Thread: Western Digital My Book VelociRaptor Duo Released

Xtreme Mentor

Western Digital My Book VelociRaptor Duo Released

WD has released an update to their popular My Book Duo line of external hard drives, this time instead of going for capacity, they're going for performance with a pair of 1TB WD VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM hard drives. The My Book VelociRaptor Duo is designed for creative professionals who want local access to SSD-type performance, without giving up capacity. In this case that means up to 400MB/s throughput over Thunderbolt, with Mac and PC compatibility. And should that not be fast enough, daisy-chaining VelociRaptor Duos together nets linear speed increases, 800MB/s for two and so on.

Like other Duo models, the pair of VelociRaptor drives are user serviceable, accessed via an easy to open panel on top of the unit. The drives can be configured in RAID0 for maximum performance, or RAID1 for data protection. The Duo also provides a JBOD option for users running a Windows operating system on a Mac. WD also includes a Thunderbolt cable and three year warranty with the unit....
    http://www.storagereview.com/western...r_duo_released

Updated: Western Digital My Book VelociRaptor Duo Review
    http://www.anandtech.com/print/6216
    Last edited by onethreehill; 08-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.

SLC
    Calling this "SSD-type performance" is incredibly misleading and borders on false advertising.

Xtreme Member
    Gotta agree on the mis-leading advertising.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4ghz
    EVGA 590 GTX x2 Quad SLI
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB PC3-12800C8
    Western Digital 150 GB Velociraptor
    Corsair AX1200
    Asus Xonar Xense
    Custom Watercooling
    Lian Li Pc-P80 Armoursuit

Xtreme Addict
    Do people really care about Random 4K performance on External Storage Enclosures? I don't really think its misleading. Reading/Writing Large files is about on par with mainstream SSDs. Brainless Daisy Chaining to double speed is a nice touch

Xtreme Addict
    But at $899 I feel sorry for buyers who are dumb enough to get this.

512GB SSDs have come down in price quite a bit and can be found on slickdeals often. Can probably get about 1.5TB of SSD space for the same price :o

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Miwo View Post

512GB SSDs have come down in price quite a bit and can be found on slickdeals often. Can probably get about 1.5TB of SSD space for the same price :o

Well, not quite. But close and way better performance:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227742
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Mentor
    Western Digital My Book VelociRaptor Duo Review
    http://www.anandtech.com/print/6216

Xtreme Addict
    SSD like performance is flat out impossible to achieve with traditional style harddisks.

Plus the price of this is very deep into Nas territory and a Nas will offer far better functionality.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do people really care about Random 4K performance on External Storage Enclosures? I don't really think its misleading. Reading/Writing Large files is about on par with mainstream SSDs. Brainless Daisy Chaining to double speed is a nice touch
    Agree 100%. A lot of what makes SSDs good doesn't really matter for an external drive. Sure they are still faster, but you are paying extra for performance that you're not really going to use. I don't see what the fuss is. SSDs are not the be-all-end-all in drives for every situation. I'm not going to hold that against them.

As for the price, thunderbolt is spiking the price up. Just about anything thunderbolt carries an absurd price point right now, and I don't see that changing in the near future.

Plus the price of this is very deep into Nas territory and a Nas will offer far better functionality.
    You're looking at it wrong. The price of this is firmly in thunderbolt territory. The amount of storage you get is less than most thunderbolt devices because those are running 7200 rpm drives, not raptors.

This isn't for the type of person that has a large home network with a NAS. It's for the type of person that uses a laptop and when at home has a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and external storage for it. The fastest interface you're going to get is thunderbolt. I'm fairly sure this device will clobber the competing alternatives that all rely on 7200 rpm drives.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

I am Xtreme
    2 fast HDDs in raid 0 for 900$, i dont get it either.
    max speed is also only going to apply to certain areas of spinning drives too. average speed is probably 25% lower

the Promise Pegasus R6 12TB in the anand review was a little more than twice the price, but you get 6x the space, 2x the speed, and raid5 instead of raid0. if your data is worth it to you, thats what you would get. raid0 is NOT what people should be getting for backups.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Well, not quite. But close and way better performance:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227742
    Not really an external HDD... =/

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    2 fast HDDs in raid 0 for 900$, i dont get it either.
    max speed is also only going to apply to certain areas of spinning drives too. average speed is probably 25% lower

the Promise Pegasus R6 12TB in the anand review was a little more than twice the price, but you get 6x the space, 2x the speed, and raid5 instead of raid0. if your data is worth it to you, thats what you would get. raid0 is NOT what people should be getting for backups.
    The price is inline with WDs other thunderbolt devices. If you look at the others they have and subtract the cost of the drives and add in the cost of raptors (which cost more) the sticker price is fine. I agree that RAID0ing your backups is stupid though.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    The price is inline with WDs other thunderbolt devices. If you look at the others they have and subtract the cost of the drives and add in the cost of raptors (which cost more) the sticker price is fine. I agree that RAID0ing your backups is stupid though.
    2x 1TB Raptors costs 520$ at newegg atm, so they are charging 379$ for a connector, a bit of plastic and a fan.