Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RV775XT and PRO have 840 SP?

Xtreme Addict
    As much as I would like for this to be true, I don't see this as being true. Reiterating what others have mentioned:
    • The extra 40 shaders don't fit with their current cluster size. And, the Shader/TMU ratio would be of-set.
      In order to get those kinds of core clocks, they would have needed to go back, pick apart the architecture and try and optimize current leaks.
      512mb? If they really don't think that 1GB isn't very important, then why would they even bother creating an official 4870 1GB version?

Just a few quick points, but unfortunatly, I doubt this as truth.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    As much as I would like for this to be true, I don't see this as being true. Reiterating what others have mentioned:
    • The extra 40 shaders don't fit with their current cluster size. And, the Shader/TMU ratio would be of-set.
      In order to get those kinds of core clocks, they would have needed to go back, pick apart the architecture and try and optimize current leaks.
      512mb? If they really don't think that 1GB isn't very important, then why would they even bother creating an official 4870 1GB version?

Just a few quick points, but unfortunatly, I doubt this as truth.
    What about 960 stream/48TMU ? Ratio is fine .It could be an option for a 40nm shrink.
    The above is just one very far fetched possibility since the die area didn't increase that much from the report we saw in OP.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    What about 960 stream/48TMU ? Ratio is fine .It could be an option for a 40nm shrink.
    The above is just one very far fetched possibility since the die area didn't increase that much from the report we saw in OP.
    True, but this would mean that RV870 is delayed, which wouldn't be a logical gamble for ATI. Risk GT200b beating a 40nm refresh, and have a longer wait to RV870 than if they forgo a refresh?
    It WOULD however follow their "new strategy", that they announced awhile back. I think that it was around every 6 months alternating new arch/new refresh?

One thing that I found kind of interesting, concerning the redundancy debate, is that when you look at a die shot of Rv770 detailing the chips internals, there is possibility for their argument, at least as far as shaders go. If you look to the left of the "SIMD group", it looks almost like there are 4 extra shaders per group. X10, and we would get the extra 40. If you don't see it, look at the pattern.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Cruncher
    True, but this would mean that RV870 is delayed, which wouldn't be a logical gamble for ATI. Risk GT200b beating a 40nm refresh, and have a longer wait to RV870 than if they forgo a refresh?
    It WOULD however follow their "new strategy", that they announced awhile back. I think that it was around every 6 months alternating new arch/new refresh?

One thing that I found kind of interesting, concerning the redundancy debate, is that when you look at a die shot of Rv770 detailing the chips internals, there is possibility for their argument, at least as far as shaders go. If you look to the left of the "SIMD group", it looks almost like there are 4 extra shaders per group. X10, and we would get the extra 40. If you don't see it, look at the pattern.
    I think you are right,there seems to be 4 extra shaders per group.Now,if they can be active with the rest or can be used just for redundancy purposes is unknown atm.It would be nice if 840SP rumor is true,but honestly how much more perf. these 40 stream units can bring?20% more TMUs and higher core clocks on the other hand can be more effective.

What about if they get rid of the tessellator? That could explain the decrease in transistors count too. Right?
    ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
    Phenom II X2 555 BE (4 cores unlocked)
    Sapphire 6770 1GB
    G.Skill RipJaws 2 x 2GB 1600MHZ cl7
    480 watt Topower/Tagan Power supply
    Thermaltake Soprano
    24" 1920x1080 BenQ G2410HD
    MAXTOR 500GB 32MB x2
    BenQ DW1650 16x Dvd burner

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    40nm and RV870 is simply too close. Or even in the case. 40nm Rv770 in Q2 if we assume no RV870. It just doesnt make sense to do any addons whatever. Plus the specs shown doesnt match anything. It looks to be some random forum posters wish as usual.

If AMD gonna do anything until 40nm. It would be a simple respin only for higher clocks. But even that...for a few months on the market?
    Dear god, you agree with me. I am convinced the world is coming to an end.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    I think you are right,there seems to be 4 extra shaders per group.Now,if they can be active with the rest or can be used just for redundancy purposes is unknown atm.It would be nice if 840SP rumor is true,but honestly how much more perf. these 40 stream units can bring?20% more TMUs and higher core clocks on the other hand can be more effective.
    It's not... RV770 has only 800SP, just like G80 only had 128.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo² View Post
    What about if they get rid of the tessellator? That could explain the decrease in transistors count too. Right?
    Can't...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast

The problem is, even if the RV870 is delayed and they are going to the 'tick/tock' model of releasing products there is still an issue with inventory. I think there are still plenty of RV7xx generation boards out on the market with a good amount of supply. To release a new chip would certainly be canniblelistic on their already created chips. Then, by the time you get a good supply for this 'new' chip, the RV870 should be out, again running into problems with inventory and the like.

I don't see any reason AMD would NEED to have something until the RV870. Their chips are smaller and cards are cheaper to make. If Nvidia comes out of the blocs, AMD will just throw a price war at them. Then just make a splash for the RV870.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It could, but I hope they didn't, since there might be some use for it in DX11 titles. If you ask me, enabling disabled "repair" units, getting rid of sideport, and some general tweaking should be enough to make the transistor count plausible. Not nearly as drastic as G70 -> G71 at least. 512MB looks suspicious, but if anything means that ATI is thinking of launching 512MB cards along with the 1024MB cards. Changing the ALU:TEX ratio makes sense since R600/R700 is a little lopsided towards shading power anyway. I don't have a problem reconciling the clock speed increase seeing as NVIDIA's 1.4 Billion Transistor chip built on a larger process gets better clockspeed/watt so there are probably some architectural problems that would be a priority for ATI to fix in both RV775 and RV880. Overall, I think the specs look credible, but as we know with ATI rumors whether or not something looks credible doesn't always mean a whole lot.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Please dont try and curve this faked news into something so it fits some hopes. We already have enough hype.

Shader amount doesnt mix, transistor count doesnt mix, clock and process node doesnt mix. Shader/TMU ratio doesnt mix. Even memory doesnt mix.

Is there even anything that do mix?
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    LOL @ RV870 Q4 09.

I love ATI PR.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, 800 SP and 40 TMU chip with 260 mm^2 die size didn't exactly mix quite well too, but look who had to eat his hat saying nVidia would rule the market unchallenged in 2008.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There is talk about one card before lil' dragon but it's not this one from what I can tell.

Fudzilla is not far from the truth with its 40nm story.

//Andreas

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH|Delph1 View Post
    There is talk about one card before lil' dragon but it's not this one from what I can tell.

Fudzilla is not far from the truth with its 40nm story.

//Andreas
    What else have you heard? I've been watching NH and it seems like you guys have quite good intel (not the semiconductor company) on AMD/ATI products. Is the RV740 (that's what you guys called it back in July) going to be big upgrade from RV770? By looking at the name it shouldn't be? Is it going to be a mainstream product (around 4670 performance)?

Xtreme Member
    afaik mainstream, between hd4670 and hd4830

pure volume product and small die size
    ideal to test 40nm process on
    system:

Phenom II 920 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v, benchstable @ over 3,6Ghz (didnt test higher)
    xigmatek achilles
    sapphire hd4870 1gb @ 820 1020
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    8gb a-data 4-4-4-12 800
    x-fi xtrememusic
    rip 2x 160gb maxtor(now that adds up to 4...)
    320gb/250gb/500gb samsung

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by marten_larsson View Post
    What else have you heard? I've been watching NH and it seems like you guys have quite good intel (not the semiconductor company) on AMD/ATI products. Is the RV740 (that's what you guys called it back in July) going to be big upgrade from RV770? By looking at the name it shouldn't be? Is it going to be a mainstream product (around 4670 performance)?
    Update coming, I just want to confirm things. If I posted every little tip I get I would end up with a bruised reputation and have about as much credibility as ... well some other sites posting information on pre-released products

//Andreas

Xtreme Addict
    Then maybe you should create a NordicHardware rumor mill where all sorts of rumors end up. Would be fun to see what the imagination of some can be like .
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    Then maybe you should create a NordicHardware rumor mill where all sorts of rumors end up. Would be fun to see what the imagination of some can be like .
    No Rumor mill coming but I have a different solution that should do about the same thing

//Andreas

According to ATIforum, there won't be a 55nm refresh of the rv770. Fudzilla also has this news posted as well.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah Fudo picked it up too.It is quite logical that the next refresh of RV770 will be done on 40nm process.

Xtreme Addict
    ugh, i was hoping make a nice christmas present of RV870.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovnaft View Post
    ugh, i was hoping make a nice christmas present of RV870.
    Umm, RV870 is the next gen series with DX11 support not the refresh they're talking about. Don't hope it's true that they're aiming RV870 for as late as Q4 2009, that seems like too far away but it wouldn't be very suprising with ATI/AMD. Nvidia's cards aimed for "back-to-the-school-timeframe" I'm pretty sure of though so they'll prolly have some month's advantage. It's the INQ tho so I won't put too much trust in that article but if Q4 is the real target for next gen then it would make sense with a RV775 refresh in like February-April timeframe. Oh well let the cards arrive when they do, no need to speculate.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 12-15-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Umm, RV870 is the next gen series with DX11 support not the refresh they're talking about. Don't hope it's true that they're aiming RV870 for as late as Q4 2009, that seems like too far away but it wouldn't be very suprising with ATI/AMD. With Nvidia's cards aimed for "back-to-the-school-timeframe" I'm pretty sure of. It's the INQ tho so I won't put too much trust in that article but if Q4 is the real target for next gen then it would make sense with a RV775 refresh in like February-April timeframe. Oh well let the card
    I think we will be getting a refresh, but probably the refresh will be a little later and will be made on TSMC's 40 nm. process. Just my guess though, but I think it's pretty accurate.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Umm, RV870 is the next gen series with DX11 support not the refresh they're talking about. Don't hope it's true that they're aiming RV870 for as late as Q4 2009, that seems like too far away but it wouldn't be very suprising with ATI/AMD. Nvidia's cards aimed for "back-to-the-school-timeframe" I'm pretty sure of though so they'll prolly have some month's advantage. It's the INQ tho so I won't put too much trust in that article but if Q4 is the real target for next gen then it would make sense with a RV775 refresh in like February-April timeframe. Oh well let the cards arrive when they do, no need to speculate.
    dx11 is working on the 3xxx and 4xxx with win7 right now, u just need a fully programmable shader (or driver or bios, forgot how NV dose theirs something with drivers and cuda but ati is software fully programmable), and it has support for an options teslation engine that ati has as they are fully dx10.1

then the other part the r600, rv670 and rv770 were all scheduled for late q3/q4 and depending on how the dev cycle went they were out early or late so its up for grabs what the real time frame is
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast