Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD: You'll be pleasantly surprised

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    wow.. there are still people who believe there's a discernible difference in stability/quality between nVidia and ATI drivers..
    That's like.. still believing the Earth is plane.. it's so 2001..
    Yes there are, that you haven't necessarily had problems doesn't mean other people haven't
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xello View Post
    Yes there are, that you haven't necessarily had problems doesn't mean other people haven't
    The exact same thing can be said for nvidia drivers (assuming you mean ATI's stigma for making bad drivers). I've had nothing but serious trouble dealing with nvidia.

Symptoms:
    - L4D borked for a while with 'big bang' drivers
    - System would lock, and graphical corruption ensues (source games)
    - Upon quiting to desktop, doing anything causes 100% CPU and the OS will freeze (mouse still able to move) for 10+ seconds
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    The exact same thing can be said for nvidia drivers (assuming you mean ATI's stigma for making bad drivers).
    I mean both, as per the quote:

difference in stability/quality between nVidia and ATI drivers
    If you ask me, and this is just my humble opinion, it's nonsense to disregard other people's problems with company X's hardware/software on the sole basis that you haven't experienced those problems yourself.

For the record yeah ATI software was a nightmare for me, but life's too short to go on about it on a forum forever, if it doesn't work don't use it - get something else and move on.

If that doesn't work either? Buy a console
    Last edited by Xello; 07-10-2009 at 07:36 AM.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Xtremely Kool
    The pinnacle of futility.

I've had problems with both NVIDIA and ATI drivers.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    Luckily I've never had problems with either of their drivers. The thing that scares me away from ATI cards if there is a roughly equivalent nVidia part is ATI's lackluster board partners. I wish EVGA would start making ATI cards.

....Anyway I hope ATI's next gen is even more of a success than the 48xx series!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    If the die size is the same as the 4890, does anyone have any idea how many transistors could be fitted using the 40nm process? I guess a rough figure could be extrapolated using the 4770 info and scaling up...
    Depends on what they change architecturally if anything. It's really hard to guess because they could theoretically put out a DX11 compliant part with small tweaks to RV770. Or they could do a full overhaul, it's just hard to read AMD right now.

On the other hand, Nvidia isn't shy about publicizing its priorities so we can probably expect them to spend/waste/invest even more transistors on general computing this time around. What that means for die size and performance comparisons is anyone's guess.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    So in the end we should all abandon Nvidia, AMD and Intel and go for VIA hardware
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalElephant View Post
    Luckily I've never had problems with either of their drivers. The thing that scares me away from ATI cards if there is a roughly equivalent nVidia part is ATI's lackluster board partners. I wish EVGA would start making ATI cards.

....Anyway I hope ATI's next gen is even more of a success than the 48xx series!
    XFX?

but i hardly keep cards for more than 2 years and most AIB partners offer 2-year warrantys
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by m0da View Post
    I hope we don't see a 2900 series-esque episode.

AMD has been running a very nice show lately though, keep it up!
    This came to mind too. However they got rid of CEO Captain a$$ hat to things have been looking up
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    This came to mind too. However they got rid of CEO Captain a$$ hat to things have been looking up
    You mean this dude?
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    JohnZS Quote:

You mean this dude?
    He did one thing right, he helped the EU get most of the 1.8 Billion they've invested in AMD back
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Germany/In the middle of forest with 3.5G.
    Never have any problem with Nvidia or ATI on hardware or software wise. Bang for the bucks still the main point for me.
    My PC

Collecting dust....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xello View Post
    If you ask me, and this is just my humble opinion, it's nonsense to disregard other people's problems with company X's hardware/software on the sole basis that you haven't experienced those problems yourself.

For the record yeah ATI software was a nightmare for me, but life's too short to go on about it on a forum forever, if it doesn't work don't use it - get something else and move on.

If that doesn't work either? Buy a console

There's a difference between:

"I've had problems with ATI/nVidia drivers, some of which weren't solved while I had the graphics card".
    ^^^ Plausible, right? Happened to me with both nVidia and ATI cards.

and

"ATI/nVidia drivers suckz0rs!!! I had two gazillion driver BUGZZ per second with ATI/nVidia cards and when I changed to nVidia/ATI everything got PEEERFECT! Zero BUGZ! And performance went up 2000%, the weather got better, my car suddenly has 200hp more than before and my girlfriend likes my sexual performance again!!!"
    ^^^ Unfortunately, this what you see more often in forums..
    Mojo stands for Compute Power!
    No need for powerfull CPUs or GPUs anymore. All you need is Mojo!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    nahhh... im expecting a 4000 series repeat, and with some luck it might get close to a 9700 pro series repeat... that would be cool
    Would be nice to see. The 9XXX cards beat Nvidia a beating back then for quite awhile. I still have a 9700 Pro churning away in my brothers PC, complete with 80mm fan rigged to it as the stock fan failed years ago.

Xtreme Addict
    Most problems related with computers ly between the chair and the screen

Nvidia drivers are, according with my experience, better than ATI's, but I don't really care about that, I just want to play some games...
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    Most problems related with computers ly between the chair and the screen

Nvidia drivers are, according with my experience, better than ATI's, but I don't really care about that, I just want to play some games...
    LOL I like your quote didn't think anyone paid any attention to my rantings.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    "ATI/nVidia drivers suckz0rs!!! I had two gazillion driver BUGZZ per second with ATI/nVidia cards and when I changed to nVidia/ATI everything got PEEERFECT! Zero BUGZ! And performance went up 2000%, the weather got better, my car suddenly has 200hp more than before and my girlfriend likes my sexual performance again!!!"
    ^^^ Unfortunately, this what you see more often in forums..
    Sadly you are correct

Xtreme Enthusiast
    luke averiro u mean the keyboard right or the mouse?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    very well said, i would probaly went with an ATI card years ago, but i am fed up hearing

"catalyst 9.'insert version' released, hope it fixes my 'insert problem', ohh no it doesnt, maybe i will just 'insert tempory solution' in the meantime, till they release another version.

you just never hear that with Nvidia, and for me, driver nonsense i cant stand, there is no excuse for it.

Have you used any recent Nvidia driver? I'm also guessing that you don't ever post at Guru3d either. Nvidia drivers have been garbage for a few months now and I remember when they implemented physix there drivers were terrible for months as well.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 07-10-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Xtreme Guru

sigged
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by i found nemo View Post
    sigged
    you sigged that?

why?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think I've ever had Nvidia drivers that don't randomly crash once in awhile. They're mostly stable, but it's still very annoying when it happens, especially L4D multiplayer which seems to love crashing the display driver.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    you sigged that?

why?
    Counter-sigged
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Guru
    you sigged that?

why?
    i liked the sarcasm and the humor in general.
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast