Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's ready for the new incoming AMD CPU/GPU hardware?

Brilliant Idiot

Who's ready for the new incoming AMD CPU/GPU hardware?

I know I am and I have a few more resources to work with now for some comparisons when it does.

4x8 gig bdie C15 3600
    2x8gb bdie c16 3600
    2x16gb bdie C16 3600

This should cover all angles of memory population.

10600K z490
    9900K z390
    3800x x570

Pretty much that should cover the majority of the "typical" best gaming configs platform wise so this should be fun and interesting.

5700/5700xt Ref
    2080TI Ref

Vga's will be cool to reference gains from old to new.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I know I am and I have a few more resources to work with now for some comparisons when it does.

4x8 gig bdie C15 3600
    2x8gb bdie c16 3600
    2x16gb bdie C16 3600

This should cover all angles of memory population.

10600K z490
    9900K z390
    3800x x570

Pretty much that should cover the majority of the "typical" best gaming configs platform wise so this should be fun and interesting.

5700/5700xt Ref
    2080TI Ref

Vga's will be cool to reference gains from old to new.
    I'm

NOT

READY

I need a job and money ! O.o

I'm excited to see Zen 3

Hopefully RDNA 2 is competitive
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Brilliant Idiot
    I can guarantee I'll be working with RDNA 2 gpu/s. Cpu side not so sure atm. Up in the air. I may need to buy that myself for testing. Nvidia...yah maybe but not on my dime, possibly through some work on a project I'm on though.
    Last edited by chew*; 09-15-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Guru
    glad i held off on my upgrade i was planning to do. after a few months i'm def updating my entire pc basically except maybe ram.. but i'd like something high speed so that will prob get upgraded later. tho i'd say this pc is running 3 years strong so the rush isn't there. i don't think 10 core is a real thing? but i'd really like to get that (if it's real) or a 12 core 24 thread
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

I was looking forward to big Navi, but after waiting 7-8 years for a high end card to come out I think I am going to jump ship to the 3080. I am still looking at doing a full build of everything but the GPU for zen 3 or AM5 next year.

With big navi leaks have been saying 256bit bus recently, but the leaked test card looks like HBM. If it is a 256bit but I dont see how it could compete.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 09-16-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Brilliant Idiot
    Well I just got confirmation that through the other project i'm working on it will be using 3080 founders edition so I guess i can do a head to head
    heatware chew*

Well I just got confirmation that through the other project i'm working on it will be using 3080 founders edition so I guess i can do a head to head
    I could not get one this morning. So I might end up waiting for big navi or to see who has the unlocked bios for the 3080.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Brilliant Idiot
    I'm in no rush. Navis a month away. No clue if the company got any through retail channels although I imagine they can go through other channels.
    heatware chew*

I want to get something before cyber punk, hopefully that works out

Brilliant Idiot
    hmm games. I'm looking forward to 5. Cyberpunk, crysis remastered, witcher 3 remastered, black myth wukong and horizon zero dawn 2 ( be waiting for awhile for that being PS5 exclusive )
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post

With big navi leaks have been saying 256bit bus recently, but the leaked test card looks like HBM. If it is a 256bit but I dont see how it could compete.
    Well AMD has the option to if necessary slap an enthusiast grade cooler on a prosumer variant of the card which I believe was designated to get HBM anyway which should have a 512 bit bus.

Maybe thats enough to hit there goals maybe not. If not I doubt we will see that card but you never know aka radeon 7.

Doubt board partners/aibs would know about this therefore be able to leak this as iirc radeon 7 was ref only so AMD can play that card close to the chest so to speak.

If that happens and this is just my 2c I think AMD might have underestimated ampere as I personally don't think AMD would go the HBM route on a top tier after fury/vega/7.

The gddr 6 cards are more than likely 256 bit as just from what I have seen electrically speaking layout wise nothing else would make sense.

I guess its not impossible but i'm going to say highly improbable that a 256 bit bus card is going to dominate a 3080/3090.
    Last edited by chew*; 09-19-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Mentor
    Well AMD has the option to if necessary slap an enthusiast grade cooler on a prosumer variant of the card which I believe was designated to get HBM anyway which should have a 512 bit bus.

Maybe that enough to hit there goals maybe not. If not I doubt we will see that card but you never know aka radeon 7.

Doubt board partners/aibs would know about this therefore be able to leak this as iirc radeon 7 was ref only So AMD can play that card close to the chest so to speak.

The gddr 6 cards are more than likely 256 bit as just from what I have seen electrically speaking layout wise nothing else would make sense.
    I was just going to mention if you could add the Radeon 7 in there.

but's that was only because was looking at how everyone hates on blower cards now. (ps love the EVGA and Coloful hybrid designs)

I didn't believe those FE heat sinks actually move 320 watts even the Threadripper cpu air coolers have a tough time with a 280 watt TDP with chiplets.

I believe the TDP is actually lower for the die itself and that it is total board power usage probably more around 320 watts.

as for 256 bit it just makes the card cheaper, for now bigger buses cost more don't they ?
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post

I believe the TDP is actually lower for the die itself and that it is total board power usage probably more around 320 watts.

as for 256 bit it just makes the card cheaper, for now bigger buses cost more don't they ?
    I saw steve pulling 340w in gpu-z stock over 350 when increasing power limits on aib cards. package power I believe is what i was watching.

256 is cheaper in more than one sense. higher = real estate = more money. HBM conserves the real estate still costs money but space is less of a concern.
    Last edited by chew*; 09-19-2020 at 07:09 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Mentor
    I saw steve pulling 340w in gpu-z stock over 350 when increasing power limits on aib cards. package power I believe is what i was watching.

256 is cheaper in more than one sense. higher = real estate = more money. HBM conserves the real estate still costs money but space is less of a concern.

Are you talking about Gamers nexus ?, I just don't buildzoid at all, who does a lot stuff for them.....

The only down side to that is uneven Dies of HMB vs gpu die.

Oh I still don't see that RDNA 2 being 80cu's

The way surface area works out for doubling a square would make it 160 cu's in my thoughts.

I know the die isn't square, but it's close enough.

80 cu isn't enough, in my opinion.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"

A square quads if you double each side. If they double the core complex ore the area it would not quad.

160 CU would be like 650-700W

I dont think a chip that large would be possible with current lithography and we wont see chiplets until next year at the earliest. You would also need like a 768 bit bus with 36 ram IC, the logistics are nasty and you would have have like a 16 layer PCB. I guess you would do something like 6 stacks of HBM and you would have to have a thick interposer so you could lap it.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    Are you talking about Gamers nexus ?, I just don't buildzoid at all, who does a lot stuff for them.....

The only down side to that is uneven Dies of HMB vs gpu die.

Oh I still don't see that RDNA 2 being 80cu's

The way surface area works out for doubling a square would make it 160 cu's in my thoughts.

I know the die isn't square, but it's close enough.

80 cu isn't enough, in my opinion.
    Yah GN. I was not listening just watching him test partners cards and keeping an eye on gpuz monitors. I needed to know power draw for what i'm working on.
    heatware chew*

Yah GN. I was not listening just watching him test partners cards and keeping an eye on gpuz monitors. I needed to know power draw for what i'm working on.
    Are you working on something SFF? If you wait a couple weeks there should be unlocked bios roms, or since you have a history of competative benching EVGA should send the unlocked bios to you for the FTW3.

Xtreme Mentor
    A square quads if you double each side. If they double the core complex ore the area it would not quad.

160 CU would be like 650-700W

I dont think a chip that large would be possible with current lithography and we wont see chiplets until next year at the earliest. You would also need like a 768 bit bus with 36 ram IC, the logistics are nasty and you would have have like a 16 layer PCB. I guess you would do something like 6 stacks of HBM and you would have to have a thick interposer so you could lap it.
    Well the die surface area of 5700 xt is listed as 251 mm?, It's TDP is 225 W.

The CDNA 1.0 is 120 Cu's, and it's die size 420 mm?. It also has TDP of 300 Watts. Now yes I know it's a different architecture over all.

Who knows there can be a lot of different stuff that we never seen so far.

While the 6000 XT die is said to be 505 mm?, pretty sure they could get 320 watt TDP or 375 watts TDP.

I was feeling like it won't have quite enough ROP's it's listed as having 96 vs Nvidia's RTX 3090 having 112 ROP's.

I'm just glad it's got more than 64 ROP's, because being stuck at 64 ROP's was holding them back.

LOL, the only youtube influencer's I really like is Jayztwocents, because he makes so many mistakes, and doesn't seem like a robot reading a script.

Always worth a watch for the errors in his video.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"

Brilliant Idiot
    Are you working on something SFF? If you wait a couple weeks there should be unlocked bios roms, or since you have a history of competative benching EVGA should send the unlocked bios to you for the FTW3.
    For the SFF yah we are waiting anyway as no card availability. EVGA is on the list as only those and founders will actually fit although based on design I think founders may benefit us more so based on design overall component temps wise.

It's running moderate cpu clocks with tuned out but somewhat safe memory clocks on the intel cpu.

Amd setup is probably just going to get fabric/mem clocks and leave core to AMD's implementation.

I'd prefer zen 3 but maybe they will change there mind after they see gaming results
    Last edited by chew*; 09-20-2020 at 04:32 PM.
    heatware chew*

There is this tool that can set all of the load/pstate settings for you that are not normally doable as a user

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/cl...y-1usmus).html

If you are sticking stockish it seems worth it, especially for gaming/mixed loads.

The 3080 FE is tiny with a block so far as modern cards go.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 09-21-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Brilliant Idiot
    There is this tool that can set all of the load/pstate settings for you that are not normally doable as a user

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/cl...y-1usmus).html

If you are sticking stockish it seems worth it, especially for gaming/mixed loads.

The 3080 FE is tiny with a block so far as modern cards go.
    Issue is the tuned bios profiles need to just work across all the machines and since zen 3 for the most part doesn't have the headroom core wise like 100-300 silicon dependent where as for example silicon lottery deemed all 10600k can do 4.9 etc etc it's just better to make 3733 and 3800 profiles load them on machines see which works silicon dependent and ship it as that's almost guaranteed.

I have already beat that dead horse with a custom loop and or vga water cooled and lost that battle.
    heatware chew*

Looking forward to stuff coming up, I let Marissa know I wanted to be included in the next launch.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wirth View Post
    Looking forward to stuff coming up, I let Marissa know I wanted to be included in the next launch.
    I won't even deal with launch stuff anymore. to much stress to little time lately and 2 many people getting shuffled around to keep track. I deal with someone under robert and robert knows who i am or should after all we did a video together
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Mentor

Exclamation WHA WHA WHA what ?

Two weeks WOOT!

It's now 5,000 series ?

I get that they're trying to move away from the confusion from the laptops

but there better be good reason for this other than marketing.

although I did find this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHxDwnCXs8

At around 10:46 the slide shows Zen 3 on SP5 for EPYC and pcie 5.0 on ZEN 3 !?!?!?!

And what's this 64 x 4 thing ???

although if this Zen3 ends upgradable from AM4 to AM5 it would be great.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"

Brilliant Idiot
    I think its better that they call it 5000 series. as its zen 3 arch and mobiles on zen 2 arch and called 4000.
    heatware chew*

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast