Thread: The Governator unveils the worlds most powerful laser

Xtreme X.I.P.

The Governator unveils the worlds most powerful laser

http://vr-zone.com/forums/438396/wor...ornia-lab.html

LIVERMORE, Calif. (AP) � The world's most powerful laser, created to help keep tabs on the nation's nuclear weapons stockpile while also studying the heavens, has been unveiled.

The super laser, known officially as the National Ignition Facility, was unveiled Friday at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory about 50 miles east of San Francisco.

The NIF, which is the size of a football field, consists of 192 separate laser beams, each traveling 1,000 feet in one-thousandth of a second to converge simultaneously on a target the size of a pencil eraser.
    sis veel be pat of skoi-nit in twantee yiars

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    sis veel be pat of skoi-nit in twantee yiars
    So pretty much Arnold will take over the world with he's big gun in time for launch of "Terminator: Salvation" ?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme X.I.P.
    its out already
    not bad btw, nice action movie, the story is weird, especially in the end... but nice movie

Xtreme Member
    each traveling 1,000 feet in one-thousandth of a second
    If you don't know that light travels at the speed of light then life is too good for you.

Xtreme Mentor
    This keeping tabs on our nuclear stock pile and researching greener energy sources is 10 pounds of bull in a 5 pound bag. This is a missile defense system.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You hear this a lot with new lasers, but how exactly do they keep tabs on nuclear stockpiles (genuine question)?

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng

Popcorn!
    Less is more.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It was my understanding that this project was intended to move us closer to an economically viable form of fusion... its not meant to shoot down nukes...
    i7-2600K @ 4806Mhz 102.3x47 1.368v LinX stable
    MSI P67 GD-80
    16Gb Corsair 8-8-8-24 1T 818.2Mhz
    MSI GTX560Ti 1005/2250 1.062v
    Crucial m4 256Gb SSD
    Corsair TX850 | 64bit WIN7 Pro
    Custom watercooling
    47" 1080p LCD | Onkyo 876/ Polk 5.1 surround

Xtreme Member
    the facility is meant for fusion, they are fusing trition and deuterium

Xeon x3220 g0 3.2ghz @1.2v Cooled by TRUE120
    Cruching 24/7

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    It was my understanding that this project was intended to move us closer to an economically viable form of fusion... its not meant to shoot down nukes...
    Its ment for viable fusion to make a laser thats powerful enough to shoot down nukes using energy created by it.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogeta View Post

Popcorn!
    Awesome movie.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Member
    Look at where it is being developed. A national weapons laboratory. As with most things invented for war, it will have a "secondary", yet much greater use in peacetime endeavors. There is a long history of military development spurring innovation that changes the private sector. (computers, fiber optics, nuclear energy just to name a few)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    If you don't know that light travels at the speed of light then life is too good for you.
    This is America...people are still amazed by the simple trick of taking a rifle and two walkie-talkies and hearing the rifle shoot first thru the walkie-talkie... expecting them to even roughly guess at the speed of...wait a minute...I was about to defend stupidity....

on second thought, QFT

Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    This keeping tabs on our nuclear stock pile and researching greener energy sources is 10 pounds of bull in a 5 pound bag. This is a missile defense system.
    Yes. Star Wars as promised by Reagan. They never really stopped dumping money into it.

Yes and no. See comment below for more.

Quote Originally Posted by MirageSys View Post
    Look at where it is being developed. A national weapons laboratory. As with most things invented for war, it will have a "secondary", yet much greater use in peacetime endeavors. There is a long history of military development spurring innovation that changes the private sector. (computers, fiber optics, nuclear energy just to name a few)
    In other words that's how they sell it to us to fund their cool new weapon toys. Afterwards they let some of the tech trickle down to us common folk.

Xtreme Member
    Yes... they are designing a laser system that can surround an ICBM in mid air with a football field and shoot it down by punching an eraser sized hole in the missile... sounds like a great plan. Learn something about inertial confinement fusion reactors before you go spouting off nonsense

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by RazzleUltra View Post
    You hear this a lot with new lasers, but how exactly do they keep tabs on nuclear stockpiles (genuine question)?
    I don't know, but light can generate pressure. Since you detonate a nuke by first compressing it to critical mass, they might be able to simulate a detonation with the laser.

It would be nice to know how many jigga-watts it is and if it has a game interface.

Xtreme Addict
    no the lazer is to burn the guys eyes out that hits the red botton...err sry i had to.