Thread: [News] AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper MCM Configuration Confirmed, More Details

[News] AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper MCM Configuration Confirmed, More Details

https://www.techpowerup.com/246557/a...d-more-details

Tech Day slides leaked to the web by Kitguru provide a confirmation of how AMD is wiring out the additional two dies on the 24-core and 32-core Ryzen Threadripper 2000-series MCMs on the socket TR4 platform. We had speculated that because the quad-channel DDR4 memory and PCIe interfaces are wired to two diagonally-opposite dies on AMD X399 chipset motherboards; in the interest of backwards compatibility, AMD could wire out memory and PCIe from just two out of four dies on the multi-chip module, and have the two additional dies seek memory and PCIe over the InfinityFabric interfaces.

The obvious trade-offs with this design choice is that latencies to the dies with indirect memory/PCIe access are higher, and that reflects heavily in AMD's own performance figures for comparing the 32-core 2990WX with the 16-core 2950X from the same generation. The 2990WX is "only" up to 64 percent faster than 2950X at Cinebench R15 nT, despite having double the number of cores. To its credit, the 2950X has higher clock-speeds (3.50 GHz nominal with 4.40 GHz boost) than the 2990WX (3.00 GHz nominal with 4.00 GHz boost). The presentation also puts out interesting bits of information such as AMD's own performance numbers showing 10-15 percent performance gains between the 2950X and the 1950X; and performance gains of the 2990WX over Intel Core i9-7980XE.

Xtreme Mentor
    first slide is really mind blowing. graphs says 2950 is faster than 7980 but the writings says 7980 is faster than 2950 when we compare them to 2990...

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    first slide is really mind blowing. graphs says 2950 is faster than 7980 but the writings says 7980 is faster than 2950 when we compare them to 2990...
    Maybe you misread some model numbers? I'm not finding what you are referring to.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Maybe you misread some model numbers? I'm not finding what you are referring to.
    if I am not missing something very obvious which is very possible for me here is what I see

On the graph 7900x = 1 2950x = 1.41 which means it is %41 better performing than 7900x and it is also written on the left side. 7980xe = 1.38 which means it is performing %38 better than 7900x but it is slower than 2950x because it is %41 better. But on the left it is written that 2990x is %51 better than 7980xe and %64 better than 2950x.

Also if you divide the numbers on the graph to find the given percentages it is also not possible.

2950x/7900x = 1.41/1 = 1.41 = 2950x is %41 better than 7900x
    2990x/7980xe = 2.33/1.38 ~= 1.68 = 2990x is %68 better than 7980xe
    2990x/2950x = 2.33/1.41 ~= 1.65 = 2990x is %65 better than 2950x (they write %64 so this is also acceptable)

if we change 1.38 to 1.54 then everything is corrected. Again the difference can be negligible but if I am not wrong 7980xe is performing a little better than 1.54 against 7900x in cinebench.

Ok, I think I understand the confusion now. Take note that the slide is showing multiple comparisons. The numbers on the left aren't referring to the Cinebench results on the right. The Cinebench scores are already normalized, so there wouldn't be any need to write out the results in text for a percentage comparison. Each performance comparison on the left is qualified with a superscript that refers to an end note describing the conditions that comparison was made under.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Ok, I think I understand the confusion now. Take note that the slide is showing multiple comparisons. The numbers on the left aren't referring to the Cinebench results on the right. The Cinebench scores are already normalized, so there wouldn't be any need to write out the results in text for a percentage comparison. Each performance comparison on the left is qualified with a superscript that refers to an end note describing the conditions that comparison was made under.
    While %41 and %64 are similar with the graph results, what you are saying can be right but a condition that 2950x beats 7980xe on Cinebench nT as graph shows must be a very very special condition.

Xtreme Mentor
    And also don't get me wrong I am not trying to disprove your point or trying to argue just hate these nonsense marketing slides with obvious and intentional MISTAKES.