Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anandtech i5 preview

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo13 View Post
    Your second pass is actually the first pass for the updated x.264 bench, notice the version numbers on each of your tests.
    Ok. so in relevance to that chart posted a few posts above are they taking the averages or are they taking the highest numbers?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    doesn't matter one iota that it is or isn't server hardware; they target consumers, I see in your sig you got Core i7 920, the entry level, the kind budget that would buy Core i5 if it had come out first; so now that same you has to choice between two platforms, whereas this is not good a policy; one platform / generation for consumers is best;
    If the two platform would have beend released nearly at the same time frame i still would have goen for s1366, soley for the reason that i can upgrade to gulftown.

And the reason why you don't see a higher model in my sig is, that on aircooling theres no reason to go for a higher model, thought i have a feeling that for gulftown another EE cpu might be mine.

Xtreme Addict
    If the two platform would have beend released nearly at the same time frame i still would have goen for s1366, soley for the reason that i can upgrade to gulftown.
    thank you for proving my point that having a two different platforms is not good for the consumer and having one that allows you to install entry level up to high end is best.

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    thank you for proving my point that having a two different platforms is not good for the consumer and having one that allows you to install entry level up to high end is best.
    to bad gulftown is a server processor and isn't aimed to be marketed to consumers.

(well depends on what is defined as consumer... i for myself don't see enthusisats as consumers, so S1366 was never a consumer plattform for me to beginn with. )
    Last edited by Hornet331; 05-30-2009 at 12:07 PM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    to bad gulftown is a server processor and isn't aimed to be marketed to consumers.

(well depends on what is defined as consumer... i for myself don't see enthusisats as consumers, so S1366 was never a consumer plattform for me to beginn with. )
    I've always had issues with the term server.
    That's more a usage of a system than the hardware itself.
    no reason at all why you can't use a dual Gainestown with 12-24gig of memory as your daily driver
    It opens email so fast your eyes can't keep up!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Considering a vast majority of folks don't even consider upgrading their systems other than the enthusiasts of course, platform choice isn't really going to be major issue. General users buying prebuilt rigs are going to buy their i5, i7 or AMx based rig and run it until the wheels fall off so to speak without ever opening the case.

The difference I see with i7 & i5 vs s754 & s939 is that Intel released the high end platform from the start whereas AMD released the higher end platform later which left early adopter s754 users who might have wanted more performance with a limited upgrade path.
    Why do folks keep missing this excellent point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    If i could spend more money on hardware i would get a few of those puppies:
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...555&l=en&s=biz

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    That's a good point, I always forget about Trubo (adds extra complexity)... but you are missing something from the Anand article, the engineering sample was locked at 1 step for the engineering sample.
    I'm not sure about that at all: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=88

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by PetNorth View Post
    Anand has the CPU, he clearly noted it would not bump past 1x. Regardless, I can reproduce his numbers pretty easily with my hardware but I will talk to him and see if that was indeed true.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Cruncher
    Anand has the CPU, he clearly noted it would not bump past 1x. Regardless, I can reproduce his numbers pretty easily with my hardware but I will talk to him and see if that was indeed true.
    Well those C10 numbers show i5 @2.66 being approx. one bin faster than i7@ 2.66Ghz. The only reason could be turbo boost being higher than on i7 part.i7 920 should do ~2793Mhz ,if not more, in single threaded apps.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Well those C10 numbers show i5 @2.66 being approx. one bin faster than i7@ 2.66Ghz. The only reason could be turbo boost being higher than on i7 part.i7 920 should do ~2793Mhz ,if not more, in single threaded apps.
    Maybe the Uncore speed. I guess the uncore is OCed on the Lynnfield. There is a bunch of unknown values. Did Turbomode kick in or not. Did it exceed the TDP value define in BIOS etc etc.
    Last edited by Shintai; 05-30-2009 at 03:43 PM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Mentor
    Anand has mixed his cinbench results before, Scientia wrote a complete article inferring the incorrect conclusion because he was comparing 32-bit to 64-bit runs, I shot him an email I will see if he can provide an explanation.

32-bit single threaded, for example, I only see +1x bump

This is because windows scheduler is distributing the load across all cores (real and virtual).
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thats quite possible. But again, in the Cinebench there is a 2.5% difference. Could just be a benching/scheduler glitch. Cinebench doesnt seem to like HT in singlethreaded mode.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Anand has mixed his cinbench results before, Scientia wrote a complete article inferring the incorrect conclusion because he was comparing 32-bit to 64-bit runs, I shot him an email I will see if he can provide an explanation.

32-bit single threaded, for example, I only see +1x bump

This is because windows scheduler is distributing the load across all cores (real and virtual).

Yeah I hear you.It still up to AT to clarify what exactly was going on with BIOS settings on that lynnfield system.
    As for i7 965,shouldn't the 920 have a bit higher Turbo boost kick compared to 965(which gets only "1" bin)?I ask since I think I read at i7 launch that 920 was to have the biggest boost from Turbo being the lowest clocked model(thus having more "headroom" than 2 higher end models,TDP wise).

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah I hear you.It still up to AT to clarify what exactly was going on with BIOS settings on that lynnfield system.
    As for i7 965,shouldn't the 920 have a bit higher Turbo boost kick compared to 965(which gets only "1" bin)?I ask since I think I read at i7 launch that 920 was to have the biggest boost from Turbo being the lowest clocked model(thus having more "headroom" than 2 higher end models,TDP wise).
    No, they all have a predefined value in a linear scale. I actually think the retail 2.66Ghz got less turbomode headroom than the 2.8 and 2.93Ghz for Lynnfield. For i7 its all the same. 1x quad, 2x single/dual in C0 stepping.

All artificial limited ofcourse.

There could also be turbomode difference between C0 and D0 stepping. However I dont know and havent tested. But its worth noticing that Xeons (D0) got higher turbomode modes.

And the 920 by AT seems to be an old C0 ES sample for sure (Who knows how thats limited or not). Why dont they test with retail CPUs?

However its all starting to be a mess. Both from AMD and Intel.
    Uncore speed differences. 200Mhz for example between AM2+ and AM3. And yet another 200Mhz between those and Opterons. Lynnfield also got a 133Mhz (I think) slower uncore than i7.
    Then there is all the turbomode issue. A hot testlab could show poor results for example. Next is Hyperthreading etc.

And it certainly wont be easier in the future
    Last edited by Shintai; 05-30-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah I know. Well this is just an earfly preview,by the time it launches hopefully there will be less unkown variables(mature boards/bios,defined models that have/don't have SMT,fixed Turbo multies etc.)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    For i7 its all the same. 1x quad, 2x single/dual in C0 stepping.
    I'm fairly certain that i7 gets 1x for quad/dual & 2x for single C0 stepping, I've never seen 2x outside of one active core on i7 personally.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    it's a good preview anyway, but given the variables, not really much point to it (tbh).

The margin of error from having poor functioning turbo mode, unknown uncore freq's etc outweigh anyones estimation of performance anyway! ( in other words, we know roughtly how it will perform given it's still nehalem, and we know dual channel DDR3 has little effect)

I agree with you Shintai, it is a mess, and a lot of reviewers unfortunatly DONT get their head around all the minor differences, and end up doing 'unfair' comparisons or incorrectly simulate other models, causing flamewards on forums :p , or accusations of reviewer brand Bias (when infact they may just have missed the detail)

Xtreme Member
    the faster BCLK on the i5 affects performance does it not? or did anandtech overclock the BCLK on the i7 to 166 too and dropped the multiplier? I didn't read the review so maybe someone can fill me in >.<
    2600k @ 4.5GHz || P8Z68V || 16GB Vengeance || 5850 || Crucial M4 || TJ-10BW || ST1000 || 2408WFP

Heat

Xtreme Member
    Can you run with your i7 @2.93 the Cinebench 10 x64 1 CPU?
    (Anand uses it in this preview).

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by PetNorth View Post
    Can you run with your i7 @2.93 the Cinebench 10 x64 1 CPU?
    (Anand uses it in this preview).
    Yeah, sure will.... give me a bit of time though, I have to spend a bit more time with my son.

Jack

Xtreme Mentor
    It is one of my biggest complaints, not direct at AT, but at the HW sites in general. More or less, much of their test setup information is very lacking, it is hard to make heads or tails of things sometimes.

Thanks to the BCLK @ 166Mhz the core i5 was probably running @2822Mhz when the turbo mode was active, and that could explain why it was faster in some benchmarks.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Ok. so in relevance to that chart posted a few posts above are they taking the averages or are they taking the highest numbers?
    Averages...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    what?

wha? you tested with the first lynnfield ES chips intel ever sent out, what did you expect anand?
    boards not beeing ready, im not surprised, but cpus? they are fine...

Not the first ones by any means.... and the CPU still has a couple of revisions left in it before it is production ready.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast