Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video: UK Folding Plug concept could flatten that bulky British adapter

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Solution to UK Plug problem:

You can fit four of these in the same space as 1 UK plug, and there are 230v versions that don't take up any more room. Problem solved!
    Nah, the italian solution to earthed plugs is more compact:

i5 660 / Asrock P55M Pro / Ripjaws / GTS250

Xtreme Cruncher
    I don't see how italian plugs are polarized though, kinda hard to tell from googled pictures though.

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Banned
    Solution to UK Plug problem:

You can fit four of these in the same space as 1 UK plug, and there are 230v versions that don't take up any more room. Problem solved!
    again it would never pass stringent BSI standards, both live and earth have full lenghth pins, ours a half shielded, thats steel, ours have to be brass/copper.....the list goes on.

the point is that the european standards on this are much more lax as opposed to the UK.

and the point is really not about 'how many you can fit' as we are also governed by health and safety law (on top of BSI standards) that would never allow any more than two plugs to a wall socket, this way there has to be enough 'boxes' in the 'ring' to support the appliances.

this avoids overheating of wall sockets, and is the reason many households use '4 gang' extensions in thier homes. these also have to have thier own fuses fitted.

on a side note are the european 'plugs' fitted with fuses as standard? with fuses ranging from 3 amp to 13 amp, depending on what is needed? i think not....therefore no need for further discussion on my part

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] MarioMaster View Post
    I don't see how italian plugs are polarized though, kinda hard to tell from googled pictures though.
    Ever heard something called alternating current?
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 06-24-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Ever heard something called alternate current?
    you mean alternating current ehh?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you mean alternating current ehh?
    I apologise that there are people whose mother tongue isn't english. Fixed for your convenience.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist :P )
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Banned
    I apologise that there are people whose mother tongue isn't english. Fixed for your convenience.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist :P )
    sry i really didnt mean that as a language thing, in fact i assumed you were an english speaker, my bad.

its just a lot of english speakers, call it alternate current too, and i always correct them

i see you are German now, off topic i had to decide on a language to take this september (personal development thing) and i decided to learn german

i really cant wait, thats after a summer course of Makaton !!!
    Last edited by soundood; 06-24-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ever heard something called alternating current?
    Alternating current still flows from Hot to Ground/Nuetral. Some devices have Neutral and Ground wired together which would cause big problems if plugged in backwards. Why do you think most AC devices have different color wires going to the plug? For fun?
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Well, personally, having dealt with English Electrics, and European Electrics, i'll take English everytime. The Ring Main system is brilliant, as is the Twin + Earth cable. Having to drag three spools of wire through conduit is ANNOYING as hell, when you can just unroll a length of Twin + Earth.

The only reason why the US doesn't use 240v AC, is due to the vast distances the powerlines have to travel, in comparison to more 'compact' countries like the UK.

I prefer the chunky plugs, they go in and out of a socket easily, they don't fall out the wall, the sockets don't fall out of, or off of the wall (pattresses for the win).

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Cruncher
    again it would never pass stringent BSI standards, both live and earth have full lenghth pins, ours a half shielded, thats steel, ours have to be brass/copper.....the list goes on.

Ok, you could have part of the plug shielded, and the prongs made from copper. This is not a big issue.

the point is that the european standards on this are much more lax as opposed to the UK.

and the point is really not about 'how many you can fit' as we are also governed by health and safety law (on top of BSI standards) that would never allow any more than two plugs to a wall socket, this way there has to be enough 'boxes' in the 'ring' to support the appliances.

The point is not that US plugs are small, but that UK plugs are unnecessarily large, to the point of being obtrusive as seen in the video.

this avoids overheating of wall sockets, and is the reason many households use '4 gang' extensions in thier homes. these also have to have thier own fuses fitted.

US wall plates only have two plugs per outlet as well.

on a side note are the european 'plugs' fitted with fuses as standard? with fuses ranging from 3 amp to 13 amp, depending on what is needed? i think not....therefore no need for further discussion on my part
    edit - character requirement
    Last edited by [XC] MarioMaster; 06-24-2009 at 10:28 AM.

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    How about the UK changed to the same standard that the rest of europe is adopting

Imagine if all the world was 240V, 50Hz, same plugs as the majority uses. How much time and resources it would save. Simplicity and standards ftw.
    UK is using 240v 50hz.

Dont forget, our sockets are switched, in addition to the plugs being fused.

And actually, we were using 240v, and europe was 220v, but, around 10 years or so ago, we dropped to 230v, and europe increased to 230v.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Banned
    The point is not that US plugs are small, but that UK plugs are unnecessarily large, to the point of being obtrusive as seen in the video.
    the reason they are large, and there is a reason is that they contain a fuse, something that US plugs do not, this fuse can be changed, by the user and is something we teach in lower school levels.

hers a pic of the fuses,

hers a pic of where it goes,

heres a wiki page stating the standard,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363

pity the rest of the world didnt adapt to our system, many lifes would be saved
    Last edited by soundood; 06-24-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    +/-10% is fine for voltage variations so in my mind 220v = 230v = 240v.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    The only reason why the US doesn't use 240v AC, is due to the vast distances the powerlines have to travel, in comparison to more 'compact' countries like the UK.
    120v is actually harder to distribute as it requires more amps for the same wattage. The US could benefit from upgrading to only 220/240v service - heck it's already in the houses to run high load devices.

Xtreme Cruncher
    the reason they are large, and there is a reason is that they contain a fuse, something that US plugs do not, this fuse can be changed, by the user and is something we teach in lower school levels.

hers a pic of the fuses,

hers a pic of where it goes,

heres a wiki page stating the standard,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363

pity the rest of the world didnt adapt to our system, many lifes would be saved

I hadn't realized how exactly the UK power system worked - and it's really quite strange.

With your "ring" system it's no wonder each device needs fuses! With circuits of 32/50 amps a small short could easily cause a fire.

US homes have many branch systems usually 15 or 20 amps max for typical household loads. That way fuses are not needed in each device as a short would trip that circuit's breaker.

The US also has plugs with internal replaceable fuses.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Why would you want hot and earth to have full length pins? On US plugs, earth has to be longer then all of the other pins. That way earth is guaranteed to be connected first. If earth and hot are the same length, hot has the potential to be connected first, and if there is a short in the device, you have the potential to be shocked.

The only reason UK plugs need fuses standard is because of the ridiculous electrical system. Ring circuits seem to have the ability to easily deliver more current then the individual socket is rated for that, that is not possible here, where usually one socket is rated at or slightly above what the circuit breaker is rated for. That kind of inherent danger would never fly here, not to mention if a lead on a ring circuit broke, you effectively have one wire trying to power every socket in your home. Real safe there.
    Last edited by [XC] Lead Head; 06-24-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Banned
    I hadn't realized how exactly the UK power system worked - and it's really quite strange.

With your "ring" system it's no wonder each device needs fuses! With circuits of 32/50 amps a small short could easily cause a fire.

US homes have many branch systems usually 15 or 20 amps max for typical household loads. That way fuses are not needed in each device as a short would trip that circuit's breaker.

The US also has plugs with internal replaceable fuses.
    what you see as strange, is really the excelence of the system, with higher voltage we need less amps per appliance, so there is really no appliance that needs more than say 10 amps,

the loop or ring system also distributes power evenly, and doesnt overload any one part of the system (due to regs) therefore our house 'breakers' usualy only have 4 or 5 rings.

the US i believe, uses branching, that can have an uneven load on one 'trunk' as such.

but please correct me if i am wrong

Banned
    Why would you want hot and earth to have full length pins? On US plugs, earth has to be longer then all of the other pins. That way earth is guaranteed to be connected first. If earth and hot are the same length, hot has the potential to be connected first, and if there is a short in the device, you have the potential to be shocked.
    my mistake, earth is longer, and only live and neutral are half shielded

The only reason UK plugs need fuses standard is because of the ridiculous electrical system. Ring circuits seem to have the ability to easily deliver more current then the individual socket is rated for that, that is not possible here, where usually one socket is rated at or slightly above what the circuit breaker is rated for. That kind of inherent danger would never fly here, not to mention if a lead on a ring circuit broke, you effectively have one wire trying to power every socket in your home. Real safe there.
    for that very reason it is safer, you on one hand have the possibilty of 'overloading' one socket, causing a fire hazzard, we dont.

we can attach many differant appliances to one socket and wont cause a major hazzard.

in the end people are stupid, and if its easier they will do it. no matter how much you 'educate' them in electrical safety.

if they need to put 5 lamps and a computer in one corner, they wont runs a cable from another socket, they will put a 10 gang extension in, i persoanly have this at the moment.

2 x 13 amp sockets running two computers, 2 monitors, a projector, a router, a phone, speakers, a 5.1 amp, external hard drive. printer, three mobile phone chargers........i may have missed something, but you get the idea
    Last edited by soundood; 06-24-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    what you see as strange, is really the excelence of the system, with higher voltage we need less amps per appliance, so there is really no appliance that needs more than say 10 amps,
    The strange is not the 230v part, its the ring circuit.
    the loop or ring system also distributes power evenly, and doesnt overload any one part of the system (due to regs) therefore our house 'breakers' usualy only have 4 or 5 rings.
    Your ring circuit is capable of delivering more power then any one socket can handle, if for whatever reason a fuse within the socket failed closed, or the socket was not fused in the first place, its just asking for a fire. If a part of the ring fails, you risk dangerously overloading the wires, or the possibility of losing power to every socket on the ring (which can be many apparently)

the US i believe, uses branching, that can have an uneven load on one 'trunk' as such.

but please correct me if i am wrong
    Each "trunk" has a relatively small circuit breaker on it, usually 15 or 20 amps (7.5-10 amps 230v equiv), and usually will only power a few individual sockets in parallel. The wire is ALWAYS rated to carry more current then the circuit breaker is rated for, and each socket is rated at or below the circuit breaker rating. Nothing can ever be over loaded without flipping a breaker in this system, as the circuit breaker is always rated LOWER then the maximum current carrying capability of the wire and sockets.
    Last edited by [XC] Lead Head; 06-24-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Cruncher
    If you overload an outlet in the US, the breaker trips. With a ring system, it doesn't. How is that safer?

Banned
    If you overload an outlet in the US, the breaker trips. With a ring system, it doesn't. How is that safer?
    the same here, if any one ring has a plug and the fuse blows, the 'breaker' senses this and cuts circuit, also the circuit will not 'reset' until that appliance is removed from the loop.

it really is a neat system

Xtremely Kool
    We have breakers as well.
    If the fuse fails the breakers trips.
    And sometimes the fuse blows & the breakers still trips.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 06-24-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    That large UK plug is far from the worst thing over there. How about separate taps in the bathroom (come on..), or water pipes on the outside of the house (which easily freezes when it's cold), or soft carpets in the bathroom (ever heard about mould(mold)?)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    We have breakers as well.
    If the fuse fails the breakers trips.
    And sometimes the fuse blows & the breakers still trips.
    Say for whatever reason the device starts drawing 25 amps, like someone stuck a piece of metal in the fuse holder because it blew a fuse and they didn't have one to replace it with(stuff like this is not all that uncommon, unfortunately). Not enough current to trip the ring circuit breaker, but enough to potentially cause a fire hazard? Yes unlikely, impossible? No.
    Last edited by [XC] Lead Head; 06-24-2009 at 11:28 AM.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 3NZ0 View Post
    European plugs are terrible, they come out of the sockets if you breathe on them.
    LOL

And the prize for Biggest Nationalist Bias goes to..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast