Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Overclocking, 2 dead cpu's and alot of beer :)

Xtreme Member

Extreme Overclocking, 2 dead cpu's and alot of beer :)

Well I'll start with one message don't drink and drive a PC with LN2 Cooling :p
    If you guys wern't aware there is an ASUS 1156 competition running, I have been testing cpu's trying to get a lucky cpu and well things were not going my way after testing a couple of cpu's i had enough !!!!

So i pondered how hard is it to kill an intel cpu ????
    Then i made this video lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcdq0klOjdc

I was amazed at how hard it was to kill this cpu, i honestly thought it would be dead in the first 2 minutes. I know intel have built in thermal shutdown but that doesn't really help when i keep turning it back on and forcing it to boot, although i havn't shown all the video due to editing this was almost frustrating trying to kill it ..... lol.

Well the day turned to night and i had headed off down the road to fello team.au members house Kayl and said hey man lets bench on my i7 980x and see what we can come up with
    All was going well a couple of vantage runs and 03 runs came out well. The night drifted on and the drinks kept flowing and the logical part of my brain had pretty well passed out and i was curious how much more will my cpu scale in mhz with more volts ???? Now most people benching LN2 on gulftown hang around the 1.88v mark and the 2v mark is for the insane well at 1.9v my cpu was happily kicking at 6.35ghz but of course i wanted more :p so i pumped the vcore up to 2.02v and the cpu reacted well and i was able to hit 6.525ghz so thinking hey lets throw some 3d benches down, now i hit up 3d mark 03 at 6.45ghz :Paranoid: i managed to get through until the last test when the computer crashed and well it made it to bios then crashed again to never boot again and headed to rest with the pile of i7 980x i have successfully killed :P ( I think my graveyard now is up to 6 or 7 gulftown's )

Just a note all of my other hardware performed great and it still pumping away ASUS boards are rock solid and i also tested the new Corsair AX1200 psu - awesome PSU.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "realy magic isnt card tricks, big cribs and cars b1tch
    its 6 gig vantage full pass without 2v sh1t" Young Pro

PI in the face
    you only use paper towels and nothing else on the board?
    Grim reaper
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Aussie God
    Lovely video, hah... Cheap little chip, always tons of fun to mess with.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    you only use paper towels and nothing else on the board?
    Grim reaper
    Na splave the mobo is covered in die-electric grease
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Next time you get frustrated with a cpu like that, send it to me and I'll put it in a solar powered rig do do wcg what a waste but funny non the less tose things use so little power and heck I'd do it just for fun
    let's see fix solar panel slap on roof look for donated 32nm cpu and low power MB total cost maybe 50 bucks for a used LGA1156 MB and 40 bucks for 2 gigs of ddr3 on eBAy undervolt the thing and donate solar powered computing power to WCG research (since I got the cells to fix the solar panel)
    So next time dun waste donate it to a cause.
    terramir

terra= (lat.)world mir=(russ.) peace
    BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)

Big Vcore... u are a killer!

Crunch-Fu Adept
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle fester View Post
    Well the day turned to night and i had headed off down the road to fello team.au members house Kayl and said hey man lets bench on my i7 980x and see what we can come up with
    All was going well a couple of vantage runs and 03 runs came out well. The night drifted on and the drinks kept flowing and the logical part of my brain had pretty well passed out and i was curious how much more will my cpu scale in mhz with more volts ???? Now most people benching LN2 on gulftown hang around the 1.88v mark and the 2v mark is for the insane well at 1.9v my cpu was happily kicking at 6.35ghz but of course i wanted more :p so i pumped the vcore up to 2.02v and the cpu reacted well and i was able to hit 6.525ghz so thinking hey lets throw some 3d benches down, now i hit up 3d mark 03 at 6.45ghz :Paranoid: i managed to get through until the last test when the computer crashed and well it made it to bios then crashed again to never boot again and headed to rest with the pile of i7 980x i have successfully killed :P ( I think my graveyard now is up to 6 or 7 gulftown's )
    I fainted .....
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5

lol man only try high pll and u kill it easy no need be worry like that
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    i think you are asking the wrong person about safety limits, but

Admin
    Man you got more money than cents
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Legend
    Jono you are my friend but you are also a f(l)ucking idiot
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What a waste!
    Even if it was a bad clocker, no need to kill it!!

Xtreme Member
    Nooo how could you!! XD
    [i7 4770K] [Z87 Gene VI] [8GB Sammy] [GTX780] [H80i] [AX850] [350D] [XL2720T]

Xtreme Monster
    Chill up people. He got his fun time and nobody got hurt, money is to be spent and if he does not care why should we? Peace and have fun

Xtreme Legend
    i havent read a single angry post in this thread yet
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    Chill up people. He got his fun time and nobody got hurt, money is to be spent and if he does not care why should we? Peace and have fun
    not angry Not upset LOL, but I could have used the donation I'm stuck with one C2Q and one atom here in LA anyways future reference donate to me any hardware you wanna kill

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    i havent read a single angry post in this thread yet
    got that right just sad it had to die would have made a nice folder
    terramir

BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)

I am Xtreme
    Nice job at killing your CPUs!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    Jono you are my friend but you are also a f(l)ucking idiot
    LOL.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    There's nothing like being wasteful, then bragging about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i3 530 @ 4.2 ghz, evga FTW, 4 gig gskill trident @ 1600 6-8-6-24, XFX 4870 1gb, corsair 620hx, 2 x kinston 64gig ssd raid0, 300 gig Velociraptor, 2Tb WD green,
    Tagan black pearl (lian-li v2000)
    Water: mcp655, mcr320 with ultra kazes, GTZ, mcr60, micro-res,
    black primochill, bitspower comp. fittings
    Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Mac View Post
    We'll spend a few hundred bucks because the color isn't quite right. We have no qualms voiding warranties on a thousand dollar item the day we get it.

The next time you are about to fry one, stop then give it to me!

Turkey Man
    The lower the post count, the more despise it seems :P

Xtreme Addict
    Nice work mate, always fun pushing high volts.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
    What a waste!
    Even if it was a bad clocker, no need to kill it!!
    Why not? I don't know about uncle fester, but I would just RMA it

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    The lower the post count, the more despise it seems :P
    Oh well my sense of humor is a bit left of field sometimes but hey i had fun and isnt that why we overclock ????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle fester View Post
    Oh well my sense of humor is a bit left of field sometimes but hey i had fun and isnt that why we overclock ????
    to have fun but originally it was also to push the last piece of performance out of as little money as possible , frying cpu's was something we avoided cause it cost money, maybe I'm just old school I used to be happy if we could squeeze 15 % more out of a thunderbird, or 25% out of a celly it really started getting interesting when we got a 30% performance boost out of a barton, but then again once the c2D's came out a 50% oc on air was easy and a bit of fun disappeared, but it's still a challenge to squeeze the last part of stable computing power out of a quad core. Heck I wish I had the money to go I3, or i5 or i7, or better yet a xeon variant of the i7 980 hmmm 12 cores to the max that gives super computing @ home a whole new meaning. Then again my C2Q 9550 would have been a super computer on it's own when I started OCD'ing.
    Maybe I'm just O.G. I like getting the best bang for my buck
    so seriously next time your thinking about frying one ship it to LA instead, bad clockers belong in solar powered rigs finding a cure for somethin
    terramir

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmm I got a post e-mail and then the post not here do we have censors in our midst
    Oh well youngpro got pawned
    Anyways to respond to youngpro I dun think he's that dishonest like he said he has em on a pile, and well I wasn't referring to the 1000's buck ones just a lowly i3 or i5 instead of frying help cure terrible diseases
    My $.02
    terramir

Xtreme Member
    Love all the seagulls trying to get a freebie.

It's his hardware, let him do what he wants with it.

Simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast