Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hey all, I'm a new member and I'm trying to decide between the combo of WCG and GPU GRID here, or FOLDING@HOME CPU/GPU. I have a 260 Gtx Core 216 oced to 673 mhz and a q6600 running @ 3.1 on air cooling. Let me know why I should choose XS WCG-GPUGRID over XS F@H.
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    GTX 260 Core 216 (mild oc)
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Xtreme Legend
    There are a bunch of us trialing gpu grid at the moment having come from folding gpu

My first observations were with xp and the major plus for me is the reduced heat when on grid....I may well end up folding in winter and grid in summer but at the moment I do both

Cpu's are on grid ...it is a lot easier than smp folding and .......so far I like the way the Grid organisation seems to be on the case for us donors compared to folding

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    its up to you to fold or do gpugrid i fold but im on summer vacation from folding im liking the grid so i might stay. and most of the folders do run wcg its a nice mix.

I am Addicted!

and as the others have said; its up to you. We cannot beg or make you choose. Let your heart lead the way ^^^

I do WCG on cpu's, and also F@H and GPUGrid on gpu's. I have dropped down to 1 gpu for F@H mostly to try gpugrid, but I like both, minimal issues either way.

I am currently limited to 6 gtx 275's and 1 9800gt. I may purchase another gtx 275 or maybe a gtx 260 being that they are currently $45-50 cheaper than a gtx275 (not sure a 275 is worth the xtra cost). Anyway If I purchase another card it will go to F@H, this way I am making decent ppd on all 3 programs.

I think 260 GTX Core 216 is still best bang for buck, if my math looks right...
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Attack Dachshund
    It's a personal choice. My suggestion to you is to sample the wares and decide for yourself.

we dont do the cross recruiting thing in the forums, it would create animosity between the teams. We all have our personal reasons for doing what we do, but that should not affect others. So be careful about asking these kinds of questions around the forum, like which is better and give me some incentive to use one over the other... that kind of conversation can lead down a bad road if someone decides to take it the wrong way.

I ran folding smp/gpu for 2 yrs, and now I'm running wcg/gpugrid.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by vassar007 View Post
    I think 260 GTX Core 216 is still best bang for buck, if my math looks right...
    You're right there. I'm about to add 6 more to the farm.

As others have said, none of us are going to beg you to join this team or the F@H team. Both have good reason to exist, and I contribute to both teams too. This is about where your own heart leads you. I would NEVER presume to speak for that. Only you know what it says.....

My take on this is that GPUGrid is a bit easier to handle for me since I already understand the Berkley BOINC client. It seems easy to manage. Realize some here seem to have/are having major problems getting going. With the same cards as you, I found it to be a piece of cake. I used the drivers right off the disk....

Now on folding, that takes the Stanford client to run. I found it only slightly harder to work with on my first machine. Farm Management is a bit harder since you must file share to manage on F@H, but just use "BOINCVIEW" and the built in hooks Berkley put in the client to control WCG or GPUGrid. For some reason, F@H's science is more understandable to me. This puts a slight edge to them...

Your opening question depends on the science. Have you read the science you are contributing to on both F@H and GPUGrid? Does either interest you more? If so, pick the one that does.

Are you new to distributed computing? There are many here who could help you narrow your choices to best suit your interest and hardware.

Pretty much, with a 260-216 to put in the game, you can go either way. Now as to your CPU capability, we would like that on WCG if you want to max out your rig. The advantage of WCG is that their are lots of easily understood projects to choose from. Two flavors of cancer, dengue fever, aids, MS, helping grow rice, and other stuff.

In any case, you have taken the first step, you have asked. Kudos to you. And welcome, in advance, to any of the teams you join here.

Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by 123bob; 07-27-2009 at 11:50 PM.
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB12 View Post
    It's a personal choice. My suggestion to you is to sample the wares and decide for yourself.

we dont do the cross recruiting thing in the forums
    , it would create animosity between the teams. We all have our personal reasons for doing what we do, but that should not affect others. So be careful about asking these kinds of questions around the forum, like which is better and give me some incentive to use one over the other... that kind of conversation can lead down a bad road if someone decides to take it the wrong way.

I ran folding smp/gpu for 2 yrs, and now I'm running wcg/gpugrid.
    Amen brother....even though I just got the crap kicked out of me by Da' Goose today... No worries, he WILL see me again..... This is making me take out the calculator, figure out the dual PCIe x16 slots I have and gear up... (I have mostly SLI ready boards here, it could be brutal if I can get them all up...)

Back @ the OP, the above "smack talk" is just that. More power to DAK1640 (Da' Goose) for running me over like I was standing still. We have lots of freindly rivalry's here, but we always will help each other get the most possible out of our hardware, even if it means giving up a team standing to do it. I have NEVER seen it otherwise.

The best thing I saw in a post above mine, is to follow your heart, do what you KNOW is the way for you. No one here will critique that...

I try to lay out what I think is a fair comparison. But realize this is from my perspective and experience. Many voices make for better decisions. Others here I would hope will correct me if I am EVER wrong on a point. I accept that, no ego, I'm not perfect. Just almost....

Regards,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Hey all, I'm a new member and I'm trying to decide between the combo of WCG and GPU GRID here, or FOLDING@HOME CPU/GPU. I have a 260 Gtx Core 216 oced to 673 mhz and a q6600 running @ 3.1 on air cooling. Let me know why I should choose XS WCG-GPUGRID over XS F@H.
    Ahh jeez, I just re-read the OP's post. I may be at risk of triple posting here, but I guess let's chalk it up to PTSD, Schizophrenia, or my advanced age....

You have more choices to consider. You can run;
    1. F@H GPU/WCG CPU
    2. F@H GPU/F@H CPU
    3. GPUGrid GPU/WCG CPU
    4. GPUGrid GPU/F@H CPU

I run choice #1 and choice #3. Why? Because F@H CPU seems inefficient to me. Others might say otherwise, here, I hope?

Regards,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Cruncher
    Bob we can blame it on on the advance age but i like to blame it on my eyes i cant find my reading glasses most of the time i hate wearing them things.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I've been running WCG since 07 and did Grid.org before that. I've been running GPUGrid for about a yearish and have loved it so far. I think I'm going to stick with GPUGRID/YOYO@home/WCG for now. Although I'm sure I'll mix it up once I get comfortable with the teams.

Also, I'm building a mineral oil pc out of a very old pc and an aquarium, which will switch around projects on a very experimental basis.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...29#post3931529

Looking forward to talking with you all,

JPF
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Xtreme Cruncher
    i got a suggestion on the fish tank submerse board put it in well ventilated area the smell of the mineral oil can get nasty smelling my wife was going to throw me out if i didn't get rid of that project.

Does it really stink?!?!? That would suck. Eventually it will live in a cool, dark basement, but for now it would live in a two bedroom apartment (two huge box fans intake/exhaust air through the rooms). Smell would be a problem. What sort of Mineral Oil did you use? J&J baby oil is apparently one of the best choices because it has fragrance which might minimize any odor.
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Xtreme Cruncher
    I followed your links vassar and ya got me looking at my 75 gallon aquarium. Fish are looking nervous. I could get alot of Opterons in a 75 gallon and pump the oil out 2 small hoses to an outside radiator. Bring radiator in during winter. Hmmmmm

Xtreme Cruncher
    Does it really stink?!?!? That would suck. Eventually it will live in a cool, dark basement, but for now it would live in a two bedroom apartment (two huge box fans intake/exhaust air through the rooms). Smell would be a problem. What sort of Mineral Oil did you use? J&J baby oil is apparently one of the best choices because it has fragrance which might minimize any odor.
    im not sure what i used for oil i did it a long time back to a chaintech board nf 250 socket 754 when that board just came out. the smell didnt bother me but it did the wife and the nasty smell was her words not mine. the wife said i used baby oil and it stunk up the whole house.she here with me as im typing this

Hey PoppaGeek, I think your radiator cooled version of the oil cooled pc is a great idea! I've incorporated some of that design philosophy into my pc with intake vents from the outdoor in winter (in Cambridge, Mass, it gets pretty cold), and exhaust vents to the outdoors in the summer (it also gets pretty hot 87F today).

FYI you only really need 4-5 gallons of mineral oil PER PC. And that is pretty overkill unless you're in a hot environment. With a 75 gallon tank, you could feasibly cool up to 10 quads using the mineral oil only as a passive coolant. If you did something interesting, like add aquarium chillers (which apparently work fine in mineral oil) or by adding huge box fans on the top, or by keeping them in an air-conditioned room, you could really push some numbers...

By the way, fwiw, I'm no computer expert, just someone who likes to experiment with free equipment.
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    I followed your links vassar and ya got me looking at my 75 gallon aquarium. Fish are looking nervous. I could get alot of Opterons in a 75 gallon and pump the oil out 2 small hoses to an outside radiator. Bring radiator in during winter. Hmmmmm
    Here's a crazy idea if you're into case mods, but you could partition the aquarium with a thick glass plate. You could caulk it into place and have a PC side by side your fish tank. And it actually would seem to work because ambient air temperatures (or cooler) are good for both your pc and the fish.
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Xtreme Cruncher
    Here's a crazy idea if you're into case mods, but you could partition the aquarium with a thick glass plate. You could caulk it into place and have a PC side by side your fish tank. And it actually would seem to work because ambient air temperatures (or cooler) are good for both your pc and the fish.
    Screw the fish! The aquarium is 4 feet long and 18 inches deep. Thats alot of quads! Using your idea of the partition I could have 3 - 4 rows of quads standing on end.

Xtreme Cruncher
    would it be easier to buy a fish tank water chiller they do stay cold, but i like the radiator idea and the thought of opties swimming in oil with little plastic fish
    is sounding good to me. if your going to do it then do it XS

That said, you do understand that this is WILDLY IRRESPONSIBLE. I give no guarantees as to the success of the project, but these videos give some indication of what to expect.

BEST GUIDE (fwiw): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80eUcUVrmw

Others:
    http://www.leetupload.com/tutorials/1337_fleet/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJWWyKsnr7k
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Xtreme Cruncher
    That said, you do understand that this is WILDLY IRRESPONSIBLE. I give no guarantees as to the success of the project, but these videos give some indication of what to expect.
    You must be new around here.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    You must be new around here.....
    Indeed
    SOGOs > BOGOs

WCG Cruncher
    just be sure to post pics

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by KME View Post
    Indeed
    Ok, on my old team this would be considered extreme. But then again, the team name wasn't XTREME SYSTEMS, so I guess this is just par for the course.
    Jonathan P. Figdor

CM HAF Full Tower
    i7 860 @ 3.6 ghz
    water-cooling
    119 Solid state OS drive
    4X1 Tb internal storage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast