Page 15 of 220 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617182565115 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
    5 days later......
    Well, then we know that it needs idling.

--

58.58TB Host writes
    MWI 67

No other changes except for running from a Sandy Bridge rig since last night, speed looks better but that was also the case the first few hours on the AMD system.
    -
    Hardware:

SLC
    78tb. 60%.

Xtreme Member
    Good to know that we are getting closer and closer to the "moment" when the MWI reaches 0 !

Xtreme X.I.P.
    59.55TB Host writes
    MWI 67
    Reallocations remains at 5. (unchanged)

(updated chart in post #1)

@One_Hertz
    78TB written, thats > 2x the advertised "endurance"
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Mentor
    I left the endurance app running for about 6 hours today. Write speeds remained around 6MB/s, which comes out to ~ 500GB of data per day.

I was tempted to leave it running to see if the write speeds would get even slower, but at 6MB's the reponse times made the app unresponsive.

Right now my internet speed (50 Mbps) is as fast as my SSD (6MB/s).

Xtreme X.I.P.
    One could certainly ask whether 6MB/s is throttled state or if there is something else going on.
    6MB/s is on par with a slow USB stick.

Congrats with your new Internet speed
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    One could certainly ask whether 6MB/s is throttled state or if there is something else going on.
    6MB/s is on par with a slow USB stick.

Congrats with your new Internet speed
    What else could be going on apart from throttling The drive was able to maintain speeds before the throttling started so it can't be degradation. Even a SE does not help.

What I do notice however is that after a small amount of idle time the throttling is reduced, so if you write a small file performance goes back up, but if you start writting a larger sized file it slows down again.

I might experiment after a few days idle to see how much you can write before performance drops.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderOCZ View Post
    Did you shutdown the drive after the SE?

Yes, toolbox just issues the ATA secure erase command, which is the same as hdderase.
    Ryder I have noticed something strange. When I run a SE from the Toolbox it states it has completed when finished, however I can still access files on the drive. It is only after I reboot that the drive appears as an un-partitioned space with no data on it.

Does the SE command somehow delay itself until re-boot?

I've noticed in Tony's troubleshooting guide that he states a SE has to be done via Linux in IDE mode. I assume he is referring to a hdderase.

Why use hdderease if it is the same as the toolbox SE process?

Xtreme Guru
    i personally use the stand alone version of SE, with the comp set in IDE mode. works perfect. i have never used the toolbox. but i have SE probably a million times with the standalone app
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Banned
    I left the endurance app running for about 6 hours today. Write speeds remained around 6MB/s, which comes out to ~ 500GB of data per day.
    If we do an extremely simplistic lifetime endurance computation (ignoring WA, WL, etc.) and assume 5000 P/E cycles for the flash, then a 40GB SSD should have a lifetime write capability of about 200TB. Over 3 years, that comes to about 183GB per day.

So that is within a factor of 3 of the throttled write speed. I wouldn't expect exact agreement since the lifetime write capacity estimate was so crude.

Xtreme Mentor
    I read in the news section that all drives are set to 5 years.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    i personally use the stand alone version of SE, with the comp set in IDE mode. works perfect. i have never used the toolbox. but i have SE probably a million times with the standalone app
    When you run a SE from the toolbox can you still see the files before you re-boot? Did performance go back to a fresh state? I just want to be sure that the drive was in fact SE.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I more or less always run SE on GB MB's and thats due to issues I've had while HDDerasing on Asus MBs

When cleaning drives using the OCZ Toolbox they are always cleaned immediately, meaning I don't have to reboot.
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Mentor
    Bizarre. l can navigate file structures, and some of the files will execute. Others won't. Once re-booted the drive has to be reinitialised and all data is gone.

Dang, now I'm going have to swap it over to a non ASUS board to run hdderease to see if that clears the throttling. (Would be really nice if it did )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	993 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	114921  

Xtreme Guru
    When you run a SE from the toolbox can you still see the files before you re-boot? Did performance go back to a fresh state? I just want to be sure that the drive was in fact SE.
    oh no. drive is dead effective immediately. i would highly reccomend using the stand alone utility. i think it is available for DL still, if not let me know. i have a copy. several actually, even the original which was password protected.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

SSD faster than your HDD
    What version of Toolbox are you using? 2.35 and 2.36 should send a reset to the drive (if you are in AHCI mode, which you have to be) and after a short period it should appear blank and need to be initialized in disk management, etc.

Immediately after the SE, yes it may still show data.

I definitely recommend a reboot though after SE or SE in Linux.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hi Ryder,

I'm using 2.36. It seems that the reset function does not work. Maybe it is a quirk on Asus boards as I can't run a SE with hdderease (although I can with Intel drives).

Anyway, I've swapped the drive over to another system to run hdderease and it didn't clear the throttling, so I guess the toolbox SE was working.

Any chance of shedding some more light on how throttling works?

• Are the drives set to a 3 or 5 year life?
    • How much can you write per day before duraclass kicks in?
    • Once duraclass kicks in does it remain active for the rest of the drives life?
    • Why are read speeds affected?

Thanks in advance.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    61.3TB Host writes
    MWI 66
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Addict
    Too add to DuraClass questions:
    - Can it be disabled at our risk?
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

SLC
    81tb. 58%.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaunits View Post
    Too add to DuraClass questions:
    - Can it be disabled at our risk?
    Coming soon: Mushkin Chronos - SandForce SF-2281 SSD processor with unthrottled IOPS firmware

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Someone really needs to offer the SF controller without throttling and if Muskin will offer one I'm ready to order

Lets just hope it's unthrottled *and* IOPS firmware and not just "unthrottled IOPS".

updated chart
    TBW 62.15TB, MWI 65.

I'm going to take a small 5-10 minute break every 24h as it leads to more TBW per day, 3-500GB per day.
    During that break I'll be running TRIM from the SSD Toolbox.
    -
    Hardware:

I am Xtreme
    Coming soon: Mushkin Chronos - SandForce SF-2281 SSD processor with unthrottled IOPS firmware
    90K IOPS @ 4K for a 120GB drive, madness! If it's not bugged or malfunctioning in some way it'll be the drive to get!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    Lets just hope it's unthrottled *and* IOPS firmware and not just "unthrottled IOPS".
    When I read the Mushkin blurb about "unthrottled IOPS", my first interpretation was that they meant that the IOPS (i.e., 4KB high QD performance) is not throttled. I doubt they mean that they have disabled the lifetime throttle for write speed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    90K IOPS @ 4K for a 120GB drive, madness! If it's not bugged or malfunctioning in some way it'll be the drive to get!
    4KB * 90,000 = 360 MB/s

Since the fastest sequential write speed I've seen for a 120GB Sandforce drive for incompressible data is just over 200 MB/s, I doubt the Mushkin can achieve 90,000 IOPS unless you feed it highly compressible data.

Page 15 of 220 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617182565115 ... LastLast