Thread: Hard acrylic tubing

Xtreme Addict

Hard acrylic tubing

I noticed that most of the watercooling shops sell tubing of a maximum diameter normally 16/13mm. I was wondering if it's possible to use wider tubing as found here I bought some 19/16mm monsoon fittings and primochill flexible tubing but I actually fancy trying some acrylic tubing too.
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fittings for flexible tube and hard tube are not the same so while you can use fatter tube, you need to find compatible fittings for it too! Are you just wanting a fatter look?

Xtreme Addict
    Truth be known I'm not sure what I want. I bought all the fittings for a conventional loop then I saw the acrylic loops and was overcome with desire. I guess I 'd better watch some more videos re acrylic tubing and order another set of fittings. Any advice you can offer though would be gratefully accepted. Thanks Stren.
    Respec'

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well I'm just getting into hardlining myself so I'm not an expert - I went with the monsoons because they seem to be the most secure, and the kit makes it look really easy to make it look pro. I'll let you know how it goes, I'm watching the video guides Gene did and I should be attempting my first bends tomorrow most likely!

I am Xtreme
    Only order PETG-based tubing. McMasters carries it, Primochill switched to it, and I think I heard Monsoon will be as well. I have many Rigid projects under my belt (10 maybe). Primochill makes a great bending tool, the Monsoon mandrels are awesome as well. You can make your own bending jig if you are so inclined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdCriHLND2Y
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks DarthBeavis , You make it look easy, funnily enough I commented on that video not too long ago I'm in the UK.
    Respec'

I am Xtreme
    If you order Monsoon stuff, their sturdy product is PMMA I guess - just make sure you stay away from brittle acrylic. I have only used the Primo and McMasters stuff
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

I am Xtreme
    Acrylic isn't exactly brittle. I've done 4 loops w/ it and haven't had issues w/ cracking. PETG is a pourous tubing and there is a good chance it will yellow and leach over time. IMHO there is no reason to not use acrylic.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Acrylic isn't exactly brittle. I've done 4 loops w/ it and haven't had issues w/ cracking. PETG is a pourous tubing and there is a good chance it will yellow and leach over time. IMHO there is no reason to not use acrylic.
    There is a good chance it will yellow. Lee Harrington has samples he left outside for months in CA and no yellowing. There has been many reports of acrylic breaking - it is brittle.

I have more Rigid builds under my belt than do you

Video of PETG vs acrylic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxWOjGzFvQ

I am Xtreme
    Primochill PETG now available in colors: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ort=20a&page=2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    There is a good chance it will yellow. Lee Harrington has samples he left outside for months in CA and no yellowing. There has been many reports of acrylic breaking - it is brittle.

I have more Rigid builds under my belt than do you

Video of PETG vs acrylic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxWOjGzFvQ

Have you tested if they start deforming ( crackling, breaking) when in contact with alcohol ?

Thank you

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_w View Post
    Have you tested if they start deforming ( crackling, breaking) when in contact with alcohol ?

Thank you
    No, why would I test with alcohol? I have not tested with LN2 either, or ketchup, or Jagermeister

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lol, you are correct about that...i guess some people have increased protectiveness/cleanliness instincts ( i don't know how else to name them ) and seem to use such products on the internals of their pc's...

I came up with that question with the above in mind, of some incidents with acrylic reservoirs having failed after their owners tried to clean with "harmless" rubbing alcohol...or having touched the res with alcohol damped cloth for cleaning the thermal paste...

unfortunately for them, some grades of acrylic used is highly reactive with alcohol, so they ended up with many small bling acrylic pieces...

I am Xtreme
    Lol, you are correct about that...i guess some people have increased protectiveness/cleanliness instincts ( i don't know how else to name them ) and seem to use such products on the internals of their pc's...

I came up with that question with the above in mind, of some incidents with acrylic reservoirs having failed after their owners tried to clean with "harmless" rubbing alcohol...or having touched the res with alcohol damped cloth for cleaning the thermal paste...

unfortunately for them, some grades of acrylic used is highly reactive with alcohol, so they ended up with many small bling acrylic pieces...
    The one thing my friends at Danger Den taught me is that combining alcohol with acrylic is a fool's game.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll second that....just out of curiosity though, if you have any spare non-usable parts, i would like to see what the result would be...that is of course if your have time and you agree...

So far i haven't used rigid tubing but i must confess that i am jealous of all the systems i see using them....so clean look...

I am Xtreme
    I'll second that....just out of curiosity though, if you have any spare non-usable parts, i would like to see what the result would be...that is of course if your have time and you agree...

So far i haven't used rigid tubing but i must confess that i am jealous of all the systems i see using them....so clean look...
    will do this week send me list of what you want it soaked in

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    will do this week send me list of what you want it soaked in

...just rubbing alcohol...Thank you!!!

Looking forward to see more of your rigid tubing builds!!!Loved this one and your Makers Faire wall mount!!!

I am Xtreme

...just rubbing alcohol...Thank you!!!

Looking forward to see more of your rigid tubing builds!!!Loved this one and your Makers Faire wall mount!!!
    Thanks!

Here is my list thus far (doing another next week):
    Queen of Blades
    NVIDIA wet bench
    gigabyte wet bench
    Charity Pc
    Wall PC
    Aquarium pc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kW2XQNqLfc
    VIP table https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOcIZr0FkxU#t=887
    Monster Energy PC (not released to public yet - they will give it away)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nice! Been watching your stuff for years, awesome to see you guys doing so well.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~