Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon HD 7000 Revealed: AMD to Mix GCN with VLIW4 & VLIW5 Architectures

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If 7950 is below or on par with GTX580, then a 7970 will only be 20-25% faster - otherwise they would put an additional model there. So IF that arrangement is true, Tahiti XT won't exceed GTX580+25%. And that would surely be dissapointing.

Xtreme Addict
    Lol, Nvidia fanboys are going out of the forest ?
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    I for one, am just hoping it leave my 5870 in the dust. I want a new card, and if they impress, the 7970 will be it. I had another 5870 in the system for crossfire, but man, it was nothing but headaches and crashes. I guess crossfire just doesn't agree with me? Lol.
    Intel i7-2700k@ 4.7ghz (46x102)
    Asus P8Z68 Deluxe GEN3
    G.Skill 2x4gb RipjawX 2133 11-11-11-30
    GTX 680 1220/7000
    Corsair TX750W
    Razer Lachesis w/ Razer Pro|Pad
    1x160gb Seagate HDD, 2x1tb Seagate HDD
    LG 22" 226WTQ & BenQ G2400WD
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fanboy is an insult. Please refrain from that in the future. People are just speculating here.

Xtreme Guru
    One thing to remember is that NVIDIA did their "big move" towards a true ground up DX11 architecture with Fermi and paid the price. If AMD does the same thing, then they will pay the same price and learn the same (very hard) lessons.

AMD has essentially been using the same basic architecture since the DX10 days and has gradually added modules for DX11 compatibility. So, the move to a ground up DX11 architecture may be a tough one.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @Soultaker52
    Could have also been your meager 750watt PSU. Two 5870's in Crossfire consume 670watts using this setup.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    One thing to remember is that NVIDIA did their "big move" towards a true ground up DX11 architecture with Fermi and paid the price. If AMD does the same thing, then they will pay the same price and learn the same (very hard) lessons.

AMD has essentially been using the same basic architecture since the DX10 days and has gradually added modules for DX11 compatibility. So, the move to a ground up DX11 architecture may be a tough one.
    I concur with you Mr Rodent.

Xtreme Member
    7950? Oh that brings back memories...

GX2.
    ASUS Rampage III Gene - i7940 - 6GB Corsair Dominators 1600 - HIS HD 5870 - Seasonic x650 - Intel 80GB G2 - SuperTalent 60GB GX2 - Seagate 1.5 TB Green - LanGear DaBox

Xtreme Member
    @3lfk1ng
    Hmm.. I was thinking that could have been related. Though I've seen people running such setups fine with lesser PSU's. The crashing happened when clock speeds changed though. When I forced it to stay at my OC'd speeds constantly, it wouldn't crash. The performance just didn't feel amazing though. Maybe I'm expecting too much?
    Intel i7-2700k@ 4.7ghz (46x102)
    Asus P8Z68 Deluxe GEN3
    G.Skill 2x4gb RipjawX 2133 11-11-11-30
    GTX 680 1220/7000
    Corsair TX750W
    Razer Lachesis w/ Razer Pro|Pad
    1x160gb Seagate HDD, 2x1tb Seagate HDD
    LG 22" 226WTQ & BenQ G2400WD
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Xtreme Addict

One more way AMD is going to also pay a monster price is driver performance. If GCN is much more different, much of the driver optimizations for their old architecture will not come about. Considering how long it took for the 3870 to get performance up to snuff with the 8800gt, it might be a year before we see good driver performance from AMD.

A 40 percent jump or say 25 percent faster than a gtx 580 wouldn't be that bad, with immature drivers it could go to 40% in half a year. Expecting 80-100 percent is too much considering the driver team from AMD and the new architecture. No one gets it right the first time anymore and I think AMD is taking risks, expect to see some eratic performance jumps.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    @Soultaker52
    Could have also been your meager 750watt PSU. Two 5870's in Crossfire consume 670watts using this setup.
    i doubt thats the problem
    two 5870 in cf only use ~300w while gaming or up to ~400w with fur + other components
    i was running two gtx480 @875mhz 1138mv stable 940mhz 1150mv benchmarking with a 2600k at 4.4 1.3v 24\7 stable 5ghz 1.45v benchmarking also on a tx750w psu for several months power draw at gaming clocks was ~500-600w at the wall and peaked at ~740w benching although being on 240v may have helped
    the psu was working a bit when overclcoked its fan would become rather loud but at stock clocks the psu fan stayed quiet
    two gtx480 at stock use ~470w gaming ~610w max fur

my mate had two 5850 in cf and had nothing but problems with them while at the same time my 4870x2 was fine (oh also tried two 4870x2 on this psu for a quick bench...)
    from what i have seen around the net it looks like the 5000 cards just had a lot more driver problems in cf than most cards from ati

it will be nice to finally see some real data would love to buy two or three hd7000 cards myself to replace these 480
    Last edited by dasa; 12-06-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One thing to remember is that NVIDIA did their "big move" towards a true ground up COMPUTE architecture with Fermi and paid the price. If AMD does the same thing, then they MIGHT pay the same price and learn the same (very hard) lessons.
    Fixed that for you. It's likely that AMD's big push into compute will come up with some of the issues Fermi had, but as a reviewer who I'm assuming hasn't gotten his hands on hardware yet, I wouldn't be talking in such absolutes about unreleased parts. Kind of looks bad, and preconceived notions can be a dangerous thing.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    If 7950 is below or on par with GTX580, then a 7970 will only be 20-25% faster - otherwise they would put an additional model there. So IF that arrangement is true, Tahiti XT won't exceed GTX580+25%. And that would surely be dissapointing.
    There are multiple sets of performance numbers out... I wouldn't read too much into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    One more way AMD is going to also pay a monster price is driver performance. If GCN is much more different, much of the driver optimizations for their old architecture will not come about. Considering how long it took for the 3870 to get performance up to snuff with the 8800gt, it might be a year before we see good driver performance from AMD.

A 40 percent jump or say 25 percent faster than a gtx 580 wouldn't be that bad, with immature drivers it could go to 40% in half a year. Expecting 80-100 percent is too much considering the driver team from AMD and the new architecture. No one gets it right the first time anymore and I think AMD is taking risks, expect to see some eratic performance jumps.
    Or maybe it has the opposite effect.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    should I sell the 6950 now? how soon is this coming?
    Without any pressure from Nvidia I would expect AMD to release the 7xxx series at a price in line with their current offerings just like they did with the 5xxx series. Thats the best way to win marketshare.

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post

I've never seen any huge performance boosts across the board with drivers. With 6950 I can't think of any games that saw some serious gains with just driver updates and thats not a bad thing. That card did really well out of the gate and that includes crossfire performance. New games is one thing but not in older titles.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 12-06-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
    Fixed that for you. It's likely that AMD's big push into compute will come up with some of the issues Fermi had, but as a reviewer who I'm assuming hasn't gotten his hands on hardware yet, I wouldn't be talking in such absolutes about unreleased parts. Kind of looks bad, and preconceived notions can be a dangerous thing.
    No absolutes were discussed in my post. I was just mentioning that from an architectural standpoint, there are many hurdles for AMD to overcome in order for their theoretical DX11 to reach NVIDIA's current levels, particularly with AA enabled. I never said they couldn't do it. Quite the contrary actually since the amount of engineering intelligence housed in AMD's GPU division is mind boggling.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
    SKYMTL is probably the most honest reviewer I have yet to see. With that said, though, he has his own opinion...as we all do, and as long he isn't under NDA he is as free as we are to discuss the rumours we keep getting
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Xtreme Mentor

I agree but I think amd will have less wafer issues to deal with than nvidia did with the big original fermi chip.

look at the driver progression of the gtx 480 it definetly got better with age like a good wine. Drivers updates helped it a lot more so than a lot of other architectures.

we will see ;-)
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    I agree but I think amd will have less wafer issues to deal with than nvidia did with the big original fermi chip.

look at the driver progression of the gtx 480 it definetly got better with age like a good wine. Drivers updates helped it a lot more so than a lot of other architectures.

we will see ;-)
    I personally am thinking about getting an NV card next round purely because of drivers. CCC crashes on me way too much for my liking
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post

we will see ;-)
    Actually, that is what I was referring to. A true DX11 rendering pipeline + additional compute resources takes up a ton of die space. That's what NV had to find out the hard way.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD Radeon HD 7000 fiasco as Bulldozer - likely Yes!

AMD sent to several manufacturers info-slides about the new Radeon HD Graphics 7000. According to first estimates results in the slides, AMD-fans will be disappointed. Game performance against the current ty-slow cards with Cayman not significantly increased, but consumption is relatively high for an advanced 28nm process. Stay tuned .... some slides will be here soon!
    Last edited by cold2010; 12-06-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    There are multiple sets of performance numbers out... I wouldn't read too much into that one.

Or maybe it has the opposite effect.
    I just don't see it though. The more powerful these things cards get, the more driver work needs to come into play. Most games, can't close to come to utilize all the power of a card, especially because most of them are console ports, and driver's must be specifically written to take advantage of these things. All games that are out of the moment for PC, are written to take advantage of current technology, not future technology like 7xxx. As a result, the driver team is really responsible for getting performance up, because they are doing all the work for scraping out performance, rather than the software companies making the games who mostly cater to the lowest common denominator and barely care for new hardware. Unless a game is sponsored by a hardware company, there is little purposes for them to code for new hardware.

AMD current driver set is so focused on vliw architecture that they are going to have to start from the ground up. In addition, it just seems hard for AMD to put out a good product as of late, Bulldozer and cayman were both let downs. Considering how much markets they are trying to get into, I have a feeling is AMD is spreading itself too thin. I have a feeling, GCN, is going to have a lot of growing pains, it won't get it completely right this generation and it will get alot better with generation 2. It is amazing that AMD has this much of a headstart over NV. I have a feeling things were rushed to get there and AMD just has to be 15-25% performance jump over a gtx 580 to justify an above $450-550 price tag. The 5870 atleast according to techpowerup, was 25% faster than a gtx 280. And look how well the sales of that card were. This is the optimal pricepoint for the highend because we are in a recessions and people don't want to pay 600+ for cards anymore.

AMD doesn't need crazy performance to sell and it doesn't need a completely polished product to sell. What is more important is getting a headstart on the competition, as AMD probably learned from the 58xx generation or on the opposite end during the 88xx NV generation. In addition, Nvidia is no intel when it comes to branding strength, people won't wait for NV, as they would for an Intel product. It in there best interest to leave room for performance if they face no competition for 5-8 months before NV drops there product, that way, when they release 8xxx, they have a product(a quick refresh) that looks great as well without sinking a huge amount of money into R and D and time into it. If southern islands is too good off the bat, unless it is fundamentally broken, it will be hard to have 8xxx look good if they are stuck at 28nm. Also considering it is second generation, it would likely beat nvidia's first generation of keplar. Intel has products that could at the moment grind AMD into dust, but they don't release them to get as much return on investment on their current research and their own products would become competition(as well as anti-trust issues).
    Last edited by tajoh111; 12-06-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    OBR, lol.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    HD7400-7600M just rebrands?
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22120

I thought these were supposed to be 28nm chips.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    OBR, lol.
    I remember how people were laughing at his posts about bulldozer until bulldozer launch day...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaho View Post
    I remember how people were laughing at his posts about bulldozer until bulldozer launch day...
    he's adding too much hate into his articles to be taken seriously; it doesn't matter what or where his sources are
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast