Page 86 of 123 FirstFirst ... 36768384858687888996 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 3051

Thread: The Fermi Thread - Part 3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    well 90% of them are Nvidias TWIMBP titles. I'm hoping that there would be more titles that are a little bit more neutral.

I'm not saying people aren't playing far cry 2 at the moment, or crysis warhead, which they probably aren't, but it just looks a little odd having so many titles from nvidias PR dept in.
    yeah but most big PC titles are TWIMTBP anyway. to do a review, you don't pick "neutral" games, you pick popular titles that people are playing, because people don't care about how their cards perform on a "neutral" title, they care how they perform on a game they actually play.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    In case it's been pulled or no one can get onto Hexus, I've been fast and uploaded everything.

Many thanks!

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by pentium777 View Post
    150W extra so if I game at 100% GPU speed 24/7 for a month my electric bill will increase $4-$5..... So realistically I'm looking at 0.25-0.50 increase per month. I think I have this covered.
    i did the math a few pages back, its alot more than you think if your gaming 24/7. try 15$ a month

Xtreme Addict
    One more thing we can look at is that Fermi actually beats its old generation dual card upon launch. Something that the 5870 failed to do in regards to the 4870x2 and is why I considered it a lackluster card upon launch.

Although the 5870 is likely faster now(I am guessing here) than the 4870x2, if we are looking at a strictly performance perspective(not in power, which it is a huge failure), the gtx480 has the potential to look more attractive from a performance perspective in the future.

The 5970 might be a better performer, but like all cards it has dual card issues, e.g profiles, inconsistent performance, microstutter etc. Its one of the reason I want to move away from my current setup. If Fermi pickss up say 15% percent more performance with drivers, it will be in spitting distance of the 5970. Enough atleast that being a 100 dollars cheaper and being a single chip(although with 10-15 percent less performance) would make it the better buy.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    WiC, RES 5 and BAA are included in most of the reviews done before so I don't know why not in this one?

Which other games that are much more popular than the titles in that benchmark would you recommend, instead of just general bashing?
    cod battlefield bioshock 2 mass effect 2 dragon age assassins creed ... well there are tons of games around
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah but most big PC titles are TWIMTBP anyway. to do a review, you don't pick "neutral" games, you pick popular titles that people are playing, because people don't care about how their cards perform on a "neutral" title, they care how they perform on a game they actually play.

perhaps cod4:mw2, dow2, bc2, avp, bioshock 2, lfd2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    Why does it seem everyone is using the same benchmarks. We could at least see cod:mw2, dow2, team fortress 2 (and oldie). it just seems everyone is benching the same.

Good to see just cause 2, it seems a little different to other reviews so far.
    Totally agree. I'm looking forward to see JC2 results. I don't believe it has been benched yet. It has 3 built in benchmarks (desert, jungle/rain, city ) which I feel fairly represent different areas of the game ( for the record for those who have only played the demo, the content in the demo performs 2-3x better than some other zones in the game as the desert area is not demanding at all ) I'm a good 20 hours in to the game ( 25% completion ) and really have enjoyed it. I'll hazard a guess that the 480 will do quite well in it...
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Banned
    WiC, RES 5 and BAA are included in most of the reviews done before so I don't know why not in this one?

Which other games that are much more popular than the titles in that benchmark would you recommend, instead of just general bashing?
    I'd like to see Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed II, AvP, Metro2033 ( PhysX off or with the ATi PhysX hack ) and Shattered Horizon.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    Totally agree. I'm looking forward to see JC2 results. I don't believe it has been benched yet. It has 3 built in benchmarks (desert, jungle/rain, city ) which I feel fairly represent different areas of the game ( for the record for those who have only played the demo, the content in the demo performs 2-3x better than some other zones in the game as the desert area is not demanding at all ) I'm a good 20 hours in to the game ( 25% completion ) and really have enjoyed it. I'll hazard a guess that the 480 will do quite well in it...
    I think it will do good too, and I will say presumably because it's TWIMTBP. Still, it's nice to see something different.

however, having games in the current top 10s, big games (MW2) and different genres (dow2) would give a more varied and more neutral view.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    cod battlefield bioshock 2 mass effect 2 dragon age assassins creed ... well there are tons of games around
    MW2 and BC2 is in the list AFAIK, he just didn't write it there.

on the other hand none of the other games prove a challenge for either card, yes BAA or RE5 doesn't too, that's why the most important results should (still) be Crysis and Metro 2033, i.e. titles that current cards have problems on.

Also Just Cause 2 is challenging too as far as I know so it'll be important too. Yeah it's a nvidia title get over it

I'd like to see AvP too.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Cruncher
    ummm we wait over six monts for this ??? for fermi.....

hexus had this up, but brought it down

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=248255
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bangforbuck2.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	102487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fc2c.png 
Views:	633 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	102488  
    Last edited by skycrane; 03-26-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Its not overkill if it works.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    MW2 and BC2 is in the list AFAIK, he just didn't write it there.

on the other hand none of the other games prove a challenge for either card, yes BAA or RE5 doesn't too, that's why the most important results should (still) be Crysis and Metro 2033, i.e. titles that current cards have problems on.

Also Just Cause 2 is challenging too as far as I know so it'll be important too. Yeah it's a nvidia title get over it

I'd like to see AvP too.
    Having played through and beat Metro 2033, the game is just terrible optimized....It is supposed to be multi-core optimized according to the developers, but it gets the same FPS on 2 or 4 cores....
    HTPC - AMD Phenom II 555 Unlocked(4cores) - 4GB Gskill - AMD HD 5850 - Avermedia Duet - Harman Kardon avr247 - Surround Sound (Infinity Beta 50's, 10's, 360, and ed a2-300) - Samsung 46"

Desktop Powerhouse PC - Gathering dust due to high usage of HTPC as general pc now

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd like to see Shattered Horizon. A good looking game, and performs horribly.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 96redformula View Post
    Having played through and beat Metro 2033, the game is just terrible optimized....It is supposed to be multi-core optimized according to the developers, but it gets the same FPS on 2 or 4 cores....
    In fairness the majority of modern titles / engines are threaded to take advantage of multiple cores. The reality is however they don't tend to scale much if at all past 2 ( yes theres exceptions ) Try playing a healthy selection of newer games on a single core system ( or a multi core system with cores disabled ) and tell me they aren't threaded for multiple cores Technically by defintion multiple is merely more than 1 so they aren't lieing per say. It would be a strech to claim there are noticeable gains past 2 cores though... ( which I'm guessing was your point )
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvese View Post
    I'd like to see Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed II, AvP, Metro2033 ( PhysX off or with the ATi PhysX hack ) and Shattered Horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangekiwii View Post
    I'd like to see Shattered Horizon. A good looking game, and performs horribly.
    I'd love to see some Shattered Horizon benches. Unfortunately nobody benchmarks it (even though it's one of the few games that could actually take advantage of all this new hardware ) and not enough people play it (which I don't understand because it's one of the best games I have played, and I have been playing PC games since before the original Wolf3D).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gOJDO View Post
    Jen-Hsun Huang.
    lol, that makes sense. now i know why there was such a supply shortfall at 5800 series' launch: huang bought them all!

i'll wait for other reviews before i jump to a conclusion, but the hexus benchmarks indicate nothing overwhelming... ok'ish performance (the least you could expect from a 6 month difference) with ridiculous high power consumption.

it's a shame that nvidia's "fastest single gpu graphics card IN DA WORLD!!!" still sux big time in crysis and doesn't offer ANY performance increase at all.
    i'm more interested in bad company 2 performance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    I'd love to see some Shattered Horizon benches. Unfortunately nobody benchmarks it (even though it's one of the few games that could actually take advantage of all this new hardware ) and not enough people play it (which I don't understand because it's one of the best games I have played, and I have been playing PC games since before the original Wolf3D).
    why? just bench with 3dmark vantage. in the end, it's the same engine, isn't it?
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Member
    i think cat 10.3 is WHQL too. with luck, reviewers will use them tonight when NDA is up.
    PC-A04 | Z68MA-ED55 | 2500k | 2200+ XPG | 7970 | 180g 520 | 2x1t Black | X3 1000w

I'm just rather glad of the choices I've made Roll on the September release of the new ATI cards

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 96redformula View Post
    Well techincally 2 is multi-core.

Xtreme Member
    I don't trust in benchmarks done with beta or very immature drivers though....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    Well techincally 2 is multi-core.
    Found it for you

PCGH: By now multi-core CPUs have become very popular and the number of players with such machines is rapidly increasing. Did you integrate multi-core support into the engine from the beginning?

Oles Shishkovstov: Yes, the engine was architected to be multi-threaded from the start. That's the only sensible route to go. You just cannot add multi-threading later in the development cycle or it will be horribly sub-optimal.

PCGH: How many core are supported and what is the expected performance gain from 2, 4 or even 8 cores?

Oles Shishkovstov: We support at least two cores, and up to whatever count you have. You should expect linear scaling with the number of cores, when you aren't GPU limited.
    Some of the game looks great, while some of it is very MEH. When you play it the framerates are all over the place, sometimes happens when there doesn't seem to be alot going on GPU wise.
    HTPC - AMD Phenom II 555 Unlocked(4cores) - 4GB Gskill - AMD HD 5850 - Avermedia Duet - Harman Kardon avr247 - Surround Sound (Infinity Beta 50's, 10's, 360, and ed a2-300) - Samsung 46"

Desktop Powerhouse PC - Gathering dust due to high usage of HTPC as general pc now

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    why? just bench with 3dmark vantage. in the end, it's the same engine, isn't it?
    It is the same engine. But it isn't the same scenes, effects, etc. Are they directly comparable? Maybe, but we won't know until someone benches it and finds out.

Xtreme Addict
    I might as well repeat myself: per watt, ATI's architecture is more efficient.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Banned

Page 86 of 123 FirstFirst ... 36768384858687888996 ... LastLast