Thread: WD Black^2, 120 GB SSD + 1000 GB HDD

Xtreme Addict

WD Black^2, 120 GB SSD + 1000 GB HDD

Finally. Would be a nice upgrade for some laptops.

Model number WD1001X06XDTL.

http://www.techpowerup.com/194988/we...ual-drive.html

http://www.wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

Xtreme Addict

I am Xtreme
    feels like a $100 premium for that ssd partition

the seagate momentus xt (now called something else, i forget) has been doing this for years, and their success was from keeping the price rather low. the nand to disk space is 12% in the WD version, in seagates it was about on average, 1% of the size. We already know that performance increases were there with the seagate version. would be nice to see how this one compares and if a higher allocation to ssd vs disk makes a worthwhile difference.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post

the seagate momentus xt (now called something else, i forget) has been doing this for years, and their success was from keeping the price rather low. the nand to disk space is 12% in the WD version, in seagates it was about on average, 1% of the size. We already know that performance increases were there with the seagate version. would be nice to see how this one compares and if a higher allocation to ssd vs disk makes a worthwhile difference.
    I just read some of the launch info, didn't see how they are actually implementing it.
    The Momentus was interesting because it was using the NAND as a cache, which is why it could keep the cost low and the performance was pretty much in between a performance HDD and a SSD.

Just from the initial press release, it sounds like the WD Black^2 is setup more traditional.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Just from the initial press release, it sounds like the WD Black^2 is setup more traditional.
    What is more traditional? Two separate partitions? I don't think that would give you the best performance on a 'serial' bus.

Edit: Yup, 2 partitions with a multiplexer inbetween...and a jmicron controller.

http://techreport.com/review/25690/w...d-with-1tb-hdd
    Last edited by RVWinkle; 11-25-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

Xtreme Mentor
    I bought a 960GB SSD for around $500 mark yes its $200 more than this but with no movable parts and more speed its much better of the two. I wonder when we shall see a review for this....

EDIT: That was fast found a review

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...t-perfect.aspx
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    I just don't get why these hybrid drives exist. I don't understand how this would do anything but provide a huge amount of fast write cache for a spindle drive. The drive controller would not be part of any filesystem level IO operations so it being able to intelligently cache read information would be impossible.

I guess WD's implementation makes sense for laptops, that there are two drives in the space of one. For desktops it limits you to two mediocre drives.
    Last edited by ZX2Slow; 11-25-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    [Intel core i7 4820K..........Asus Rampage IV Black Edition] LAN Parties attended:
    [512GB Samsung 840 PRO 512GB......2xWD Black 7200 2TB RAID0] FITES [fites.net] 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
    [32GB G.Skill DDR3 2400 4x8GB....2xEVGA GTX780ti Classified] L'Pane NorEaster [lpane.net] 2010, 2009, 2008
    [Corsair 900D.......Primochill CTR 250......Corsair AX1200i] Quakecon [quakecon.org] 2010, 2009
    [MCP35x2.........Swiftech Apogee HD......Swiftech MCR420-XP] PAX East [east.paxsite.com] 2012

Xtreme Addict
    For many laptops who lacks mSATA or NGFF there aren't a whole lot of options.
    8 GB (edit: 4 GB initially) read cache isn't comparable to a 120 GB SSD. This is a first.
    Last edited by Mats; 11-25-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Xtreme Addict

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    For many laptops who lacks mSATA or NGFF there aren't a whole lot of options.

8 GB (edit: 4 GB initially) read cache isn't comparable to a 120 GB SSD. This is a first.
    100$ premium on this could have better been used elsewhere on the laptop. our new ultrabooks at work have a port for mSATA quick swapping, the older ones had it built in. if the user needed SSD and storage space, they would pick a laptop that allows it. this solution fixes a problem that should not exist

i do agree that its different, although i say wrong. the seagate option is a performance increase over traditional HDDs without the user doing a single thing. thats worth a price premium. if the user never knew how the 120GBs of SSD were used, and the partition was a simple 1.12TB, and apps loaded as fast as most SSDs, while media is kept on the disk, THEN i would agree this is worth is premium.

by going traditional they went lazy. i honestly see only a very small niche market for this, even smaller than the seagate method. i threw my seagate drive into my PS3, cant do that with this drive.

so in summary, lower compatibility, higher price, and less features.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    I bought a 960GB SSD for around $500 mark yes its $200 more than this but with no movable parts and more speed its much better of the two.
    HDDs in laptops feel so wrong these days.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    not everyone can have the latest and greatest.

the only ssd ive ever owned is a 16gb one for my arima cruncher.. still cant understand why somone would give up space or money for that "slight" speed increase and "better" reliabilty

EDIT: just re-read this, were you saying any harddrives? or just mechanical?

if the user needed SSD and storage space, they would pick a laptop that allows it. this solution fixes a problem that should not exist
    i think this is a nice drive for people who want the "best" of both worlds and dont have to upgrade all the hardware around the drive if they dont have to.. just becuase you want an ssd doesnt nessisarily mean that you purchased a laptop with the thought of using one at a later time, some people keep computers for years and only get rid of them when it becomes unbareable to use anymore.
    Last edited by NKrader; 11-26-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    So as I understand it's literally just an SSD slapped onto a 1tb HDD right? I suppose that could make it useful for devices that only have room for one drive, but otherwise why pay the premium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    [QUOTE=AliG;5218094]useful for devices that only have room for one driveQUOTE]

exactly, i could see this being a decent sized market

Xtreme Addict
    if the user needed SSD and storage space, they would pick a laptop that allows it. this solution fixes a problem that should not exist
    Trust me, there are people who didn't know what mSATA was two years ago. There are decent models that lacked mSATA back then, unfortunately. Here's one example.

Your choice of ultrabooks does probably not represent the average buyers choice.

Or as AliG put it, if you don't want it, don't buy it.
    Last edited by Mats; 11-26-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    I just read some of the launch info, didn't see how they are actually implementing it.
    The Momentus was interesting because it was using the NAND as a cache, which is why it could keep the cost low and the performance was pretty much in between a performance HDD and a SSD.

I have a pair of Momentus XT's as well as a few vertex 4 series SSD's.

I can really say the momentus XT's price was competitive enough for me to consider whilst being a great performer.

I am not sure how this one would fare.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Enthusiast
    TBH i was waiting for something like this for years.Problem is price and to some degree performance.I want this, but make it half the price even with half the storage and im buying that for my laptop.

There are millions of laptops that would be great for.However not for half of a laptops price :/.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    TBH i was waiting for something like this for years.Problem is price and to some degree performance.I want this, but make it half the price even with half the storage and im buying that for my laptop.

There are millions of laptops that would be great for.However not for half of a laptops price :/.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Small single HD's maybe. I just put a 2.5" 1Tb into my laptop to replace my old drive. I like having the space for once to have exactly what I want on the laptop.

That being said, I'm looking into replacing my optical drive with a tray containing an SSD so I can run the OS'es and critical programs off the SSD.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit