Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD Conference Call July 2006: The Future Revealed

Xtreme Member

AMD Conference Call July 2006: The Future Revealed

AMD Conference Call Specifics

Here is the transcript of the call. It's lengthy, so here are some relevant excerpts:

65 nanometer

From Dirk Meyer's opening statement:

...we are on plan to ramp 65-nanometer production in the second half of this year. We expect to do so at mature yields.
    And later when asked for more detail about the 65nm rollout, Bob Rivet replied:

We will start ramping the factory in the second-half of this year, and ship into the market our first parts by the end of the year.
    Nothing really new here. 65nm seems to be on schedule.

Quad-Core

The first mention of quad-core is in Dirk Meyer's opening statement:

Leveraging the scalability of the direct-connect architecture, we also plan to demonstrate our next generation microprocessor core in a native quad-core implementation before the end of the year.
    One of the analysts, Mark Lipacis from Prudential, picked up on this, and later asked:

Dirk, I thought in the beginning in your comments, you talked something about a native quad-core, and I missed that. Would you be so kind as to review what you were talking about? Is that a change of the production schedule for quad-core?
    Meyer's reply:

High level is not really a change. It is really an amplification to what we said at the analyst conference in June. We have a new core under development. The first instantiation of which will be in a quad-core form, to be launched roughly mid '07. What I said is we will demonstrate that by the end of the year.
    The native quad-core that was discussed at the June analyst conference is K8L. So it sounds like K8L is still on schedule, with the quad-core to arrive first.

There was no mention of any rev. G quad-core. But maybe....

Secret Q3 and Q4 plans?

If you want something fun to speculate about, consider the following eyebrow-raising exchange, starting with a question by Krishna Shankar from JMP Securities:

My follow-up question is, everybody read the reviews on the competitor's new product line. Do you folks have any comment on what you have seen in terms of the trade reviews and what your upcoming AMD two socket will do in terms of the advancement in performance and power?
    Henri Richard's reply:

Of course we are looking at all of those reviews. As you know, the main feature that the AM2 socket is bringing to the market is the support of DDR2 memory. We have never presented it as a performance improvement.

We are going to continue to provide faster products to our partners. I am not going to disclose at this point in time our Q3 and Q4 plans. We are looking at what the competition is doing and they seem to be innovating at the core. We are going to continue to innovate, both at the core and at the platform level.
    Richard implies that there are as-of-yet undisclosed Q3 and Q4 plans, possibly having to do with core and/or platform improvements. I wonder at what point in time he will disclose them.

Some More Points (Perkam's)

- 45NM will start to come into production 18 months after release of 65nm. That would be Mid 2008.
    - K8L To Be Demonstrated in 2006
    - Intel's Moves Desktop Market will affect AMD's Q3 and Q4 Outlooks --> Referred to as "Challenging Environment" in second half of 2006
    - Fab 30 Running at Full Capacity
    - Reason for price cuts in Q4 is to sell inventory made in Q3
    - Fab 36 will ramp to 65nm with 20K 300mm wafers a month till the end of 2007 and continue onwards in 2008
    - Fab 30 converted to 65nm during 2007 with 2008 it starts producing 65nm chips (Building seperate building to flip the tools from 90nm to 65nm)
    - Fab 30 will never go below 50% capacity and Chartered will be picking up the Slack
    - Mid 2008 50,000 300mm Wafers a month
    - Admits AM2 was never a "performance improvement"...just a DDR2 jump
    - Dell will start to ship Opteron Server based products by End of 2006 (will pwn Sun Micro lol)
    - Native Quad Core(K8L) to be demonstrated in 2006 coming Mid 2007
    - All funding for conversions from operations and cash from balance sheet
    - 65NM Chips coming in Late 2006 will be from Fab 36 which is only being utlilized at 50% so products coming out will be coming out at a premium
    - 300MM wafer yields 30% advantage compared to 200mm wafer in terms of yields
    - All heck will break loose in Q3 because BOTH (Surprising) AMD and Intel have Inventory levels up by ~20% (AMDers can stop pointing the finger at Intel now) with words like "lots of aging inventory" being used by Hector Ruiz
    - AMD believes there is no fundamental change in Intel's OEM vs. distribution price structure.
    - Says that most of the challenge will lie in Desktop with little instability in demand for current and upcoming mobile and server products
    - Looks like a lot's riding on 65nm for AMD. Willing to take lower performance in multiple quarters to stay on track for ramp to 65nm
    - End of Year shipments for 65nm On track
    - Damn it, someone FINALLY asks about Socket F prices and they're high on "its too soon to tell".

Otherwise quite informative.
    Last edited by oldblue; 07-20-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Live Long And Overclock
    The core improvement is rev g, socket am2 was the platform improvement.

They stayed tight lipped about specifics about 65nm products (product names etc) the whole time, so thats interesting.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    So yesterday we were excited without any reason.. everything is going on schedule

Xtreme Member
    60% increase in perf/watt in 2007 with the K8L... cool
    Last edited by alayashu; 07-20-2006 at 11:05 PM.

nice! 10X

YouTube Addict
    Once again AMD remembered to keep their mouth shut about the best features
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Quote Originally Posted by alayashu
    60% increase in perf/watt in 2007 with the K8L... cool
    i like that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Once again AMD remembered to keep their mouth shut about the best features
    crap! What are the best features?
    If we skip DDR2 IMC and Pacifica Virtualization, I know no other features of sAM2 K8.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gOJDO
    If we skip DDR2 IMC and Pacifica Virtualization, I know no other features of sAM2 K8.
    Then may you live in the dark
    Last edited by Cooper; 07-21-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Then may you live in the dark blah blah blah
    Can you explain this. I have difficulties understanding and analysing BS
    Last edited by Cooper; 07-21-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Banned
    Can you explain this. I have difficulties understanding and analysing BS
    you can always use the report button

Xtreme Enthusiast
    amd does not forcast what it thinks is it's best features like intel does

they just feed us little crumbs to keep us interested , sort of have to read inbetween the lines

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost
    amd does not forcast what it thinks is it's best features like intel does they just feed us little crumbs to keep us interested , sort of have to read inbetween the lines
    AMD have allready told us their plans about the K8L. Actually I am 99% sure that they have not added any feature to the 65nm sAM2 K8. Considering that K8L is not even taped yet, we can not expect some usefull detailed info about any of the planed features. Do you remember AMD official comments about the K8 before it was released?

Xtreme Addict
    Actually I am 99% sure that they have not added any feature to the 65nm sAM2 K8.
    And you know this... how?

we can not expect some usefull detailed info about any of the planed features.
    So you know something that hasn't even been talked about by AMD?

Ryan
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3200 w/ Tuniq Tower
    2x2gb A-Data DDR2 800
    AMD/ATi HD 4870

Xtreme Addict
    AMD have allready told us their plans about the K8L. Actually I am 99% sure that they have not added any feature to the 65nm sAM2 K8. Considering that K8L is not even taped yet, we can not expect some usefull detailed info about any of the planed features. Do you remember AMD official comments about the K8 before it was released?
    LOL

Xtreme Enthusiast
    who says that the K8L isn't taped out yet ?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wow man,you out done yourself this time.You might consider informing AMD about those things,seems that even they have "wrong" informations about their own production plans

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost
    who says that the K8L isn't taped out yet ?
    Has amd said it has? you would imagine they would be the first to know

ahh that’s right, you have actually seen a k8l, haven’t you. Only at the time you thought it was a am2 and that is why you said am2 was going to have vast performance gains

http://www.amdzone.com/index.php?nam...57eab773590036

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=amd

investors were not impressed

Live Long And Overclock
    If Q3 results are good, there'll be huge volumes of AMD stocks being traded...its at its all time low right now...a good time to consider buying.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    boy, right before i was laid off by my company about 2 months ago, i was about to take soma AMD stock on...since then i've watched it drop more and more, more reason i was glad to be laid off, i feel like i'm getting a discount now.., it's now below what was the 52-week low....to wait for a 1 day raise, or get in now....
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by VulgarHandle
    boy, right before i was laid off by my company about 2 months ago, i was about to take soma AMD stock on...since then i've watched it drop more and more, more reason i was glad to be laid off, i feel like i'm getting a discount now.., it's now below what was the 52-week low....to wait for a 1 day raise, or get in now....
    It'll stay that way until Q3/Q4 results are in. This is cos thats where AMD has promised its going to start picking up pace.

If it doesn't happen, AMD could be in trouble. If it does, Intel will have to find some other way of trying to undermine AMD, because a 3 month old processor isn't going to change the world.

Perkam

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag
    Has amd said it has? you would imagine they would be the first to know

ahh that’s right, you have actually seen a k8l, haven’t you. Only at the time you thought it was a am2 and that is why you said am2 was going to have vast performance gains
    people tell me different things, more in a hint way , no one wants to be outed from their job

I heard two things from :
    -K8L (he said "K8plus", surely meant K8L, I didn't aks further) is ready, but not for production
    you noticed i did not leave any idea where he works , or who directly he got the info from

but where he works at is what i do know

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by informal
    Wow man,you out done yourself this time.You might consider informing AMD about those things,seems that even they have "wrong" informations about their own production plans
    Wow man, you are full of . Why don't you come back with something relative to the subject?

Xtreme Cruncher
    And how did you contribute to the subject?
    K8L is on time for mid '07,it's old news from June analyst day.Also in that presentation were also mentioned desktop parts based on new core in mid 07...It's all there for those who want to read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast