Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OCing on a Budget

OCing on a Budget

So Ive ordered the parts for a new computer and it came to $1100CAD (yeah im cheap)

i got the Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 and the AMD 1090T BE

My goal is to OC to 5GHz for proof of concept for budget computing

now, i feel this can be accomplished quite easily on air cooling. what i wish to know is what experience do people have overclocking the 1090T and the motherboard with stock heatsinks, I know, I know "never clock with stock" but most aftermarket heatsinks are mainly used for quieter operation.

so to make this simple and short

what clock speeds have you gotten on stock heatsinks with those items and would my 5GHz goal be reachable, if not what speeds should i expect once i get the parts

Xtreme Cruncher
    i think you might be dreaming if you really "feel this can be accomplished quite easily on air cooling"

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Cruncher
    5Ghz on stock cooling? xD I don't think so.
    AMD FX 8350 @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair H60
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    8GB Mushkin Blackline @ 1800Mhz
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Crucial C300 SSD - Bootdrive
    2 x 640GB Samsung - 1.2TB RAID 0
    800GB Western Digital Green SATAII
    Corsair TX 750
    Coolermaster HAF932 - Modded by Blackstare

My own little world
    You may want to do some research mate... 5GHZ, budget, and stock cooling? Not going to happen. And as for aftermarket coolers being used for Quieter operation? Ok... if you think so. Most members here use them to try to reduce temps and squeeze mor speed out... Funny that...
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    this was done by dumo with single stage cooling.
    look at what volts were needed for 4830Mhz.
    i dont 5Ghz will survive on air,or on stock cooler.
    X6 oc

pretty silly first post,but

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Guru
    1100 bux to spend and u don't want an aftermarket hsf?
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Cruncher
    troll attempt? if not welcome! but as others said... 5ghz on air... unheard of..
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

Xtreme Cruncher
    welcome to the forum... I think you ment 4GHZ..yes?
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    i mean 6GHZ we cool with vodka.. wait. could you do that? not 6ghz. but vodka.

with a little lemon

like i said this is a proof of concept and my goal is 5GHz, my friends at Galazar(recently bought out by Exar) say it can be done, now I do feel I would be pushing it but I have faith in what Im doing, Im going to try for 4.6GHz, and inch my way from there, with the asrock 939dual-sata2 i was able to get an extra 1 GHz out of the NB with a locked 4200+ X2 with stock heatsinks, that lasted a year before i tried pushing it a little bit further.. BUT ANYWAY.. even getting just 25% out of the northbridge will bring me up to 4Ghz, if running temperatures are decent at load i will try and go a little further until i do reach my goal of 5GHz, it can be done, and whoever says it cant just isnt trying hard enough

and i bet you i can, anyone want to take this bet? :P

and thank you all for the welcomes, you will soon learn why i go through computers like certain illegal careers go through certain latex products *doesnt know how laxed rules are yet*

I believe anything is possible, you just need the willpower and ways to bend the rules without breaking them or anything else in the process
    Last edited by AuToFiRE; 05-03-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by AuToFiRE View Post
    like i said this is a proof of concept and my goal is 5GHz, my friends at Galazar(recently bought out by Exar) say it can be done, now I do feel I would be pushing it but I have faith in what Im doing, Im going to try for 4.6GHz, and inch my way from there, with the asrock 939dual-sata2 i was able to get an extra 1 GHz out of the NB with a locked 4200+ X2 with stock heatsinks, that lasted a year before i tried pushing it a little bit further.. BUT ANYWAY.. even getting just 25% out of the northbridge will bring me up to 4Ghz, if running temperatures are decent at load i will try and go a little further until i do reach my goal of 5GHz, it can be done, and whoever says it cant just isnt trying hard enough

and i bet you i can, anyone want to take this bet? :P

and thank you all for the welcomes, you will soon learn why i go through computers like certain illegal careers go through certain latex products *doesnt know how laxed rules are yet*

I believe anything is possible, you just need the willpower and ways to bend the rules without breaking them or anything else in the process
    I hear you in saying that you will give it your all etc etc.. MHO is that 5ghz no matter how much diligence is just way too far fetched....

IF it WERE to happen... you would have to go through hundreds of chips for that golden one and have a godsent board to go with it....

In any case, Good luck mate.
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

u could do 5ghz if u are in Siberia or some ware else were u could do sub 0c by being outside, anythig near room temp on the stock cooler i wouldent expect over 4ghz with turbo and thats pushing it. the stock cooler is not upgraded to an OEM cooler to be quiet sure u could use it to be quieter but thats only since it has way more cooling power and surface area so u dont as high RPMS to get the air flow that u need but thats not to say that u cant shove some deltas onto a good cooler and get even better cooling
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    u could do 5ghz if u are in Siberia or some ware else were u could do sub 0c by being outside, anythig near room temp on the stock cooler i wouldent expect over 4ghz with turbo and thats pushing it. the stock cooler is not upgraded to an OEM cooler to be quiet sure u could use it to be quieter but thats only since it has way more cooling power and surface area so u dont as high RPMS to get the air flow that u need but thats not to say that u cant shove some deltas onto a good cooler and get even better cooling
    I know a few tricks that some of you would never do, especially if you value your computer, one of these was putting 2 pieces of tin foil underneath the heatsink after removing all heat paste, that alone decreased the CPU temperature by 3 degrees, another little mod i made was bodging an old pentium MMX 1 inch fan with wood screws into the stock northbridge of the 939dual-sata2, it worked quite well and probably led to my excess overclocking of that board(especially when that fan failed..)..

Xtreme Cruncher
    so let me get this straight,you put a fan on your northbridge to keep it cool?
    (sarcasm)WOW,i would have never thought of doing a trick like that.amazing(sarcasm over)
    sorry but i still say you are dreaming,your chip will die before you ever get 5Ghz on stock cooler.

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Mentor
    reality check. what was the goal of making this thread--proving your ignorance? faith isn't gonna get you 5ghz, skills are.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    i think that it's been said over and over, i appriciate your drive but if you look at all the expierienced OC members and what they are doing to get close to 5ghz,
    you have to admit that even if you hit 5ghz, it will only be for the twinkle of your eye,,,,

i'll be watching, you have my interest, oh and welcome
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

sorry if im a little confusing right now theres a few concerns about my girlfriend being pregnant so im trying to get my mind off it so please bear with me, now, if you think that i will fry my CPU before i even get close to 5GHz, then please take my bet, place down your chips because I love a good challenge, if you feel its going to take a toll on the computer then i will jsut take it a bit slower, but I am a betting man and I want to try, and hey, its only a $300 processor, if i fry it i can easily get a new one. but i bet you all a picture of me in my girlfriends blue panties and blue lace bra if i fail, if i succeed on the otherhand, i want recognition and an apology from everyone so far saying they were wrong =P

I know a few tricks that some of you would never do, especially if you value your computer, one of these was putting 2 pieces of tin foil underneath the heatsink after removing all heat paste, that alone decreased the CPU temperature by 3 degrees, another little mod i made was bodging an old pentium MMX 1 inch fan with wood screws into the stock northbridge of the 939dual-sata2, it worked quite well and probably led to my excess overclocking of that board(especially when that fan failed..)..
    well, i have liquid cooling and im not heat limited, there are many others here with the same limitations. sure i dont have an x6 yet but unless u chip really cold like sub 0c the transistors just cant operate that fast without some exotic cooling. i dont think that u have what kind of forum this is down, a good chunk of people lap cpus and have what most would consider exotic cooling and they are not getting the p2 over 4-4.2ghz without using sub ambient cooling so even if u do max out air cooling u have no chance at 5ghz unless u are in some kind of snow covered waste land (i guess a desert at night would also work)

and u should use silver leaf not tin foil if u are going to do that, but there are things better like liquid metal pro or indigo extreme
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    5G on air on stock cooler? wow i'll be waiting for that to happen
    But i guess 4.5G on air on 3rd party HSF is possible - make that your target first

validation
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1089120

Xtreme Mentor
    Shin-Etsu, Noctua NH-D14, and a sempron 140.

only way I can think of ever getting 5.0ghz on air though it would be a challenge to try it.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

I know the transistor issues and things like that (Galazar designs microchips) and ive gotten to play with multimillion dollar servers to intel development kits, to my favourite, this
    *quarter million dollar frisbee*

My friends at Galazar say it can be done, it just all depends on how well you share the load throughout the motherboard, how many cubic feet of air can be moved and how efficiently you can expel the heated air out of the case

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    sorry if im a little confusing right now theres a few concerns about my girlfriend being pregnant so im trying to get my mind off it so please bear with me, now, if you think that i will fry my CPU before i even get close to 5GHz, then please take my bet, place down your chips because I love a good challenge, if you feel its going to take a toll on the computer then i will jsut take it a bit slower, but I am a betting man and I want to try, and hey, its only a $300 processor, if i fry it i can easily get a new one. but i bet you all a picture of me in my girlfriends blue panties and blue lace bra if i fail, if i succeed on the otherhand, i want recognition and an apology from everyone so far saying they were wrong =P
    Hi, i don't think a bet is needed.
    you came to a EXTREME forum and started doing some talking, then people expressed their positions based on what we have seen here " real world"
    so money or not, the spotlight is on you, and if you get it, i don't think that
    an apology is due, but more of a congratz for doing what we all love to do,
    EXTREME Computing. So keep us posted...
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post
    Hi, i don't think a bet is needed.
    you came to a EXTREME forum and started doing some talking, then people expressed their positions based on what we have seen here " real world"
    so money or not, the spotlight is on you, and if you get it, i don't think that
    an apology is due, but more of a congratz for doing what we all love to do,
    EXTREME Computing. So keep us posted...
    And I must say thank you for that, everyone seems to get caught up in what they feel can and cannot be done, so its nice to see some down to earth men on here, sorry to everyone if i seem a little y or head too high in the clouds but i dont give up till i succeed,

Just think, if it werent for two geniuses who said a computer shouldnt be encased in a solid block of germanium, but instead layered on a piece of silicon, we wouldnt exactly be able to have this discussion, we are able to build upon and improve what others cannot, because all of us together are better then one (or two) brain(s)

and for this, this is why i push existing technology which others feel inadequate, so please forgive my EXTREME openess and allow me to introduce myself, I am AuToFiRE, a Canadian, a curious, not so shy and one of my favourite hobbies is voiding warranties, it is apleasure to meet you all and it will be nice to learna bit more about what i lack in

Xtreme Member
    5gigs on stock is not only extreme, it's ing ludicrous. Starting with quality of equipment: The heatsink is designed to handle mainstream computing; running at stock temps for stock performance.

You will, invariably have to up voltages and multipliers, ultimately pushing more electricity through the CPU. As you reach the maximum cooling capacity of the heatsink unit, you begin to run the risk of seriously damaging your processor.

That sort of high end overclocking really can not be done with stock equipment. Even with my equipment, I can get a suicide run of 4.2 on my 955be.

As the man before me said, "Keep us posted." I'd love to see the results of this.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

Xtreme Member
    Are you talking about 5ghz with one core, or are you talking 5ghz with all 6 cores? Anyone can do a simple suicide run to get a screen shot with only one core going super fast, and anyone can use photoshop to retouch an image. You sure can talk the talk, but to walk the walk we need to see some results. Stop flapping them gums, all that hot air isnt good for overclocking with air.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast