View Poll Results: eSATA Feedback

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • dont use it dont want it

8 25.00%
  • dont use it but want it

9 28.13%
  • dont use it and want it improved (post a comment below)

3 9.38%
  • use it and want it

9 28.13%
  • use it and dont want it

0 0%
  • use it and want it improved (post a comment below)

3 9.38%

Thread: eSATA Feedback

Xtreme X.I.P.

eSATA Feedback

Alright, which ones of you out there are using eSATA?
    Anybody?

There have been different attempts at improving eSATA which is limited to a rather short cable length and needs external power or a power cable from the psu somehow pulled half out of the case... if you want any improvements like a molex connector on the io panel or a SATA connector or eSATA connector inside the case on the mainboard pcb, which can then be routed to an internal or drive bay internal eSATA array, let me know!

Again, thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by saaya; 03-01-2009 at 08:21 PM.

I am Addicted!
    I have seen other manufacturers use an add on piece for e-sata which is a better option imo. but if it had a molex or actual sata pwr connector in the I/O; that would be an option too. I have never used e-sata and I am not sure if I ever will; This is a toss up for me. There is a possibility, but not sure.

i use it and would like it to be powered and to be on the intel controller if at all posable, anything to get rid of the jmicron. and using the ICH port0 would be nice so it works with port multipliers
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    there's seems to be a large room for improvement for eSata .. especially if it's not just to powerup Sata devices .. hopefully manufacturers can create other devices for it .. just like gadgets for USB

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I have seen other manufacturers use an add on piece for e-sata which is a better option imo. but if it had a molex or actual sata pwr connector in the I/O; that would be an option too. I have never used e-sata and I am not sure if I ever will; This is a toss up for me. There is a possibility, but not sure.
    hmmm yeah, there are SATA to eSATA adapters... but idk, if we bundle that with the board most people will just throw it away since not that many people use eSATA... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i use it and would like it to be powered and to be on the intel controller if at all posable, anything to get rid of the jmicron. and using the ICH port0 would be nice so it works with port multipliers
    welll... intels ICH officially supports eSATA, but nobody uses it cause the trace length from the sb to the io panel weakens the signal so much that its pretty much useless with a long eSATA cable. you can use a buffer but then costs go way up, or you use an eSATA connector internally, but then whats the point? again the cable would be shorter or you use a longer one to make up for the in-case cable routing and then its too long again...

After all, i think using SATA to eSATA adapters is the way to go... idk, what do you think? what exactly do you use eSATA for btw? external HDD?

lol, just googled and there are tons of SATA to eSATA adapters and they start at 3$ maybe theres an easy way for this, ill just ask foxconn to buy a box of those and whoever wants one, ill just mail it over ^^

that way we dont spam everybody with stuff they dont need, we can remove the jmicron controller, get rid of eSATA, and everybody is happy

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    there's seems to be a large room for improvement for eSata .. especially if it's not just to powerup Sata devices .. hopefully manufacturers can create other devices for it .. just like gadgets for USB
    yeah, the biggest problem is that hdd vendors never show up at mainboard design offices/labs to work together with them... most mainboard engineers are kinda clueless about eSATA and dont really know what its beeing used for and how to improve it or implement it properly. for how long have we seen eSATA on almost every board, but who ever even saw a review of it? and there are fundamental problems with it like way short supported cable length even when a buffer is used, that nobody worked on, since nobody really spent any attention on it

in the end eSATA is the same as SATA, the only difference is that the spec is more strict as the controller has to be able to work with weaker and more distorted signals than SATA controllers...

gadgets, well all i can think of is eSATA usb sticks like that on ocz... but if that really speeds anything up... if the stick is fast enough to really need eSATA compared to usb, then thats great! but then again, usb3 is coming and then eSATA usb sticks will die off again...

if your going throw some esata adapters over, some powered esata would be nice since u cant buy them in the US yet but things have supported it for a while. and i use esata for VMs for school, i also use my SSD with it since it dosnt need more than 1 usb port worth of power and it can take huge gshock so i dont have to worry about it
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Don't use it, but would use it if you could work out either something nice on the IO plate, or just throw in an expansion slot bracket converter.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    This will be Umm.. Sata releated! see my NAS which are LUN type mounted through iSCSI on the allocated initiator, definitively will not need any external SATA port.
    In fact both of em are already the box which are physically holding the HDD, anyway I still never ever used one permanent eSata connection, honestly though may return useful for Disaster/Recovery in site on desktop board.
    Know Your Enemy

Working on:
    FOXCONN Quantum Force Blood Rage Rev.1.1 Bios P11

Xtreme Addict
    Use it - but mostly on notebooks. I have two wishes:

1 include enough power for a single drive (but for notebooks this might end up impossible and I am quite ok with the current solution)
    2 create more drive array boxes for toting drives around. I'd like an array of 2-4 drive boxes that are of significantly better quality than the ones out now. And the boxes shouldn't be limited to 750gb size drives. (common fault)

Otherwise I love it and look forward to seeing it in SATA 2 speed improvement format

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    if your going throw some esata adapters over, some powered esata would be nice since u cant buy them in the US yet but things have supported it for a while. and i use esata for VMs for school, i also use my SSD with it since it dosnt need more than 1 usb port worth of power and it can take huge gshock so i dont have to worry about it
    those are just esata with usb power, its very expensive and its only 500mA which is nothing... might be ok for external 1.8" hdds and ssds, thats it

and its not really a spec, so i wouldnt recommend using it...

Anemone, we dont build any external hdd enclosures, at least not here in taiwan... maybe i china but i have nothing to do with those departments...
    but ill keep my fingers crossed for you

Xtreme Member
    Never use it. Could care less.
    Code:
    ASUS Maximus II
    Q6700  
    ZIPPY GSM-6600P (G1)
    Ballistix PC6400
    Sapphire HD4870