Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Details Nehalem uArch Improvements - 256KB L2, 8MB L3 Confirmed

Xtreme Member

Intel Details Nehalem uArch Improvements - 256KB L2, 8MB L3 Confirmed

Nehalem Performance Improvement Features:

Update: Anand's Analysis - http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3264&p=2

Nehalem allows for 33% more micro-ops in flight compared to Penryn (128 micro-ops vs. 96 in Penryn), this increase was achieved by simply increasing the size of the re-order window and other such buffers throughout the pipeline.

With more micro-ops in flight, Nehalem can extract greater instruction level parallelism (ILP) as well as support an increase in micro-ops thanks to each core now handling micro-ops from two threads at once.

Despite the increase in ability to support more micro-ops in flight, there have been no significant changes to the decoder or front end of Nehalem. Nehalem is still fundamentally the same 4-issue design we saw introduced with the first Core 2 microprocessors. The next time we'll see a re-evaluation of this front end will most likely be 2 years from now with the 32nm "tock" processor, codenamed Sandy Bridge.

Nehalem also improved unaligned cache access performance. In SSE there are two types of instructions: one if your data is aligned to a 16-byte cache boundary, and one if your data is unaligned. In current Core 2 based processors, the aligned instructions could execute faster than the unaligned instructions. Every now and then a compiler would produce code that used an unaligned instruction on data that was aligned with a cache boundary, resulting in a performance penalty. Nehalem fixes this case (through some circuit tricks) where unaligned instructions running on aligned data are now fast.

In many applications (e.g. video encoding) you're walking through bytes of data through a stream. If you happen to cross a cache line boundary (64-byte lines) and an instruction needs data from both sides of that boundary you encounter a latency penalty for the unaligned cache access. Nehalem significantly reduces this latency penalty, so algorithms for things like motion estimation will be sped up significantly (hence the improvement in video encode performance).

Nehalem also introduces a second level branch predictor per core. This new branch predictor augments the normal one that sits in the processor pipeline and aids it much like a L2 cache works with a L1 cache. The second level predictor has a much larger set of history data it can use to predict branches, but since its branch history table is much larger, this predictor is much slower. The first level predictor works as it always has, predicting branches as best as it can, but simultaneously the new second level predictor will also be evaluating branches. There may be cases where the first level predictor makes a prediction based on the type of branch but doesn't really have the historical data to make a highly accurate prediction, but the second level predictor can. Since it (the 2nd level predictor) has a larger history window to predict from, it has higher accuracy and can, on the fly, help catch mispredicts and correct them before a significant penalty is incurred.

The renamed return stack buffer is also a very important enhancement to Nehalem. Mispredicts in the pipeline can result in incorrect data being populated into Penryn's return stack (a data structure that keeps track of where in memory the CPU should begin executing after working on a function). A return stack with renaming support prevents corruption in the stack, so as long as the calls/returns are properly paired you'll always get the right data out of Nehalem's stack even in the event of a mispredict.
    Update : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/535/3

Let’s now explain other microarchitecture enhancements that Nehalem will incorporate.

First Nehalem will have four dispatch units instead of three. So what does that mean? This means that internally the CPU can have four microinstructions processing at the same time instead of three like on other Core-based CPUs (Core 2 Duo, for example). This represents a 33% improvement in the CPU processing capability. Translation: this CPU will be faster than Core 2 Duo CPUs under the same clock rate because it can process four microinstructions at the same time instead of three.

Second, Nehalem will have a second 512-entry TLB (Translation Look-aside Buffer). This circuit is a table used for the conversion between physical addresses and virtual addresses by the virtual memory circuit. Virtual memory is a technique where the CPU simulates more RAM memory on a file on the hard drive (called swap file) to allow the computer to continue operating even when there is not enough RAM available (the CPU gets what is on the RAM memory, stores inside this swap file and then frees memory for using). According to Intel adding this second table will improve the CPU performance.

And third there are enhancements on the branch prediction unit, with the addition of a second BTB (Branch Target Buffer). Branch prediction is a circuit that tries to guess the next steps of a program in advance, loading to inside the CPU the instructions it thinks the CPU will try to load next. If it hits it right, the CPU won’t waste time loading these instructions from memory, as they will be already inside the CPU. Increasing the size (or adding a second one, in the case of this CPU) of the BTB allows this circuit to load even more instructions in advance, improving the performance of the CPU.
    Full List:
    Performance Improvement Features:

With the next generation microarchitecture, Intel made significant core enhancements to further improve
    the performance of the individual processor cores. Below we describe some of these enhancements.

Instructions per cycle improvements. The more instructions that can be run per each clock cycle, the greater the performance. In addition, in many cases, by running more instructions in any given clock cycle, the work task can complete sooner enabling the processor to more quickly get back into a lower power state. To run more instructions per cycle, Intel made several key innovations.

Greater parallelism. One way to extract more parallelism out of software code is to increase the
    amount of instructions that can be run “out of order.” This enables more simultaneous processing and
    overlap latency. To be able to identify more independent operations that can be run in parallel, Intel
    increased the size of the out-of-order window and scheduler, giving them a wider window from
    which to look for these operations. Intel also increased the size of the other buffers in the core to
    ensure they wouldn’t become a limiting factor.

More efficient algorithms. With each new microarchitecture, Intel has included improved algorithms in places where previous processor generations saw lost performance due to stalls (dead cycles). Next generation Intel microarchitecture (Nehalem) brings many such improved algorithms to increase performance. These include:

Faster Synchronization Primitives: As multi-threaded software becomes more prevalent, the
    need to synchronize threads is also becoming more common. Next generation Intel
    microarchitecture (Nehalem) speeds up the common legacy synchronization primitives (such
    as instructions with a LOCK prefix or the XCHG instruction) so that existing threaded
    software will see a performance boost.

Faster Handling of Branch Mispredictions: A common way to increase performance is
    through the prediction of branches. Next generation Intel microarchitecture (Nehalem)
    optimizes the cases where the predictions are wrong, so that the effective penalty of
    branch mispredictions overall is lower than on prior processors.

Improved hardware prefetch and better load-store scheduling: Next generation Intel
    microarchitecture (Nehalem) continues the many advances Intel made with the 45nm next
    generation Intel Core microarchitecture (Penryn) family of processors in reducing memory
    access latencies through prefetch and load-store scheduling improvements.

Enhanced branch prediction. Branch prediction attempts to guess whether a conditional branch will be taken or not. Branch predictors are crucial in today's processors for achieving high performance. They allow processors to fetch and execute instructions without waiting for a branch to be resolved. Processors also use branch target prediction to attempt to guess the target of the branch or unconditional jump before it is computed by parsing the instruction itself. In addition to greater performance, an additional benefit of increased branch prediction accuracy is that it can enable the processor to consume less energy by spending less time executing mis-predicted branch paths.

Next generation Intel microarchitecture (Nehalem) uses several innovations to reduce branch mispredicts
    that can hinder performance and to improve the handling of branch mispredicts.

• New second-level branch target buffer (BTB). To improve branch predictions in applications that have large code footprints, such as database applications, Intel added a second-level branch target buffer (BTB). BTBs reduce the performance penalty of branches in pipelined processors by predicting the
    path of the branch and caching information used by the branch.

• New renamed return stack buffer (RSB). RSBs store forward and return pointers associated with call and return instructions. Next generation microarchitecture’s renamed RSB helps avoid many common
    return instruction mispredictions

Intel Smart Cache Enhancements:

The new three-level cache hierarchy for next generation Intel microarchitecture (Nehalem) consists of:

• Same L1 cache as Intel Core microarchitecture (32 KB Instruction Cache, 32 KB Data Cache)
    • New L2 cache per core for very low latency (256 KB per core for handling data and instruction)
    • New fully inclusive, fully shared 8MB L3 cache (all applications can use entire cache)

A new two-level Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) hierarchy is also included in next generation Intel
    microarchitecture (Nehalem). A TLB is a processor cache that is used by memory management hardware to improve the speed of virtual address translation. The TLB references physical memory addresses in its table.

All current desktop and server processors use a TLB, but next generation Intel microarchitecture (Nehalem)
    adds a new second level 512 entry TLB to further improve performance.

Improved virtualization performance. Next generation Intel microarchitecture (Nehalem) adds new features that enable software to further improve their performance in virtualized environments. For example, the next generation microarchitecture includes an Extended Page Table (EPT) for reconciling memory type specification in a guest operating system with memory type specification in the host operating system in virtualization systems that support memory type specification.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Source and much more info (SMT, QuickPath): Intel (PDF)

PDF 2 (With Slides)

More briefings here : http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...i_20080317fact

Update: Anand's Analysis - http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3264&p=2

Sounds awesome.. Excellent to see more uArch improvments, (P.S. that's the way to go, AMD) Guess it's safe to debunk those "Penryn with an IMC" theories now.. .

Can't Wait.

Last edited by Face; 03-18-2008 at 02:06 AM.
    Faceman

Xtreme Guru
    I think I just came
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    the vast majority of that means sod all to me.

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Addict
    Me wants, to bad it will probably be way out of my budget range.....
    (DDR3, new mobo and a CPU that has no competition)
    EDIT: there is also some more news on Larrabee and it is confirmed that is will support OpenGL and DirectX (which was expected ). Check here.
    Last edited by Helmore; 03-17-2008 at 01:31 PM.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Member
    ...may god help AMD,im really afraid for them,wouldnt like to see them go down
    ---
    ---
    "Generally speaking, CMOS power consumption is the result of charging and discharging gate capacitors. The charge required to fully charge the gate grows with the voltage; charge times frequency is current. Voltage times current is power. So, as you raise the voltage, the current consumption grows linearly, and the power consumption quadratically, at a fixed frequency. Once you reach the frequency limit of the chip without raising the voltage, further frequency increases are normally proportional to voltage. In other words, once you have to start raising the voltage, power consumption tends to rise with the cube of frequency."
    +++
    1st
    CPU - 2600K(4.4ghz)/Mobo - AsusEvo/RAM - 8GB1866mhz/Cooler - VX/Gfx - Radeon 6950/PSU - EnermaxModu87+700W
    +++
    2nd
    TRUltra-120Xtreme /// EnermaxModu82+(625w) /// abitIP35pro/// YorkfieldQ9650-->3906mhz(1.28V) /// 640AAKS & samsung F1 1T &samsung F1640gb&F1 RAID 1T /// 4gigs of RAM-->520mhz /// radeon 4850(700mhz)-->TRHR-03 GT
    ++++
    3rd
    Windsor4200(11x246-->2706mhz-->1.52v) : Zalman9500 : M2N32-SLI Deluxe : 2GB ddr2 SuperTalent-->451mhz : seagate 7200.10 320GB :7900GT(530/700) : Tagan530w

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AAbenson View Post
    ...may god help AMD,im really afraid for them,wouldnt like to see them go down
    They wont, not for another 5 years at least.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

BRING-IT-ON-BABY

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    the vast majority of that means sod all to me.
    Yeah, benches instead for me please

Xtreme Addict
    too bad ati is with amd :P seems they picked wrong side

Banned
    Keep in mind that Nehalem is designed from the ground for the new 45nm process. It is n-mos based(unlike Penryn which is p-mos), where the Intel 45nm holds the performance world record.

Combine this with the new bus and the 3 on-die memory controllers...

Xtreme Member
    nehalem will be hammer for AMD CPUs

Xtreme Member
    P.S. I removed the following slide:

I mistakenly thought it's for Nehalem (was in the same presentation), but I later found out this on Intel's website:

Intel AVX: The next step in the Intel instruction set. The instructions will be implemented in the microarchitecture codenamed "Sandy Bridge" in the 2010 timeframe.
    Last edited by Face; 03-17-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    Faceman

Xtreme Guru
    yes but that will mean that amd will be forced to work harder which eventually get rid of hector which can only be a good thing for them, they should put someone like Dirk in that position instead, I like him a lot more

Anyways, yes it will hammer amd's cpus but hey we're the consumer, not the fanboys (well some of us might be), I go for where the performance is at, not company of choice. when amd was in the lead I bought two athlon products, but now that intel is doing the spanking, I'm going to get an intel product, its as simple as that.

Best advice I can give you is to not buy products from the company you only like if the competition offers something better, look back at the k8 days, it took amd almost the full 4 year lead they had to convince dell to buy their cpus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks very impressive. I want one Just going to be way out of my budget.

Xtreme Addict
    So nobody noticed how much it resembles K10. IMC, 3-level cache structure, focus on multithreading. I dont think Nehalem is going to improve single-threaded performance much but multithreaded code should get executed a lot faster. Suprisingly L1 cache is still stuck at 64KB. If anything this is potentially going to hurt AMDs server sales although i expect it will be a while before a MP version gets released. **Edit nFETs have always had the higher drive current and still do.**
    Last edited by BrowncoatGR; 03-17-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: factual error
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

i cant wait for these things its going to be my next big upgrade im not touching any of the 9xxx penryn processors why do that when im just going to have to upgrade when Nehalem comes out anyway...i might even go with the extreme processor to start as well!!! damn i cant wait!!!

Wanna look under my kilt?

If that cache breakdown is accurate then its possible that a lot of our benchmarks will suffer, or at least- not see the performance boost we expect.

It depends on how Intel use the cache- it is obviously totally different to AMDs cache for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Mentor
    Can't Wait!
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Member
    Anand has some analysis.. :

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3264&p=1

Explained in a simple english.. Worth reading.
    Faceman

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    1+8MB of fast cache on quad-cores... it means that we will still see a decent performance boost. I'd like to see benchmarks on the current L2 v. future L3 cache, to see where it'll all stand. No doubt it's significantly faster than Penryn--Intel has been working on Nehalem for a long time now. If they keep going and all reasonable expectations are met, Nehalem's launch will make Core's launch look like a poorly planned party. I'd like to hear more about RDIMM and UDIMM, as well as what type of DDR3 they'll be using. I don't think they need FB-DIMMs, though they'll probably require some sort of registered DIMMs.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Mentor
    GoGo 33% more parallelism !!! lol

=]

I LIKE
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    So nobody noticed how much it resembles K10. IMC, 3-level cache structure, focus on multithreading. I dont think Nehalem is going to improve single-threaded performance much but multithreaded code should get executed a lot faster. Suprisingly L1 cache is still stuck at 64KB. If anything this is potentially going to hurt AMDs server sales although i expect it will be a while before a MP version gets released. BTW n-mos based design? Iirc p-mos still has higher drive current, but the gap got a lot smaller with High-K and Metal gates.
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post

If that cache breakdown is accurate then its possible that a lot of our benchmarks will suffer, or at least- not see the performance boost we expect.

It depends on how Intel use the cache- it is obviously totally different to AMDs cache for example.
    Here's from Anand on Nehalem's New Cache Architecture: (Also hinting at performance).

The cache subsystem of Nehalem is almost entirely changed from Penryn. While Nehalem has the same 32KB L1 instruction and data caches of Penryn, the L2 and L3 caches are brand new. Each core in a quad-core Nehalem now has a smaller 256KB L2 cache, which Intel is calling "low latency" (potentially lower latency than Penryn thanks to a smaller cache size). While ditching the shared L2, Intel equipped Nehalem with a large 8MB fully-shared L3 cache that can be used by all cores.

This setup seems very similar to AMD's Phenom architecture, obviously built on Intel's Core 2 base however - the major difference here is that the cache hierarchy is inclusive and not exclusive like AMD's. The inclusive architecture means that each level of cache has a copy of data from the lower cache levels.

Nehalem effectively includes the only remaining advantages AMD held over Intel with respect to memory performance and interconnect speed - you can expect a tremendous performance increase going from Penryn to Nehalem because of this. Intel is expecting memory accesses to be around twice the speed in Nehalem as they are in Penryn, which thanks to its aggressive prefetchers are already incredibly fast. If you think Intel's performance advantage is significant today, Nehalem should completely redefine your perspective - AMD needs its Bobcat and Bulldozer cores if it is going to want to compete.

Intel has also added a new 2nd level TLB in Nehalem, similar in approach to its new 2nd level branch predictor. The first level TLB does a good job of keeping the cores fed quickly, but if there isn't a physical/virtual address mapping found in the first level TLB Nehalem can now look in the second level TLB instead of looking in the cache to keep performance high and latency low.

The TLB enhancements in particular look to be particularly great at server workloads, we suspect that Intel may be looking to really take on Opteron with Nehalem.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3264&p=3
    Faceman

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post

if anything they'de go UP.

Core CPU
    64k fast cache
    6mb medium cash

k8 CPU
    128k fast cache
    2mb medium speed cache

k10 cpu
    k8 CPU
    128k fast cache
    1mb medium speed cache
    3mb SLOW cache

nehalem
    64k fast cache
    2mb somewhat fast cache speed cache
    8mb medium cache

Xtreme Addict
    I wrote that it resembles K10 not that it copies it or that it has identical features. I had already noticed that the L3 was inclusive. My point was that both arch are designed with MT code in mind and therefore share similar properties, although how those are implemented obiously differs. As for that Anand article i'd really like to know what ST and lightly MT apps(most Desktop apps) they know that are bandwith limited. Because if they are not obviously you are not going to gain much.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    I just hope all this doesnt mean the return of the cold bug.
    integrated memory controllers tend to have cold bugs.

in a few weeks with the A64, I bought 13 of them to find one, that didnt have a cold bug.
    I sure as hell couldnt afford to do that with a Intel chip.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast