Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Card Prices Skyrocket due to cryptocurrency mining?

Xtreme Member

AMD Card Prices Skyrocket due to cryptocurrency mining?

The 7970 I bought new from Newegg for $289 this summer is now $469!!!

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...gaming-efforts

Should I consider selling a pair of 7970s I bought at less than MSRP for a profit now, in anticipation that the prices will drop back to MSRP?

Please discuss...
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

*** Removed quote

you could just start buying NV cards, you cannot mine with those effectively. i was thinking of selling my 7950 (they sell for about $350 right now) and getting a 770.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 03-02-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    you could just start buying NV cards, you cannot mine with those effectively. i was thinking of selling my 7950 (they sell for about $350 right now) and getting a 770.
    May as well, you'd probably pull a profit while getting a better gaming card. But I'd act fast, bitcoin is drastically losing value because of all the hackings, and I personally think it'll be effectively extinct in under a year because no one using it for purely an investment (and not to launder money etc) would find it safer than the stock market with the current bull run
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    *** Removed quote

I would'nt be 'fleecing' anyone as the invisible hand guides the market and that is the cost of a 7970 at this time of which happens to be the very same point in time they would desire the card...at the very most I would be saving him/her money by not having to go 'new' and I have already verified my cards are not DOA duds...since they would require a card now at this time.

If you really look at the situation I am the one taking a loss...lost time as I will not be able to play games or bench until I buy a new card(s)...and even then AMD might get the balls to up the MSRP and I might get screwed for taking the chance.
    So I am just trying to make an educated guess here based on the vast knowledge of my very awesome peers here at Xtreme Systems.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 03-02-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    May as well, you'd probably pull a profit while getting a better gaming card. But I'd act fast, bitcoin is drastically losing value because of all the hackings, and I personally think it'll be effectively extinct in under a year because no one using it for purely an investment (and not to launder money etc) would find it safer than the stock market with the current bull run
    Bitcoin miners, at least the successful ones had switched to ASIC mining equipment long before the AMD card price runup. This price increase on the upper 7 series cards and 280-290 card iis more attributable to Litecoin mining, which was much easier to mine until around Nov-Dec when the difficulty tripled. As well, there are other crytocurrencies that people are mining in the hope that they will catch on and be part of the initial surge like Bitcoin and Litecoin.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    Bitcoin miners, at least the successful ones had switched to ASIC mining equipment long before the AMD card price runup. This price increase on the upper 7 series cards and 280-290 card iis more attributable to Litecoin mining, which was much easier to mine until around Nov-Dec when the difficulty tripled. As well, there are other crytocurrencies that people are mining in the hope that they will catch on and be part of the initial surge like Bitcoin and Litecoin.
    Thank you, this is the direction I intended the discussion to go I was aware that the bit-coining complexity was beyond what any AMD card could do while still turning a profit. What you are saying makes sense.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Xtreme Guru
    I highly doubt that will happen. Irrational exuberance only works for so long, and even if bitcoin didn't have the hacking issues most people would agree that was a bubble waiting to burst. I can't see people taking other digital currencies seriously until the investment actually seems safe

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    I highly doubt that will happen. Irrational exuberance only works for so long, and even if bitcoin didn't have the hacking issues most people would agree that was a bubble waiting to burst. I can't see people taking other digital currencies seriously until the investment actually seems safe
    Exactly, and bit-coining from any government's prospective seems like another way for corporations to circumvent taxes...which means 99% of the population would get taxed even more. Bitcoin would have hurt the middle class...bad.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nvidia has added hardware functions needed to 'mine' effectively, as can be seen in 750 Ti. AMD cards will become obsolete for mining soon enough, so if you were thinking of selling your used cards, do that right away.
    Last edited by R101; 03-02-2014 at 11:53 PM.
    2x Dual E5 2670, 32 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 2xSeagate Constellation ES 2TB, 1KW PSU
    HP Envy 17" - i7 2630 QM, HD6850, 8 GB.
    i7 3770, GF 650, 8 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 6x3 TB. 850W PSU

The problem with the review at Tom's it's the settings... nobody mines without tweak the settings... yeah, the 750Ti it's a good GPU for mining... but the values they show for the AMD card's are way too low in some cases... why I say this?? cause I got a 260X & 270X mining full 24/7

Here the 270X makes just 302 KH/s and the 260X just 206 KH/s...

My 270X makes 470 KH/s with this settings --gpu-engine 1115 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-powertune 20 --gpu-fan 75 --gpu-threads 1 --vectors 1 --worksize 512 --thread-concurrency 15232 --intensity 19 --no-submit-stale

And my 260X makes 265 KH/s with this settings --gpu-engine 925 --gpu-memclock 1850 --gpu-powertune 20 --gpu-fan 70 --gpu-threads 1 --vectors 1 --worksize 256 --thread-concurrency 8000 --intensity 19 --no-submit-stale

Cudaminer automatically detects and optimizes the miner for the Nvidia card (previous to my 270X i was having a GTX 660 Ti with cudaminer, and i was getting 310 KH/s with auto detect and some overclock on the gpu core), but CGMiner requires manual tweaking to get the best results, and that includes overclock/downclock to the best ratio...

Edit: yeah, Maxwell has future in mining... but I don't think it gonna steal the crown on AMD in this segment... cause we don't know anything about the performance in the future AMD 300 series
    Last edited by figuretti; 03-03-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    *** Removed quote

I take it you haven't seen the performance of the low end maxwell 750ti? It wipes the floor with all the cards out there when you factor in price and performance/watt. Performance/watt is everything when mining.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    I take it you haven't seen the performance of the low end maxwell 750ti? It wipes the floor with all the cards out there when you factor in price and performance/watt. Performance/watt is everything when mining.
    No, no it is not. There are many more variables involved.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict

@OP: Sell the cards if you don't mine, grab a better version in Green form, profit!
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post

@OP: Sell the cards if you don't mine, grab a better version in Green form, profit!
    I would be hoping AMD cards return to MSRP value and getting a 290X with a water-block... but thanks.

The real problem is that I have EK water-blocks on both cards and I don't want to take them off and sell separate; Cause then I would have to order some new 1mm thermal pads which are expensive and thermal compound to reapply the air-cooler...so this really limits my customer base to water-cooling people which are most likely like us and not going to buy the cards at this price. Crap, If I want to do this I will have to sell the water-blocks separately...its not a simple case of just cleaning the cards up a re-boxing them for me.

I was/(n't) posting the story for advice but more to discuss/predict this bit-coin bubble (I thought it was interesting), will it pop, and if AMD video cards will return to their MSRP values...which yes is totally relevant to the after thought I had of me selling them.
    Last edited by DefStar; 03-03-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    I would be hoping AMD cards return to MSRP value and getting a 290X with a water-block... but thanks.

The real problem is that I have EK water-blocks on both cards and I don't want to take them off and sell separate; Cause then I would have to order some new 1mm thermal pads which are expensive and thermal compound to reapply the air-cooler...so this really limits my customer base to water-cooling people which are most likely like us and not going to buy the cards at this price. Crap, If I want to do this I will have to sell the water-blocks separately...its not a simple case of just cleaning the cards up a re-boxing them for me.

I was/(n't) posting the story for advice but more to discuss/predict this bit-coin bubble (I thought it was interesting), will it pop, and if AMD video cards will return to their MSRP values...which yes is totally relevant to the after thought I had of me selling them.
    How long it takes for AMD cards to come back to "normal" prices isn't something readily quantifiable. Though if Bitcoin keeps going down, it may drag all the other currencies down, which would make it unprofitable. However, you can never underestimate the power of denial, especially when its "easy money" people are after. My guess is that the only people making a lot of money besides a few crazy mining outfits/conglomerates and a few whole house/apt mining rig nutbars are computer/electronic suppliers, AMD card sellers, riser card sellers, LTC/alt coin rig builders/sellers, and power companies. If I were you I'd root for the Litecoin ASIC miners to be released soon. But I haven't seen anything that indicates that they are more than vaporware at this point.

I'd be tempted to sell the cards and get a GTX 780. Otherwise you might be in for a long wait for AMD R9 280 and 290 prices to go back down to "normal". I can tell you that even used 78XX or 79XX series cards on Craigslist disappear faster than Kobayashi's first hot dog, at least in the tri-state area here.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    I would love to use Craig's list but i'm out in the sticks and Ebay would take literally $100 of the profit I would make off the card sale.

@yojimbo987,do you think my assessment about removing the water-blocks is correct.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Xtreme Member
    it is a lie, it is not because mining, but a catastrophic shortage of chips, amd ordered them only a small numbers at TSMC, has no money for manufacturing. The same is at CPUs too.

Xtreme Addict
    I dunno about the rest of the world, but every time I check 290(x) prices here in the UK they have been steady, and plenty of stock.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I dunno about the rest of the world, but every time I check 290(x) prices here in the UK they have been steady, and plenty of stock.
    You should buy a few then put them up on the classifieds section. At one point they were $899 on newegg, though have since fallen down to $649 (which is still a big markup)

.....}

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    it is a lie, it is not because mining, but a catastrophic shortage of chips, amd ordered them only a small numbers at TSMC, has no money for manufacturing. The same is at CPUs too.
    Right
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why don't order more chips?
    Unless AMD does not see the chips as profitable.

Xtreme 3D Team
    If I were you I'd root for the Litecoin ASIC miners to be released soon. But I haven't seen anything that indicates that they are more than vaporware at this point.
    Gridseed ASICs are real and attainable. $250 / 330 khash/s @ 15w.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes it's a lie, but it's you who lies and making up stories. You're one the biggest AMD troll i know, no wonder you are banned on this and other forums with the nick 'OBR', and this is going on for few years. WTF did AMD do to you for hating them so much.

THE FACT IS, about first 10 days Newegg was selling the cards at MSRP as fast as they were coming in, which is normal for HOT new cards before the inventory builds up.

Few days later one of the R9 290X actually was for sale at Newegg for $499 compared to MSRP $549, just to show you there was not any shortage at that point.

Than the Litecoin mining craze hit big time when Litecoin value just in few days went up from about $2.00 up to $48.00 and all AMD cards got sold out fast, not only the R9 series including the 280 but also the 7000 series.
    http://www.ltc-charts.com/period-cha...d&market=btc-e

No way anybody at AMD could have predicted that maybe you genius could have.

Anyway at that point AMD did renegotiated the contract with TSMC for more supply and even introduced back on the market some of 7000 series (miners fav card) to take some pressure from the R9 series, I remember reading that on Twitter.

The bottom line is even with the mining craze there was not any "catastrophic shortage of chips", plenty of cards in Europe at not much inflated prices if any, as you should know (so why even post such baloney). Even In North America where the supply was much more affected by the mining, there was always some cards at Newegg, the problem was at inflated prices mostly only some miners were willing to pay for (my guess).

The problem also was Newegg started selling mining kits with 4 to 6 cards making much more money that way.

At least you should have look at the article in the OP before posting anything, there is a history price chart for one of the R9 290 card confirming it's all about mining and not AMD contracting too few cards for normal market.

Now I'm upset with myself wasting so much ink on a troll, but it's more for others who don't know him and might believe anything he ever says about AMD.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

I am Xtreme
    thats why they are available in masses in the EU, right?

The only cards that are abit harder to come by are the 280Xs, and probably because the majority of shipments are sucked up the the US market.

rest is sold below msrp here.

Administrator
    Ok guys let's cut it out.
    Just like everyone here, people have their opinions so lets keep it civil please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast