Page 77 of 109 FirstFirst ... 27677475767778798087 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2723

Thread: The GT300/Fermi Thread - Part 2!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    It is a huge claim but see my statement above. Once again, everyone seems to be jumping down on the statement without looking at numbers that actually back it up. Look at DiRT, AvP, Heaven and BF: BC.

What ATI did is a good thing: they concentrated on making a DX11 compatible GPU by adapting an older architecture instead of taking a ton of time designing a newer one. They knew there was no point in concentrating too hard on DX11 so early into its life cycle and they were able to actually beat NVIDIA to market while offering a perfectly suitable solution.

So, yes the HD 5000 series takes a massive hit in DX11 but it was never meant to be their end-all DX11 product anyways. That name goes to their upcoming architecture that will be released when there is a good amount of games that support DX11.
    have you looked at dirt 2 benchs ? i don't see awesome dx11 power of fermi series

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    have you looked at dirt 2 benchs ? i don't see awesome dx11 power of fermi series
    As I said: I wasn't comparing ATI's cards to NVIDIA's with my statement. Rather, it was a general observation regarding the HD 5000 series' performance in a DX11 environment. C'est toute.

HOWEVER, supposedly the GF100 series was built with DX11 in mind which could translate into great performance in supporting applications. But that is just a rumor at this point and only time will tell if it translates into better performance.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    have you verified and figured out that those benchmark numbers are real ?

[ since you like playing 20q ]
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    A couple of online retailers have already begun taking pre-orders for NVIDIA's upcoming GeForce GTX 480 and 470 GPUs despite the fact that cards are a month away from launch. Listings for the GTX 470 start around $500, while the GTX 480 is over $650! Surely these can't be the MSRPs for these GPUs, or are they?
    NVIDIA says no. The company has issued the following statement in response to the online listings:

NVIDIA and our launch partners have not released pricing or pre-order information yet. Any Web sites claiming to be taking pre-orders should not be considered legitimate.

Blog + Share: Digg • Del.icio.us
    I like their Unengine Heaven video. Shows card does well in difficult situations.
    And with 50% more bandwidth, and 50% more DRAM, any 19/12 - 25/16 fps better be good.
    Reviews and benchmarks are nice to fonddle over, but ultimately in real life nobody's gonna play L4D("1") or 3DMarks on their 480. They're old.
    The heaven benchmark is the most advanced future looking, and thus far better indicator than old old DX9 crapola.

To those advocating the opposite, old school RE5 and UT3 benchmarks... fools. Does anybody really care about 240fps or 200fps? What's the point of replaying them on GTX480?

If that nice big performance gap shows up across the board in DX11 games, especially tough scenes to raise the min, nVidia's high price will be "justafiable".
    In retrospect, expect PR to get mugged if all they have is HL2: 240fps vs 200fps of competition.

24/7: A64 3000+ (\_/) @2.4Ghz, 1.4V
    1 GB OCZ Gold (='.'=) 240 2-2-2-5
    Giga-byte NF3 (")_(") K8NSC-939
    XFX 6800 16/6 NV5 @420/936, 1.33V

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    have you verified and figured out that those benchmark numbers are real ?

[ since you like playing 20q ]
    well look at chinese bench pic then look at later posted unigine pic unless both are ps its obvious that they are done by same person cause numbers match each other

Xtreme Member
    If nvidia really makes loss on every sold gtx 470 & 480, does it mean that nvidia fans will prevent from buying these fermi products to support nvidia and on the other hand ati-fans will purchase them out of spite?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's 20% better than a 5870, it's nVidia drivers, it features PhysX (better with than without) and has better game support: It sucks? Wake up please.

Oh, did i mention individual game profiles for no constant messing with settings? Hardly a loser, it's late and still a winner. Lower end card (470) makes more expensive 5870 pale heh...
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Xtreme Mentor
    Oh ya one more thing i think that both GTX 480 and GTX 470 uses analog VRM setup and this is a very curious thing to do. The reason why i said curious is that when 5870 was launched with digital VRM i asked the advantages that it will have over analog system and i was told that digital VRM works good handling lower voltage than higher ones but analog VRM works better in handling higher voltage with stability.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It is a huge claim but see my statement above. Once again, everyone seems to be jumping down on the statement without looking at numbers that actually back it up. Look at DiRT, AvP, Heaven and BF: BC.

What ATI did is a good thing: they concentrated on making a DX11 compatible GPU by adapting an older architecture instead of taking a ton of time designing a newer one. They knew there was no point in concentrating too hard on DX11 so early into its life cycle and they were able to actually beat NVIDIA to market while offering a perfectly suitable solution.

So, yes the HD 5000 series takes a massive hit in DX11 but it was never meant to be their end-all DX11 product anyways. That name goes to their upcoming architecture that will be released when there is a good amount of games that support DX11.
    When you look at Fermi it doesn't shout 'gaming' it shouts 'GPGPU', I'm still not convinced that nvidia's tesselation isn't shader bound. When you have a GPGPU that powerful you can get away with a lot of stuff on syth' benchmarks, as they tend to focus on one thing at a time.

I was excited too when I first saw the numbers, but I need to see where the power comes from, because when you turn off the tesselation in that section of the benchmark there is next to nothing there.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkinParkBoy View Post
    If it weren't for ATI's real bad CCC i would have probably purchased a 5970 by now. Meh, hurry up with the numbers already, it's becoming boring.
    That's a no-reason, you can use other programs.
    And Nvidia's panel isn't so awesome.

HOWEVER, supposedly the GF100 series was built with DX11 in mind which could translate into great performance in supporting applications. But that is just a rumor at this point and only time will tell if it translates into better performance.
    A rumor that smells like a bunch of PR stuff, just like AMD saying that their native quad core was going to be better than Intel's "sandwiched" one.

Quote Originally Posted by ilkkahy View Post
    If nvidia really makes loss on every sold gtx 470 & 480, does it mean that nvidia fans will prevent from buying these fermi products to support nvidia and on the other hand ati-fans will purchase them out of spite?
    Hehe, the problem is that availability is going to be limited, so Nvidia knows beforehand what kind of losses to expect.

Banned
    It's 20% better than a 5870, it's nVidia drivers, it features PhysX (better with than without) and has better game support: It sucks? Wake up please.
    Oh, did i mention individual game profiles for no constant messing with settings? Hardly a loser, it's late and still a winner. Lower end card (470) makes more expensive 5870 pale heh...
    Curiously build post.
    20% better figure is for 480, and thats best case REAL GAME scenario.And for sure it wont be cheaper than 5870
    470 on the other hand, is mostly inferior to 5870, and about price, i havent anywhere seen thats its gonna be cheaper than 5870.Cheapest 5870 on newegg is 379$ now.And i REALLY dont think thats gonna happen.(i would love that tho).
    So how 5870 can be pale in comparison to weaker 470 is beyond me.Physx ? Few gimmicks with huge requirements arent for me.
    Lets hope for a cheaper than 5870 tho, it would drive 5xxx prices to their intended MSRPs and i would have a chance of buying 5850 ;-)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkkahy View Post
    LOL. Nice question, but who would want to burn a $500+ cash? If(apparently) Fermi is doomed to fail(sales-wise), then it'll be.
    Hmmm, at least for Sony, the PS3 has a longer amount of time to make up for the loses, not to mention royalties.

Just saying it, no hate for Fermi though, as a consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    Snip...
    With all those positives in mind, we'll soon be seeing price-cut meteorites. Time will tell in the next few months.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

no max fps given and don't expect in dirt2 with only water,flags and crowd tesselation to see deference, in heavy tesselated games will see difference if it exist.
    Nvidia's Fermi GTX480 is broken and unfixable,Hot, slow, late and unmanufacturable
    As we have been saying since last May, Fermi GF100 is the wrong chip, made the wrong way, for the wrong reasons.
    by Charlie Demerjian

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by RaV[666] View Post
    Curiously build post.
    20% better figure is for 480, and thats best case REAL GAME scenario.And for sure it wont be cheaper than 5870
    470 on the other hand, is mostly inferior to 5870, and about price, i havent anywhere seen thats its gonna be cheaper than 5870.Cheapest 5870 on newegg is 379$ now.And i REALLY dont think thats gonna happen.(i would love that tho).
    So how 5870 can be pale in comparison to weaker 470 is beyond me.Physx ? Few gimmicks with huge requirements arent for me.
    Lets hope for a cheaper than 5870 tho, it would drive 5xxx prices to their intended MSRPs and i would have a chance of buying 5850 ;-)
    i think AMD has made enough profit and will be happy to drop 5870 to 300$ the week of nvidias release.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by labs23 View Post
    Fermi is doomed to fail(sales-wise), then it'll be.
    Fermi will sell without question regardless of performance, there's at minimum an equal number of Nvidia fanatics as there are ATI fanatics with neither group willing to touch the other brand.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme X.I.P.
    supposedly the GF100 series was built with DX11 in mind which could translate into great performance in supporting applications. But that is just a rumor at this point and only time will tell if it translates into better performance.
    pfff i dont buy that... its just as much based on Gt200 as rv870 is based on rv770, and its not a new architecture... its pretty obvious that if there was a clear goal with gf100, it was gpgpu... they went for massive shader core power, which, they CAN use for tesselation... but i really dont think that this was their original idea behind all that shader power...
    Last edited by saaya; 03-05-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    pfff i dont buy that... its just as much based on Gt200 as rv870 is based on rv770, and its not a new architecture... its pretty obvious that if there was a clear goal with gf100, it was obviously gpgpu... they went for massive shader core power, which, they CAN use for tesselation... but i really dont think that this was their original idea behind all that shader power...
    Well, I guess we can agree to disagree then. Granted, the Shaders, TMUs and ROPs are still called the same thing but look at the difference:

GF100:

GT200:

Some of the main differences of the GF100 (there are MANY more)

- Large dedicated (and unified) cache structure

- Fixed function stages are now integrated into each cluster (or SM as they were called on the GT200) through the Polymorph engine

- Texture units now have direct access to the cache structure

- Scalability through unified ROP + L2 + memory controller structure

- Dedicated L1 Load / Store cache

- Incorporates a raster engine into each GPC which groups the three pipeline stages (Edge Setup, Z-Cull and the Rasterizer)

- GDDR5 memory controller

- DX11-necessary components such as a dedicated tessellator, etc.

Xtreme Member
    Czech Republic, 50°4'52.22"N, 14°23'30.45"E
    Quote Originally Posted by SimBy View Post
    Why did Igor Stanek lose his nerves?!
    Cause he does not sleep, deals 2 phone cals most the time, lies whenever possible and is totaly spinless?

Banned
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.
    What does all this mean? You decide.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.
    What does all this mean? You decide.
    That most of us reading this thread will probably be buying a HD5870/5890 sometime around April 1st.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    That most of us reading this thread will probably be buying a HD5870/5890 sometime around April 1st.
    This is sad but true. I about bought a 5850 the other day but I am giving nvidia the benefit of the doubt.

This is their last chance if doesnt drop they lost me as a customer for awhile.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    This is sad but true. I about bought a 5850 the other day but I am giving nvidia the benefit of the doubt.

This is their last chance if doesnt drop they lost me as a customer for awhile.
    same, im waiting to see what this shenanigans ends up with. worst case by the time I get a 5870 it will be cheaper
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Well, I guess we can agree to disagree then. Granted, the Shaders, TMUs and ROPs are still called the same thing but look at the difference:

GF100:

GT200:

look at what? those are two different ways to illustrate a gpu, of course it looks very different

- Large dedicated (and unified) cache structure
    evolution

- Fixed function stages are now integrated into each cluster (or SM as they were called on the GT200) through the Polymorph engine
    tweak

- Texture units now have direct access to the cache structure
    evolution

- Scalability through unified ROP + L2 + memory controller structure
    tweak

- Dedicated L1 Load / Store cache
    evolution

- Incorporates a raster engine into each GPC which groups the three pipeline stages (Edge Setup, Z-Cull and the Rasterizer)
    tweak

- GDDR5 memory controller
    thats a standard component, isnt it? its nothing special...

- DX11-necessary components such as a dedicated tessellator, etc.
    weeeeelll we will see about that

i have to reword my statement though, there is def a lot more new stuff and improved stuff in gt300 vs gt200 than there is in rv870 vs rv770... rv870 seems to be 99% of a double pumped rv770, in gt300 there are at least a lot of tweaks and improvements over gt200, even though i wouldnt call it a new gpu. i think it doesnt deserve to be called GF100, it shouldbe GT300 imo... just like rv870 is just that, rv870, and not cypress, some new architecture or design etc... but hey, who cares

i think its funny that marketing has penetrated some chip companies so deeply that they even give their asics marketing friendly codenames
    Last edited by saaya; 03-05-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    saaya, I'm sorry but if you think the geometry and cache changes on Fermi are simple "tweaks" like we're used to then you should stay away from arch comparisons.....

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    evolution

tweak

evolution

tweak

evolution

tweak

Of course everything between sky and earth is a kind evolution or tweak of that , but the "Dedicated L1 Load / Store cache" is closer to a revolutionary step in this round. This gets Fermi much closer to become a supercomputer, because it is the part that support generic C/C++ program (very much like a x86 CPU would do).

This cache sits in-between all shader clusters and can be accessed by all of them. This makes it possible to have unified read/write cache, which allows program correctness and is a key feature to support generic C/C++ programs. This is actually pretty revolutionary step i would say.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Page 77 of 109 FirstFirst ... 27677475767778798087 ... LastLast