Thread: DRAM Static Read Control ; Ai Clock Twister ; Transaction Booster

DRAM Static Read Control ; Ai Clock Twister ; Transaction Booster

"Ai Clock Twister", Le "DRAM Static Read Control" et "Transaction Booster".

Three nice parameters to configure on boards Asus X38, but... I could not find any valuable info about them.

In the manual: nothing; on the Asus Website: nothing; in the forums: many things (and their opposite) about the best setups (every possible options were sugegsted, in equal proportions), but no explanation.

I could only find a few generic descriptions:
    - The "Ai Clock Twister" is assimilated to an automated choice for the timings and sub-timings of the RAM, by performance level

- The "DRAM Static Read Control" allow to win between 4ns and 5ns latency and 300 to 500 mo/s read bandwith; however, it stresses very much the RAM, and it will raise much lower in frequency.

- The "Transaction Booster" is not compatible with DRAM Static Read Control... The "Static" is the preferec option, even if it is more stressing, and also more performing
    Is it a reliable inf ? In any case, very incomplete...

Is there anyone who could provide a little more (reliable) informations (how and why) about these options ?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    1) Ai Clock Twister:
    I haven't checked yet, but I believe it's a fancy marketing name from Asus for DRAM Drive Strength.
    Will have to confirm though, I'm not 100% sure on this.

2) DRAM Static Read Control along with Transaction Booster have a big effect in memory ( RAM ) bandwidth.
    If you open up MemSet by FELIX, you'll see a setting named "Performance Level", in "general" it's a setting that has to do with some internal timings of the chipset ( the memory controller precisely ). The lower the Performance Level, the more RAM Bandwidth and better ( lower ) latency.

The Transaction booster works like an offset setting.
    For example with Transaction Booster at "Enabled" with Boost Level at 0, and XXX FSB & RAM Divider you have 7 Performance Level ( e.g. )
    If you set the Boost Level at 1 at the same settings, the performance level will be switched to 6 instead of 7.
    At the same settings, if you set Transaction Booster to disabled and the Relax Level to 0 the performance level will get set to 8.
    Relax level 1 will result in P.L. 9
    etc

The performance level depends on the FSB Strap used, the DRAM Divider used and the Transaction Booster & DRAM Static Read Control settings.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Transaction booster is setting the PL. Boost of 1 is PL of 7 and Boost of 2 is PL of 6 I believe.

D-Tek Fuzion quad nozzle & MCW30
    8800GTS 512 @820/999/1998 with a MCW60
    2xMCP655b
    1xMCR320 and 1xMCR120 with 4x Yate Loon SH's
    2x Raptor X

I am Xtreme
    Think Bench is quite right (as usual, he's THE GURU )...

What I always do :First I set my OC with transaction booster and static read control disabled... if all is fine I enable Transaction booster and will test it till I get max performance and yet keep max stability... Transaction booster on my P5K dlx with level 3 doesn't post... you have to cross check memset and run eg everest home bandwith benchmarks to see what works and what not...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoZZeR999 View Post
    Transaction booster is setting the PL. Boost of 1 is PL of 7 and Boost of 2 is PL of 6 I believe.
    Depends on FSB - running 542FSB gives PL8 even with booster set to boost level2.
    If nothing works nomore......:

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by camouflage View Post
    Depends on FSB - running 542FSB gives PL8 even with booster set to boost level2.
    Check my post.

Transaction Booster works like an offset setting.
    The "default" P.L. applied by the board varies depending on the FSB Strap, FSB, RAM Divider & DRAM Static Read Control.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Check my post.

Transaction Booster works like an offset setting.
    The "default" P.L. applied by the board varies depending on the FSB Strap, FSB, RAM Divider & DRAM Static Read Control.
    Yep - that's it - nice explain. But I read somewhere that Static Read Control should be disabled when You OC, but maybe this was BS.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Nope, static read gives you a nice boost on ram performance.
    However, it may "seem" to limit your transaction booster setting, but if you test it at the same timings with Enabled and Transaction Booster level X, and then disabled DRAM S.R.C. and Transaction Booster Level X + 1, you get the same performance ( and same P.L. )

When I'm testing RAM or mobos for something, first I hit my desired FSB, Memory Divider and relaxed timings, and then start memtesting by tightening each timing.
    After finishing the timings, I play with T.B. & DRAM S.R.C. & DRAM Dynamic Write Control.
    Once you tweak all those, you're set for max performance at those FSB/RAM settings.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Nope, static read gives you a nice boost on ram performance.
    However, it may "seem" to limit your transaction booster setting, but if you test it at the same timings with Enabled and Transaction Booster level X, and then disabled DRAM S.R.C. and Transaction Booster Level X + 1, you get the same performance ( and same P.L. )

When I'm testing RAM or mobos for something, first I hit my desired FSB, Memory Divider and relaxed timings, and then start memtesting by tightening each timing.
    After finishing the timings, I play with T.B. & DRAM S.R.C. & DRAM Dynamic Write Control.
    Once you tweak all those, you're set for max performance at those FSB/RAM settings.

That's interesting - I always left static read & dynamic write at AUTO, do You know if the BIOS sets it to en or dis when left at AUTO?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by camouflage View Post
    That's interesting - I always left static read & dynamic write at AUTO, do You know if the BIOS sets it to en or dis when left at AUTO?
    the auto setting is not always the same, it depends what strap you are on
    Asus Crosshair III
    Phenom X2 550@X4
    Cooler Master V10
    2x2gb G-SKILL DDR3
    ASUS HD 4890 Top
    Antec 850w
    WD 500gb
    WD 80gb

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by hstuehmeyer2000 View Post
    the auto setting is not always the same, it depends what strap & FSB you are on

p.s. I never rely on auto settings

OK, thanks for these tips.
    I will try approach of BenchZowner this evening.

Xtreme Addict
    from my findings on the maximus formula and rampage, AI clocktwister on Strong give u better bandwitch in Everest, 100-200 more in read and slightly better latency aswell, then on auto/moderate, thus it can cause instabilitys, but often not the case, TB and dram read control are more sensitive. What this option actually does I dont know, TB and dram read static control has to do with performance level like above stated and are more sensitive.
    Last edited by CERO; 04-22-2008 at 07:19 AM.
    DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
    Intel Q6600 L737B242 ~ VID 1.2125 ~ 4000mhZ @ 1.48 vcore {lapped}
    eVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB {stock}
    Crucial Ballistix PC8500 Tracer ~ 1200mhZ 5-5-5-12 @ 2.05v
    Lian Li PC-V1000 {modded}
    Corsair HX 620W
    Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
    Thermalright-Ultra120 Xtreme {lapped} ft. Scythe S-Flex SFF21F S-FDB ~ Push & Pull

SSD faster than your HDD
    You also received an answer at TTR AstroBill in case you hadn't checked yet.

I tested some new settings.

Transaction Booster must be Disabled (if Enabled, crash) and Relax Level to 0 is stable (OCCT 30 min).

I will test the other settings this evening.
    Ai Clock Twister is currently Light (any hope it will work with Moderate and String ?).
    DRAM Static Read Control is Disabled (I will Enable it).