Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVI to VGA Dummy.....56K!

Xtreme Addict

DVI to VGA Dummy.....56K!

Post Edited to eliminate unnecessary steps...

Hey Everybody,

As Ya know, I had some Multi-GPU issues and managed to get them resolved. One of the long-term solutions was making and installing a "VGA Dummy". Very simple and easy to do, so I thought I would share some pix, and put the links in one thread.

Shadowtester's links:

VGA Dummy

FAH folding Forum

Google Diagram:

As stated in the prior thread (linked above): Radioshack apparently does not carry "75 ohm" resistors, but any resistors from ~50-150 ohms will work from what I understand. What I do know is that Radioshack carries 68ohm resistors and they do work.

Instead of using a VGA plug and then having to attach that to a VGA to DVI adapter--I couldn't foresee any reason why I couldn't just use a DVI to VGA adapter.....so, that's what I did:

As can be seen in the picture, I alternated the orientation of the actual ceramic resistors in order to create a "built-in" seperator or divider to help keep the leads from contacting each other.

So far its working Great! I've rebooted with the dummy installed and got exactly what I needed:

Last edited by Naja002; 05-02-2009 at 02:31 AM.

Da Goose
    So the purpose of this is to 'Fool' the GPU into thinking there is a monitor out there? If so, you're a genious...This is exactly what I needed.

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Xtreme Addict
    No Genius here.....just a follower! Thanx goes to Shadowtester for sharing the info in the other thread!

And: Yes. Its to fool the other gpus into thinking that there's a monitor hooked up, so the desktop can be "Extended" in Vista. That's needed in order to get things to work properly with multiple gpus. Check out this thread: Need Multi-GPU Help......56K!

Last edited by Naja002; 09-01-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Xtreme Morke Engel
    This gets asked a lot around here. Sticky?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll be checking that out shortly...

20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Da Goose
    Most excellent....99 cents at radioshack & I'm running... Nice photo's BTW Naja002

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Xtreme Cruncher
    You have too much time on your hands Naja. Or I'm just a lazy S_B. I just doubled over the ends of my resisters and pinched them with needle nose pliers to get a proper interference fit in the existing holes. It only took about 5 minutes a plug and no soldering.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Xtreme Addict
    I understand. I made a 2nd one in probably less than 5 mins. Above is a first timer's approach. I like to try to do somethings right the first time and be done with it. In this case--I've had enough issues with these crunchers that I figured it would be worth the trouble to solder the resistors in and be done with it. I realized the lack of need for all of that, but not until after getting out the dremel. As you can tell from the pix--I didn't bother to solder. The resistor leads fit very snuggly. But I was originally heeding these words:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtester View Post
    A quick and dirty way to make a dummy plug is to just use the dvi to vga adapter and insert the resistors directly into the correct connection holes however its not a real good long term option since nothing except a little friction is holding the resistors and they are not protected from shorting out against each other if one get bent by accident a hooded db15 connector with the resistors soldered in is a much better long term option and not very expensive parts needed run around $5.00 at Radio Shack.
    Shorting against each other is why I decided to alternate the ceramic location. Since I just used a DVI to VGA adapter I still need to figure out some type of "hood" or protective cover. But in its current home--its a very low-traffic area....so, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    would it be ok to wrap the transistors in electrical tape so they dont short?
    I crunch for you Gramps R.I.P.
    Photo:
    Canon T2i(550d) w/ Magic Lantern
    Canon 20mm F/2.8
    Canon 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L
    C&C is always welcome on my photos.

PC
    Asus Crosshair IV Forumla, AMD 1090t-Crunching away @4.1ghz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2,4x2 Musikin Silverline's, Sapphire 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970 and running at 950/1450), Corsair HX650, NZXT Tempest.
    http://500px.com/KodyHungenberg

Xtreme Member
    They are not transistors they are resistors and yes wrapping them with electrical tape would be fine. Another possible better option would be to insert one resistor then use heat shrink tubing on it then do the same on the next and then the final one so each resistor is covered in heat shrink tubing to protect it and prevent possible shorting between each other then to reinforce the entire setup you could use a larger piece of heat shrink tubing and cover the entire end and resistors as well to add strength to it and help prevent any possible shifting of the resistors since they are only friction fitted into the plug.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor 2.4GHz OverClocked 3.321GHz average 42c using SMP F@H Linux Client
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 2048mb x2
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They are not transistors they are resistors and yes wrapping them with electrical tape would be fine. Another possible better option would be to insert one resistor then use heat shrink tubing on it then do the same on the next and then the final one so each resistor is covered in heat shrink tubing to protect it and prevent possible shorting between each other then to reinforce the entire setup you could use a larger piece of heat shrink tubing and cover the entire end and resistors as well to add strength to it and help prevent any possible shifting of the resistors since they are only friction fitted into the plug.
    resistors...lmao woops, thanks for the info and for dealing with my stupidity
    I crunch for you Gramps R.I.P.
    Photo:
    Canon T2i(550d) w/ Magic Lantern
    Canon 20mm F/2.8
    Canon 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L
    C&C is always welcome on my photos.

PC
    Asus Crosshair IV Forumla, AMD 1090t-Crunching away @4.1ghz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2,4x2 Musikin Silverline's, Sapphire 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970 and running at 950/1450), Corsair HX650, NZXT Tempest.
    http://500px.com/KodyHungenberg

Xtreme Cruncher
    So wait... You can't just install a second GPU in non-SLI and non-Crossfire mode and have it fold? You have to fool it into thinking a monitor is attached?

I was thinking about picking up a cheap 8800GT or GS and having that fold in non-SLI/Crossfire on my P5Q-Deluxe for the extra 5kppd. Would I have to do this "mod" to get that to work?

Xtreme Member
    If your going to be using WinXP you will not need the VGA dummy plug but if your going to use Vista yes you need to use a VGA dummy plug to fool vista into thinking you have a monitor connected to the second video card so you can extend the desktop on to the second video card activating it. Also if your going to use multiple Video Cards make sure they have the same number of shaders or you will have problems its best to make sure the cards are exactly the same to maximize production.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor 2.4GHz OverClocked 3.321GHz average 42c using SMP F@H Linux Client

Banned
    You can use the tv out cable that came with your card, plug that in and force tv detection ( works over here atleast ). Other then that, sticky please

Xtreme Addict
    If your going to be using WinXP you will not need the VGA dummy plug but if your going to use Vista yes you need to use a VGA dummy plug to fool vista into thinking you have a monitor connected to the second video card so you can extend the desktop on to the second video card activating it. Also if your going to use multiple Video Cards make sure they have the same number of shaders or you will have problems its best to make sure the cards are exactly the same to maximize production.
    I had to use the Dummy method with XP SP3 and 2x 3870XT cards. Extending it and rebooting still lost it the second 'display'. Used the dummy (with 90 Ohm resistors) and it worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin_The_Martian View Post
    You can use the tv out cable that came with your card, plug that in and force tv detection ( works over here atleast ). Other then that, sticky please
    Confirmed this one working too. Nice one, MTM.

| Asus nVidia 580 GTX @ 850MHz |
    | Windows 7 x64 Ultimate | Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Mac OS X 10.7.2 |
    | Intel Core i7 970 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte X58A-UD9 | 12GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 |
    | HTC HD2 | MIUI 1.10.21 | Android 2.3.7 | TyTung 12.4 Kernel |

New Builds Coming Soon..

Xtreme Addict
    Nice.... Thanx for letting us know and posting it here.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I might have time this weekend to pick up some resistors. Do I have to actually take apart the dvi-vga plug or can I just shove both ends into the appropriot ports? The leads should be long enough...

I might actually need the plug later on and I'd rather not destroy it.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    You do not need to take the DVI adapter apart the resistor ends will shove into the connector spots on the vga port. Just make sure you add some electrical tape to prevent them from shorting against each other and maybe to prevent them from being pulled out by accident. Heat shrink tubing would work for that as well if not better than electrical tape.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Thanks!

I'll have to run out this weekend to pick some up.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    sorry to bring this back.
    question is this still needed .. the only option to run multiple clients on multiple GPU's?
    i just installed a second card but it doesn't show up

The un-extreme XIP
    or just use one on hotplug :/

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme Cruncher
    Still required to extend the desktop. I use a KVM.

Xtreme Addict
    I use 2 inputs on the (same) monitor,plugged into 2 cards (DVI+VGA).
    I also use the HDMIs on the TV,since it has about 5
    Have been stocking on the cables at ~9.99CDN at Ncix (local store,no shipping),over the months.

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bot@xs View Post
    sorry to bring this back.
    question is this still needed .. the only option to run multiple clients on multiple GPU's?
    i just installed a second card but it doesn't show up
    It depends on your OS if you need them or not. The boys will steer you right
    Support Heatware by making purchases through their sponsored links
    Say no to theft, say no to purchasing ES units
    Folding 4 Life | Heatware - Sir_Loin

Xtreme Enthusiast
    running xp pro atm. FAH guide says it would be the best option.
    i'd like to rdp into it and go without any display at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast