Thread: PWM Pump Full Speed at Restart and Loading Windows any Solution ?

PWM Pump Full Speed at Restart and Loading Windows any Solution ?

Guys

I always use the Swiftech MCX35 pumps with PWM Control, even it's enabled on BIOS and Silent when restarting pumps go to the fastest speed and only start slowing after entering windows. Any solution for this ? i have a controller the lamptron CW611 but is 3 pin, it has for pump control but i read that PWM is a different and more precise pulse of volts and good for pumps.

Thanks a lot
    Sergio
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    PWM is technically superior to voltage control, yes, however unlike directly lowering volts a PWM signal has to be sent to the fan/pump before the speed will drop. No signal = full speed. Devices running at full speed when first powered on is expected behaviour. It sounds like your motherboard is programmed to not send any PWM signal until OS had loaded - if this is the case, there's no 'solution' as such.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

it's a safety feature to make sure fans are working correctly

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Thanks Guys...I'm on the ASUS R5E before on ASUS M6E and so, none has the option, it just trigger at full speed till BIOS starts and then slowly down to software control. My Lamptron CW611 is for water cooling but will not use PWM...It has Alarms all, maybe its better to put it there instead of the mobo ?

Cheers and Thanks again
    Sergio
    ASRock X299 OC Formula

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by andressergio View Post
    Thanks Guys...I'm on the ASUS R5E before on ASUS M6E and so, none has the option, it just trigger at full speed till BIOS starts and then slowly down to software control. My Lamptron CW611 is for water cooling but will not use PWM...It has Alarms all, maybe its better to put it there instead of the mobo ?
    That depends on how much your pump + fans running at full speed until you boot Windows bothers you. The Lamptron provides up to 36W per channel, so it could theoretically power your pump just fine if it really bothers you that much.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    That depends on how much your pump + fans running at full speed until you boot Windows bothers you. The Lamptron provides up to 36W per channel, so it could theoretically power your pump just fine if it really bothers you that much.
    Thanks bro, i have plenty of experience but from 3 pumps 2 of these died...they are very sensitive so i don't know...they have a molex of 12V (reason for starting at full speed) and a cable that goes to a PWM connector to the mobo. So you say that i put an addapter of Molex to 3 pint female to my Lampron and leave the PWM sensor on Mobo ? Or just control it with DC on the Lamptron ?

Thanks again
    Sergio
    ASRock X299 OC Formula

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Thanks bro, i have plenty of experience but from 3 pumps 2 of these died...they are very sensitive so i don't know...
    Yes, as above, PWM is slightly better for longevity.
    they have a molex of 12V (reason for starting at full speed) and a cable that goes to a PWM connector to the mobo. So you say that i put an addapter of Molex to 3 pint female to my Lampron and leave the PWM sensor on Mobo ?
    Molex = power. PWM wire = speed control. Did you instead mean RPM wire? If you try and use PWM signal and voltage regulation at the same time you're going to cause problems.
    Or just control it with DC on the Lamptron ?
    As above, if you choose to use PWM to control the pumps, every time you turn your machine on the pumps will run at 100% speed for a while. This is simply how PWM works. If it is very important to you that the pumps do not start at 100%, the only way to do this is to not use PWM - ie. to use voltage regulation.
    Thanks again
    Sergio
    No worries dude - I feel like we might be having some slight language difficulties though, so if you're not clear on the above let me know and I'll try and rephrase
    Rig specs

Is it causing any issues? Full speed for a minute while windows loads isn't a big deal I wouldn't think.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Yes, as above, PWM is slightly better for longevity.

Molex = power. PWM wire = speed control. Did you instead mean RPM wire? If you try and use PWM signal and voltage regulation at the same time you're going to cause problems.
    As above, if you choose to use PWM to control the pumps, every time you turn your machine on the pumps will run at 100% speed for a while. This is simply how PWM works. If it is very important to you that the pumps do not start at 100%, the only way to do this is to not use PWM - ie. to use voltage regulation.
    No worries dude - I feel like we might be having some slight language difficulties though, so if you're not clear on the above let me know and I'll try and rephrase
    Nope broda i don't have any lang difficulties i speak Eng like my second lang. Maybe i Explained just wrong or very wrong. My Pump is set only for my QUAD SLI (now 3 SLI as one card is on RMA) so see this pic and you will understand...Only the MCX and rad are dedicated to the GPU's but...the mistake is that the RES of the Pump is very small so it produces hella turbulence, i have the EK to replace but will wait for the 4th GPU to do it.

Sorry the pic i took it with my CEL and moved a bit

Hope you understand, pump is connected to the Molex, and Signal to PWM, here the specs
    http://www.swiftech.com/mcp35x12vdcpump.aspx

Thanks for your help
    Best Regards
    Sergio
    ASRock X299 OC Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Is it causing any issues? Full speed for a minute while windows loads isn't a big deal I wouldn't think.
    Thanks Sparky how are you man long time we don't talk here

It's super powerful and the res is small as i explained to SoulsCollective and too much turbulence that i will fix changing the Res on Top with an EK Res Top. But for now i can't do it. So Every Test of OC, every Restart pisses me off lol.

Thanks bro !
    Sergio
    Last edited by andressergio; 11-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    ASRock X299 OC Formula

@SoulsCollective and Sparky, this is new res but i have to find a way to fit it there as its supposed to use with frontal 2 input/output wich literally kills me...i need same as before on same straight line i gonna show you..

actual res connected with 3 SLI or 4 SLI, as you can see it follows a straight line

BUT with the EK Top

ASRock X299 OC Formula

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Right, I'm following you. Running at full speed for any length of time is causing too much turbulence and I'm guessing introducing bubbles into the loop, which is causing obvious problems.

Long story short, the only way to avoid this will be to not use PWM. As above, PWM will always run things at 100% on startup. Nothing you can do to change this, this is how the system is designed to work. You'll need to connect your pumps to your Lamptron controller and use direct voltage regulation instead. If you do this, you cannot also connect the 4-pin PWM wire to your motherboard unless you first disconnect the PWM wire (ie. turn the 4pin into a 3pin), otherwise your pumps will be trying to both run with less power (voltage reg) and turn on and off rapidly (PWM), which is bad both mechanically and electrically.
    Rig specs

Right, I'm following you. Running at full speed for any length of time is causing too much turbulence and I'm guessing introducing bubbles into the loop, which is causing obvious problems.

Long story short, the only way to avoid this will be to not use PWM. As above, PWM will always run things at 100% on startup. Nothing you can do to change this, this is how the system is designed to work. You'll need to connect your pumps to your Lamptron controller and use direct voltage regulation instead. If you do this, you cannot also connect the 4-pin PWM wire to your motherboard unless you first disconnect the PWM wire (ie. turn the 4pin into a 3pin), otherwise your pumps will be trying to both run with less power (voltage reg) and turn on and off rapidly (PWM), which is bad both mechanically and electrically.
    Thanks Bro, Pump comes with molex yellow and black = 12V and a Cable on a PWM Connector. As i told you before this are so sensitive that scare me to loose this and i dont have any backup right now. I have a Molex to 3 pin for the Lamptron i can try that.

Kind regards
    Sergio
    ASRock X299 OC Formula

@SoulsCollective and Sparky, this is new res but i have to find a way to fit it there as its supposed to use with frontal 2 input/output wich literally kills me...i need same as before on same straight line i gonna show you..

actual res connected with 3 SLI or 4 SLI, as you can see it follows a straight line

BUT with the EK Top

Yes, you can use the rear port as an inlet. Its easy to tell on these series of EK pump tops because the inlets are recessed and the outlet is not. The outlet has to be used so there is no point recessing it but the inlets you can choose which one to use and the one that is not is nice and low profile because the stop plug is flush with the housing.

Oh I get it now, I missed that. Sorry.

I agree with both SoulsCollective and Jakusonfire.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Thanks to all brothers as always the Liquid Cooling thread is the most helfull !!!

Kind Regards from Uruguay South America
    Sergio
    ASRock X299 OC Formula

Xtreme Addict
    Stumbled across this thread with an issue that is more-or-less in the same area.

I've always used DDC pumps and lately, as I got "older", I liked to decrease their noise by throttling their speed a little. For the last couple of years, I used the regular pumps and some sort of regular power modulation.

Now, for my new build I wanted to get rid of all the extra controllers and got a PWM version of the pump. My issue now is that I don't see how to control its speed. I can see its rpm signal, but no matter how I change the setup in bios, the speed will remain the same.
    Is this a common issue? Frankly I haven't used a mainboard's fan control for at least a decade...
    Intel i7 8700k | AsRock Z370 Gaming K6 | G.Skill TridentZ PC4-3200 | Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH | Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical_53 View Post
    Stumbled across this thread with an issue that is more-or-less in the same area.

I've always used DDC pumps and lately, as I got "older", I liked to decrease their noise by throttling their speed a little. For the last couple of years, I used the regular pumps and some sort of regular power modulation.

Now, for my new build I wanted to get rid of all the extra controllers and got a PWM version of the pump. My issue now is that I don't see how to control its speed. I can see its rpm signal, but no matter how I change the setup in bios, the speed will remain the same.
    Is this a common issue? Frankly I haven't used a mainboard's fan control for at least a decade...
    Your Mobo should have software that will allow adjustment. If not, the BIOS should have some setting. Are you sure you have the PWM signal connected to the correct header?

Also, what brand of pump? I know you mentioned DDC, but which one?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Addict
    Hey! Thanks.

Yes, the board has software and there's an option to do it within bios. Both settings don't change the pump speeds at all, though.
    I tried different headers and, as far as I'm aware, they're coded so you can't connect them the wrong way around (without force, of course).

The pump is a Laing DDC-1T PWM. I always had the 1+ models and now I want more silence. With only the CPU in the loop, I don't need any more power than this delivers.
    Intel i7 8700k | AsRock Z370 Gaming K6 | G.Skill TridentZ PC4-3200 | Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH | Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have you tried it plugged to CPU fan header?
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Addict
    No. I tried several headers, but I'm afraid the cable isn't long enough for that. As I never had any PWM stuff before, I don't have any extension cables or such...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No. I tried several headers, but I'm afraid the cable isn't long enough for that. As I never had any PWM stuff before, I don't have any extension cables or such...
    Some MoBos only do PWM through the CPU header, extend the wires or get an extension and give it a go!
    p5q DLX
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Addict
    I'll give it a try, thanks! This board is supposed to be able to control all headers, and for each there's a choice between voltage an PWM control. The header I used was supposed to be a specific pump header (board has two of these), as they're supposed to be able to control high current pumps.
    I'll see what happens!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll give it a try, thanks! This board is supposed to be able to control all headers, and for each there's a choice between voltage an PWM control. The header I used was supposed to be a specific pump header (board has two of these), as they're supposed to be able to control high current pumps.
    I'll see what happens!
    I have my fair share of hardware that doesn't work as advertised, give it a go and you may be surprised!
    p5q DLX
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Addict
    So true. I tried the pump on a different header now and even there, I can't control its speed. One of my PWM fans works like a charm though. Guess I'll have to send it back for RMA.

First a Swiftech DDC that was leaking, now an incredibly noisy Laing one that can't be controlled. Well