Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Pro + Velociraptor = stuck on boot??

Xtreme Member

Mac Pro + Velociraptor = stuck on boot??

So got my hands on a 8 core mac pro with 1tb drive, I have a spare velociraptor and want to use it as boot, but everytime I try to boot off the osx disc it gets stuck at the apple logo. If I put the 1tb drive back in and hold down control on boot then it will go back to the pre loaded os, i installed the os on the vraptor and once it restarts its stuck at the logo.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm new to mac but, got this for free so figured why not mess with it.
    i7 940/Rampage 2 Extreme/Corsair 6g Dominator/Corsair HX100W/GTX 580/SSD

Xtreme Member
    45 views and no one has any suggestions? The velociraptor is set to bootable and has active partition so either the mac pro sucks or something else is up with this thing. I tried to boot from snow leopard disc and it doesn't even boot.

I am Xtreme
    You are using GPT partitioning on the Vraptor?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    You are using GPT partitioning on the Vraptor?
    Umm not sure, used disk utilities and erased the disk with that with mac extended and journal. I tried to boot with command s and it starts to load the library and then it's stuck, so maybe this thing needs the original discs that it came with for a fresh install?

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyRICE View Post
    45 views and no one has any suggestions? The velociraptor is set to bootable and has active partition so either the mac pro sucks or something else is up with this thing. I tried to boot from snow leopard disc and it doesn't even boot.
    Not many people look at this part of the thread am afraid, anyway which Mac Pro are you using? also try using the Original SL disc or burn a copy of Lion... BUT make sure both HDDs are connected its should boot using the Disc fine if not it might be a controller problem if you are using the infamous Nvidia chipsets... good luck.
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidkozat View Post
    Not many people look at this part of the thread am afraid, anyway which Mac Pro are you using? also try using the Original SL disc or burn a copy of Lion... BUT make sure both HDDs are connected its should boot using the Disc fine if not it might be a controller problem if you are using the infamous Nvidia chipsets... good luck.
    Yea, this section is pretty dead so I thought hey this would be great for some conversation and learning about a mac pro. It's a pretty new one with a radeon 5770 and 8 core xeon in it, have no idea what chipset it would be in it. Only probably is i don't have the original discs except for snow leopard 10.6 retail. It's just weird how I can select the dvd and you see the apple logo and then it stops spinning.

Hackintosh Lover
    hmm Original disc? I would of thought it was just a simple Mac Os X disc like Leopard or Snow Leopard... have you tried loading the Dvd (Snow Leopard in Verbose?) that might help us to find out why is not loading the disc... does the disc works with 1 hard drive at a time? have you tried a different DVD reader?
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    hmm Original disc? I would of thought it was just a simple Mac Os X disc like Leopard or Snow Leopard... have you tried loading the Dvd (Snow Leopard in Verbose?) that might help us to find out why is not loading the disc... does the disc works with 1 hard drive at a time? have you tried a different DVD reader?
    Yes, the snow leopard disc is new retail disc that I got while back for a hackintosh build. I did google a bit and tried to do command S and it showed where it stopped, it was loading some files\library stuff and it would hang up after that. I tried with the working harddrive and it would do the samething, I have installed osx before so I know it don't take more than 10 minutes to get to the pre setup stuff.

The disk does work while in the os, and when I tried to install it while in the os onto the velociraptor and it would install and upon reboot nothing just hangs at the apple logo.

Maybe I should get a lion disc and try it?? I'll try a different dvd reader, tell you what this is one crash course at learning about mac stuff. Who would of thought it would be so finnicky.
    Last edited by StickyRICE; 04-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Hackintosh Lover

Smile Lion time?

Yeah I does sound like a media loading problem weather is the DVD or the reader I would suggest burning a copy of Lion if you need help burning one let me know but it defenetly sounds like the problem is the media not the hdds themselves let's see

Good luck

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I does sound like a media loading problem weather is the DVD or the reader I would suggest burning a copy of Lion if you need help burning one let me know but it defenetly sounds like the problem is the media not the hdds themselves let's see

Good luck
    Yea, I'll report back with what I find, what's the easy way to burn a copy of lion?

Hackintosh Lover
    Check my hackintosh link it also works with apple Pcs... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5063313

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    Check my hackintosh link it also works with apple Pcs... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5063313
    Hey, followed your directions on the lion install and worked perfect. Don't know why it had so much issues with the snow leopard disk.

Hackintosh Lover
    Did you managed to install it? On your Raptor HDD while both HDD connected, that's great, the DVD was probably damaged some how

How are you enjoying Lion then?

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    Did you managed to install it? On your Raptor HDD while both HDD connected, that's great, the DVD was probably damaged some how

How are you enjoying Lion then?
    Yea, I burned the image lastnight and got it installed on the raptor drive along with windows 7 on bootcamp. I didn't spend much time with snow leopard so I can't really tell what the big difference is. But so far it seems stable and smooth but since I'm new to a mac I don't really know what to do with this thing besides browsing the web lol. I did setup unison to download from the good ol usenet but other than that I'm trying to see what the big deal with mac pros are, but I'm barely scratching the surface so we'll have to see.

Thanks for your help though, just seem odd that either that retail disc was damaged or who knows what.

Hackintosh Lover
    Well you got an 8 core Mac Pro, So with a good GPU you could use it for Media or Graphic Design, most people buy them for Final Cut, Adobe Software and iLife...

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    Well you got an 8 core Mac Pro, So with a good GPU you could use it for Media or Graphic Design, most people buy them for Final Cut, Adobe Software and iLife...
    Hmm, yea maybe i need to start doing some of that lol, it's got a radeon 5770 in it.

Hackintosh Lover
    Well the 5770 is not a great card to be honest is very outdated but will do fine I suppose but yeah I would use does 8 Cores to do some encoding, compressing and brute forcing thats just me though...

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    Well the 5770 is not a great card to be honest is very outdated but will do fine I suppose but yeah I would use does 8 Cores to do some encoding, compressing and brute forcing thats just me though...
    Yea, I have a gtx580 in the other rig I wonder if it will work in here.

Oh, so running bootcamp with windows 7, is there no way to be able to drag and drop files into a storage harddrive that is formatted with osx? It has read permissions but I try to create a folder in it but it says no permissions.
    Last edited by StickyRICE; 04-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Hackintosh Lover
    it probably would i would install an app called champlist here use MacDrive? it allows you to access the OS X drive so you can drop files on it... But I never had a problem with Bootcamp it always let me add files to my Mac HDD from windows 7 when I had it on my MacBook...

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    it probably would i would install an app called champlist here use MacDrive? it allows you to access the OS X drive so you can drop files on it... But I never had a problem with Bootcamp it always let me add files to my Mac HDD from windows 7 when I had it on my MacBook...
    Hmm, interesting. I actually thought it did work like that, but then I reninstalled windows 7 64bit to see all the memory and then it didn't have write access anymore. I guess I could try to reformat the storage drive since there is nothing on it yet or try to redo my bootcamp install.

Hackintosh Lover
    I would suggest re-installing WIN + Bootcamp and updating it too, I can confirm that the 580 GTX has native support on Mac Pros on 1.7.3 so update away with the 580 on your mac as it will work !

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    I would suggest re-installing WIN + Bootcamp and updating it too, I can confirm that the 580 GTX has native support on Mac Pros on 1.7.3 so update away with the 580 on your mac as it will work !
    I reinstalled windows 7 lastnight with fresh bootcamp and still won't let me write the drive and reformatted the drive also. Kind of weird I'd say, I'd have to check to see if theres 8 pin power cables for the gtx in the mac pro, I don't think I'm ready to trasistion everything over to mac pro yet but we'll see if i can get the write to harddrive figured out.

Hackintosh Lover
    With eight core I would install win 7 for games and mac for edititing specially since the 580 would help encoding an rendering too, I suggest installing Tuxera for mac and Mac Drive for win you can find them in PB for free i would make a note of the PSU you got just in case is not Powerful enough even with the correct wires

Good luck!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    With eight core I would install win 7 for games and mac for edititing specially since the 580 would help encoding an rendering too, I suggest installing Tuxera for mac and Mac Drive for win you can find them in PB for free i would make a note of the PSU you got just in case is not Powerful enough even with the correct wires

Good luck!
    Yea, I'll have to play with that tonight see how it goes. I was never an apple fan but so far the mac seems pretty cool.

Hackintosh Lover
    I think people love to diss Apple because of their popularity and business image... But I have always been a fan of their Software and OS, most of the time ahead of anyone OS speacially back in the days, but I no longer like their Hardware... long are the day where their Hardware was epic, revolutionizing I/Os, most people don't know how BIG USB devices became thanks to Apple, or the quality of their Peripherals like Ethernet and Display Screens does day are over I think... Still I love Firewire and Thunderbolt... but ever since the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:cats OS, they haven't really created any mayor Hardware changes to be honest...

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast