Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DigiFlow 8000T Flow Rate Meter Review

Banned
    http://forum.effizienzgurus.de/showp...&postcount=134 seems to be the right circuit board for the SF800 divider, too bad it's in german so I need someone with german or electronics knowledge to confirm this.

the forum page with this translated : http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=fr&ie=UTF-8 then just jump on page 6 for the diagram and the notes.
    Last edited by Xilikon; 11-26-2007 at 08:30 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    The diagram on page 6 or the revision on page 7?
    Its 40 years since my high school german. Wasn't too good at it even then. lol
    Last edited by Jedda; 11-26-2007 at 09:00 AM.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedda View Post
    The diagram on page 6 or the revision on page 7?
    Its 40 years since my high school german. Wasn't too good at it even then. lol
    Missed the revised version, thanks for pointing it out.

Banned
    http://www.turbokeu.com/myprojects.htm is a page with some details about the SF800 and his own schematics to directly read the flowmeter feed in a LCD. I'm sure he know how to build a divider circuity so contact him at :

turbokeu at turbokeu.com

info at turbokeu.com

turbokeu at skynet.be

I also made a post on the Aquacomputer forum in hope someone got something to hook the SF800 to the Aquaero.

Quote Originally Posted by Exahertz View Post
    Very true. But i think it could be dissasymbled, display moved someware in the case and the inline sensor unmounted from the cover and rewired.
    It would look bad if you did that, where do you hide it when you have an acrylic case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
    http://www.turbokeu.com/myprojects.htm is a page with some details about the SF800 and his own schematics to directly read the flowmeter feed in a LCD. I'm sure he know how to build a divider circuity so contact him at :

turbokeu at turbokeu.com

info at turbokeu.com

turbokeu at skynet.be

I also made a post on the Aquacomputer forum in hope someone got something to hook the SF800 to the Aquaero.
    I've just read through this and I have to tell you that I’m totally out of my depth trying to understand and interoperate what I will need to do when my Swissflow SF800 comes.

I think I need to get myself on an electronics course, because all of a sudden I feel totally inadequate ha ha .

I hope all you gifted guys that are knowledgeable in this area will be helpfull.

This schematic is ment to digitally display the output of my electronic Swissflow SF800 flow sensor. This sensor puts out an open collector square wave signal (like a fan RPM monitoring signal) between 50Hz (=0.5 liter/minute) and 2000Hz (=20 liter/minute). By dividing the measured frequency by 10 and putting the decimal point at the right place you get directly a display in liter/minute. I don't use the first digit output (output D) from the 74C925 to obtain a display of 10 to 9990Hz or xx.x liter/minute. Resistor R1 (2k2) is there for accomodating the open collector output of the SF800 to a 5V TTL signal, available at connector J1.
    The schematic I designed is based on a old well known Fairchild Semiconductor counter IC, the MM74C925. It's basically a 4-digit counter with seven segment-decoder & multiplexer and counter & latch registers.
    The other sections of the schematic include a precise 0.5Hz timebase for the measuring time (during the positive cycle of the clock = 1 second = 1measure/2 seconds), based on a Philips HEF4521 crystal oscillator & 24-stage divider. This oscillator oscillates at 4.194308MHz and the output signal is taken from output Q23 which represents a dividing factor of 2^23 (=8.388.608) and serves as gate signal for IC3B (CD4093 NAND Schmitt trigger). Integrator IC3A creates the periodical latch enable signal and integrator IC3C produces the periodical reset signal, also from the 0.5Hz timebase signal.
    The 7805 regulator delivers a stable 5V power supply from the 12V PSU line for the 74C925, the HEF4521 and the CD4093.
    The segment driver output of the 74C925 is buffered by an ULN2003. With the shown values of R6-R12 (150 ohm) the peak output current per segment through the displays is about 40mA to compensate for the duty cycle of 25% and the multiplexing frequency of 1000Hz.
    The 7-segment displays are (ofcourse) blue displays, the 0.56" common anode LT-5501 from Liteon. Blue leds have a forward voltage of about 3.8-4.0V, and taken into account the 0.9V saturation voltage of the ULN2003 output and the 0.7V saturation voltage of a BC327, +5V power supply was insufficient, and the displays are powered from the the +12V line. Since the digit driver outputs of the 74C925 only outputs 3 to 4 volts, it's not sufficient to saturate driver transistors T2, T4 and T6 (BC327 PNP's) and I added T1, T3, T5 (BC547 NPN's) to bypass this issue.
    My Eheim 1250 pump delivers a flow of 1200 liter/minute at 0" head. Taken into account the pressure drop from radiator, water blocks, tubing and flow sensor it's quite possible that the final water flow will be under 10 liter/minute (600 liter/minute). In that case the first digit will always indicate "0". Therefore I will show both the schematics and PCB layouts for XX.X liter/minute display and for X.XX liter/minute display.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
    It would look bad if you did that, where do you hide it when you have an acrylic case
    Well from a cosmetic standpoint i see were your coming from (you have to be real carful about things when it comes to the acrylic case). but i only have a window so i could hide it out of sight.

just a quick thought... do they make flow sensors that you can plug into the mother board as a fan and send flow rates as RPM? cuz you could easily convert the RPM into GPM, LH or any other unit in software. the hardest part i think would be making the correction charts for RPM/GPM
    Last edited by Exahertz; 11-26-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    Current System Build
    Designaton:" Rad Hat "
      GPU: BFG 8800GTX | BFG 8600GT (Quad Monitor Setup)
    • Hard Drives:
      RAID: 2x 74GB Raptors on RAID 0 for OS Drives
    • Case and Power Supply:
      Case: Antec Case | PS: OCZ ProXstreame 1000W
    • Water Cooling:
      Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B | Rad: Dual Swiftech MCR320's | Fans: 6x Yate Loon D12SH-12's (W/ Variable RPM Rheostat) @ 88CFM Max Each - 528CFM Total!!!
    • (Water Blocks and Fittings):
      CPU: D-Tek Fusion Block | GPU: Danger Den Full Coverage 8800 Block | Mobo: EK's Mosfet, NorthBridge and SouthBridge Blocks
      Res: Swiftech Micro | Tee's: 4x MartinM's High Flow Copper Tee's | Elbow's: None | Y's: None
    Flow Order: >> Rad's 1 & 2 in parallel > Res > Pump > CPU > GPU > SB > NB > Mosfet 1 > Mosfet 2 >>
    Temperatures: CPU: 57°C Max, Running Prime95 | GPU: 58.3°C Max, Running 3Dmark | NorthBridge: Untested!
    Last Updated 11/11/09

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ladderman View Post
    I've just read through this and I have to tell you that I’m totally out of my depth trying to understand and interoperate what I will need to do when my Swissflow SF800 comes.

I think I need to get myself on an electronics course, because all of a sudden I feel totally inadequate ha ha .

I hope all you gifted guys that are knowledgeable in this area will be helpfull.

Yeah well.
    I think you'd be far better off trying to get this guy to make what you need.
    Going off on a tangent setting up the gear to create your own PCBs is counter productive.
    What he's described is a PCB display for the flow meter, rather than a signal dividing circuit so the flowmeter could hook to your M-cube or Aqueiro.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hehe. You guys are over my head on the electronics piece of the SSF 800, I can wire just about anything automotive, or household, but when it comes to real electronics....I was pretty happy with myself finishing the first half of my electronics learning lab exercises...

Xtreme Member
    Yeah well.
    I think you'd be far better off trying to get this guy to make what you need.
    Going off on a tangent setting up the gear to create your own PCBs is counter productive.
    What he's described is a PCB display for the flow meter, rather than a signal dividing circuit so the flowmeter could hook to your M-cube or Aqueiro.

I’m aware of what this guy is building. I was just making comments on the degree of expertise needed to do it.

My intension is to use an SF800 in conjunction with the mCubed Sensor hub. What I am saying is I may struggle to understand the schematic that comes with the SF800 if I need to wire it correctly to the mCubed Sensor hub.

Xtreme Member
    This is a nice flowmeter, very compact and includes a bult-in readout. The thread about my Protues flow meter didn't appear to raise as much interest, though...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegadetHCl View Post
    This is a nice flowmeter, very compact and includes a bult-in readout. The thread about my Protues flow meter didn't appear to raise as much interest, though...
    That's a much more robust setup there, great work!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegadetHCl View Post
    Just read your thread, love the set-up. But on cost alone would be totally unrealistic. If a Flowmeter like that cost $295 it would cost double that here in the UK, and you are using two. The Flowmeters must be worth more than the rest of your rig

They look great though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2flowmeters5.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	67892  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I also posted this in the OP, but I just wanted to follow up with some actual pressure drop testing of this flow meter that I ran tonight.

I also did a complete retest on the flow reading and got nearly the same results. My original test which used a graduated bucket and stopwatch identified an average 11% High reading delta to actual flow rate.

Doing that same comparison using my new King Instruments flow meter resulted in a 13% High reading delta...consistent results

The pressure drop test, actually less restriction than an MCW-30 which is the least restrictive block tested to date. Nice and low restriction for a flow meter

Xtreme Mentor
    That's really a good result then, Martin.
    You're getting a very nice test bench together. Should help lift your spread-sheet tool to even higher hights.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Man, you are outta control...in a good way! I'm glad to see you're enjoying your new gear.

Have you tested a swissflow for accuracy or pressure drop?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by headala View Post
    Man, you are outta control...in a good way! I'm glad to see you're enjoying your new gear.

Have you tested a swissflow for accuracy or pressure drop?
    +1 for a Swissflow SF800 test

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks guys!

The new test gear is alot of fun, it's amazing how much faster it is to test than the old bucket/stopwatch method. Then there was the actual manometers...all 16' of them...

Now I've got instant results, and so far even more consistent/accurate too. I've had a few bad graphs in the past outdoor manometer setup, and so far with this..I'm consitently getting a very nice set of data that fits a nice parabolic curve very well (very little deviation).

Anyhow, no I have not tested a swissflow, although I suspect it's a much higher precision tool. This little DigiFlow is pretty cheap and low on quality, so I'm not too suprised by the reading errors.

I'd be happy to test any extras anyone might have..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Thanks guys!

The new test gear is alot of fun, it's amazing how much faster it is to test than the old bucket/stopwatch method. Then there was the actual manometers...all 16' of them...

Now I've got instant results, and so far even more consistent/accurate too. I've had a few bad graphs in the past outdoor manometer setup, and so far with this..I'm consitently getting a very nice set of data that fits a nice parabolic curve very well (very little deviation).

Anyhow, no I have not tested a swissflow, although I suspect it's a much higher precision tool. This little DigiFlow is pretty cheap and low on quality, so I'm not too suprised by the reading errors.

I'd be happy to test any extras anyone might have..
    I will see if I can order a Swissflow myself then borrow it to you for some testing. I don't need it asap

We need some guys (me included) with a SF800 to build a good setup for flow reading.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
    I will see if I can order a Swissflow myself then borrow it to you for some testing. I don't need it asap

We need some guys (me included) with a SF800 to build a good setup for flow reading.
    Sounds great! Every time I test something new, I'll plan on adding it into the estimator to so you can tinker with it..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Sounds great! Every time I test something new, I'll plan on adding it into the estimator to so you can tinker with it..
    I have sent a request for infos to Swissflow and I'll let everyone know how we can order a few. I'm feeling it would be impossible to do a normal order for a single unit but only in bulk so if it is the case, I'll see if I could organize a group buy (with a deposit) and lend one to Martinm210 for testing and adding in the flowrate estimator.

This is unless someone know where I can buy a single SF800 new or used. PM me if you have the infos or own one yourself for sale.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I bought mine as a single direct from Swissflow in Europe. I think the guy's name was Dirk.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks!

I know someone offered me to borrow a swissflow before, but it was before I had my internal test rig built and I didn't want to borrow it for a long time. Now I'm just interested in running a quick curve for it and checking flow rate accuracy.

Xtreme Mentor
    Swissflo will sell you one direct for 25 euros and asked 8 euros to send it to australia.
    They've set up a paypal account to handle it too.
    I had an exchange of emails with them last year and they set it up for direct sales to LC enthusiasts then. Before they were whole sale only.
    Good guys, great price!

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Banned
    Swissflo will sell you one direct for 25 euros and asked 8 euros to send it to australia.
    They've set up a paypal account to handle it too.
    I had an exchange of emails with them last year and they set it up for direct sales to LC enthusiasts then. Before they were whole sale only.
    Good guys, great price!
    Thanks for the info. I saw a old post saying they will only take orders of 50+ at a time but it was in 2005. Looks like they recognized the enthusiast market and setup to help them...

I also received a email from them with a pps presentation and asked me for what purpose I'm interested to the SF800. I will explain what I wanted and see what I can do
    Last edited by Xilikon; 12-17-2007 at 07:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast