Thread: Dry ice ontop of CPU Heatsink

Xtreme Cruncher

Talking Dry ice ontop of CPU Heatsink

Long story short:

I was at work, We were using Dry Ice to keep some stuff cold, And there was allot left. I took a couple pounds home, Played with it for a bit, Then just "Went for it" and plopped a piece on my Thermalright XP-90:

After One minute, CPU temp 8C full load:

After Two minutes, CPU temp below 0C full load. I had a screen of Abit sotware reading 0c, But this was awhile ago:

the frost buildup was too unnerving, So I turned off the computer:

Brr:

The Leftover piece of dry ice:

^Notice the other piece laying ontop of the now frost-covered box cutter knife, Lol.

This got me thinking- What about placing the entire motherboard on a flat piece of dry ice, And then more on the heatsinks, Etc. Kind of a "Poor Man's Dry ice Benching" for those of us without pots.

Anyways, It was fun.

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

Xtreme Guru
    hhahah that looks so wonderfully mad.. so where are the results man ??
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Cruncher
    I did it a few months ago, And had a screenshot of Abit's Uguru reading a "0c" temperature for the CPU. However, I lost the screenshot sometime ago.

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

Xtreme Addict
    Did it improve you're OC results?
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's interesting that this worked so well with a heatpipe cooler - the heatpipes used in CPU heatsink are designed only to work most efficiently at a CPU's normal operating temperatures - I wouldn't have expected them to transfer heat that well at 0 degrees. Then again, maybe the heatpipes weren't actually doing much work, just the copper they're made out of.

Banned
    Remember that cold + warm gives condens

better to use some insulation

You know, I think it would be possible to put a cube of DICE right on top of the CPU (With good Insulation of course). It would be better than putting it on top of heatsink, but the negative thing is, there would be no place to pour acetone on DICE. Not the greatest idea, but could bring couple of degrees down since you're outting it on top of your heatsing anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jass View Post
    You know, I think it would be possible to put a cube of DICE right on top of the CPU (With good Insulation of course). It would be better than putting it on top of heatsink, but the negative thing is, there would be no place to pour acetone on DICE. Not the greatest idea, but could bring couple of degrees down since you're outting it on top of your heatsing anyways.
    lol you mean insulating everything but the cpu, and just putting a chunk of it on the chip?
    sounds cool to me
    poor man's dice pot.
    AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
    Geil Ultra 1GB PC3200 RAM
    250+640GB
    Sapphire X850XT PE
    SINGLEC0RE4EVER

Xtreme Member
    No way you could keep it going...you'd kill the chip if the dry ice started to slide or anything.
    E8600 4.5ghz folder
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC8500
    2xPowercolor HD 2900XT (modded to run constant 3d clocks)
    Swiftech H220 Ultra Apex

Champion
    If it works like you described it, I think that this is a very good solution for benching with cold-bugged A64's. Keeping it around 0-9 degrees could help improve the o/c on those Sandy's that really don't like (-) temps. I am talking about dice on the heatsink, of course. Putting Dice directly on the CPU seems like a very dangerous idea...
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions