Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hot hot hot! The new CPU AMD can be unlocked to 4 core!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Its actually scary that it also shows as a X4 CPU. Welcome to shady companies that will sell it as quadcores
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by nunchucka View Post
    hmm so he says 65% yield = 151 cores and just to make it add up even worse lets lob off 20% (30) more trash cores from the 151 aswell. so the yield is now 45%.... bs. no way are they pulling 45% yields on a mature process with SOI
    do you have any idea what your talking about ????
    Its not overkill if it works.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Its actually scary that it also shows as a X4 CPU. Welcome to shady companies that will sell it as quadcores
    Don't think that should be an arguement for not allowing unlocking cores. Shady companies will always exist and fool the less informed. Besides, it IS a X4 CPU, this one was a X4 B50.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by marten_larsson View Post
    Don't think that should be an arguement for not allowing unlocking cores. Shady companies will always exist and fool the less informed. Besides, it IS a X4 CPU, this one was a X4 B50.
    Really? Its one of the main reasons we got locked CPU multipliers and CPU indentification programs.

I wonder how it changes to X4. The CPUID should have been unique, even with 2 factory disabled cores.

Its an X4 CPU with 2 cores thats faulty in some way.

Another fun part is to enjoy the tears from all those that expect every dualcore to unlock all 4
    Its more of a backfire than good marketing imo.
    Last edited by Shintai; 05-29-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    -

I knew it. Since the 720 was unlockable to a quad core I knew these dual core Phenom's were capable of unlocking themselves into a quad core. If it becomes a quad core I wonder if the performance is close to a 940 or 950.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I knew it. Since the 720 was unlockable to a quad core I knew these dual core Phenom's were capable of unlocking themselves into a quad core.
    I observed another hint for the ideea that X4\X3\X2 are phisically made from same die, look on the CPUZ on stepping and revision there are the same for all X4 920/940/955, X3 720/710, X2 550. There is no different revision for all X4/X3/X2 cpus? i mean nothing different at all no metter that is 125W,95W,80W TDP? So i think that beside the fact that there are rebuts and damaget cpus that which have 1/2? cores broken all these cpu' are in fact original X4 Phenom 2 with 1/2cores disabled and even some L3 cache disabled.
    Last edited by xdan; 05-29-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Live Long And Overclock
    They can't. You have to unlock the cores manually and shady companies rarely have intelligent minds on their hands.

Perkam

Xtreme Member
    you can unlock the 2 cores but it still lacks the L3 cache, right?
    3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H | 7970 Ghz 1100/6000 | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD (Win 7) | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (OSX 10.8.3) | 16GB Vengeance 1600 | 24'' Dell U2412M | Corsair Carbide 300R

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok-LuR- View Post
    you can unlock the 2 cores but it still lacks the L3 cache, right?
    Even with 2 cores they have all 6MB of L3 cache.. so no.

You're thinking of the Athlon II X2, which has 1MB L2 per core. (2MB Total) and No L3.

This (afwk) has its own native Dual core mask though so it's not unlockable to quad, since the cores don't physically exist.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    I'd guess it's the 550 BE given the unlocked multiplier. Currently at €98, after launch on tuesday it will probably drop more. X2 250 at €90. Look here
    Now -

550: €92
    250: €85
    Last edited by Mats; 05-29-2009 at 06:17 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by xdan View Post
    I observed another hint for the ideea that X4\X3\X2 are phisically made from same die, look on the CPUZ on stepping and revision there are the same for all X4 920/940/955, X3 720/710, X2 550. There is no different revision for all X4/X3/X2 cpus? i mean nothing different at all no metter that is 125W,95W,80W TDP? So i think that beside the fact that there are rebuts and damaget cpus that which have 1/2? cores broken all these cpu' are in fact original X4 Phenom 2 with 1/2cores disabled and even some L3 cache disabled.
    Regor is native dual core with no L3 and 2x1MB L2.Propus is native quad core with 4x512KB L2 and no L3.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    dingdingding, same thing happend with the old pentiums where the multis still where open.

Thought i think when such thing ever happens they most likely will surface in asia.

I'm pretty sure that's just FUD from Intel's Marketing. Even after they locked the multi you could still bump up the FSB on the cheap chips from 66mhz to 100mhz.
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RVWinkle View Post
    Even after they locked the multi you could still bump up the FSB on the cheap chips from 66mhz to 100mhz.
    Exactly, just like slower C2's can be sold with 333 MHx FSB, or BE's with the multiplier maxed out. There's always someone who'd buy an overpriced 3.8 GHz 955 BE.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm pretty sure that's just FUD from Intel's Marketing. Even after they locked the multi you could still bump up the FSB on the cheap chips from 66mhz to 100mhz.
    Funny how AMD had the same problems and used the same countermeasure

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Regor is native dual core with no L3 and 2x1MB L2.Propus is native quad core with 4x512KB L2 and no L3.
    I wasn't talking about Regor&Propus, i was talking only about Phenom II X4,X3, and Callisto X2.
    And why you're so shure that Regor is a native dual core? It might be a crippled future Propus whith two cores disabled...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    The only problem I forsee with this is endusers actually complaining when they're system is not 100 % stable when they use a bios that unlocks the chip..........

Unfortunately its tough noogies.........If you email the manufacturer and complain they are likely to laugh at you.....then of course the end user will be slamming said manufacturer.....

I forsee a vicious circle...

I've already seen this in the gigabyte 790 thread.....endusers want, want, want....the mere mention that they might have a dud or not be 100% stable is forbidden.....its the bios's fault..........
    definitely, there's no way our stress tests test every single transistor in an entire CPU - i bet there are linpack and prime stable unlocked cores out there with irrecoverable defects in the dies

Xtreme Addict
    Actually Intel's position about overclocking is pretty clear - "yes" for entusiast, "no" for mass. I would hear from AMD what's its position about cores unlocking. For now it's looks like "silent marketing". I mean AMD is very silent about all that stuff and lets to forums like this to do its job (advertisement). So when some unhappy user will come back and complain about instability issues with unlocked cores, then AMD will be completely innocent.
    Last edited by kl0012; 05-29-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I wasn't talking about Regor&Propus, i was talking only about Phenom II X4,X3, and Callisto X2.
    And why you're so shure that Regor is a native dual core? It might be a crippled future Propus whith two cores disabled...
    Use logic maybe?
    Regor has 2x1MB of L2 while Propus has 4x512KB of L2.And no, AMD can't combine the other L2 caches from your "Crippled Propus" to make 2x1MB of L2...

Live Long And Overclock
    Why do people never learn?

People in the EU pay high taxes, with the taxes in Germany reaching 19%.

The price without taxes is €77.46 which comes to $109.50 USD for the price of the Phenom II 550 BE.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    All phenom II's use the same kind of die, this is nothing new you're talking about.

It might be a crippled future Propus whith two cores disabled...
    Why?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    And no, AMD can't combine the other L2 caches from your "Crippled Propus" to make 2x1MB of L2...
    indeed, there's no bus on a phenom die that would allow two usable cores to borrow l2 cache from two dead cores

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    Why do people never learn?

People in the EU pay high taxes, with the taxes in Germany reaching 19%.

The price without taxes is €77.46 which comes to $109.50 USD for the price of the Phenom II 550 BE.

Perkam
    And I live where?

Live Long And Overclock
    And I live where?
    I was referring to the people that convert the price inc taxes into their USD calculations.

The fact that you are from Europe doesn't change my argument.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    I was referring to the people that convert the price inc taxes into their USD calculations.

The fact that you are from Europe doesn't change my argument.

Perkam
    Sure but seeing you quoting me is just confusing since no one have mentioned those prices, nor assumed that they're without taxes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast