Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: AMD demos 45nm at Cebit.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Are you certain? I can understand a demo, but just a last month, AMD was saying 'we expect first silicon in January', first silicon in January to shipping sampling to customers is way way too soon.
    From the EEtimes article(yesterday):
    EE Times:
    AMD ships 45-nm Shanghai, Deneb chips

Antone Gonsalves
    InformationWeek
    (03/04/2008 9:00 AM EST)

Advanced Micro Devices on Tuesday said samples of its first 45-nanometer processors have been shipped to computer manufacturers, and the company is on track to start production in the second half of the year.

AMD plans to initially release two quad-core processors, one server chip codenamed Shanghai; and the other a desktop processor codenamed Deneb. AMD's current products are built on an older 65-nm architecture.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    From the EEtimes article(yesterday):
    Antone Gonsalves
    InformationWeek

Same article same guy, EEtimes reprints articles from around the web:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ubSection=News

I simply think he got his demo/ship mixed up... first silicon in January to shipping samples for validation?? Just seems too early to me. But hey maybe they can skip B3 and go stright to 45 nm shanghai
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Cruncher
    Notice how he talks about the same chips(45nm) in the same sentence,at the end of it, and he actually wrote "AMD said..".No mentioning of Barcelona at all.
    So to me it looks like early samples of Shanghai\Deneb are really being shipped(in small quant. of course) to some selected partners.This tells us nothing about the state of the chips,BUT it looks like the 0 stepping of C revision is good to run variety of OSes and client apps.

PS BTW its March already,it's been a good month+ or so since they got first batch(the demoed batch) out of the FAb36 and it seems very likely they did ship some chips for testing.
    Last edited by informal; 03-05-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Notice how he talks about the same chips(45nm) in the same sentence,at the end of it, and he actually wrote "AMD said..".No mentioning of Barcelona at all.
    So to me it looks like early samples of Shanghai\Deneb are really being shipped(in small quant. of course) to some selected partners.This tells us nothing about the state of the chips,BUT it looks like the 0 stepping of C revision is good to run variety of OSes and client apps.

PS BTW its March already,it's been a good month+ or so since they got first batch(the demoed batch) out of the FAb36 and it seems very likely they did ship some chips for testing.
    It could very well be true... AMD could have produced production/sample worthy silicon on the first silicon out. It just seems too soon for me.....

This is such big news, if it were true, the Inq, CRN, Dailytech, just about the whole internet would have lit up..... rather, it appears to me that he confused the info that B3 was shipping to customers as samples (news a few days ago) with a 45 nm demo of first silicon at CeBIT (news yesterday).

Yeah, a month + after first silicon seems about right to demonstrate functioning silicon -- and this is indeed a great milestone, which builds confidence that they will be able to launch before end of year.

EDIT: Charlie is saying the same thing (though I am not a big fan of the Inq, two different sources saying the same thing adds credibility) --
    They are at the point now of sampling customers with parts, and claim production for the second half of 2008.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...amd-shows-45nm
    So it would appear I am over analyzing the info ... but I surely would think that sampling parts to customers would have made a bigger headline elsewhere.

Jack
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 03-05-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456