Page 128 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2878118125126127128129130131138178 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 4486

Thread: Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors

Xtreme Member
    3.0 of course.
    Changes in Version 3.00

* Core i7 temperature and frequency support including Turbo mode.
    If it ain't broke... fix it until it is.

Xtreme Addict
    jcotran: When version 2.70 was released, the Core i7 was not available yet for me to do any testing with it. Version 2.70 does not properly support them. rge helped me a great deal getting RealTemp 3.00 updated so it works excellent with Core i7. It's definitely time for you to upgrade.

Hey, guys. I just installed my Noctua NP-12U SE1366 (it took a while, because my system was already built and I also spent some time rerouting cables). Before the Noctua, the processor went into PROCHOT long before 100% load even at stock speeds (though with the memory at 1600@8-8-8-24).

Now, with the Noctua, it hovers around 30-40 degrees at idle which is great, IMHO. I have a loaded system with 6 HDDs, one 8800 GTX and some other peripherals.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask for some calibration help regarding Real Temp 3.00:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realtemp1.png 
Views:	760 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	94225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realtemp2.png 
Views:	746 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	94226  
    Last edited by Bludd; 02-05-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Bludd: Core 0 and core 2 are probably pretty accurate. The actual TJMax for core 1 and core 3 might be 4C or 5C higher. Intel says that TJMax is not an exact number and 100C for the Core i7 is a target value that they aim for but actual TJMax can be slightly higher.

Do you have any screen shots at higher temperatures when you were running the original cooler? That would help me judge better how much of your error is slope error and how much is error in TJMax.

The Core i7 sensors are pretty good. I'd just use TJMax 100, 105, 100, 105 and then if you want you could use calibration factors to balance your temperatures at idle. I probably wouldn't bother with the last part since the slope error from core to core doesn't look too bad. It's mostly just TJMax error in my opinion. This is simple and you should end up with more accurate temperatures.

Read rge's calibration method here if you want to get more technical:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=2429

A Core i7, depending on bios and Windows power settings, might idle a couple of degrees cooler than that. Some of the cores might get put to sleep at idle so heat wise at low MHz and low core voltage they might be better than Core 2 Quads but the Core i7 heats up more when you put a load on them.

Run Prime95 Small FFTs for a couple of minutes and see how your cores line up. I usually go full load and then start and stop Prime 95 a few times to see how the cores track between idle and full load. These sensors are not exact so there's not much point in getting too anal about trying to get 100% accurate temperatures out of them.

Edit: Looks like your GPU is putting out some serious heat so remember to open your case when calibrating.

Thanks for the reply, unclewebb and thanks for RealTemp.

I have a Thermaltake Armor+ case which has a 230mm fan in the side panel, so I don't think opening the case would have any effect. I am now running a 8 thread x264 encode and here's a shot of RealTemp (7 minutes into the second encoding pass). Doing this with the stock cooler got me into PROCHOT territory. I am sorry but I don't have screenshot of RealTemp when I was using the stock cooler.

I don't think I'll fiddle with the calibration, since the settings seem to be OK. Rather have a too low TJmax than a too high one.

Shot of the 8 thread x264 encode:

Name:	realtemp3.png 
Views:	743 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	94233  
    Last edited by Bludd; 02-05-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: forgot the screenshot :)

Xtreme Addict
    Congrats on the offical release!

Xtreme Addict
    Bludd: If you used my suggestion about TJMax your screen shot would be showing 60, 60, 59, 60

I use 100, 100, 105, 105 on my Q6600 as posted above. When the 4 cores are equally loaded running Prime Small FFTs, the cores track each other a lot better when set up like that. My Q6600 isn't the only one that seems to have this issue.

Next time you're searching the Core i7 forums, keep an eye on how many of them have core 3 that always reads 5C less at full load than the rest. Either everyone is applying their paste in some funny way or TJMax is being set slightly higher for this core. Not sure why. Someone should ask Intel at the next developer's conference.

Congrats on the offical release!
    Thanks randomizer. It seems like a pretty good release so far except for the two missing cores in Windows Server 2008. That's a work in progress.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 02-05-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Just wanted to pop in and thank unclewebb for his efforts on Real Temp.
    I have watched Real Temp evolve over the last year or so. And it's turned into my favorite program to monitor the temps on all my rigs.

So thanks unclewebb for all your hard work and continuing support on Real Temp.
    (Desktop) Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.8GHz || Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3
    G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 x 1GB) F2-6400CL5D
    eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB Mild OC @ 617/738 || Antec Sonota Case || Antec TPII-430W
    WD6400AAKS 640GB || Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 PCI || Samsung SyncMaster 220wm || Vista Ultimate x64

(Laptop) Dell Vostro 1500 || Core 2 Duo T5270 || G.Skill 4GB ram || X3100 || 160GB HD || 9 cell battery || Vista Home Basic x64

So, here we go again. I've downloaded the new build that you send me via PM, ran it and you can see the result below. It seems that the problem still remain, including the display of APIC ID (marked with a red square). I've started the program for several times, but it showed the same value each time.

My guess (lucky one, I hope) is that the operating system itself is bugging some rutines of that version 3.0. I can't explain myself why the older version (ironically, another beta) is running just fine and the new one don't

Name:	realtemp_4.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	94305  
    Better to fight for something than live for nothing
    US General George Patton

Here's a feature request for Real Temp: I would like an option to minimize the program to the systray on close.

Also, when minimize on close is enabled, right-clicking on RealTemp in the taskbar and selecting close should actually close the program, not minimize it. Bug?
    Last edited by Bludd; 02-06-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
    Here's a feature request for Real Temp: I would like an option to minimize the program to the systray on close.

Also, when minimize on close is enabled, right-clicking on RealTemp in the taskbar and selecting close should actually close the program, not minimize it. Bug?
    Version 3.0 does have the option to minimize on close already.

i7 3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
    240GB HyperX SSD
    EVGA GTX 680 SC+
    X-Fi Fatality
    Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludd View Post
    The Minimize on Close feature seems to work OK for me in RealTemp.

Also, when minimize on close is enabled
    I thought you just said that this feature doesn't exist?

..., right-clicking on RealTemp in the taskbar and selecting close should actually close the program, not minimize it. Bug?
    If you are using the Minimize on Close feature and you select Close in the TaskBar then why should RealTemp exit? The program is just doing what you told it to do. There are 3 ways to exit when you are using Minimize on Close. You can select Exit in the System Tray menu, you can use the ESC key on your keyboard or you can use ALT+F4 which most every Windows program supports.

If you want RealTemp to open up or close down back to the System Tray and your mouse is near the System Tray area, then just double click on one of the temperature icons. You can also select the Minimize option in the System Tray menu. It doesn't get much easier to use than that.

I'm going to be spending my time working on darkzone's problem with his RealTemp / Windows Server bug. I'm curious to understand what's causing it and if I can come up with a fix.

The thing that I don't understand is why APIC ID shows up as 0111 in some of your screen shots darkzone but in one of your screen shots it showed up correctly as 0123 even though two cores were still missing. As I said in my PM message I've got a few things to try this weekend to see if this bug can be fixed. I'll send you another beta version when it's ready.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 02-06-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    The Minimize on Close feature seems to work OK for me in RealTemp.

I thought you just said that this feature doesn't exist?

If you are using the Minimize on Close feature and you select Close in the TaskBar then why should RealTemp exit? The program is just doing what you told it to do. There are 3 ways to exit when you are using Minimize on Close. You can select Exit in the System Tray menu, you can use the ESC key on your keyboard or you can use ALT+F4 which most every Windows program supports.

If you want RealTemp to open up or close down back to the System Tray and your mouse is near the System Tray area, then just double click on one of the temperature icons. You can also select the Minimize option in the System Tray menu. It doesn't get much easier to use than that.
    I think we are talking past each other. RealTemp doesn't minimize to the systray, it minimizes to the taskbar. When minimize on close is enabled, it minimizes to the taskbar. I would like it to minimize to the systray. That is, make a realtemp icon in the systray if the temp. display in the systray is not enabled, and if it is, then RealTemp should "disappear" and the only icon should be the one in the systray that displays the temperature.

Right-clicking on RealTemp in the taskbar doesn't yield an "exit" choice, if it did, I would be happy. Now close just minimizes it to the taskbar when the minimize on close feature is enabled.

Definitions:
    -systray, area near the clock opposite of the start button in WinXP
    -taskbar, the area between the start button and the systray

Xtreme Addict
    Now I understand what you're saying Bludd. I've always assumed most users of RealTemp have at least one temperature icon displayed in the SystemTray area but it would be easy enough to create some more minimize / close options and a picture icon for those that don't.

Thanks. Don't feel you have to hurry, it's not a huge deal, but some improvement that can be made in future versions time allowing.

Min/Hide to Systray/Taskbar Feature Work Great

And Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing.

Congrats Unclewebb for a superb program.
    Last edited by gymenii; 02-06-2009 at 09:20 PM.
    E8600
    GA X48-DS4
    4GB OCZ Platinum LV-1150
    2x Samsung F3 500GB RAID0
    PCS+ AX5870
    LG W2600H-PF
    Lian Li A16B
    Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Hi unclewebb Thanks for updates and thx for new relase

some tests on my rig .. just installed RT 3.0 onto my (multi boot) Asus RE /(b.ver1003) // qx9650/ 2x2gb (a-data) ..aircooled rig
    run it on separate OS's -
    1) Xp pro (32bit) /
    2) Vista HomePrem. sp1 (32bit) and
    3) W7 beta(64bit) 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.iso

so far seems all OK ..hmm i didn't got clear the problem ( upper posted) about ''close minimize'' ok what ever ..
    anyway no problem for me, so far all is ok here .. (ok for me personally )

just ''Ph.shopped'' together screens capped from diff. Os 's on same hW /settings
    all looks OK

only some annoyances .. in W7 beta -- ''RT icons in systry ..(well.. i remember ..it was posted/discussed earlier .. )
    these icons (order) just do not save (or os cannot recall?) their set order .. on next boot,
    or other words (no prob. can drag them into right order).. no big deal .. but this seems OS(w7) problem not RT ..
    anyway .. on others os's like xp -vista - RT 'systry icons' get aligned as they should be in logical order of cores (apic id - 0123).. on every boot up

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?i...pyw1200iv8.png
    -------
    also .. just noticed that Mhz. calc utility (program) get somewhat ? wrong readins here
    specially on vista 32 bit and w7 64bit .. - at same time on XP32bit .. it reads the (fsb, multi.) setings as was set in bios ( currently have no options to test xp64bit and vista 64bit ) sorry if this false alert.. but honest... haven't seen this earlier
    .. only changes in my hw is RAM - replaced current 2gb kit ->to 4gbkit aka (current was 2gb(2x1gb) to-> 2x2gb (4gb)
    just have tested QX9650 @3600 / 9x400 // strap333 / DDR3-1600 with my current (4GB kit ) A-data 2x2gb ram kit ..
    first thought .. could be problem on 32bit os with 4GB .. but later on 64bit w7 - same ''misreading'' appears

so far, at the moment cannot test other ram kits (my def cellshock (2x1gb) 2gb ddr3-14400 kit)
    unfortunately one of the CellShock's modules have ''passed away ''
    so only options currently is this cheap 3x2GB A-data (DDR3-1600G) pc 12800 (nehalem)kit ..
    but using only 2 modules now
    Last edited by i43; 02-07-2009 at 05:07 AM.
    Maximus Extreme / Air // E8400 // Noctua NH-C12P
    Asus 8800 ULTRA /Stock Air/
    G.SKILL F3-10600CL8D-2GBHK
    Tagan TG700-BZ // Antec P182 B

Rampage Extreme / Air // QX9650 // True120 Black
    A-Data DDR3-1600G 3x2gb kit (using 2 modules 2x2b)
    ((CellShock (MSC CS3222580) ) dead
    Sapphire HD 4870x2 (single) stock Air
    Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1KW // HAF'932

Xtreme Addict
    I've tested RT3.00 on XP, Vista and Windows 7 32 & 64 bit and overall everything is pretty good. So far the only major bug is in Windows Server 2008. I'm in the process of upgrading my Visual Studio version and SDK but I don't know if that will fix the Windows Server 2008 missing cores bug. I have a few other options so as long as darkzone is patient, I should be able to come up with a solution for him.

The only RealTemp Windows 7 bug I found is what you mentioned. The System Tray icons do not get lined up in the correct order. The exact same code works 100% in XP and Vista. Presently when software inserts a new icon into the Windows 7 system tray area it can get inserted anywhere and the next one that gets inserted can get inserted either to the left or the right of the previous one so there is no way to get them properly lined up. The final order is random. Most software only inserts one icon into the system tray so maybe someone at Microsoft was hoping that no one would notice. I haven't noticed how Everest v5.00 is working in Windows 7 which inserts a lot more icons than RealTemp does. I'm not going to worry about this issue until Windows 7 final comes out. I sent a bug report to Microsoft but it's hard to say if they'll make any changes. It's probably not very important to them so it might be saved for Win7 - SP2 or SP3 or might be fixed up and sold as a new and improved feature in Win8. If you want this fixed up, more Windows 7 beta testers need to complain.

The Minimize on Close issue is going to be a non-issue for most users. Bludd would like a few more options when he is using the TaskBar option combined with the Minimize on Close option and that's been put on the things to do someday, maybe list.

It looks like my old MHzCalc tool needs an update. The good news is that RealTemp 3.00 appears to be working 100%. 3603.93, 3603.89 and 3603.92 in three different OS versions looks correct. Those are the exact same numbers that the King, CPU-Z, is reporting only RealTemp is a little more consistent.

I found out that after XP, Windows changed the clock generator it uses to calculate time intervals. It looks like in my MHzCalc testing tool, my fix for the bugs of XP don't work very well after Microsoft got around to fixing their clock generator code. Do you use the MHzCalc tool? If so then maybe I'll update it with the code RealTemp is presently using to calculate MHz.

New try with new build, nothing is changed, same issue of two missing cores But, if the older version still working, the right question is what make the newer version to not run correctly? I think the operating system is OK by functionality, I didn't have any problems with it in these 65 days from last shutdown (when I've mounted Musashi on 9800GT), as you can see the uptime in upper right corner.

Name:	realtemp_5.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	94361  
    Last edited by darkzone; 02-07-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Better to fight for something than live for nothing
    US General George Patton

Xtreme Addict
    darkzone: No worries. It probably doesn't seem like it but I'm making progress. I'm finding out all the things that aren't causing this problem.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    I'm finding out all the things that aren't causing this problem.
    The Thomas Edison approach

Xtreme Addict
    Ive been using the 3.00 for a few days now and there are no problems yet on my end, thank you very much for the updated version.

Xtreme Addict
    Your welcome Demo. The issues are pretty minor so far. Hopefully in a day or two I'll figure out what's causing darkzone's problem in Windows Server 2008.

sorry but tried tis program and i thik this may wrong its imposible to me to be 7 degrees, Cº with and ambient temperature of 19º, (i'm watercooled but i think it is not as it shows)

Xtreme Addict
    danielniel: Thank you for providing me with lots of information so I can help you diagnose your problem. Have you read the documentation yet about calibrating and how inaccurate these sensors are at idle? That's always a good place to start.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

Tell me a few more details about what processor you're using, etc., etc.

Page 128 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2878118125126127128129130131138178 ... LastLast