Thread: Marvell readying quad-core ARMs

I am Xtreme

Cool Marvell readying quad-core ARMs

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/
    Chipmaker Marvell claims it has developed the industry's first quad-core ARM processor. The unnamed CPU apparently uses the same architecture as the company's recently announced Armada 600 and it can be clocked at more than 1GHz.

The outfit plans to market the new processor as a consumer and gaming solution, but it's still a bit vague and it hasn't revealed much in terms of projected performance, pricing or availability dates for that matter.

Quad core in a $200 smartbook anyone?
    Just... are there any applications for smartbooks that can take advantage of 4 cores? I seriously doubt that.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    that would be very interesting!!

can the arm cpu's be used in other things? i.e. robotics?

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Addict
    or a really fast SSD controller? Maybe on a nice router so it can handle tons of connections...
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Remember that we're Xtreme Systems, not Mainstream Systems. Quad cores launching? Why are there no cries for octal core ARM chips yet?!

Seriously though, yes, it would be pretty kickin' for a robot controller. If power is good, maybe start slipping them in PDAs and smart phones?
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    so now we can play back 4+ 1080P streams on netbooks with 720P displays?

Xtreme Member
    Quad core ARM processors could make some awesome low-power routers!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Necetra View Post
    I think they are aiming this more towards the enterprise business. A really good application of this chip would be in storage array controllers.

Xtreme Cruncher

??

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Addict
    Being a RISC based CPU ARM should scale better than CORE but in the end I fear Total Annihilation: The Core and the Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Necetra View Post
    I'd want one of those, for sure, or as a firewall if one could install pfSense on it
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    or a really fast SSD controller? Maybe on a nice router so it can handle tons of connections...
    why not a ton of data at extremely fast rates
    forget dual band N transmissions
    im talking quad band XFGH band
    lol
    that freq almost sounds legit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Remember that we're Xtreme Systems, not Mainstream Systems. Quad cores launching? Why are there no cries for octal core ARM chips yet?!

Seriously though, yes, it would be pretty kickin' for a robot controller. If power is good, maybe start slipping them in PDAs and smart phones?
    I love your posts dude! They are not mean at all ( all the contrary) and are funny

on topic: I can wait for it to come out as long as it is needed ( and I will max its juice when it comes out)
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    Being a RISC based CPU ARM should scale better than CORE but in the end I fear Total Annihilation: The Core and the Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination
    Awesome.
    Core i7 920, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 5850 [CF coming soon], 6GB OCZ Platinum, Corsair 40GB Force, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Silverstone OP1000, Dell XPS Studio Case.

Alienware M11x.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    [IMG]
    ??
    No, it's not C-A9 MPCore, neither C-A8, but Marvell's slightly different
    implementation. E.g. it doesn't use NEON, but a different FPU unit.
    Didn't hear more specific info either.

C-A9 MPCore would be sweet, as that is also the first OoO ARM chip
    AFAIK (unlike the Atom, which is still in-order)
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R