Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TPU singlepcb 295 review is up! 20-55W higher power consumption

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post

Testbed: W3540 @ 4GHz, EVGA Classified, 2x GeForce GTX 295 (new and old)

Temps Idle:

old: 54C, new: 50C

Temp Load: (2nd test 3dmark vantage at Extreme preset)

old: 85C, new: 69C!

Temp Load: (Furmark)

old: 100C, new: 78C!

Power Consuption

idle old: 257W, new: 254W
    load old: 430W, new: 432W

TechPowerUp says BS about Power Consumption, like always ...
    Here's his post again:

Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    ah hi OBR. good to see you commenting on our reviews not only on tpu.
    how do you measure power? wall? card power? whats the resolution, repeatability, calibration of your device? how often do you sample power draw? how do you calculate your average? how do you load the card? which app? which resolution? whats the rest of your test system like?
    I'll summarize it for you:

1. How do you measure power? wall? card power?
    2. What's the resolution?
    3. What's the repeatability, calibration of your device?
    4. How often do you sample power draw?
    5. How do you calculate your average?
    6. How do you load the card? which app? which resolution?
    7. Whats the rest of your test system like?

As far as I can tell, you have only answered ONE of those questions.

Perhaps you would like to elaborate?

Perkam

Xtreme Legend
    one more question. WHEN do you measure power consumption? card installed right into the pc and booted up? card sitting idle for x minutes? right after load run? i noticed pretty big differences between those scenarios.

my guess is that with temperature of the _whole_ card some resistances/electric properties of components change that affect current draw. any EEs to comment on this ?

Xtreme Mentor
    one more question. WHEN do you measure power consumption? card installed right into the pc and booted up? card sitting idle for x minutes? right after load run? i noticed pretty big differences between those scenarios.

my guess is that with temperature of the _whole_ card some resistances/electric properties of components change that affect current draw. any EEs to comment on this ?
    Yes, that is the case for every silicon. With temp. increase increases resistance of the circuit. That's one of the reasons why superconducting so far only happened in very low temps. That's also why colder means better clocks.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    Yes, that is the case for every silicon. With temp. increase increases resistance of the circuit. That's one of the reasons why superconducting so far only happened in very low temps. That's also why colder means better clocks.
    That does not necessarily apply when your dealing with semi-conductors. Most semi-conductive materials have a negative temperature coefficient where temperature decrease results in lower conductive ability/higher resistance.

am I wrong?
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    That does not necessarily apply when your dealing with semi-conductors. Most semi-conductive materials have a negative temperature coefficient where temperature decrease results in lower conductive ability/higher resistance.

am I wrong?
    Well, that probably was the problem with AMD's cold bug on 90/65nm process. Depends on what type of doping was used for silicon.
    Anyway by my own observations I've concluded that at least in temperatures above 0C higher temp. equals more power consumption. Of course PWM is affecting this, but here we are discussing power consumption fluctuations of the test systems used in the tests. Therefore we can agree that temperature has influence.

My own system in sig using exactly the same test environment under load had close to 30W higher consumption after 30min. burn-in.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Guru
    TechPowerUp says BS about Power Consumption, like always ...
    Coming from the guy that would win title of "The most BS XS member", if such a vote was called, that's pretty funny.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Legend
    lol OBR
    why not answer some questions there
    they are pretty important on how you draw your conclusions
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Im afraid and pretty sure you wont get answers you want from OBR
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO B3 + Intel i5-2500k @ 5.0 GHz + Noctua NH-D14
    8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance XMP (kit 2x 4GB) 1866MHz / Gainward Geforce GTX470 SLI watercooled
    120GB SSD Kingston HyperX (games) / 1x 30GB SSD OCZ Vertex Turbo (system)
    22" LG IPS226V-PN / PSU Fortron AURUM GOLD 700(W) / Cooler Master HAF Tower RC-932

Banned
    why not to answer? Yes i do it, but i have lot of work ... i cannot to sit whole day on forums, i am working.
    1. How do you measure power? wall? card power?
    2. What's the resolution?
    3. What's the repeatability, calibration of your device?
    4. How often do you sample power draw?
    5. How do you calculate your average?
    6. How do you load the card? which app? which resolution?
    7. Whats the rest of your test system like?

1. Wall - (only rig, without monitor) - using Metrix TRMS PX 120
    2. Resolution: 2560x1600
    3. Yes that pretty expensive device has been calibrated ...
    4. Whole 2nd test 3DMark Vantage ...
    5. Device measuring average in predefined time (during test)
    6. Idle - after Windows starting up + when consuptin is +/- stabilized
    6. Load - 3DMark Vantage Extreme, 2nd test (Calico)
    7. Test bed: Core i7 @ 1,3V, EVGA Classified, 6GB Corsairs, 1x common HDD SATA, 1x fan on RAM, 2x fan on CPUs, no sound card ... look at the picture above, this is actual testbed
    largon: funny you are and your funny AMD/ATi craps ... HD4870X2 is parody to performance for noobs only and Phenoms II too ...
    Last edited by OBR; 07-05-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Dudes stop that whinging before someone makes you stop it and locks this thread.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Legend
    are you measuring active, reactive or apparent power ? what differences do you see between those three measurements?

Banned
    Power consumption in reviews:

Zol.com.cn (first review):
    Idle

295old: 181W
    295new: 176W

Load

295old: 427W
    295new: 423W

Guru3D
    Idle

295old: 239W
    295new: 239W

Load

295old: 406W
    295new: 411W

PCGHW
    Idle

295old: 62W
    295new: 59W

Load

295old: 213W
    295new: 211W

My measuring
    Idle

295old: 257W
    295new: 254W

Load

295old: 430W
    295new: 432W

TPU!
    Idle

295old: 213W
    295new: 237W

Load

295old: 352W
    295new: 381W

Only on TPU is Power consuption higher ...
    Next time, measure better Wizzard

BUT maybe i know, where is problem ...
    Wizzard measured OLD GTX 295 with GeForce 181.20 driver and newer with GeForce 186.18. I had both card here with last driver measured.

Xtreme Legend
    BUT maybe i know, where is problem ...
    Wizzard measured OLD GTX 295 with GeForce 181.20 driver and newer with GeForce 186.18. I had both card here with last driver measured.
    oh yes. that is correct. could you test power consumption of old and new driver? maybe check if the 2d clocks are different

Xtreme Member
    2. Resolution: 2560x1600
    LOL! I might be wrong but i think he meant your measuring resolution not your display res.

As for the fluctuations in different cards, are all the cards made at the same factory? IE same brand capacitors, resistors, etc? I would hazard a guess and say that if various manufacturers used different brand components that they would account for more of the fluctuation that the actual silicon of the GPUs.

I might talking BS here, its been around 5yrs since I changed my major from engineering to comp sci.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldon View Post
    LOL! I might be wrong but i think he meant your measuring resolution not your display res.

As for the fluctuations in different cards, are all the cards made at the same factory? IE same brand capacitors, resistors, etc? I would hazard a guess and say that if various manufacturers used different brand components that they would account for more of the fluctuation that the actual silicon of the GPUs.

I might talking BS here, its been around 5yrs since I changed my major from engineering to comp sci.
    afaik they are all made in the same factory. but even identical components have tolerances

Xtreme Legend
    True. Leakage, which is a large contributor to power draw today, is greatly dependent on temperature.

As for the topic as a whole, I wouldn't really care too much about the power consumption. I have measured power draw of a bunch of CPUs over time and the numbers can vary a lot even between chips from the same batch.

"In mild doses, ethylene produces states of euphoria, associated with stimulus
    to the pleasure centres of the human brain."

Intel benching: 3DMark Vantage: E69642, P37253, H30363, X22138
    Swedish Overclocking Champion 2006 - Celeron Mobile 1400 @ 4243MHz - 203%

Xtreme X.I.P.
    well yeah, but whether a vga pulls 200 or 250W is quite a diference robert
    if my card would pull 50W more than everybody elses and runs hotter and hence clocks a lot worse, id actually return it to the shop and ask them to change it as id expect something to be wrong with it or the heatsink not making good contact etc...

btw, that could be another cause for diferent results, if you take off the heatsink and remount it not 100% perfectly, the gpu will run hotter, hence draw more current, and consume more power... right? w1zz, did you take the card apart before or after the measurements?

Xtreme Legend
    of course i took the card apart after testing everything so that when i break it during the photo session i can still post a complete review

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    well yeah, but whether a vga pulls 200 or 250W is quite a diference robert
    I can't find the 200W vs 250W number you're mentioning in the same test. The largest difference I can see is 213 vs 237, and I've seen larger discrepancies in CPUs than that. In relative terms, I don't find it to be any big deal.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by crotale View Post
    I can't find the 200W vs 250W number you're mentioning in the same test. The largest difference I can see is 213 vs 237, and I've seen larger discrepancies in CPUs than that. In relative terms, I don't find it to be any big deal.
    427W load
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/I...atinum/27.html

382W load
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Z...TX_295/28.html

it seems meassuring power consumotion is quite tricky and numbers from diferent articles cant be compared directly...

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    427W load
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/I...atinum/27.html

382W load
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Z...TX_295/28.html

it seems meassuring power consumotion is quite tricky and numbers from diferent articles cant be compared directly...
    That would be around 10% difference, not too bad IMO.

And that is between two different types of cards, I got the impression you meant it could vary 50W between two of the same type of card.

Banned
    Every card (same model from same vendor) has different Power consumption, only ONE parameter must be the same - max TDP. One card from the same batch can have +/- 20W different power consuption, its very depends on temps of card too! Try measure power consumption on that same card with AIR and Water cooling, there is a HUGE difference!

I agreed, your card can be "worst" and has higher power draw then another, but not 40W ... your measuring causes HUGE Flame on many sites and in many countries, but only because wrong numbers ...

We can end this boring discussion, and for ppl: read many reviews, not only ONE and start thread like this

Xtreme Member
    So if I understood this thread about the single PCB gtx295.

It as a bigger power consumption because a single PCB gpu runs hotter than a dual PCB gpu?

Even thought the new gtx295 as better cooling to make it even compare to the old ones?

It too bad

Banned
    You are wrong, new single-pcb is pretty damn cooler the old version ... i inspected 20-12C difference in Idle/Load

next proof ... today expreview review:

Last edited by OBR; 07-07-2009 at 04:29 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by crotale View Post
    That would be around 10% difference, not too bad IMO.

And that is between two different types of cards, I got the impression you meant it could vary 50W between two of the same type of card.
    it doesnt really matter what its percentage wise in this case imo, 50W is too much of a fluctuation, i doubt cards vary that much...

maybe earlier silicon compared to later one... sure... but not the same batch...

Every card (same model from same vendor) has different Power consumption, only ONE parameter must be the same - max TDP. One card from the same batch can have +/- 20W different power consuption, its very depends on temps of card too! Try measure power consumption on that same card with AIR and Water cooling, there is a HUGE difference!

I agreed, your card can be "worst" and has higher power draw then another, but not 40W ... your measuring causes HUGE Flame on many sites and in many countries, but only because wrong numbers ...

We can end this boring discussion, and for ppl: read many reviews, not only ONE and start thread like this
    yes, i agree...
    i dont think there has been a huge flame war about this though...
    and yes, i should have checked more reviews before starting this thread.

it doesnt change too much though, even with the same power consumption the new card is still dissapointing cause it costs the same, clocks the same, and has no software voltage controls imo...

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@ke:~ View Post
    So if I understood this thread about the single PCB gtx295.

It as a bigger power consumption because a single PCB gpu runs hotter than a dual PCB gpu?

Even thought the new gtx295 as better cooling to make it even compare to the old ones?

It too bad
    no, there must be something wrong with the card tpu received or the results... they didnt do a direct comparison so its possible there was some variation, driver for example...

the single pcb cards seem to consume the same or slightly less power, run slightly cooler and less noisy... yet they cost the same, overclock the same, and dont allow software voltage adjustments which is a bit let down to enthusiasts who this card is actually aimed at. the power connectors also make pot mounting a pita on the single pcb card, and since the mounting holes are very asymetric mounting a custom waterblock or heatsink is pretty much impossible, so watercooling is much much easier than with the dual pcb card, but you need a specially made block which will cost a lot...

i think nvidia could have done better... mounting holes, power connectors, software voltage adjustments... those are things that dont cost any money, those are all stupid design mistakes at least for overclockers...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123