Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: $5000+ Build: Comments?

Get your facts right before paraphrasing or misquoting me;

1 - The $10k build is personal and I'm waiting for Nehalem. Do you see "$10k" anywhere in the thread title?
    2 - Movie playback? Sure, once in a while. More DVD crunching and PSD work. Ever work on a billboard?
    3 - Who ever said I wouldn't upgrade?

Since when are Canadians so self righteous? Leave the thread if you have nothing positive to say.

Everyone has been a huge help - and I've been saying that a lot. This is just thread-jack, please stop.

Xtreme Addict
    i agree with the Canadians on this one. you even put "$5000" in the thread tags. most of us around here are interested in speed and efficiency, not bragging about how much money we waste.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    What's wrong with him spending 5 grand though? Why not figure out the best way to spend 5 grand instead of telling him to do it cheaper.

He seems like a person who has the money to waste and not notice seeing as he's spending 10 grand on another machine pretty soon. Help him get the best for his 5 grand.

And Captain, get a 30" screen over a 28", you'll just get a better screen and seeing as your budget is huge, it doesn't matter.
    Main Rig

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.8GHz (10x 280MHz) | ABit Kn9 NF4 | 4GB GSkill DDR2 - 800MHz | ATi Radeon HIS HD3870 | 530w Hiper Type M PSU

80GB Western Digital SATA300 Boot Drive | 500GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Seagate Barracuda UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 200GB Samsung Spinpoint UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 160GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive

Windows Server 2008 x64 | Dual Screen: 20" TFT @ 1920x1080 | 19" TFT @ 1440x900

Media Streaming Rig/Spare PC

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz | Generic Motherboard | 768mb Kingston DDR - 400MHz | ATi Radeon 9250SE | 350w AOpen PSU

20GB Western Digital IDE Drive

Windows XP Professional x86 w/SP3 | TV/Monitor @ 1920x1080

Entertainment Centre

40" Sony Bravia @ 1920x1080 | Sony Playstation 3 | Microsoft Xbox 360 (RED RING OF DEATH)

Thanks to everyone that made suggestions, it's been a long process and I've learned a lot. The thread should have been called:

"$5k build budget - suggestions?"

It's not about bragging rights at all, nor is it my way of waving money around. This is a build for my office and it needs to be stable and built to last. In fact, because it's not "MY" money, I'm being especially diligent in how its spent. That being said, I am making purchases that may not appear logical to some, because I do intend to upgrade down the road, as new components become available. As a platform, it needs to be scalable and robust. The 'bling' I add it my own and I'm putting my cash into and building the rig myself. I'm very fortunate to have an employer who trusts me enough just to hand me the cash and build my box however I want. Coming here and seeking suggestions was simply that, it has nothing to do with any 'brag' factor.

There have been a LOT of great suggestions and the "experts" have changed my mind on many ideas I initially had for the build.

Quote Originally Posted by xMrBunglex View Post
    i agree with the Canadians on this one. you even put "$5000" in the thread tags. most of us around here are interested in speed and efficiency, not bragging about how much money we waste.
    Dude, I don't fault you for putting it that way. Unless you read the whole process (even on the other board) I can understand why it would seem that way to you. Squeeze me macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMaynard View Post
    a $2000 system would meet any requirements
    That's a bold statement, especially around here. It's complete arrogance to state something like that when you know that's nonsense. Who are you to tell me what I can spend and on what? Just because it doesn't fit into your universe, doesn't make it wrong.

he's bent on blowing his 5k budget and wants to be able to brag about it.
    Wrong again. If that kind of thing was important to me, a $5k rig IS bragging rights. But that's not the point of the build and it seems like you don't want to accept that answer - all ten times I've given it to you.

Build suggestions have been right from the P5Q-D to the Skulltrail, and everything in between.
    More arrogance. What's "right" for you, isn't always "right" for everyone else. You also fail to consider that I was boxed into using a QX9650, what good is a Skulltrail to me?

I think it's down to being an attention whore and pole-vaulting on the e-peen like it's an Olympic event.
    Brilliant. Dazzle me with you witty net-attacks and call me names. You sound like a child. I may not like TOOL but you don't hear me insulting you for it, do you? But if this kind of thing is important to you, so be it. Just keep it away from me, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by B.E.E.F. View Post
    i dont see the point though.
    You don't have to.

the system is going to be obsolete soon anyways
    You mean it will expire like a carton of milk?

its cheaper, and better performance-wise to just keep upgrading
    I'm not a hardcore hobbyist, I have better things to do.

with $10k you can build a new $2k box every 6mo or some upgrades
    You keep talking about this $10k figure, do you see that in the thread title anywhere?

but that's nothing to brag about.
    We agree on something.

To everyone else, thank you for all the PMs, suggestions and great help. Apologies for the minor distraction noted above. Hopefully we can get back on track, I'll post the final build and begin a work log as parts arrive. Cheers.
    Last edited by Captain Zero; 08-16-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Additonal laments and malcontents, nerfed.

Here's the final order, placed Friday. RAM, GPU and SSD are Out Of Stock so that will come in later:

Case:
    COOLER MASTER cosmos S RC-1100-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Panel:
    COOLER MASTER RA-1100-KWN1-GP Transparent Acrylic Side Window Panel - Retail

Mobo:
    ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9650 - Retail

GPU: 2X
    SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail[/B]

RAM: 2x (8GB)
    CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX - Retail

Display: 1X
    DELL UltraSharp 2408WFP

PSU:
    KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX Power Supply - Retail[/B]

SSD:
    RiDATA NSSD-S25-32-C04MPN 2.5" 32GB SATA II 3.0Gb Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail

HDD: 4X
    Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

HDD Cooling 4X:
    MASSCOOL SYTRIN Kuformula SHF1 Ultra HDD Cooler – BK - Retail

Optical One:
    LG Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Black SATA Model GGW-H20L - Retail

Optical Two:
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q/BEBN - OEM

Water Cooling: 1x (I'm new to WC, this is a good, safe start.)
    Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT CPU Liquid Cooling Kits - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM

Thanks for all the help, everyone! Stay tuned for a worklog, I may decide to mod.

I am Xtreme
    Ditch the kingwin PSU mate and go for something that's known to work... Enermax galaxy or Corsair 1kw PSU's... both are modular but don't look as flashy as ya model... but at least it worked here with 2 GTX 260's 4 HD's, WC setup and a an OC'ed quad...and I think 1 X2 will do for sure...2 raptors will do and add some terrabytes HD's then, not really a fan of SSD yet... But it's your money ofcourse

Looking forward to see it all assembled, will be a killer rig...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
    Here's the final order, placed Friday. RAM, GPU and SSD are Out Of Stock so that will come in later:

Case:
    COOLER MASTER cosmos S RC-1100-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Panel:
    COOLER MASTER RA-1100-KWN1-GP Transparent Acrylic Side Window Panel - Retail

Mobo:

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9650 - Retail

GPU: 2X
    SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail[/B]

RAM: 2x (8GB)
    CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX - Retail

Display: 1X
    DELL UltraSharp 2408WFP

PSU:
    KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX Power Supply - Retail[/B]

SSD:
    RiDATA NSSD-S25-32-C04MPN 2.5" 32GB SATA II 3.0Gb Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail

HDD: 4X
    Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

HDD Cooling 4X:
    MASSCOOL SYTRIN Kuformula SHF1 Ultra HDD Cooler – BK - Retail

Optical One:
    LG Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Black SATA Model GGW-H20L - Retail

Optical Two:
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q/BEBN - OEM

Water Cooling: 1x (I'm new to WC, this is a good, safe start.)
    Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT CPU Liquid Cooling Kits - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM

Thanks for all the help, everyone! Stay tuned for a worklog, I may decide to mod.
    beautiful build, but as mentioned numerous times...ditch the PSU. Kingwin have a bad rep, and even if that PSU reviews well, it's not proven like the many other available ones.

Go Corsair, and no less than 1kw.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Mentor
    It's not about bragging rights at all, nor is it my way of waving money around. This is a build for my office and it needs to be stable and built to last. In fact, because it's not "MY" money, I'm being especially diligent in how its spent.
    Your "office" computer needs watercooling? How is that robust, necessary, or even safe if it's not your money? I mean, whatever on spending a lot of money, I'm not one to speak, but that $5000 computer is asking to die the day it springs a leak (and pretty much all watercooling set-ups will eventually have a bad experience, especially with people new to it). Again, I don't care if you spend $1 or $10,000. But if you are being truthful that it's not your money and your work is paying for you to overclock to gain 5% to 10% app improvement over a normal well-equiped machine, I can't imagine watercooling being the best plan when it's someone else's dime.
    Last edited by Speederlander; 08-16-2008 at 09:26 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Your "office" computer needs watercooling? How is that robust, necessary, or even safe if it's not your money? I mean, whatever on spending a lot of money, I'm not one to speak, but that $5000 computer is asking to die the day it springs a leak (and pretty much all watercooling set-ups will eventually have a bad experience, especially with people new to it). Again, I don't care if you spend $1 or $10,000. But if you are being truthful that it's not your money and your work is paying for you to overclock to gain 5% to 10% app improvement over a normal well-equiped machine, I can't imagine watercooling being the best plan when it's someone else's dime.
    Valid points, on all counts. In the end, I may decide to ditch the WC if it's flakey or problematic. It's new to me so that's an unknown. If that turns out to be the case, I'll replace it with solid AC - on MY dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Ditch the kingwin PSU mate and go for something that's known to work...
    The PSU is the point of concern most people have. I've read a pile of reviews, none negative and took the added step of speaking to builders who actually like them. In all cases, they feel as I do and as others here have said - it's a name with a bad rep but the "MACH 1" is their flagship product and has been an outstanding performer from everyone I've talked to. Again, if it's junk, I'll ditch it in favor of a new PSU - again, on MY dime.

If it does perform and three months from now I report it as such, would it change anyone's mind? Not likely but I'll review everything I purchase.

Xtreme Addict
    Valid points, on all counts. In the end, I may decide to ditch the WC if it's flakey or problematic. It's new to me so that's an unknown. If that turns out to be the case, I'll replace it with solid AC - on MY dime.

The PSU is the point of concern most people have. I've read a pile of reviews, none negative and took the added step of speaking to builders who actually like them. In all cases, they feel as I do and as others here have said - it's a name with a bad rep but the "MACH 1" is their flagship product and has been an outstanding performer from everyone I've talked to. Again, if it's junk, I'll ditch it in favor of a new PSU - again, on MY dime.

If it does perform and three months from now I report it as such, would it change anyone's mind? Not likely but I'll review everything I purchase.
    Since you already ordered the kingwin psu, and it could withstand 100% load in the anandtech roundup, I fell it could turn out ok.

But I have to say one thing...people having good experiences with them, and those reviews you linked to does not mean much. You rig will use more than 700W from the wall, while those test rigs used less than 400W. Alot more than most rigs.

Something to keep in mind in the future is, only trust credible reviews who use load testers, oscilloscopes and an reliable testing method.

Live Long And Overclock
    This thread is useless without...no wait...it's just plain useless.

Threadstarter should have already bought the system by now.

Perkam

Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    This thread is useless without...no wait...it's just plain useless.

Threadstarter should have already bought the system by now.

Perkam
    "Threadstarter" already ordered the system (see above) no wait, were you going to pay for it or just say something plain useless?

teh corsair hx1k is cheaper and its 1kW continuous the kingwin is 1kW peak, adn teh kingwin is 40c the corsair is 50c, so that corsair is much stronger
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...007&Tpk=1000hx
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    teh corsair hx1k is cheaper and its 1kW continuous the kingwin is 1kW peak, adn teh kingwin is 40c the corsair is 50c, so that corsair is much stronger
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...007&Tpk=1000hx
    dont bother telling him that, he doesnt think we know what we are talking about

Live Long And Overclock
    "Threadstarter" already ordered the system (see above) no wait, were you going to pay for it or just say something plain useless?
    Good to hear.

Now we can finally stop posting in this thread

Let us know in a new thread when it arrives

Perkam

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    dont bother telling him that, he doesnt think we know what we are talking about
    Uh, disagree. I've never said that. In fact, I've taken *much* advice from these forums, what makes you think otherwise? Fact is, there are a LOT of different opinions to be heard, I can't take them all.

For the record, I was going SLI and for a totally different setup when this all started. Dunno what it is with the PSU though, everyone's on my um case about it lol

I'm not as skilled a builder as so many are here and I am concerned about the PSU since EVERYONE keeps telling me to go Corsair 1K but I've done the numbers and the research and I prefer the aesthetics and package of the Kingwin. If you compare the two, the cabling looks a lot better and the numbers aren't THAT different. If it's a bomb, I'll RMA it and try something else. On MY dime. What's wrong with that?

Gear's on its way, when I get started, I will learn a lot and smack my head and learn from it all. In fact, I already know I'll shell out loads doing upgrades and mods but I will have a *MUCH* better idea of how to build a rig - this will be my third in seven(?) years.

So yeah.. see you all in the funny papers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you like the pretty little lights that's fine, but people are on your case about it because the 1000hx is a much better psu. Plain and simple. I do however, hope all goes well for you.
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | i7 2600K w/ Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCU II |
    | 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Corsair F60 60GB - Raid 0 | WD2001FASS | Silverstone FT-02 w/ Corsair 1200w PSU|

Xtreme Member
    I hope everything goes well with your build and don't forget to share how it goes.

Xtreme Addict
    Squeeze me macaroni.
    okay, we can be friends

nobody seems to understand that he's set on the Kingwin PSU because Kingwin makes gorgeous power supplies. i did the same thing on my first leet build. i got a Kingwin 650 or 700W modular power supply and it was freaking sexy. it worked fine without issue. the only downside is that it was loud as hell and i ended up removing the 60mm (80mm?) fan from it because the noise was driving me crazy. it never hurt anything, but i'll probably never buy another Kingwin again. there are just too many better brands to choose from.

Xtreme Member
    Im to lazy to advise on what all is wrong with this build, but I'll say that is wayyy to much money for a computer at this moment.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I read a review on new egg that the motherboard can't handle 8gigs of memory, because it doesn't play nice with 4 x 2gig sticks, but it plays nice with 2 x 2gigs & 4 x 1 gig sticks..?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128330
    second review down..
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Addict
    1 - The $10k build is personal and I'm waiting for Nehalem. Do you see "$10k" anywhere in the thread title?
    My bad, I thought it was $10k.

2 - Movie playback? Sure, once in a while. More DVD crunching and PSD work. Ever work on a billboard?
    No, but I frequently work in Photoshop CS3 with huge PSDs though. It has a 3.5GB cap on the memory since its a 32-bit app. Unless you are running multiple instances of it, you only need 4GB. The 64-bit CS4 edition won't be out for awhile.

And DVD crunching will be done on the CPU, not the CrossFire setup you have. The dual HD4870X2 are a waste of $1K.

Since when are Canadians so self righteous?
    This has nothing to do with myself or anyone else being of nationalities, races, religions.... etc. Let's keep it that way.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef View Post
    I read a review on new egg that the motherboard can't handle 8gigs of memory, because it doesn't play nice with 4 x 2gig sticks, but it plays nice with 2 x 2gigs & 4 x 1 gig sticks..?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128330
    second review down..
    Absolutely right.

I read the same thing - which is why I swapped it out with this:

The dual HD4870X2 are a waste of $1K.
    You're right. I should focus on being un-fun and technically retarded like most senior management.

All work and no play makes CTO a dull boy.
    Last edited by Captain Zero; 08-18-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Well...this will be a monster rig, for sure.
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Addict
    You're right. I should focus on being un-fun and technically retarded like most senior management.

All work and no play makes CTO a dull boy.
    Now I see the purpose of the machine.

You need a bigger screen for that.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast