Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crysis 2 -- console vs. PC first impressions

Xtreme Member

Crysis 2 -- console vs. PC first impressions

Frighteningly ugly on XBox360 and very promising for PC (German)

A short summary in English:
    360 version does not look good (says ugly though I assuem they base it on a versus PC basis). Being 720p and 30fps. Mentions geometry being rendered in sub-HD (I would think they mean post-processing is very low-res like DOF etc creating aliasing for covered geometry). Version has no geometry edge smoothing thus jaggies are very obvious. Shadows look rough (low-res, low quality I would assume). "Muddy" textures and pre-computed physics animations garbled/clouded the image. Lighting, reflections and camo effect pleased us but was not enough to save the otherwise weak graphic presentation. Previously released multiplayer/promo/bullshots has pretty much nothing in common with 360 version.

PC version tested, map "Crash site", looks much better. No slowdowns and no spongy 30fps framerate. At end of gaming session they tried to examine games menu but it was disabled by Crytek. Hwoever console prompt worked. PC was running at 1920x1080, DirectX9 mode, 32bit mode with constant 60fps. Vsync was enabled. We could not get a hold of graphic settings value. PC version has MSAA which they guesstimate to 4xMSAA and estimation of 4xAF (anisotropic filtering) which they say was activated in Crysis at high settings (the 4xAF). So it might hint to being in high detail mode.

PC version also had better textures and pretty parallax mapping. Reflections, explosions, vegetation and shadows looked dramatically/drastically better than 360 version. PCGH thinks game was set to high detail setting on PC based on their observations and hopes for even more stunning 'very high' mode with DX11.

Xtreme Monster
    The difference is like night and day, no crystal ball is required.

Xtreme Addict
    Will the PC version have all four nanosuit modes? burst/single shot selector? lean movement?
    Or will it be like the console version?

I don't mind awesome graphics if playability drops to MW2 levels.

Xtreme Mentor
    SO consoles are not powerful enough to run crysis after all hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    Will the PC version have all four nanosuit modes? burst/single shot selector? lean movement?

Chances are that this may be a PC to PS3/Xbox 360 port
    Coming Soon

Xtreme X.I.P.
    uhm, hl2? lol... ouch.... ouch ouch...
    this must be the xbox360 version...

i still dont get the robot part...
    robots? in crysis? i dont get it... i really hope they dont ruin crysis2 trying to reinvent the game... they already went from great to good from far cry to crysis... i hope they dont try to "improve" the game even more :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post

They've changed how the nanosuit works, so you upgrade it according to your play style.

As for the rest, you'd have to ask those that play tested it. I do think they are being a little harsh on the 360 version though as all the preview videos we've seen have been on the console versions and they've looked good, but it can't be denied a high spec PC will slaughter both of them

I am Xtreme
    can we assume the PS3 version will be any different?

Xtreme Addict
    did they really have to write an article on this?
    i could have told them this years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    i still dont get the robot part...
    robots? in crysis? i dont get it... i really hope they dont ruin crysis2 trying to reinvent the game... they already went from great to good from far cry to crysis... i hope they dont try to "improve" the game even more :P
    there are no robots in crysis2... they are aliens... in exosuits (if they continue the stroy).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    I don't think it will be better than 360's one, PS3 is a pain to code for and most devs don't bother much with it.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Now taking this into consideration, it's easy to see why the UE3/UE3.5 is the premier choice for developers when it comes to making console games since it performs well and has fairly good graphics. It will be interesting to see whether the CryEngine 3 will be enough to persuade developers to use it, in favor over the UE3.5.
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    32 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3400 CL15 CR1
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Western Digital Raptor 600GB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Logitech G502 gaming mouse w/Razer Exact Mat
    Logitech G910 mechanical gaming keyboard
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Xtreme Member
    Gee what a shocker. A console game that has muddy textures and doesn't run in 1080p, isn't that every console game?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Console games can't even run 720p ^..........also i can't imagine how ugly a possible PS3 version would look.......Ps2 graphics?
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I don't think it will be better than 360's one, PS3 is a pain to code for and most devs don't bother much with it.
    I remember crytek ceo guy talking about PS3 capabilities, it seems they put some real effort into coding for it and extracting its potential for Crysis 2. So PS3 might even come out on top of X360 (pains me to say)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    I remember crytek ceo guy talking about PS3 capabilities, it seems they put some real effort into coding for it and extracting its potential for Crysis 2. So PS3 might even come out on top of X360 (pains me to say)
    why does it pain you to say that? the ps3 is a beast and capable of gaming at 1080p... i don't know what all this "consoles can't do 1080p" nonsense is about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Banned
    Newsflash: 4 year old silicon is slower and has less features than new silicon

Gimmie a break

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    why does it pain you to say that? the ps3 is a beast and capable of gaming at 1080p... i don't know what all this "consoles can't do 1080p" nonsense is about.
    lol i just have an irrational dislike of the PS3, cause i hate the playstation controller

Xtreme Addict
    Let me get this straight. The console version doesn't look as good as the PC version?

Shut. Down. EVERYTHING!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    i do recall reading something about CE3 and the optimizations they did for both consoles. frames on the xbox took .2 milliseconds longer. in some parts of the graphics code the ps3 dominated, and on the 360 others.

anyways i find it very funny that people complain about how CE3 would be a port and that the PC version would only look marginally better. it's almost like people want something to complain about. crytek managed to get a game to utilize the capabilities of modern graphics cards and api's then scale down to 5 year old hardware and software. pretty impressive.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read something somewhere that shows all games on PS3 and Xbox360 are rendered in a maximum resolution of 720p then upscaled to 1080p if you are using a screen that supports it.

but I guess someone could have made pong for the PS3 or 360 and it would probably render that at 30fps in 1080p fine enough... but so would the Wii.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0hkSsBNlNc

I think this is running on PS3, at the end of the video he mentions the use of the CELL and SPEs and about the inferior GPU compared to the 360.
    so I would expect the console versions to be similar,

almost all of the console games are rendered in 720p or less in many cases, in most of the multiplatform games the 360 version is slightly superior, because of it's superior GPU, memory design and development tools I guess?
    Last edited by Spectrobozo; 08-21-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
    Newsflash: 4 year old silicon is slower and has less features than new silicon

Gimmie a break
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    the biggest flaw in current gen consoles is the limited RAM. Textures wont look as good since there is no where to put them, the xbox only has 512mb RAM to allocate between the CPU and GFX card, considering how much space animation data, pathfinding, game data takes I'm even surprise they still have the space for things like high poly models and decent res textures, oh wait that's right they don't.

The PS3 is by all accounts an absolute to program for, and often the return in investment just isn't worth it. I am slightly optimistic about the new crysis game even though I didn't enjoy the original too much. There hasn't been too much choice in the FPS genre lately.

Tho I'll +1 every poster in the thread that mentioned that its absolutely no surprise it looks worse on console... I dont think anyone thought it would look good!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read something somewhere that shows all games on PS3 and Xbox360 are rendered in a maximum resolution of 720p then upscaled to 1080p if you are using a screen that supports it.
    "most" of them. Some games do run naively in 1080p, but those are indeed less taxing on the hardware; duh

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Mentor
    A time to upgrade PC
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast