Thread: POT: How to set up before voltmod

Xtreme Member

POT: How to set up before voltmod

Ok I got a 1K ohm trimpot, from radio shack and I rember there is a direction you turn it to get it' highest resistance. Whitch way would that be.

Also when i test the OHMs I get like 52 ohms and when I turn the other way it will drop to another ohm set is that how they work.
    FOLD for XS WCG ; or Rodzilla kills a kitten

c[_]
    Choose which pins you want to use. Turn the potentiometer so its maximum resistance is created between these two pins.

Usually I use the two closest the screw on the end that you turn. I believe you need to turn it to the left to increase the resistance between those two pins but I cant remember right now....

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

D-m.o.s.t
    The middle pin is "base" ,and close to the screw is the best one ....why? because turning to the right is increase voltage. (lower resistance)

so take base (middle) and the one close to the screw, but remember....always measure if you have the highest resistance before soldering on the hardware.
    Last edited by Rol-Co; 01-01-2008 at 04:41 AM.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Middle pin is called wiper Rol-Co
    It doesn't matter which ones you choose ( as long as you use the middle one ), but yeah, first ( under the screw ) and wiper is nice

And like STEvil said, tune the VR for maximum resistance ( higher Ohms )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    Thanks guys I used all of your suggestions and i now have a very nicely voltmodded 8800GTX. I am letting it be at 1.29V for now till I learn more.

D-m.o.s.t
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Middle pin is called wiper Rol-Co
    It doesn't matter which ones you choose ( as long as you use the middle one ), but yeah, first ( under the screw ) and wiper is nice

And like STEvil said, tune the VR for maximum resistance ( higher Ohms )
    tnx m8, don't realy care how its called, just tried to explain it easy so he won't kill his vga.

@mukmaster
    good luck, and watch the heat....

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol-Co View Post
    tnx m8, don't realy care how its called, just tried to explain it easy so he won't kill his vga.

@mukmaster
    good luck, and watch the heat....
    Hope you didn't misinterpreted my post, I didn't mean any offense/insult
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

I am Xtreme
    I always cut of off one of the outer pins before soldering.

If you're accidentally soldering to the wrong leg you just soldered a 0 ohm VR instead of one with maximum resistance.

So basically, cutting one leg off, measuring/setting maximum resistance, soldering.

I like to cut the legs a bit shorter to approx. 4mm, just because it looks neat and finish off with small shrink tube, the VR itself gets glued to the pcb with hotglue.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I always cut of off one of the outer pins before soldering.

If you're accidentally soldering to the wrong leg you just soldered a 0 ohm VR instead of one with maximum resistance.

So basically, cutting one leg off, measuring/setting maximum resistance, soldering.

I like to cut the legs a bit shorter to approx. 4mm, just because it looks neat and finish off with small shrink tube, the VR itself gets glued to the pcb with hotglue.
    Thnk you I did all that you said and the mod went terrific. PICs soon

I am Xtreme
    Glad to see things worked out fine.

Have fun with it.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T