Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OCZ announces Vertex Turbo SSD series

OCZ announces Vertex Turbo SSD series

One has to wonder what will be real world performance improvement... Nevertheless, much kudos to OCZ for trying to make one of the best even better.

Also they increasing the warranty to 3 years - even for already purchased drives. Now, that's customer focus!!!

source:
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15629
    XEON W3520 - @4.2GHz
    DFI X58-T3EH8
    Patriot Viper 1600-8-8-8-24-1T 12GB
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2
    Asus Radeon 5870 Crossfire (due on 18th Oct)
    Thermalright Ultra Extreme Copper + Panaflo 120x38 Push-Pull
    Dell 2707WFP
    Logitech Z-5500
    Corsair HX1000W
    Windows 7 64-bit

Xtreme Addict
    Super Vertex II Turbo?

But, just wait a minute about hailing the Vertex as something wonderful.. I still wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Here's why (and those are real-world tests, not just HDTach benchmarks): http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136/7

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    The new Vertex Turbo Edition, however, can only help boost the Vertex name. OCZ is overclocking the Barefoot NAND flash controller and the SDRAM cache in order to achieve additional performance. Regular Vertex drives have 64MB of SDRAM clocked at 166MHz, but Vertex Turbo drives will have them clocked at 180MHz.
    Jeebus...

My life is too short for OCZ SSDs.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    Super Vertex II Turbo?

But, just wait a minute about hailing the Vertex as something wonderful.. I still wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Here's why (and those are real-world tests, not just HDTach benchmarks): http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136/7
    yea those 75 percent decreases of time in file compression and copying don't look appealing at all...
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Guru
    Super Vertex II Turbo?

Let me guess...
    You don't own an SSD?
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Cruncher
    wow, yet another OCZ SSD? i had no idea the controller was similar to a processor and could be overclocked. even more competition between this one and intel's new drive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Let me guess...
    You don't own an SSD?
    Bingo.

Now, my turn to guess...

You do not even bother to disagree with the real-world tests done by Techreport, so you actually agree with it?

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Mentor
    Real world to me is actually owning and using the drive on a daily basis. That would be me, and I find absolutely nothing wrong with my Vertex drive. It runs faster, even after degradation than my two Raptors in RAID 0. Access times and 4k writes are nothing to sneeze at with an SSD. I don't care what some article on the internet has to say about the matter, reserve your comments for when you actually physically payed for, own and use the drive. I am sure you would be pleasantly surprised.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Sooo... does this mean we can expect an overclocking tool for SSD's in the near future too? I wouldn't mind squeezing out some megahurts...

Xtreme Addict
    These degrading "issues" is nothing I really care about... SSDs are so damn fast anyways, and I don't plan on running benchmarks 24/7 with it. Just my 2 cents...
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Cruncher
    The main benefit of SSDs is the seektime. Transfer speed itself doesnt matter much in real life feeling. But <0.1ms vs 10ms makes a massive difference. 50MB/sec vs 250MB/sec doesnt matter much at all. Spcially since your data almost never is in sequence on a used HD. And most apps/games uses alot fo small files. Some just with an unpack of a large file into a cache area.

Hence why the bad SSDs with delayed writes are so crappy. Thats why SSDs like X25-M still gets the top spot at most times.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

I am Xtreme
    My XP 64 doesn't even have the time to load the splash screen with the Vertex, I love mine !! If you set it up properly ( see OCZtechnology forums) it runs pretty hasslefree
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Guru
    You do not even bother to disagree with the real-world tests done by Techreport, so you actually agree with it?
    Err?
    No.

I don't know what FC-Test (made by xbitlabs) Techreport does wrong as based on a quick real real-world file read/copy test I did just for you, the numbers are way faster on my Vertex 60GB than those figures at Techreport.

For example, it takes 7.72s to copy 444MB of MP3s folder-to-folder, that is 57.5MB/s.

Techreport got 17.7MB/s.

But MB/s is nigh insignificant for storage media performance, anyways. It's all about access time.
    You were not supposed to see this.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
    Sooo... does this mean we can expect an overclocking tool for SSD's in the near future too? I wouldn't mind squeezing out some megahurts...
    I think Tony mentioned it was possible.
    Regarding new Vertex... Depends on pricing I guess. The only difference is slightly overclocked cache as far as I see, so probably not worth it.

the jedi master
    No OC tool as you have to match Nand capability and timings to controller clock and cache speed...its to much for an end users to take in at this time.

TR never run wiper, they just moan about it, Indilinx drives are still the ONLY drives to have good idle time garbage collection and 3rd party TRIM...you just need to use the right drivers.

I'm not going to argue with anyone here, i know you all have your own opinions and i respect that, but respect mine also.

Vertex turbo is about as fast as we can make vertex....next will be sata 3 or a totally different drive.
    Last edited by Tony; 07-08-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Love will tear us apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Overfiend View Post
    Also they increasing the warranty to 3 years - even for already purchased drives. Now, that's customer focus!!!
    Wow!
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I think Tony mentioned it was possible.
    Regarding new Vertex... Depends on pricing I guess. The only difference is slightly overclocked cache as far as I see, so probably not worth it.
    +1 but now the regular vertex drives will be cheaper

Xtreme Addict
    270mb/s read and 210mb/s write?? Wow... These drives are getting crazy fast! And I thought the G.Skill Falcon 128gb SSD in my Dell XPS m1530 was insanely fast with read/write speeds around 200mb/s. Even my previous G.Skill SSD had 100mb/s+ data rates.... faster than my desktop PC which has 2x raptors in raid-0.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    I can't speak on the OCZs but I would definitely suggest going SSD, it's like night and day. I use X-25M in my desktop and laptop and will never go back to spinning drive for my OS. It took my 2006 laptop so much faster that the brand new Dell I was issued at my current contract. Try it, you will love it!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    These degrading "issues" is nothing I really care about... SSDs are so damn fast anyways, and I don't plan on running benchmarks 24/7 with it. Just my 2 cents...
    that, plus the fact that you will most likely upgrade a ssd soon again anyway due to speed + capacity increases.

My experience with SSDs? after having used one for about 2 month now I would not touch a mechanical drive for anything else than mass storage and backup anymore.
    Last edited by naokaji; 07-08-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    that, plus the fact that you will most likely upgrade a ssd soon again anyway due to speed + capacity increases.

My experience with SSDs? after having used one for about 2 month now I would not touch a mechanical drive for anything else than mass storage and backup anymore.
    So true, I've used an SSD and it was even old slower ones and they're very fast.

Sadly I won't be buying one till the prices drop more per GB.

To expensive at the moment.

They're making amazing progress though.

I am Xtreme
    Actually, does anyone have any information about IOPS numbers of these? Wonder if it's improved and is closer to X25-M now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    No OC tool as you have to match Nand capability and timings to controller clock and cache speed...its to much for an end users to take in at this time.
    It was just poor wording of mine, sorry. What I meant was that you mentioned the possibility of OCing SSDs. However, I don't see manufacturers helping customers in this regard, since data loss is no joke and cannot be helped in such an easy way as rebooting or resetting CMOS for motherboards.
    Last edited by zalbard; 07-08-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Visitor
    I switched my OS drive with Vista 64 to an X25-M a few months ago. Coming from a Velociraptor the differences aren't that dramatic. It's a few seconds here and there. The biggest difference I notice is when the drive has to complete multiple tasks. There's no more grinding away and slow downs. Everything is smoother and you don't feel like your HDD is holding your CPU back as much.

Xtreme Addict
    Tony had announced these on the forum a few weeks ago, I guess DailyTech just now found out about these.

Hand picked NAND and an overclocked controller should yield a boost in performance.

I'm also glad they bumped up the warranty on the Vertex and Summit drives... Nice to know I'm covered for up to three years now, same as my WD Green.

Xtreme Member
    i put a 30g vertex in my gaming rig. WOW.

it will never not have one.
    PC-A04 | Z68MA-ED55 | 2500k | 2200+ XPG | 7970 | 180g 520 | 2x1t Black | X3 1000w

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast