Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Reviews

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
    Yeah, not much. Theirs was also running pretty warm at 80c. I found that my power draw raises quickly as the cards get over 80c due to leakage. With water cooling I took about 30-40watts off each card just from the much lower temps.
    Since when can an undervolted HD 7970 hit 1GHz+?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Trying to prove "whose drivers are better" is a fools errand, because drivers are in a constant state of being improved. (and no one's are perfect)
    It doesn't seem that way with GTX680. Here we are a month and a Fing half after release and quite a few common issues and there has yet to be a single driver update that addresses GTX680 in any way. Needless to say, I'm upset with Nvidia's driver support at the moment.

This is the polar opposite of the experience that I had with 6950 at launch. I will never buy another Nvidia product at launch again.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    It doesn't seem that way with GTX680. Here we are a month and a Fing half after release and quite a few common issues and there has yet to be a single driver update that addresses GTX680 in any way. Needless to say, I'm upset with Nvidia's driver support at the moment.

This is the polar opposite of the experience that I had with 6950 at launch. I will never buy another Nvidia product at launch again.
    That's certainly ironic. I know of tons of people who would pay extra/take the performance hit and buy the Nvidia option just because they offered more stable drivers than ATI. This is pretty much the first time since the 8800gtx that they've truly offered an all around better product and now they screw up the drivers lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    That's certainly ironic. I know of tons of people who would pay extra/take the performance hit and buy the Nvidia option just because they offered more stable drivers than ATI. This is pretty much the first time since the 8800gtx that they've truly offered an all around better product and now they screw up the drivers lol
    Just now? You never used early Windows 7 drivers. Right after they added AO in the Nvidia control panel. They were a mess for months. There was a whole series, including a couple of WHQL drivers where AA didn't even work. The very next driver was the famous card killing driver with broken fan speed control. Look at GTX460, for two months the only available driver was a single beta. Thats with the dpc latency issues with X48/X38 motherboards.

Quite a few people have been having a pretty serious TDR issue for months now that the just seem to have resolved. Luckily I wasn't one of those people.

Nvidia's track record isn't blemish free but for some reason people love to rag on AMD.

Would you like some Pie?
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Since when can an undervolted HD 7970 hit 1GHz+?
    With a more mature manufacturing process? Also, two of mine will do 1100 on 1050mv...
    Xeon W3520 @ 4.0Ghz ~ 3x 7970 ~ 12GB DDR3 ~ Dell U2711

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    this is my first nvidia card and i found a major flaw. the hdmi out uses the signal to determine max audio channels and no way to override it. so im forced with 2 channels because i pass all hdmi through my tv into my receiver. my old ati card worked fine. but now im forced to use a separate optical cable to get around nvidias problem. and this problem is so old its been this way since hdmi was first used on their gpus
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    I also use HDMI for audio, hence sticking to AMD.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With a more mature manufacturing process? Also, two of mine will do 1100 on 1050mv...
    Even if this is true it doesn't necessarily matter. Your case/motherboard/ambient temps/psu/etc may be non typical and a "best case" scenario.

AMD has to produce cards that will run stably all over the world in all kinds of rigs at all sorts of temps - for ALL of their cards. Having half the cards come back won't work.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Even if this is true it doesn't necessarily matter. Your case/motherboard/ambient temps/psu/etc may be non typical and a "best case" scenario.

AMD has to produce cards that will run stably all over the world in all kinds of rigs at all sorts of temps - for ALL of their cards. Having half the cards come back won't work.
    To make it worse, it has to be able to do it in OEM systems like Dell's where the only case fan is on the cheaply made power supply...

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    this is my first nvidia card and i found a major flaw. the hdmi out uses the signal to determine max audio channels and no way to override it. so im forced with 2 channels because i pass all hdmi through my tv into my receiver. my old ati card worked fine. but now im forced to use a separate optical cable to get around nvidias problem. and this problem is so old its been this way since hdmi was first used on their gpus
    I didn't even know about that one... Then again, everyone I know goes stereo to TV and not the other way around. I actually have no choice with my panasonic, since panny TV's will only out-put 2 channel via digital out, which is actually pretty common among TV designers.

Not to down-play your issue, but I can definitely understand how they missed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    I also use HDMI for audio, hence sticking to AMD.
    NVidia hdmi works fine if you run it in the normal Stereo > TV path. It's the TV telling the video card that it can't accept more than 2 channels.
    Last edited by DilTech; 05-09-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    I didn't even know about that one... Then again, everyone I know goes stereo to TV and not the other way around. I actually have no choice with my panasonic, since panny TV's will only out-put 2 channel via digital out, which is actually pretty common among TV designers.

Not to down-play your issue, but I can definitely understand how they missed that one.
    considering i read about it on nvidia forums with them saying they were working on it, i think they should have figured it out by now

i use to have my receiver receive everything until it decided to not like hdmi anymore and i got the same results by just sending it the sound through the tv

Xtreme Addict
    Aren't yours cards under water as well?

Honestly who cares about the performance crown, for the effort and binning, AMD would be better off with 850mhz, 800 dollar 7990 which had good quantitiy.An 1100mhz 7990, would make binning a pain in the ass and it would make quantities just as bad as the gtx 690 if not worse. AMD is better off using pricing and quantity to fight off Nvidia. A truly faster 7990 would simply cause Nvidia to release a faster gtx 695. With the high end cooler on the gtx 680 and the low energy consumption, it would be easy for Nvidia make.However, Nvidia cant counter quantity at this point, so it makes sense for AMD to do this.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Thats the exact issue I've lived with for years now with my family room htpc using a 4850 and samsung lcd tv but in my case it seems the TV gimps the signal down to 2 channel unless its a over the air dtv signal.

Might be worth checking your TV manual to see if you have any settings available for passthrough options that might make it work/compatible with your new video card. In my case the manual is how I found out my particular TV will only pass through 2 channel audio from a digital source. I was totally miffed when I read that but I'm not going to buy a new TV to fix it.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Aren't yours cards under water as well?

Honestly who cares about the performance crown, for the effort and binning, AMD would be better off with 850mhz, 800 dollar 7990 which had good quantitiy.An 1100mhz 7990, would make binning a pain in the ass and it would make quantities just as bad as the gtx 690 if not worse. AMD is better off using pricing and quantity to fight off Nvidia. A truly faster 7990 would simply cause Nvidia to release a faster gtx 695. With the high end cooler on the gtx 680 and the low energy consumption, it would be easy for Nvidia make.However, Nvidia cant counter quantity at this point, so it makes sense for AMD to do this.
    That "under water" aspect would invaildate the whole assertion.

What you say in the second part is what I think they'll do. The question will then be,"Do the buyers of $800 video cards care about spending another $200?".
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    What are you talking about?? nVidia has released a total of 7 driver revisions since the release of the GTX 680. Even though most of them are beta, many do directly address problems that have been submitted. Here's the list of official, beta, and non-official beta driver revisions.
    300.09, 300.83, 301.10, 301.24, 301.25, 301.33, 301.32. 301.34

I think you're being a little over dramatic, and a wee bit dishonest. I ran a google search and it seemed your "perfect" 6950 had stuttering problems, some older games just were broke, etc. Most of your posts involving problems were over at rage3d.com

Btw... considering the 6950 was nothing more than a refresh of the hd5xxx cards, I would have expected a far smoother transition. New architecture always has issues... typically the user error variety.

For some reason, I have not had any issues with my gtx 680. perhaps the fresh install of windows helped.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Thats odd.

Here.... lemme run an HDMI over to my Samsung 46" LED TV and see what happens. I currently run the HDMI through my receiver first. brb.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    That "under water" aspect would invaildate the whole assertion.

What you say in the second part is what I think they'll do. The question will then be,"Do the buyers of $800 video cards care about spending another $200?".
    They actually do I think. The 550 dollars 7970 didn't sell a lick after the gtx 680 at 499 came out, even with no stock. A $480-450 7970 starts to sell again even though it is the worse product because there is stock and the price to performance makes sense again. Personally, I would take a $800 850mz 7900 over 1200 dollar gtx 690(which is the current price with no stock available). The premium cooler is kind of a waste for these cards because they are dying to be water cooled, especially the AMD versions(which are dust busters for noise). And a 7990 under water could take this card no doubt.

The point is a lower price could get fence sitters to jump off the fence waiting for a gtx 690 to come down to msrp and/or become in stock and simply buy a 7990.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    And a 7990 under water could take this card no doubt.
    Unfortunately there is absolutely no chance of AMD being able to put two full speed/featured 7970's on a single PCB to make the 7990. Too much heat, power consumption, etc.

The point is a lower price could get fence sitters to jump off the fence waiting for a gtx 690 to come down to msrp and/or become in stock and simply buy a 7990.
    It typically takes more than that to get someone who is pretty set on buying a GTX 680 to change his purchase and go for "plan B".

-- Alexander Hamilton

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Thats the exact issue I've lived with for years now with my family room htpc using a 4850 and samsung lcd tv but in my case it seems the TV gimps the signal down to 2 channel unless its a over the air dtv signal.

Might be worth checking your TV manual to see if you have any settings available for passthrough options that might make it work/compatible with your new video card. In my case the manual is how I found out my particular TV will only pass through 2 channel audio from a digital source. I was totally miffed when I read that but I'm not going to buy a new TV to fix it.
    i dont think your having the same issue
    i use to use my 4850 or a 4870 to watch video off my pc and plugged directly into the tv.
    the tv is already set for passthrough, but the EDID (i think thats what its called) is still there and amd cards know how to ignore it and you should easily be able to force whatever number of channels you want through the hdmi of your video card.

simple way to find out, go to playback devices, click on the hdmi out for your gpu, and see max supported channels.

btw my tv is a 40" samsung lcd from about 4 years ago and is a basic model

SLC
    NCIX is saying they already got enough orders to cover the next 1-2 months of supply. There is basically zero availability on these cards.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    NCIX is saying they already got enough orders to cover the next 1-2 months of supply. There is basically zero availability on these cards.
    Which was pretty much known from the start. It happened with the GTX 590, HD 6990 and it will happen with every other dual GPU card. Honestly, I think NVIDIA could have sold all of them had they produced 25,000....
    Last edited by SKYMTL; 05-10-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    What are you talking about?? nVidia has released a total of 7 driver revisions since the release of the GTX 680. Even though most of them are beta, many do directly address problems that have been submitted. Here's the list of official, beta, and non-official beta driver revisions.
    300.09, 300.83, 301.10, 301.24, 301.25, 301.33, 301.32. 301.34
    I think that you're the one being a little dishonest. 301.10 was released on launch day at Nvidia's website, the only other driver available on Nvidia's website is 301.24 which has no mention of GTX680 in the release notes. I don't care about developer drivers that stem from a different branch than the drivers that I'm currently using. If I can't see a change log then I'm not installing.

Most importantly, what improvements has Nvidia made for Kepler since GTX680 launched a month and a half ago and they released 301.10? They always list these things in the drivers release notes, btw.

I think you're being a little over dramatic, and a wee bit dishonest. I ran a google search and it seemed your "perfect" 6950 had stuttering problems, some older games just were broke, etc. Most of your posts involving problems were over at rage3d.com

I see that I offended you and that you really want to grab at straws to defend that 680 that you just bought.

What did I saw about the 6950s? That I saw a little microstutter in Crysis and Metro 2033 when running at settings that I can't even do with the 680? GTA4 ran like crap? At least there is a work around for that unlike with the 680. And Darkplaces didn't run all that well? I don't remember saying much else. Those issues are mild compared to what I see on the 680. I've said it before and I'll say it again I never ran into a gamebreaking issue with cayman. I can't say that about GTX680 right now.

Guess what? Those cards that you love aren't perfect and Nvida's driver support has been subpar so far.

Btw... considering the 6950 was nothing more than a refresh of the hd5xxx cards, I would have expected a far smoother transition. New architecture always has issues... typically the user error variety.
    You might want to read about Cayman to see why you are wrong. Its a completely different architecture than Cypress. Its not like GTX480 and 580.

For some reason, I have not had any issues with my gtx 680. perhaps the fresh install of windows helped.
    Yup, Battlefield 3 works so that means that all is well.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 05-10-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Hell Newegg hasn't had a 680 in stock for nearly 2 months since release on March 22nd

Here let me go look nope out of 7 manufactures listed for the 680 much less a 690 NONE IN STOCK

I was wishing on a 1100mhz 7990 since I would put it on water but a 1K 6990 should be doable. Make a bunch and undercut NV and rake in the cash.

7970 is faster than a 680 on Crysis engine which I mainly use anyways.

BUT where the hell is the 7990 ???????
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Member
    At least everybody else will get there cards before Aus. Then again, looking on pccasegear, they are there for the low low price of $1599...
    i7-3770k / Maximus V Extreme / G.Skill Trident X 2400 2x4gb 10-12-12-31-2N / 2x Sapphire 7970 Dual X OC / 4x Samsung 830 128GB / Corsair HX1000

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iboomalot View Post
    Hell Newegg hasn't had a 680 in stock for nearly 2 months since release on March 22nd
    Thats throwing out a big assumption...

Autonotify, newegg gets stock of the 680's but if you are not on the autonotify listing or don't hit the site at just the right time they sell out soon after they are listed.

The most recent notify I got was on 5/9/2012 for the Asus 680 and it sold out not long after I got the notice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newegg680.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	126611

2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    i dont think your having the same issue
    i use to use my 4850 or a 4870 to watch video off my pc and plugged directly into the tv.
    the tv is already set for passthrough, but the EDID (i think thats what its called) is still there and amd cards know how to ignore it and you should easily be able to force whatever number of channels you want through the hdmi of your video card.

simple way to find out, go to playback devices, click on the hdmi out for your gpu, and see max supported channels.

btw my tv is a 40" samsung lcd from about 4 years ago and is a basic model
    I guess I worded it wrong, I was meaning more or less gimped to 2 channel audio with the pass through due to something seemingly retarded. It made better sense to me to use the tv for source switching and simply pass through the audio to the receiver when I wanted surround since I don't want to use my receiver for everything. My TV is the ln52a550 and is roughly the same age as yours but after struggling with it for a long while I gave up after what I read in the manual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	retardedtv.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	126612