Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [BSN] AMD Toys with Intel at IDF 2013: Passes Out Potato Chips

Xtreme Enthusiast

[BSN] AMD Toys with Intel at IDF 2013: Passes Out Potato Chips

ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 // FX-6200 @ 4.65 (245x? 64bit os) 1.45v,2200 nb/HT //8GB Mushkin DDR3 @833 8-8-8-24 cmd1 1.55v // HD7850// Silverstone 650w // ~32inch portal // WDgreen and blue // Kingston v300 120GB SSD // watercooled with Swiftech storm rev2, Fez 240 , 655 pump not packed into a Corsair Obsidian 650D ///

Xtreme Mentor
    i like potato chips
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Addict
    , that's kinda cool.

Xtreme Member
    So in the second picture you see a skinny Asian chick with potato chips. And in the last picture, suddenly the Asian chick is not so skinny anymore. Did she eat all those chips?
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Xtreme Addict
    Well can you eat one of the larger cans of pringles to yourself without throwing up afterwards?

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Well can you eat one of the larger cans of pringles to yourself without throwing up afterwards?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    Getting a bit fed up with AMD and their marketing department. There was a time (years ago now) I wouldn't have anything but AMD in my rigs, now it's Intel all the way. Wasted money, time and effort on another useless attempt at swaying the masses their way.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Wanna look under my kilt?
    A street team and a few cases of snacks is not an expensive marketing campaign. This really changes NOTHING.

If Intel did this, we would still buy their stuff because it performs well with a nice power consumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Getting a bit fed up with AMD and their marketing department. There was a time (years ago now) I wouldn't have anything but AMD in my rigs, now it's Intel all the way. Wasted money, time and effort on another useless attempt at swaying the masses their way.
    So for the last 5-10 years everyone is bagging on AMD about their lack of marketing/advertisement.
    Now people are bagging on them for stepping up?
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

I am Xtreme
    This is pretty clever and doesn't cost much. I approve!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    So for the last 5-10 years everyone is bagging on AMD about their lack of marketing/advertisement.
    Now people are bagging on them for stepping up?
    Everyone? Don't tarnish me with your brush please.

But stepping up.......with potato chips? They need to bake some proper chips. Their marketing campaigns usually stink of trolling. It pushes people away. I couldn't praise AMD enough in years, decades past. Now stuff like this just makes me annoyed. They need to focus their effort into making proper CPUs. Let their real chips do the talking. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Tim; 09-20-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Addict
    Everyone? Don't tarnish me with your brush please.
    Maybe not you personally but the general consensus was AMD wasn't doing enough marketing.

But stepping up.......with potato chips? They need to bake some proper chips. Their marketing campaigns usually stink of trolling. It pushes people away. I couldn't praise AMD enough in years, decades past. Now stuff like this just makes me annoyed. They need to focus their effort into making proper CPUs. Let their real chips do the talking. Just my two cents.
    Publicity is publicity.
    They do the same thing as years past and have great performing chips with no marketing and/or strong brand and people will still buy Intel/Nvidia.
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Guru
    i personally loved intels " 17% HIGHER LATENCY " ads. if you don't get why they were giving away chips.... to promote their chips.... then wow.
    Last edited by i found nemo; 09-20-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Addict
    I think he's just mad because amd can't compete in the $200-300 segment right now.

I think they screwed themselves with the 2 int's and 1 fpu per unit config.
    In theory I think it was an idea, good one maybe.
    Fpu's take more voltage then int's at the same clock speed.
    Most code uses integer code, regular registers to put it simply.
    In that sense it seems like it has 8 cores, but in floating point it only has 4.
    Which should be fine for most apps.

But it's not just that, it's the mem bendwith for one.
    For 2, ipc.

I wanna give an example, a sempron on an am2 board.
    I had to clock it to 3ghz just to watch youtube at 360p, or really any flash video for that matter.
    That's pretty darned crazy when there cpu's that were years older outperformed them at lower clocks.

I do like there 1090t and 1100t cpu's, those were nice at the time.
    They still do alright.
    It's just personally, I wanna upgrade and I see these new 8 cores that have less fpus then what I got already, ad from what I've sen in benchmarks the only way they compete with intel these days is when they are under ln2, while the intel chips are on air...
    That's a big freaking difference in some places, in others no one will notice the difference.

Amd is still doing alright for the avg customer, the "avg" gamer.
    But when it comes to the best of the best, amd is not I'm afraid.

I'm going off topic though, and ranting on about crap people really don't care about.
    Things are the way they are right now.
    Amd has to go back to the drawing boards if they wanna compete in the high end.
    I'm not just saying performance wise either, comparing power usage, there's no comparison right now at all :\.

Gpu wise they are doing alright they just need that power consumption to go down.
    Which probably costs more money then what they have so they probably are just struggling on until they can make a move to a new fab.

As for there marketing, not everyone will see what they have done at idf.
    But I definitely approve of the method they used at the idf.
    Amd needs to specialize in something, so perhaps someone will invest in them.

Xtreme Mentor
    Bring some real chips moar, AMD.
    Potatoes don't do math

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Bring some real chips moar, AMD.
    Potatoes don't do math
    But they can empower stuff.

Xtreme Member
    Damn bro, you act like AMDs research and development money all went to partying and marketing... AMD can do whatever they want considering what Intel got away with doing to them. Believe me, AMD already proved themselves once and they will come through again. In the meantime, you can cut all your support for them but don't spew hate speech about a company that competes with Intel...it's pretty impressive that they have done just that for so long. A monopoly would mean utter despair and certainly no Tick-Tock release for consumers.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Mentor
    It worked
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

XS News
    Ahhh the old hay day. Nothing is meant to last. Eventually Intel will slide again under its status and AMD will rise again (or some other company in a similar position). It wasn't a single thing that caused AMD to slide, just a combination of them.
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Xtreme Addict
    this was done to promote a charity event they were hosting later that evening. two birds, on stone.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    I wanna give an example, a sempron on an am2 board.
    I had to clock it to 3ghz just to watch youtube at 360p, or really any flash video for that matter.
    That's pretty darned crazy when there cpu's that were years older outperformed them at lower clocks.

wth. i used to own an intel t7200 for my laptop and amd 5050e on another laptop and both could play 480p with no issue, the 5050e could play 720 without a problem. both with 667mhz ddr2. so was the sempron chip a dual core? because on my 4200+ @ 3ghz i can play 1080 with no issue. maybe you had weak graphics?

Xtreme Addict
    Nah the sempron was a single core, I had 1066 ram, I think I ran it around 800-900 on that cpu.
    Vga was an 8600gt, board was the dfi lp 790fx m2r.

Pi times were decent, actual real world performance was horrid.

Both the x2's I had and the phenom did fine at lower speeds, just the sempron had a heck of a time.
    I'de go and watch some youtube or anime at other sites and I'de have to turn off hardware acceleration
    The right click context menu setting thingy, all it really was is a bilinear filter back in the day, not the gpu acceleration ver's of flash, this was before that.
    Using the opera browser, which had issues on it's own it always has.
    Who knows maybe it would of worked alot better in chrome or firefox, but at the time I only used opera when it was possible to do so.
    What happened is my board killed the mem controller on my phenom while I did a smbus scan in some program.
    So I got stuck using the sempron until a buddy donated an x2 to me, then eventually I traded up with another buddy to another x2 that could do 3ghz, previous maxed out around 2.6ghz.

Then I upgraded to the board in my sig currently, the asus ch4f.

What's odd though, my nf2's, both of them were faster on youtube and such lol, compared to that single core sempron.
    It just blows my mind.
    I don't remember having any probs at all with video's offline in mpc-hc, just the actual flash player.

The sempron I had didn't have much for l2 cache, I can't remember now the amount of it.
    I "think" it was 128k or 256k.

Xtreme Member
    seems like they stole this idea from the Seattle police. http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/18/us/sea...way/index.html
    asrock z77 extreme6
    G.SKILL Sniper F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR
    asus 5870
    wd 1tb black
    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by osiris999 View Post
    seems like they stole this idea from the Seattle police. http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/18/us/sea...way/index.html

LMAO. yes i'm sure they did.

Xtreme Addict
    As a gigantic troll of all of all of the people I know and am personally friends with, I could not help but write this story.

Quality troll. Doesn't really achieve anything, imho, but it was still a good troll nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast