View Poll Results: How much can chilled water improves temps?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • >8 deg celcius drop

24 72.73%
  • 6-8 deg celcius drop

2 6.06%
  • 4-6 deg celcius drop

2 6.06%
  • 3-4 deg celcius drop

2 6.06%
  • 1-2 deg celcius drop

1 3.03%
  • 0 (no changes, waste of effort)

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much can chilled water improves temps?

Xtreme Addict

Question How much can chilled water improves temps?

this is a stupid question .. but i cant afford to do the experiments .. so i would to know from your experiences, if i may ..

By flowing chilled water (maybe 5-10 deg celcius) to the any CPU waterblock, can chilled water improves temps? If so, how much would you think it'll drop?
    provided the room temp is around 28 deg celcius or so ..

it's been bugging me for sometime .. i've been doing reading on various articles and often mislead .. hope u guys can enlightment me

Xtreme Addict
    You COULD pull subambient with those temps. Depends on heat load and how good the chiller is.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Your temps will drop exactly in proportion to your drop in coolant temps. If your coolant will run at 5C instead of 35C your temps will drop by 30 degrees.
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

I am Xtreme
    i agree with Linus

temps are linear...drop 30...and you get 30 less...seems redundant...but yeah..

Engineering The Xtreme
    you just need some way to control chiller power with system load, otherwise when the system idles the water will freeze or you will get condensation on your tubes and WB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There's a reason we measure block performance in terms of delta. Yes there are always differences between real life and physics calculations, but you can assume that ~30 degree fluid drop = ~30 degree CPU drop. Yeah you might lose a degree or two here or there if you use a thermal compound that's no good for near zero temps or w/e, but who knows, Saturn may also align with Pluto in the sky from the southern hemisphere and cause your girlfriend to have an immaculate conception, and then you'd have other things on your mind...
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How are you planning on chilling the liquid?

As someone has already stated, as soon as the water falls below the ambient temp the radiator will work in reverse.

Xtreme Addict
    This depends on how cold you are chilling the liquid really, just be careful of running below ambient temps and conformal coat everything if you do. I have several friends running sub-ambient fluid in several different ways and all have very good results. For anything other than benchmarking using a chiller for sub-ambient temps is usually more bs than it's worth tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't care, I'm running out of popcorn waiting for the results..

Xtreme Addict
    Well if you drop your ambient temp by 30c how would you expect your cpu temps to reflect this change? Your temps will go down roughly 30c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't care, I'm running out of popcorn waiting for the results..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by .Logic View Post
    How are you planning on chilling the liquid?

As someone has already stated, as soon as the water falls below the ambient temp the radiator will work in reverse.
    i'm not sure .. maybe external devices .. but not too chill ones

Xtreme Member
    Or maybe just don't have a radiator?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The easiest way to chill you liquid is through the use of a TEC powered heat exchanger... One water loop cooling the hotside another loop taking the nice cold water to the CPU

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Yes, but space is a problem. Straight TEC blocks are more efficient in that regard, although the problem then becomes getting a high-enough powered TEC in a small enough size that you can run it in efficiency range while still being able to strap it to your CPU.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Yes, but space is a problem. Straight TEC blocks are more efficient in that regard, although the problem then becomes getting a high-enough powered TEC in a small enough size that you can run it in efficiency range while still being able to strap it to your CPU.

unless you sandwich 2 or 3 TEC's between two custom waterblocks (TEC's in parallel, not series) like done here. One water block for the hot loop, and one water block for the cold loop

While this will work, and if scaled accordingly, will work well, but it will also use a LOT of energy to do so.

If you want to go sub ambient, TEC's are a waste of time, they use a LOT of energy but won't come close to refrigerated temps. A standard water cooling loop with a HUGE radiator, like a car radiator, will keep your coolant at ambient, so your cpu's temperature would be ambient temp plus waterblocks thermal resistance

WCG Cruncher
    I went through a few TEC builds; I think TECs are a pita. They require a dedicated cooling and electric system. They draw alot of power, and cooling isn't that great. Too much babysitting with too little return for me. If you want chilled liquid, do the ever-popular a/c conversion:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=121395
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=173895
    It seems that people try to calculate the heat load vs. chiller capacity to get temps below ambient but above dew point to avoid condensation and insulation. I don't have the patience or brain-power for that. It seems like you're going for an exact calculation with too many variables. Insulate the heck out of it, and you won't have to worry about condensation. Then you can seriously chill it. With a good a/c unit you can get -20C. Another option is to find a chiller with a built-in heat exchanger that was ripped from a piece of lab equipment, they are on ebay occasionally.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    if you go str8 chiller on your CPU, really depends on how far you chill the fluid. You can go sub zero with the high end chillers.
    How can you go subzero??? Water freezes at 0 C.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

I am Xtreme
    anti-freeze works...

i think my theory about the 30c was to ideal..lol

@op ever considered aquarium water chillers? they go down to about 4-10c if i remember correctly...

WCG Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    Use a mix of denatured alcohol and distilled water. people also use winter-rated windshield washer fluid

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Mentor
    Going sub zero is easy with water, just add a compound of your choice!
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony View Post
    Going sub zero is easy with water, just add a compound of your choice!
    What do you recommend for sub-zero chiller. I don't know idle temps yet, but let's say -20C.

Mixture??
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Admin
    My vote always is and has been denatured alcohol.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    One thing, and its not exactly a safe bet.
    Is water in motion doesnt freeze at 32f or 0c.

Other factors include.. altitude,humidity,pressure the water is under,etc.
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Xtreme Mentor
    depends how low your going for -10 -20 antifreeze will be good enough, how ever with a weak pump consider Alcohol with some glycerin to help lubricate the pump, or if mixed metals alcohol and antifreeze.

Colder you go the more you adjust the ratio of compound to water. Hell you could use Calcium chloride if you wanted, brine cooling is what some super markets use to cool their food racks!
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    My vote always is and has been denatured alcohol.
    my vote goes for straight ethanol so you can drink the remainder after filling the loop cheap vodka does wonders!

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    my vote goes for straight ethanol so you can drink the remainder after filling the loop cheap vodka does wonders!
    They're the same thing, it's just that drinking one will kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast