Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gears of war 2

Xtreme Enthusiast

Gears of war 2

Has anyone got this yet. Mine came through the post a day early which was a nice surprise when I got home after having to share the train with a drunk old lady who had shat her pants. Prime example of kama at work if you ask me

Its fantastic so far. Only played through the first couple of stages which were worringly more massive action set piece than the brutal close face to face combat from the first one but this is about the change.

The new locations, whilst not differeing to much in style, certainly add a nice touch of variety to the gears universe and the game certainly feels a lot more epic in places when you start mowing down whole hordes of the locust with a mounted gun.

Being able to use enemies for shields is also great fun and watching them struggle as the get hit by their own teammates is great. Unfortunatly I am unable to sample the multiplayer as I do not have a gold live account.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm going to wait a week or two before picking this and COD5 up, I've got too many games to finish still. A couple of my friends who have it already can't stop raving about it though.

Banned
    The Game is Great in theory..... BUT the A.I. Sucks to no avail, the amount of times ive had the A.I. in SP stand right next to me or not even notice me on the ground and I bleed out is an out cry, seriously if they dont patch the bugs within a week, my copy will be going back... I hate it when you pay for something and dont get it, I didnt pay for a glitchy game, thanks but no thanks.... its about time we started demanding our money back on games, or unfinished games... make them learn from their leasons!

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    I think i will pick it up, it's my son's b-day so it's a gift for him
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've only bled out from my team mates being stupid and not reviving me once. But tbh real men don't crawl around on their hands and knees in the middle of a firefight

It is annoying though and the time it happened to me I think it was a glitch because I was just about to get back on the big rig thing after it had been fixed and was knocked down just as I was getting up onto it, the AI continued as if to get up onto the big rig as well but then just stopped still and didn't even return fire.

I have also noticed that it only ever seems to be the on character that revives you, but seeing as this wasn't even a feature in the first one it kind of lowers the difficulty level as you can be revived.
    And thats what I love about Gears, the sense of acheivement from finshing it on the hardest difficulty so that offers huge replaybility for me. Also you will spend a lot longer on the hardest difficulty levels trying to get through the game whereas on medium you could probably fly through it quite quickly.

The level design once again is fantastic and having to swim around in a river of blood sure does take gore to a whole new level. This for me is my game of the year. I am yet to get fallout 3 though and am sure that I will love it, but nothing beats the visceral thrill of chainsawing your opponents in half or the fast paced action gameplay that can quickly be picked up but long to master.

Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post
    I think i will pick it up, it's my son's b-day so it's a gift for him
    Viper I think you are going to have to buy two copies otherwise social services might have something to say about starving your child of a piece of brilliant popular culture.
    Last edited by Chris_redfield; 11-07-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CandymanCan View Post
    Yea linchpin, im 32 hours into Fallout 3 and this game is going to be game of year, its probly the best game i have everp layed in my life. Im not even 20% done with it either i have like 60% of the map to explore still lol. All the sides quests i get caught up with i just skipped the main story all together.

As for buggy gears of war, how do you patch game thats on a DVD disk ? The first game had problems with the actuall disk's. i cant even play it anymore
    Download content, thats how they patch MP and gameplay faults
    but if your not online your screwed...

Xtreme Member
    Been playing the game nonstop, hella fun especially with other people. My brother and I play via systemlink and we talk on our headsets and its fun using tactical strategies to bring down the waves (Horde mode)... you cant really get this game for the single player, I myself get bored playing by myself so thats why its best to play it online or with friends/family.

comeon how can u not like these tanks? lol
    I also have the codes for the golden lancer and hammerburst
    [i7 4770K] [Z87 Gene VI] [8GB Sammy] [GTX780] [H80i] [AX850] [350D] [XL2720T]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UZ7 View Post
    Been playing the game nonstop, hella fun especially with other people. My brother and I play via systemlink and we talk on our headsets and its fun using tactical strategies to bring down the waves (Horde mode)... you cant really get this game for the single player, I myself get bored playing by myself so thats why its best to play it online or with friends/family.

comeon how can u not like these tanks? lol
    I also have the codes for the golden lancer and hammerburst
    I love the tanks, thats awsome!
    and I think your very much right, its a Co-Op/Multiplayer game only, its too buggy for single player, I played with a friend today and it really improved the game experience...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gazmtk View Post
    I love the tanks, thats awsome!
    and I think your very much right, its a Co-Op/Multiplayer game only, its too buggy for single player, I played with a friend today and it really improved the game experience...
    lol yeah, my brother and i were playing horde mode and im like shouting on the headset... "OH TTT BOOMERS on the left... watch out kantus on the right go go go" haha add that with the high volume and upped bass the fun factor goes up... i think im pretty satisfied with my purchase

[XG] Xtreme Gamer
    I was just playing it and didnt think it was that great. At least not the hype that it was getting.
    I am Xtreme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The game has been fantastic for me so far. No complaints at all.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have just finished the single player mode and loved every second. Apart from not being revived once and having issues fighting a giant fish and getting stuck to a bit of the boat once I haven't found any other problems at all. I'm going to go through it on insane now.

I did discover that sometimes if your team mates are under heavy fire they wont run out into the open and revive you because they will die, this is fair enough because I won't do it for them and I wouldn't do it if I was playing multi with someone.

I've had a massive amount of fun with the single player mode and whilst a lot of the attention with this title will be on the balls to the wall action (which is perfect, apart from the final boss is a little easy,) the story is also pretty damned good as well. There are parts where you will find yourself smiling at Cole's over the top behaviour, saddned by other events, and a tad freaked out. (dont'r eally want to go into specifics cos I don't really want to ruin it for anyone.)

The graphics are an improvement thanks to the now destructive environments and its also great to see so many locust on screen in certain sections. I can't help but feel like the 360's hardware is holding the game back though as once in the final stages I did incur slowdown and the textures at time can take an absoloute age to properly appear leaving some characters to look like massive smudges. (this happens with the original and Bioshock so I think the 360 just isn't very good at handling the Unreal engine.)

Still this is the best game I have played so far this year and I can't wait for GOW3 now

Great game as long you as you play it coop. AI wasn't too bad imo. Story not great but on par. Good cut scenes. Gameplay switched up enough to avoid becoming redundant. I didn't read much of the hype so I was just expecting a decent game. This made farcry 2 and assassin's creed seem like garbage.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I understand what you are saying about games that take around 40 hours to complete. They can be a huge amount of fun and are great at immersing you in a realistic world.

But I am glad there are games like Gears that are shorter and more action orientated. Sometimes I don't want to explore, talk to characters I just want to blow stuff up and run around shooting stuff and I get a great sense of acheivement form beating a game like Gears on its hardest difficulty setting and don't mind going through it a second or third time increasing the play life. I'm sure I'll also get a decent amount of fun out of the multiplayer once I get round to getting a live account again.

Fallout 3 and GOW2 are completely different styles of games and its a bit unfair to say 'all games should be forty hours long,' becuase I don't think GOW2 would work if it was that long, especially as it is a very action orientated title with more emphasis on gun play than exploration. I think Gears did a decent job with the narrative considering the play time and style of gameplay. And whilst the plot in retrospect seems bit muddled because there were quite a few different strands going on, seeing cole re-appear, finding Karmine, discovering Maria and the questions raised about papa fenix pressed all the right buttons and certainly helped to make me feel like I was immersed in the Universe of Gears. Whilst I applaud the guys over at Bethsheda for their ability to create complex worlds and weave long tales I think that they would be hard pressed to create the immersive backdrop for the nonstop action in GOW2 that Epic managed.

I can't wait to play fallout 3, though I'm going to upgrade my monitor to a 27" one with decent resolution first.

That sucks you were having problems with the dirty disk error on GOW though and I would like to find out what is actually causing that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I thought it was my xbox360 scratching the disks or something, because all my games i noticed have a complete circle around them near the center where you put your finger, the original xbox games dont have that and neither do my Duel layer disks i use for writing on my PC i just turned the game in today for another copy at Gamestop. The guy told me i was the 4th person today that had the same problem with the game. He also said he remember the original game did it also he had alot of returns. I just looked at my new copy of gears and the disk also has that circle on the thing so i guess its normal for 360 games and there is nothing wrong with my xbox360 thank god. cuss it only does this on Gears 1 and 2 not my other games
    You come off like a serious fanboy that it simply looking to downplay the Gears of War franchise. The reviews have been outstanding, everyone is enjoying their copy of the game and I seriously doubt the technicial issues you speak of isn't directly related to YOUR 360.

Give the game back to the store and move on with your life, honestly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thats a shame about the discs.

Its more likely a problem with the disc manufacturer though than Epic. Though if Epic gave the contract to the cheapest company then they should shoulder some of the blame.

I am Xtreme
    if memory serves me correctly the only time you got the ring on your disks is if you played games with your 360 standing upright.
    which was said a LONG time ago you should never do because of the disk scratching.

there was also talk of some disk trays having a little piece of plastic sticking up that would scratch the disks when the disk was released from the spindle.
    i remember back in the ps2 and dreamcast days the trick was to take a couple of small pieces of felt and sticky tape them to the tray and that would allow the disk to land softly in the tray and not get scratched.

and GoW 2 is a beautiful game but its the same game as the first one simply with different environments.
    i was never a big fan of the first one simply becuase the guns are a "spray and pray" style gun. meaning there is no finite aiming just point the gun towards the person and pull the trigger and about 1 out of 5 bullets hit the creature or person.

i realize its a total arcade run-n-gun but to make all the guns just spray bullets everywhere was/is rather rediculous.
    Last edited by Lestat; 11-11-2008 at 08:45 AM.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

I am Xtreme
    The ring wasnt caused by the xbox, i returned the game and got another copy opened in the store and it had the same ring, so its normal for 360 disks then
    no its not normal, not even close, and please dont think it is.

and i recall what the issue was before I THINK,, it wasnt the tray scratching them it was the case the game came in that was scratching them. again i think. i remember several reported cases of scratched disks both GoW 1 and other games.

i have owned butt laods of games for the 360 and never once gotten a scratched one either out of the box or from my disk tray.

but yes it has and is happening that is an undeniable fact.
    and stores should replace them then send the back disks off to MS for credit or replacements for themselves.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You will spend a lot of time firing over your head from behind cover, this is mainly to stop the locust from rushing or flanking you though. And this is one of the main tactics of modern warfare. put the enemy under heavy fire and then call in air support to blow them up. Its a huge amount of fun to have one person stopping the grubs from advancing with lancer fire whilst another person puts down some well aimed mortar fire. This makes the game feel a lot more chaotic and like there is a massive battle going on around you.

It is still possible to use accuracy to you'r advantage as well. There was one moment where all I had was ammo for the pistol, so a few well placed shots into the grub with the flamethrowers backpack causing him to explode and take his team mate saved me from having to run out under fire and pick up ammunition.

The sniper rifle and bow also reward precision shooting. There is a huge emphasis on many different varieties of gun play in GOW2 thanks to the different weapons (some new, some old but there is a lot more emphasis on having to use the chainsaw now to complete puzzles, even if they are a bit arbitrary the aesthetics sometimes are glorious.)

Xtreme Member
    Hahah horde wave 50 on insane is crazzzyy, literally i think they have 100% accuracy.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yea linchpin, im 32 hours into Fallout 3 and this game is going to be game of year, its probly the best game i have everp layed in my life. Im not even 20% done with it either i have like 60% of the map to explore still lol. All the sides quests i get caught up with i just skipped the main story all together.

As for buggy gears of war, how do you patch game thats on a DVD disk ? The first game had problems with the actuall disk's. i cant even play it anymore

You say how buggy gears is yet you don't mention the fact that it doesn't get any buggier than fallout 3 itself...

Anybody want to get a Horde game going? let me know, my GT is WarboyX.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Guys to fix the dirty disk problem just install the game onto your harddrive.
    Just a guess but it should stop it.

Gears has been great for me
    Anyone wanna play horde hit me up. Username:Windowshopa

GOW2 rocks, I just beat the whole game with a friend in Insane mode!!! First we went through the game in Casual mode and once we beat it it give you the option to play in insane mode. Well it is no walk in the park, insane mode is HARD!!!!! But after 2 weeks we finally passed it. We are linking up 2 xboxes with 2 42 inch screens, so co-op is much better than split screen....

Cheers

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
    GOW2 rocks, I just beat the whole game with a friend in Insane mode!!! First we went through the game in Casual mode and once we beat it it give you the option to play in insane mode. Well it is no walk in the park, insane mode is HARD!!!!! But after 2 weeks we finally passed it. We are linking up 2 xboxes with 2 42 inch screens, so co-op is much better than split screen....

Cheers
    nice yeah played it on a 42" and a 52" and graphics were superb, my bro and i beat it second day we got it on hardcore then we played it again on insane and beat it in less than 8 hours, after your first run through its pretty much easy the next time.. except it takes 2 shots to kill you lol and they have higher accuracy but its all fun, you should try multiplayer now its hella fun and they just released (today) the combustible map pack which includes older maps from gears of war 1 that were fun to play at

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast