Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Multi-GPU Help......56K!

Xtreme Addict

Need Multi-GPU Help......56K!

Hey Everybody,

Got the Water Blocks in and installed onto the 8800GS's. Can't seem to get two instances running--one on each card. I've read the sticky and followed the Hardforum post. I was up until 6:30 (about 4.5hrs ago ) trying to get this sorted out.

Just tried to take a screenshot, but it froze the display (have since gotten that sorted). When I click the 2nd instance I get a pop-up that says:

I'm using 177.83. I've "updated driver" via Device Manager>8800GS>Properties>Driver tab>update driver---on both cards. Via DM 1 card is on PCI Bus 1 and the other on PCI bus 4.

Both cards are recognized in GPU-Z--one is OCed via Rivatuner, the other is stock:

I eventually uninstalled F@H and reinstalled it. I setup the 2 shortcuts on the desktop and made the duplicate folders, etc:

I put "" Quotes around the address in "Start in:", but they always disappear when I return.

I am wondering if it would help to try and run this "in compatiblility mode for XP"

If I remove the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1, I can get it working. But my fold rate and points go to total Shat! Like: 2 mins 52secs.

ATM, I am just lost. The only thing I know to do now is see if maybe the MB has a jumper or something. Also, ATM--It cannot seem to get Rivaturner to recognize both the cards....It shows 3 extra monitors, but things just aren't right. But I'll deall with that later.

Needing some help here! Thanx!!!
    Last edited by Naja002; 08-28-2008 at 08:46 AM.

I used to know a lot about all the clients, as I had used them all. Then GPU2 comes out and I'm at a loss. I'm getting a 9600GSO, so then I'll be able to understand the GPU2 client, but even before that now there is a question about dual GPUs and aahhh I haven't even gotten to a single one yet...!

You're inadvertently pushing me to get a second card just so I can figure it out

The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Ya know Sparky--there's plenty of Good cards at decent prices these days.......

I just wanted to add:

If I need to put something in the config--"Additional Clients Parameters"....then I have no idea what it would be. They are blank right now:

Wait....

I think the flags only work on the console versions when put in the command line. Try this! Remove -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 from the command line, then put them in the client parameters instead. Can't hurt to try, can it?
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    The only way I can get it to work is to remove the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1---but my points/ folding rate are half of what they should be. However, that is in the shortcut properties. I will try it in the client parameters and report back.

Also, I have no-cpu-lock checked, but both instances were set to core 3. I changed one to core 2--but it doesn't seem to matter. They are running properly--just at half the rate. Task manager shows 3% cpu usage for each instance--and that's about right from what I have seen.

Sparky, if you have not looked through this yet--please do.....Its for GPU and Multi-GPU setup--vista and XP:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1330889

XS Mad Scientist
    Did you tell windows to extend the desktop to include a monitor for each GPU? This seems to be required at least for me under xp32. Not sure about your OS.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Vista requires it. I thought xp doesn't.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Wait....

I think the flags only work on the console versions when put in the command line. Try this! Remove -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 from the command line, then put them in the client parameters instead. Can't hurt to try, can it?

Ok, that just put me back to the same place as doing it via the shortcut properties:

I had to go into the files to the config file via notepad and remove the -gpu 1 in order to get back to where I was.....

Quote Originally Posted by angra View Post
    Did you tell windows to extend the desktop to include a monitor for each GPU? This seems to be required at least for me under xp32. Not sure about your OS.

Yes, I tried that, but its not taking it, or wasn't (I may try it again). It shows 4 monitors, but 3 are inactive. It doesn't matter which one I try to extend it to--it just won't do it. My OS is Vista 64.

Its working on 2 different WUs, so either 1 gpu is working on both WUs (not likely I don't think), or each gpu is working on its own WU, but at half the rate. I'm working if this is a bandwidth issue somehow. I didn't see anything in the Bios.....any thoughts?

EDIT: Just tried it again--No Go. It will jump through the hoops, but ends up right back to the extend checkmark not there. Tried all 3 "inactive" monitors again.
    Last edited by Naja002; 08-28-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I am pretty sure its also required on Vista as well and on Vista I think you actually have to have a monitor or a vga dummy connector to make vista think you have a monitor connected by putting a load onto the card.

You will need a vga test/dummy connector which is very easy to make just need a hd15 connector and 3 75 ohm resistors you could also just use the dvi to vga adapter and insert the resistors into that as well.

Here is a link to the FAH folding Forum about it http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4864

And a link showing how to make a dummy connector
    http://soerennielsen.dk/mod/VGAdummy/index_en.php
    Last edited by Shadowtester; 08-28-2008 at 09:52 AM.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor 2.4GHz OverClocked 3.321GHz average 42c using SMP F@H Linux Client
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 2048mb x2
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, that's cool. I can hook up this monitor that I'm using now--but after I extend the desktop: can I disconnect this monitor and connect it back to this pc?

What is a "vga dummy"? Apologies for the noob question. I've heard of it, but don't know exactly what it is..... I have vga to DVI adapters--would that help? I think not, but desperate times call for desparate measures....

EDIT: Checking out the added info now--Thanx!

Xtreme Member
    I updated the second link just a few seconds ago with a real good page for how to build a vga dummy plug very easy to follow with diagrams to follow as well. I do not think you can disconnect the second monitor you need to have two connected or have one and a dummy plug.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor 2.4GHz OverClocked 3.321GHz average 42c using SMP F@H Linux Client

Xtreme Addict
    Thank You Very Much! I am not a "resistor guy" so I get lost pretty easily. But atm I'm going to connect this monitor up for a bit and see if that fixes the problem. If so, then I'll know what needs to be done and will have to start trying to locate the 75 ohm resistors.

Great info! Thanx!

Downside with the dummy plug is you'll need the dvi > VGA adapter too, but oh well. Thanks for that link, I think I may need it later

Radioshack will have all those parts.
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Member
    A quick and dirty way to make a dummy plug is to just use the dvi to vga adapter and insert the resistors directly into the correct connection holes however its not a real good long term option since nothing except a little friction is holding the resistors and they are not protected from shorting out against each other if one get bent by accident a hooded db15 connector with the resistors soldered in is a much better long term option and not very expensive parts needed run around $5.00 at Radio Shack. Radio Shack does not have 75 ohm resistors but they do have 68 ohm resistors and they will work fine anything between 50 ohms and 150 ohms will work 75 ohms is just optimum.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, not working and it makes things worse. I've seen this before, but it was 1x 8800GS OCed and 1 stock. Now its 1 @ stock and the other at Zero:

These are WCed and from the temps it looks like the Zero card is working and the stock card is not.....

I've extended the desktop to the 2nd monitor--physically. In Vista I extended it to "Monitor 4" and then "Monitor 3". Both show a display, but my folding rate goes to over 6 mins and the points drop to just over 1K/card. I rebooted each time. I am going to try "Monitor 2", but not expecting that to help.

I have the monitor plugs plugged into the Top DVI via a vga to DVI adapter. Does that matter? I would think not, but.... Also, I am using some Vga to DVI adapters that I already had--not the specific ones that came with the cards--again: Does that matter? I would think not, but...

Was hoping this was the ticket. What now?

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, strange, but progress:

I added the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 via the configs. Now it seems that -gpu 0 is running @ ~3mins per % and -gpu 1 is running ~ 1 min 31 secs.

Progress: Yes. But what does it mean?

-gpu 1 is running 100%
    -gpu 0 is running 50%

Xtreme Addict
    Got It!!! Another fluke, but whatever works--Works! I added the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 to the config files and that brought 100% and 50%. I haven't been able to understand why I cannot get Rivaturner to recognize both cards and allow me to manipulate them independently...didn't make much sense.

So, I was fumbling around in RT--again--and decided to UNcheck:

That did it!!!! Now I can manipulate each card independently and they are both cranking 100% !!! Note: It is UNchecked by default. I checked it a few days ago thinking it would be a Good Thing.

I believe the temp difference is because I have the flow going into 1 card then the other--and---I believe--its hitting the cpu before it gets to the cards. I may swap things around later--but that's the E-A-S-Y part!

I swapped the 2nd monitor back to its original pc. Didn't change anything on the cruncher. Not sure what's going to happen whenever I reboot it, but I guess I'll find out the next time. Worst comes to worst--I'll hook up the 2nd monitor, get things going and then swap it back until I can get a vga dummy made.

So, now things look like this:

GPU1:

GPU2:

Man, I'm a Happy Camper right now!

Thanx Everybody for Your help! Its good to know that You guys are there! Hopefully this will save someone else some headaches.

Awesome!
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Member
    Congratulations and I bet you will have the monitor problem again when you try to reboot or if you have to restart the clients for any reason since it running now I guess vista does not recheck to make sure the monitor is still connected to the video card prior to activating the card.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Awesome!
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtester View Post
    Congratulations and I bet you will have the monitor problem again when you try to reboot or if you have to restart the clients for any reason since it running now I guess vista does not recheck to make sure the monitor is still connected to the video card prior to activating the card.

I've already restarted the clients as I try to clock the cards higher and higher--it hasn't had any negative effect!

But I think that I will definitely have to do a dual monitor reboot in order for things to continue working. But that's cool--it'll just help me get this handled!

Thank You very much for your help Shadowtester! Your input overall has been a Great help to me and I'm sure others that will weed through this thread.

Done:

DVI to VGA Dummy.....56K!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto my ordeal with the Obsidian:

Making It Work.....the Obsidian....56K!
    Last edited by Naja002; 09-01-2008 at 05:09 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, I got up this morning and everything seemed fine. At least I think it was....fresh outta bed I started working on the DVI to VGA Dummy linked above. I checked the rigs first and don't recall any issues, but I was really only half awake.

Anyway, after installing the DVI to VGA Dummy I noticed that my PPD were half of what they should be--again! Sheesh. I tried a lot of different things--including hooking up an actual 2nd monitor again. But nothing helped. I've rebooted I don't know how many times. Been in the Bios and back. In RT, Device Manager and just about everywhere else. I managed to get my production back to 75% (=100% on GPU1 + 50% on GPU2). That's it. That's as far as I could get.

As ridiculous as this is--I got back to 75% PPD by REchecking this:

Sheesh. uncheck it to solve a problem, then REcheck it to solve the same problem. Uh,.....what's up with That!

I don't remember why, but for some reason I shutdown the GPU1 client. Then my GPU2 PPD skyrocketed back to 100%. Hmmm, doesn't really mean much, but maybe it will keep going up and I'll be able to run 1 client at 200% speed, huh? Well, no luck with that! Anyway, I watched GPU2 for a while ( with GPU1 shutdown). Everything looked great with GPU2. So after a while I fired up GPU1. Well, GPU2 has maintained its high PPD and GPU1 is back at full speed. Hmmmmm, what the #@%&&%# does that mean? I need to start GPU2 before I start GPU1? Ok, I can handle that, but it really makes no sense to me.

I've had all kinds of wacky stuff going on with this 2x GPU deal. Way to much to list or even remember. So, right now--at this moment--maybe not in 5 minutes--but right this moment--Things are running well and as they should be!
    Last edited by Naja002; 09-01-2008 at 07:14 PM.

The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks like you've had as many problems getting 2 clients running as I had trying to get 2 X 9800GX2s running.

Some basics that need to be covered... Different machine IDs on each GPU2 client? Vista 64 requires a monitor or VGA dummy plug with desktop extended at all times. You can't unplug it like XP. RivaTuner needs to see both monitors always. If it asks for a reboot for detection, reboot. If RivaTuner doesn't see 2 monitors you will not be able to OC the GPUs separately. This was my major hurdle in first getting 2 GPU2s running at the same speeds. HTH. Good luck!
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Xtreme Addict
    All covered......but Many Thanx for posting.

Only thing in the list is reboot v. detect now. I'll start doing the reboot...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
    All covered......but Many Thanx for posting.

Only thing in the list is reboot v. detect now. I'll start doing the reboot...
    Another option would be to uninstall Rivatuner after the 2nd monitor/ dummy plug is installed and reinstall. This will force RivaTuner to Auto-detect the new monitor config.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast