Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: keyboard holygrail - Wireless and backlit keyboard by Logitech

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Almost. Almost. Holy grail for me would be mechanical, wireless, ergonomic split-half and backlit. I'd settle for mechanical, wireless and ergonomic though.
    A mechanical, ergonomic, split-half keyboard is all anyone really needs. Why have something else that needs to take up a plug socket? Also, a wireless keyboard isn't ideal if you game online (BC2,etc).
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 08-18-2010 at 05:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    A mechanical, ergonomic, split-half keyboard is all anyone really needs. Why have something else that needs to take up a plug socket? Also, a wireless keyboard isn't ideal if you game online (BC2,etc).
    Not sure what your point is about "tak(ing) up a plug socket" - a USB port is going to be used regardless of whether the keyboard is wireless or wired

As for online gaming, I find the latency introduced by a wireless keyboard to be perfectly acceptable given the distances between receiver and keyboard. I wouldn't use it for competitive play at a LAN or anything, but for the gaming I do online I hardly ever notice the difference. Wireless does not necessarily equal bad - for example my Mamba shows no difference between wired and wireless modes.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

I am Xtreme
    Not sure what your point is about "tak(ing) up a plug socket" - a USB port is going to be used regardless of whether the keyboard is wireless or wired

As for online gaming, I find the latency introduced by a wireless keyboard to be perfectly acceptable given the distances between receiver and keyboard. I wouldn't use it for competitive play at a LAN or anything, but for the gaming I do online I hardly ever notice the difference. Wireless does not necessarily equal bad - for example my Mamba shows no difference between wired and wireless modes.
    Simple, I find wireless devices like that gimmicky and for the most part need power in order for them to properly operate. Which is why I said it needs a plug socket. As for gaming, NO. The last thing I want to worry about (again) is charging such devices. Therefore, I'm not interested in them as I've already been through that before.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 08-18-2010 at 06:10 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    UPDATE

The K800 has backlit keys, which is great for those who type in dark environments and the keys are laser etched. The keyboard also uses the Logitech PerfectStroke key system for comfortable typing.

The keyboard has a proximity detection system that turns on the backlight when it senses your hand nearby to save battery power. The keyboard is rechargeable and can be used while it is changing up with a small micro USB cable. The wireless technology uses 2.4GHz connectivity and the backlighting can be dimmed to suit your needs. The little receiver used is the Logitech Unifying receiver and it will work with any compatible Logitech mice as well. The keyboard will sell for $99.99 and can be preordered right now.
    http://www.slashgear.com/logitech-un...-k800-1898054/

It wasn't too long ago that we were pondering the relative scarcity of backlit desktop keyboards, so let's all warmly welcome a new entrant into this niche category. The K800 from Logitech picks up where the wired Illuminated Keyboard left off: it has the requisite inflated price, adjustable and intelligent illumination to please functionalists, and a dagger-like profile for aesthetes. Ambient light sensors will align the keyboard's brightness to your environment, while proximity detectors will only flip the switch when your hands are in position to start writing. There's also a Micro USB cable to refresh your battery when it starts running low -- it's rated for up to 10 days of wireless use -- but whether this whole package of smart convenience is worth the $99.99 we'll leave up to you. The K800 should be shipping out later this month,
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/l...-lig/#comments
    Last edited by geo; 08-18-2010 at 06:19 AM.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Simple, I find wireless devices like that gimmicky and for the most part need power in order for them to properly operate. Which is why I said it needs a plug socket. As for gaming, NO. The last thing I want to worry about (again) is charging such devices. Therefore, I'm not interested in them as I've already been through that before.
    I have never owned a wireless device for my PC that required a power plug from the wall - this would entirely defeat the "wireless" part. And this keyboard doesn't require one either, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

As for charging - my Mamba has sufficient charge for about six hours of continuous gaming, and should you exceed that you can simply plug in the mini-USB cable to continue on in wired mode - which is how this keyboard will work as well. My wireless keyboard runs on batteries, and gets about nine months 12/7 usage from two AA batteries (it also flashes at you when charge is getting low). Running out of charge has never been a problem, and really doesn't ever have the potential to be one.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme CCIE
    If that's the holy grail I think that makes me the antichrist. Or a monkeys uncle. This kind of keyboard fits handily into the "all flash and no substance" category, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting this in the same category as a $15 keyboard covered in superbright LED's for bling, that would be an insult. As far as illuminated gaming keyboards go, this thing looks like it is certifiably "next gen". I would even go so far as to say that it caters to a market and will be a hit in its crowd.

HOWEVER. To claim this is the "holy grail" of keyboards is a huge statement, and so I feel justified in cutting it down viscously . A holy grail keyboard would have no particular features to speak ill of, and this is FAR from that mark.

@El Maņo/Others - Anytime you want to throw-down typing skills on a pro-grade keyboard versus a laptop-style keyboard like this one come see me. I guarantee you that a true quality keyboard would out-type this thing left, right, and center, and that's not because of "familiarity". Mechanical keyboards offer tactile response and, optionally, audible feedback - two things this keyboard specifically does NOT offer - meaning that I know when to lift my finger immediately once the required depth has been reached and I don't have to bottom-out to do so. In addition, those responses provide me queues that I can use to set up a better rhythm. Further, my keyboard has a natural step in it, ensuring that keys are equidistant from my fingertips... boards like this extend you more/less depending on what row you're on. It all adds up to a slower machine. Just to add insult to injury, even if we were to decide the performance was equal, if we were (eg.) playing a competitive game you're still dead and I'm looking for victim #2. Why? N-key rollover; unsupported on this keyboard.

And that doesn't even get into the fact that a true holy grail (to me) would also include a wired PS2 option in addition to USB wired for battery charging and wireless (for those who want N-key rollover), a switch to change keyboard layouts (eg. from QWERTY to DVORAK), and have a slot for add-on options such as foot pedals (full-body typing is the ultimate hack). I am on the fence about the ergonomic cut though, as to me if you're going to go ergonomic you might as well go full-out and get a Kinesis. So maybe two SKU's, one that's ergonomic and one that isn't. Including, of course, all the fancy lights and such that this one has (with an option to turn them off). Oh, and interchangable power packs, like was found with some Logitech mice where the receiver is a receiver/charging station for a battery pack so that you can swap out the cartridge through a slot on the side/back in 8 seconds or less.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

I am Xtreme
    I have never owned a wireless device for my PC that required a power plug from the wall - this would entirely defeat the "wireless" part. And this keyboard doesn't require one either, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

As for charging - my Mamba has sufficient charge for about six hours of continuous gaming, and should you exceed that you can simply plug in the mini-USB cable to continue on in wired mode - which is how this keyboard will work as well. My wireless keyboard runs on batteries, and gets about nine months 12/7 usage from two AA batteries (it also flashes at you when charge is getting low). Running out of charge has never been a problem, and really doesn't ever have the potential to be one.
    And this is the gimmick I'm speaking off. The truth of it is that regardless if this device uses an adapter or not I do not want a keyboard that needs to be charged. Heck, this device doesn't even offer swappable battery packs (just in case the battery goes bad). It's a complete inconvenience, not necessary if the keyboard is only a few feet from the computer and can do without the lag wireless brings. Therefore, I have no reason to switch to such a device.

While you talk about a 6 hours of use I'm coming from a keyboard that last for several years which is a sharp difference between what you are willing to tolerate and what I am willing to tolerate. That's the difference. When a person turns on their computer the last thing one needs to worry about is battery life in order to type. And no matter how much you embellish from "your keyboard" you are responding to someone who also had those devices. I got rid of them because they simply aren't worth it if you have a stationary setup.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 08-18-2010 at 07:04 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme X.I.P.
    normal? it looks really cheap...
    and a wireless keyboard? why?
    so somebody can hack it and capture all your passwords? pure genius!
    seriously, why ever moves his keyboard around? thats just as pointless as wireless displays... you never move this kind of stuff around so who cares if it has a wire or not...

Nerdy Powerlifter

Its not an IBM, so I could care less. I less than three this keyboard.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post

I've never seen a desktop keyboard with a trackpad nipple

IBM does make a nice keyboard. But the keyboard on my Sony laptop is by far the best I've used, my only complaint is that it's a little loud.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yeah sony laptops have nice keyboards... feels like your fingers are flying...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can't believe anyone still makes a keyboard the size of a cricket bat.
    Lucky I bought several of these before they stopped making them.

http://www.directron.com/btc6100.html

Xτræmε ĮruņcheΓ

keyboard thread

i raise you one:

(not mine, but i have one)

anyway, this is the holy grail:

backlighting not applicable
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 08-18-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Banned
    I love the old IBM keyboards...

But after buying and trying nearly $1k in keyboards over the last 4~5 years I found pure joy.. called the Deck. (found here)

Each key has it's own led and it has many illumination settings. Solid build and the last keyboard I will ever need.

Xtreme Addict
    I'd like to have a UltraX with backlit keys and better materials used for the silver part. My UltraX is probably not even 2 years old and pretty much all the silver in the front has worn of already. I don't need wireless or ergonomic stuff. And i want big ENTER, not these small ones.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    If that's the holy grail I think that makes me the antichrist. Or a monkeys uncle. This kind of keyboard fits handily into the "all flash and no substance" category, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting this in the same category as a $15 keyboard covered in superbright LED's for bling, that would be an insult. As far as illuminated gaming keyboards go, this thing looks like it is certifiably "next gen". I would even go so far as to say that it caters to a market and will be a hit in its crowd.
    I can definitely agree w/ this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post

But after buying and trying nearly $1k in keyboards over the last 4~5 years I found pure joy.. called the Deck. (found here)

Each key has it's own led and it has many illumination settings. Solid build and the last keyboard I will ever need.
    If each key has its own LED why is there so much bleeding going on? Lighting doesn't look any better than most cheap LED keyboards. I'd much rather go w/ a Filco keyboard than a Deck. Don't look near as cheap.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll stick with my IBM Model M 1391401 with the 12 foot cord
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    I've seen a lot of other kbs with big keys like this Dell but they all seem to have a sharp edge in front, my KeyTronic has a tiny slope at the front making it perfect to rest your wrist against at when the KB is at the edge of the table, which is an important detail to me.
    Wow. Is this the way you are typing? Without being able to rest your palms?! That must be stressfull, isn't it?

[IMG]http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/files/attach/images/32774/675/379/PC242634.JPG[./IMG]

The one above looks like a Rapid Access 2. I have one of those.

@El Maņo/Others - Anytime you want to throw-down typing skills on a pro-grade keyboard versus a laptop-style keyboard like this one come see me. I guarantee you that a true quality keyboard would out-type this thing left, right, and center, and that's not because of "familiarity". Mechanical keyboards offer tactile response and, optionally, audible feedback - two things this keyboard specifically does NOT offer - meaning that I know when to lift my finger immediately once the required depth has been reached and I don't have to bottom-out to do so. In addition, those responses provide me queues that I can use to set up a better rhythm. Further, my keyboard has a natural step in it, ensuring that keys are equidistant from my fingertips... boards like this extend you more/less depending on what row you're on. It all adds up to a slower machine.
    You've got some good points there. But I wasn't talking about the editors of the New York Times :p I was talking about normal guys who write maybe a few thousand letters a day. A couple of weeks back I tested my skills and got to 560 letters a minute / 100 words without any error on a laptop-style keyboard.

Just to add insult to injury, even if we were to decide the performance was equal, if we were (eg.) playing a competitive game you're still dead and I'm looking for victim #2. Why? N-key rollover; unsupported on this keyboard.
    I've been gaming just fine on my notebook-style Apple-Keyboard for many years now The n-key rollover on this model is only needed for volume control and the like.
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 08-18-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post

that is a nice kb!!! will it send multiple keystrokes at once? i need a keyboard (computer) that i can use as a keyboard (piano).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Wow. Is this the way you are typing? Without being able to rest your palms?! That must be stressfull, isn't it?
    You aren't suppose to rest your palms when typing. It is hard on your wrists. No keyboards should have palm rests in a perfect world.

Xtreme Mentor
    I like the look but the led’s don’t do anything for me. I’ve been using a diNova Edge and MX Revolution for a couple of years now and they have been great. The battery stays charged for ages and they are well made and robust. I hate wires so wireless works great for me.
    The Holy Grail for me would be a silent keyboard. It drives me nuts when I’m trying to concentrate and all I can hear is people clunking away on their keyboard in the background. I guess we all have to have are weird quirks.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I rest the palm against the edge of the table and the top drawer especially when gaming and using mainly w,a,s,d area and elbow rests on the chairarm. I find it more comfortable than when I'm in school and resting the palm against the tables even, so no it isn't stressful to me, the opposite. I don't like to use big palm rests either for the kb, some of the KBs in school have such and I generally feel like I would wanna remove them. So for me, a KB with a sloped front side standing in-line with table edge + chair armrests for elbow works best, I spend most of my day in front of comp typing and gaming and I've NEVER had sore palms, wrists or anything but I have pretty long fingers and with this position I reach w,a,s,d keys area perfectly.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 08-18-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    I can definitely agree w/ this statement.

If each key has its own LED why is there so much bleeding going on? Lighting doesn't look any better than most cheap LED keyboards. I'd much rather go w/ a Filco keyboard than a Deck. Don't look near as cheap.
    Those photos are terrible... but, each cap is laser etched.

I do not like back-lit keys, because it defeats the actual purpose, of trying to SEE the keys. In the dark when playing, if you have back-lit keys your eyes narrow from the light and it's harder to see the actual key. Thus my search for a keyboard that illuminates the actual characters.

The Deck on the brightest setting lights up the whole backplane under the keyboard with a warm glow.. but the actual characters are so vivid and intense, it is still functional.

I use a 4th setting (out of 7, I think).. & btw I owned a filco, there is no diff in quality (Cherry switches), but they key layout on the deck is more traditional.
    Last edited by Xoulz; 08-18-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    that is a nice kb!!! will it send multiple keystrokes at once? i need a keyboard (computer) that i can use as a keyboard (piano).
    Yes, unlimited keystrokes! (i have the serial cord)

Banned
    Logitech has a wired version, which, IMO, is superior. No stupid batteries.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/keyboa...d/devices/4740

Yeah, small function keys, but I hardly ever use them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast