Thread: passive pumpless watercooling

passive pumpless watercooling

i was given a cooling system with a broken pump. i would like to get passive liquid cooling, with out a fan going for a single reason. no moving parts (except for the liquid) to break. does anyone know of a good liquid cooling block that would serve my purpose for an AM2+ socket?

i seek this as i use linux and never reboot, and want a system with cooling that can take a year with out rebooting. i dont like fans at all, and would like to get several liquid loops going, like one for the processor one for the video board, one for the hard drive.

i was thinking about getting an automotive heater core to cool the liquid, or maybe an external small car radiator.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You need to keep the liquid moving through the loop to geit too cool down. otherwise the water in the CPU block will heat up more and more but won't be replaced by cooler liquid that was cooled down in the radiator. There is some kind of setup though that will keep the water moving by itself a little bit, enough to cool some less powerful non-overclocked parts at least. I'll try to look it up since I don't remember what it's called or how it woked exactly

And as long as you use a mechnical hard drive there's not much point in trying to go fan and pumpless since pretty much whatever you do with the HD, you can get the pump and the fans to be quieter than the HD.

Edit: This company actually sells pumpless watercooling setups:
    http://www.watercomputer.com/
    It seems the website is a little outdated since the hardware they list is like 5+ years old. Also the temperatures they achieved could be easily bested by good passive air coolers (Scythe Ninja or Orochi are good for going passive)
    Last edited by Nickel020; 02-16-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just as a note, if you want to go fanless it's much easier to do this with a good air cooling setup. Depending on your hardware that's pretty easy to do. If you really want to go passive then you should also get a fanless PSU then though since you'll quickly notice the PSU fan when every other one is gone. Waht's the point of trying to get rid of every fan when you still have the PSU fan? None really...
    The case should also be big so the PSU doesn't heat up the CPU area.
    Last edited by Nickel020; 02-16-2009 at 02:58 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I'd better jump in here before someone tries to spread a rumor that running passive will blow up a CPU.

Yes, you can run completely passive. Although, you will get much better results with some kind of fan running on the rad as it will create a higher delta between the rad and block which is what causes the water to move in the first place. It also needs to be set up properly to get the most out of such a system.

As for a CPU block, anything that has a low pressure drop like the OCZ Hydroflow, D-Tek Fuzion (I'd go with a v1), Swiftech Apogee or Apogee GT, or some of the XSPC blocks are pretty good for high flow. Personally, I'd go with the Fuzion v1.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjamaster View Post
    i was given a cooling system with a broken pump. i would like to get passive liquid cooling, with out a fan going for a single reason. no moving parts (except for the liquid) to break. does anyone know of a good liquid cooling block that would serve my purpose for an AM2+ socket?

i seek this as i use linux and never reboot, and want a system with cooling that can take a year with out rebooting. i dont like fans at all, and would like to get several liquid loops going, like one for the processor one for the video board, one for the hard drive.

i was thinking about getting an automotive heater core to cool the liquid, or maybe an external small car radiator.
    it could work .. but you'll need more than a 200 deg celcius to circulate the loop .. by that time, the CPU would have boiled to CPU heaven

lol .. you need a very long loop > 10 meters ...with a huge amount of rads >5x360

and the chip must survive the high temps ..

I am Xtreme
    tried..fanless and pumpless...hahahaha cpu temp in the bios was 00.............100c...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It'd likely be easier and cheaper and more effective to put the noisy crap in another room instead and pipe it into your computer. Find some 800rpm fans and downclock them if you have to.

+1 to air cooling for passive
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Member
    Move to Alaska?