Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: "Whiteout" PC 343b Horiz. Mobo. Worklog

Life's Replay
    Ha. You're already 10 minutes late.

Looking forwards to updates, good luck with sponsors.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Member
    Like your white rads, is that your own custom "FrostyWhite" paint color.LOL

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    Ha. You're already 10 minutes late.

Looking forwards to updates, good luck with sponsors.
    Thanks . I think I'm a bit later than that .

Quote Originally Posted by zuess View Post
    Like your white rads, is that your own custom "FrostyWhite" paint color.LOL
    Yup. Just kidding... Hmmm...Partnership/sponsorship from Krylon . Maybe they'll make a special XS Mods line

On a more serious note, here you all go. Painted radiators! I used 2 coats of Krylon Primer and 9 coats of Krylon Satin Bright White spray paint on these. I sanded to 1200 grit in between coats. I really love the semi mirrored finish on them . Mucho sexeh...

This is bright white in real life. My camera kinda sucks to it likes to make things yellow

Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    NICE Looking paint there. Man i cannot wait to see this build mature!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperbob View Post
    NICE Looking paint there. Man i cannot wait to see this build mature!
    Thanks! After 11 total coats, I hoped it would turn out nicely. I've never done any of this before so I'm really happy with how excellent everything is turning out . One tip for those of you who who are looking to do this sort of thing is that I have found that intense heat gives a much nicer finish when using anything with a little gloss to it (this includes satin, semi-gloss, glossy). I just use the box that my 343b came in and cut a vent hole in the top. It cooks the buggers at about 95 degrees Fahrenheit and not only dries it quicker, but gives it a nice sheen. I wish I had pictures to show the difference between two things painted with the same paint when heated and when not .

Here's basically the plan for the next few months:

The next part of my build will be: First, to buy and paint a PA120.2 the same way as the Feser 360's; and second, to figure out how I want to mount the HDD cage. Then I get to take on the fun task of PSU sleeving. I intend to use MDPC-X sleeving from murdermod.com to give it a really clean look, even though very little of the wiring will be visible. I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish this by the end of January, right about Semester Finals time....ugh.

I've kind of hit a financial wall at the moment so all the updates you'll probably be seeing for the next couple of months will be patchy DIY stuff while I earn some money to buy that Ultra X3 1600w that I want to get. If anybody has any spare watercooling parts (esp. comp fittings...Koolance 1/2" ID 5/8" OD) that they could donate to me I would be more than grateful. I don't really like it when people just give me stuff, so if you have watercooling parts you'd like to "donate", I would like to find some way I can pay you back/work it off (obviously not in money, as that seems to be a reurring problem for me).

To build relations in the XS community, and to try and make some side money from my regular job, I have a signature and avatar customization service that I started up, so if anybody needs/wants avatars and/or signatures, just speak up. One condition is that I DO ask people to visit my donation site after they receive their avatar or signature to help me pay for parts. Here is the site: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=1056057. If I find that too many people are just taking me for granted, that little donate button will be forced to turn into a "Buy Now" button and I'll be forced to take payment before I create your sigs and avatars. I know I sound like a jerk, but nobody likes to get taken advantage of. I think that the donate button was a more friendly way of obtaining funds, so lets all help eachother out here please...

I'll periodically update with new updates and ideas I have for this build. In the next few days or so I intend to have an update or two regarding sponsorships from ATI graphics cards manufacturers. Wish me luck with these guys....I REALLY need the sponsorships if you couldn't tell from my "financial wall" groaning above.

Thanks for all of your support and great feedback so far!

Random question also... Do you guys like the updates list on the first post? It takes a bit of work to make it, but I thought that everyone might benefit from it. Just asking
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 11-13-2008 at 09:33 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Coming along very nicely! The radiators really do look sweet! :-)

I wish you the best of luck finding some good sponsors.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Wow!

Sweet build, I love the white contrast and time you're putting into painting everything custom...looks awesome!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPanda View Post
    My overall goal with this project is to make it into MDPC so we'll see how well I can do this!
    That's really the best goal ever

And are you really 15 year old or did I misread something? Anyway the build is looking really nice so far, keep up the awesome work!
    Not into xtreme builds anymore, just like to keep things silent.
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - Intel i7 920 3.6 GHz - 6 Gb 1800 MHz DDR3 - AMD HD5850

Xtreme Addict
    Nice paint job on the rads! Painting takes a lot of patience and skill to pull it off right. Nice work.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagaaja View Post
    That's really the best goal ever

And are you really 15 year old or did I misread something? Anyway the build is looking really nice so far, keep up the awesome work!
    Nope you read correctly. I'll be turning 16 in march . Driving . Too bad gas is so pricey and insurance is $2500 a year ... I gotta finish this pc first. I get a free Metro card from my school though so I'm set for a few years...
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post

I'm really liking the white themed builds at XS.
    Me three, the black and white contrast is looking very attractive
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A bit of an update...

I've decided to go with Feser Compression fittings 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD. I was reading up on the techflex website, and it says that for the Carbon Fiber sleeving I wanted to use, I would most likely want to use a resin to solidify it, which I have no intent of doing. Instead, Ive decided to go with Tygon R3603 tubing and I'll be using Feser One UV Blue coolant. I was inspired to make this change after revisiting charles' murderbox and the blue coolant he used. I also wanted to have some color in the interior of this blue, and the lighter blue color of this is a great addition. As a result, I will save myself about $75 on the carbon fiber sleeving, I'll be able to use Feser fittings, and be able to use 3/4" tubing . Plus, after imagining what CF tubing would look like, I don't think I'd like the final outcome. Hmmm....since I have three loops, and the exterior will be airbrushed with pearl lime green and pearl true blue, maybe I'll use the feser green dye. The other way I could go is to just buy the Feser Tubing and then just use distilled water. What do you guys think? And if I choose to buy the tubing, which blue should I use? Carribean blue or just their basic blue?
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 11-15-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    did you just say you were going to get some airbrushing done??? what's going to get brushed on? At least throw us some hints...

Xtreme Member
    I can't even imagine 16yr olds driving cars here in Finland especially during wintertime. I mean they're so wreckless even with their scooters and mopeds!

But I'm guessing it's more ok in states 'cause most of the cars have automatic transmission, right?

And some ontopic: I'd prefer clear tubing with sime nice coloured coolant
    Not into xtreme builds anymore, just like to keep things silent.
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - Intel i7 920 3.6 GHz - 6 Gb 1800 MHz DDR3 - AMD HD5850

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperbob View Post
    did you just say you were going to get some airbrushing done??? what's going to get brushed on? At least throw us some hints...
    I already did . This link or post 46 will get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaaja View Post
    I can't even imagine 16yr olds driving cars here in Finland especially during wintertime. I mean they're so wreckless even with their scooters and mopeds!

But I'm guessing it's more ok in states 'cause most of the cars have automatic transmission, right?

And some ontopic: I'd prefer clear tubing with sime nice coloured coolant
    Yaa most of my friends are pretty reckless also. I took a really advanced driver training course which seemed to pay off. As far as the transmission, it has nothing to do with driver skill. Ive got friends who drive automatics that suck at driving and friends who drive sticks that are great.

I like the idea of using colored coolant vs. colored tubes.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Addict
    Clear tubes and colored coolant is the way to go. It really gives a lot more depth to the tubing.

Xtreme Addict
    Problem with coloured coolant is that the dye can start clogging waterblocks after a while.
    Also the UV properties of the coolant dissapear aswell, while coloured tubing never does

PS. I hate cars, don't ask me why never liked them, never liked driving them. Give me a motorbike anyday

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    Problem with coloured coolant is that the dye can start clogging waterblocks after a while.
    Also the UV properties of the coolant dissapear aswell, while coloured tubing never does

PS. I hate cars, don't ask me why never liked them, never liked driving them. Give me a motorbike anyday
    If need be I can always drain it and clean everything out. I'll be using the apogee gtz, and so far it doesn't seem like anyone has had problems with these blocks clogging. So far it seems like its just the EK Supreme has had problems...

Cars own bikes anyday.....

Also...
    Do you all think that I really need the 1600w PSU, or could I get away with just using a 1200w Silverstone Strider. I'd love to be able to save myself the 100 bucks. I'll probably be switching out the deltas for something quieter and less watt intensive...

But for three loops, each with an mcp355, two 4870x2's, a q6600 oc'd, and two velociraptors...would 1200w be enough?
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 11-15-2008 at 01:40 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Addict
    More than enough, I'd say you could always save more cash and get an Ultra X3 1000w, ultimate modular PSU and alot cheaper than a Silverstone

I'd give my left nut for a Velociraptor and two 4870x2's :O

Hell when you get all those, pm me your get rich scheme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    More than enough, I'd say you could always save more cash and get an Ultra X3 1000w, ultimate modular PSU and alot cheaper than a Silverstone

I'd give my left nut for a Velociraptor and two 4870x2's :O

Hell when you get all those, pm me your get rich scheme
    will do. I actually found the silverstone strider for 250 on newegg vs. the ultra which costs the same for 200 watts less. I actually calculated out everything on this site and i came out to 985 watts. I just want to play it safe and go with the 1200w. I really wish the silverstone came in glossy black though . Hmmm i think I'll be doing some painting . I also hate the plugs on the silverstone panel. Ultra definately has the market on this one...
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 11-15-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Addict
    I used http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and it didn't come close to 990w.

Even with testing a heavy loaded system with 2 4870x2's don't go over 820 Max

EDIT: Review here http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...ew-crossfire/6
    Last edited by N19h7m4r3; 11-15-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you use it with high 10 performance fans, two pumps (i added 18w for a third), 2 sata, usb components, capacitor aging, etc.? With all that I recalculated and am at 1140w...
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPanda View Post
    Thanks . I think I'm a bit later than that .

Yup. Just kidding... Hmmm...Partnership/sponsorship from Krylon . Maybe they'll make a special XS Mods line

On a more serious note, here you all go. Painted radiators! I used 2 coats of Krylon Primer and 9 coats of Krylon Satin Bright White spray paint on these. I sanded to 1200 grit in between coats. I really love the semi mirrored finish on them . Mucho sexeh...

Those look GREAT
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4.00Ghz 1.3375(v) F9 BIOS
    2 X 2 GB DDR2 1100 @ 1000 G.Skill PC2-8800
    2 X 500gb GB SATA 2 HD RAID 0
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

My 3DMark Vantage Score 16,444

Pics of my computer

Xtreme Addict
    That still sounds crazy! Either way if you'd like the closure the 1200w is for you

I just hope you get this done :P I wanna see it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Frosty.. excellent paint job.
    Did you end up clear coating the paint or no?
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast