Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: [How to] fund your cruncher's utility bill OR how to make money using bitcoin

Xtreme Member
    I finally got my 5850 running. But it looks slow to me. Just 175-180 MHash/s.

How can I check what OpenCL I'm using? I'm usning the 10.10 driver from ATI, as that is the only one that I could get working. Any older driver gives me a message that I don't have an OpenCL device installed.

give it some time. My 4870 started off between 40-60 MHash/s but it worked its way up to 80-90 after a bit.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom128 View Post
    I'm getting rather frustrated trying to actually get money from this process. I have gotten a few coins, sold them, gotten the money on MtGox, and then tried to send it over to Dwolla. I sent $17 that has not shown up in nearly 48 hours. I sent two $1 tests yesterday and those did show up, with an hour or so, then I tried to send $10 and that won't show up. I don't know if it's MtGox or Dwolla, but it's weird that the two $1 show up and the bigger transfers seem to have gone off into oblivion (or possibly one of their pockets).
    this has me a little worried. hopefully someone can shed some light

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    I finally got my 5850 running. But it looks slow to me. Just 175-180 MHash/s.

How can I check what OpenCL I'm using? I'm usning the 10.10 driver from ATI, as that is the only one that I could get working. Any older driver gives me a message that I don't have an OpenCL device installed.
    my 5830 didn't have any "warm up" time, been a constant 260 m/h pretty much from the start.

Amd's drivers are up to 11.5 now. Assuming you have win7 64-bit here is the DL page:
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    my 5830 didn't have any "warm up" time, been a constant 260 m/h pretty much from the start.

Amd's drivers are up to 11.5 now. Assuming you have win7 64-bit here is the DL page:
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx
    I wanted the older drivers because of this:
    With HD5xxx cards, performance is supposed to be best with the older 2.1 SDK (I can confirm this). For HD6xxx, use the current 2.4 SDK because 2.1 won't work with them.

Fanboy of Good Products
    I wanted the older drivers because of this:
    With HD5xxx cards, performance is supposed to be best with the older 2.1 SDK (I can confirm this). For HD6xxx, use the current 2.4 SDK because 2.1 won't work with them.
    Makes sense but if it's not working (which there are reports of) then just getting the newest drivers and SDK would be a much cleaner and faster approach and it isn't all that much slower

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How can I check what OpenCL I'm using?
    If you use the ATI Catalyst Control Manager (in add/remove programs) it will list all of the installed ATI software, so you can see which SDK(s) you have. The driver you have is not the biggest issue, they just happen to come packaged with one of the two SDKs.

You can also just download the 2.1 SDK and install it to be sure, both can co-exist on the same system. The only difference is you will need to add a flag to the GUIMiner for which platform to use (--platform 0). My HTPC has both 2.1 and 2.4 and has no problems.

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Fanboy of Good Products
    so how do i consolidate my bitcoin wallet between computers? I just installed it to my laptop so i can manage it on campus but how do i get the 1.4 bitcoins i already had paid out (but not sold) from BTCguild?

T400 for non-crunching

Devil kept pokin'
    so how do i consolidate my bitcoin wallet between computers? I just installed it to my laptop so i can manage it on campus but how do i get the 1.4 bitcoins i already had paid out (but not sold) from BTCguild?
    copy your wallet.dat file that contains your balance and replace your laptops with it.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    BTCGuild should have a "pay out" button on their website. You enter your wallet ID into their website and they'll transfer the BTC to your wallet. Then you can transfer from your wallet to the exchange of your choice.

edit: ahh. you already paid out to several wallets? In that case then just consolidate the wallet ID. There should be an "edit IDs" option somewhere in the app or at least there is on the OS X implementation I'm using.

Fanboy of Good Products
    OK so i have to wait until i get home. Will a windows wallet.dat file work in os x?

T400 for non-crunching

Devil kept pokin'
    OK so i have to wait until i get home. Will a windows wallet.dat file work in os x?
    No habla es Mac

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    No habla es Mac
    Crap lol!

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Cruncher
    OK so i have to wait until i get home.
    you login to the pool using the same UN and PW as the ones you set up for your first machine.
    Then all BTC will end up in the same wallet.
    I have 2 machines mining, but only 1 wallet.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am doing it other way (works fine with bitmarket.eu). I do not use bitcoin app (wallet) at all:

When coins are ready (1 coin every ~39h with single 5870) on my pool's website (deepbit) i transfer it directly to my account on bitmarket.eu. After 30 minutes or so it appears there (NO FEES!) and then I can put it on sale. I have Paypal only as an option, so I am not limited almost at all (within EU).
    BitMarket's FAQ says that buyers should pay fees (bank transfer, paypal etc.), so I added a note to buyers how to calculate amount to be transferred to my paypal account (X+X*0.034+0.35, means 3.4%+€0.35 - this is how paypal does fees) if they are not allowed to send it as a gift (fee-free).

3 coins sold, no problems whatsoever.
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Xtreme Cruncher
    The transfer from Mtgox to dwolla takes time, 3-4 business days in most cases in my experience.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Deux View Post
    The transfer from Mtgox to dwolla takes time, 3-4 business days in most cases in my experience.
    really?? my first transfer was almost immediate. I will have to wait and see how the second one goes.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptainBlaZzed View Post
    really?? my first transfer was almost immediate. I will have to wait and see how the second one goes.
    Dunno, that's what I was told on the phone and has been pretty much my experience with my first three transactions. Might be related to size of the transfer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The system may prioritize smaller transactions first because more of them can be moved with less money in their fund. That's my theory anyways, to explain why my two $1 transfers went through fast and the other two are still pending (not that $17 and $10 are big in themselves).

I did read in the bitcoin forums about it, and I feel a little less worried. It is common right now but they are still going through, just 3-5 days later. It seems like MtGox is basically one guy (Mark in Japan) and he does alot of the communications manually as CSV files are updated between entities. The recent jump in popularity, perhaps thanks to our own jcool here has him kind of swamped and he can't even answer emails about transactions. He is supposedly getting staff members now to help him, since I assume he can afford it with the surge of trades.

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Xtreme Member
    Careful when messing with your wallet, or you could lose like this guy:
    http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11104.0

Well, he lost 7208 BTC which is a cool 138,754 USD at current rates, so not QUITE as big
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

Xtreme Legend
    First time amd user help required...

Added card loaded driver ...all OK

Downloaded overdrive and it bsods on start even after re-installing a few times so what do you guys use or what is the trick?

There is more but for now....

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Quote Originally Posted by artemm View Post
    Careful when messing with your wallet, or you could lose like this guy:
    http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11104.0

Well, he lost 7208 BTC which is a cool 138,754 USD at current rates, so not QUITE as big
    omg... i would cry so hard if that happened....
    Try my multi-threaded prime benchmark!
    If you like it and want to see more - bitcoin me!!
    1MrPonziaM4QT2S7SdPEKQH88BGa4LRHJU
    1HaxXoRZhMLxMJwJ52VfAqanSuLuh8CCki
    1ZomGoxrBqyVdBvHwPLEERsGGQAtc3jHp
    1L33thAxKo1GqRWRYP5ZCK4EjTMUTHFsc8

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    First time amd user help required...

Added card loaded driver ...all OK

Downloaded overdrive and it bsods on start even after re-installing a few times so what do you guys use or what is the trick?

There is more but for now....
    Don't use Overdrive, install MSI's Afterburner program

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Cruncher
    i just saw this thread earlier this morning, and skimmed through all the FAQ about bitcoin and mining, and here are my thoughts:

crunching and folding has always been a donation of your hardware and resources to help the research you believe in, in hopes of a cure being found one day. bitcoin mining is the exact opposite, there are no work units to crunch/fold, and the results are purely selfish because the money goes into your own pocket. though i do understand the intent of this thread to help offset the electricity costs and hardware, i doubt that most people will use this extra bit of money to put back into true non-profit DC projects. instead, this money will go into building up more miners, which in turn will generate more money for even more miners. many people from this XS subform will put back that money for more crunchers, but the rest of the miners could care less about DC projects because those projects don't give back instant cash gratifications. and also the idea of anonymous transactions that are not traceable doesn't really appeal to me. if you buy perfectly legal things, then what's there to hide? i see this as a big opportunity for money laundering and with that same thought, who knows what kind of activities you're supporting every time you sell a bitcoin? so i just don't really agree with this type of "DC" work, or the type of economy that it promotes. /rant
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Legend
    Thanks shoota... that is working.

Running bitminer and it seems to still be connecting after 10 minutes??? is that because of the BTC issues or is it me do you think?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Some people reported 10 minutes waiting period for a very first connection. If longer look at your network setting / firewall / etc. In my case reinstalling drivers/sdk helped.

And loosing 7200BTC... Just wow
    On the other hand, I would have 50 different instant backups of wallet.dat if i would "save" BTC instead of selling it immediately. Like few dropbox accounts, timemachine on mac and so on...
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast