Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oxygen/Acetylene Brazing

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal View Post
    Yep all the extras add up. While acetylene is the hottest of the 2 gas mixes you want to use a cool (relatively speaking) quit flame with no Blow for brazing. You want the inner most flame to go from a pin point to just starting to feather,you'll see 3 or 4 small points on the inner flame. if the flame is noisy there is too much of one or both gases.

Ask the guys at the welding shop to demonstrate,most shops will.
    Thanks for the tips Walt. The folks at Praxair did a demonstration for me and gave me a Harris book on brazing. The Harris book on brazing has a lot of content. Tip sizes, what brazing alloy they would recommend for the given metal(s) along with pictures and captions of what a proper flame should like. I'm thinking about scanning the book (can't find it online) and making a .PDF for people that are just starting out, like me.

I am Xtreme
    One more thing, buy a 20 dollar disposable fire extinguisher and mount it on the cart. A fire grows in size exponentially with ever passing second. You always have a extinguisher at the other end of the torch hose just a few steps away. You should have a larger bottle in the shop but the disposable is cheap enough your not afraid to use when needed.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Member
    I do have a larger one in my shop, however I do like the idea of having a smaller fire extinguisher close to my work area. Once again Walt, your help and experience have been wonderful.

Cheers,

Jeff

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgrios View Post
    Thanks for the tips Walt. The folks at Praxair did a demonstration for me and gave me a Harris book on brazing. The Harris book on brazing has a lot of content. Tip sizes, what brazing alloy they would recommend for the given metal(s) along with pictures and captions of what a proper flame should like. I'm thinking about scanning the book (can't find it online) and making a .PDF for people that are just starting out, like me
    sounds like a good idea to me
    The Blood Of 1000 Angels: AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.8GHz with 4th Core Unlocked| DFI DK 790GX-M2RS|2X2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 PK (F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK)| 2x Seagate 320GB 7200.12 In RAID-0| XFX 5850 XXX@ 1000/1200| CM Cosmos 1000| Samsung T240 1920x1200 CPU Cooling:IandH Stealthres 175| Swiftech 355 w/ XSPC Top| XSPC RS240|EK 5850 Copper and Acetal|XSPC RS360|Swiftech GTZ

Xtreme Member
    Seems a very good idea
    I would love to see that happen, as long as it is not too far out of your way (the book, that is)
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it is all about?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdolphin View Post
    Seems a very good idea
    I would love to see that happen, as long as it is not too far out of your way (the book, that is)
    All my books and tools are at my off campus house in Ann Arbor right now. In two weeks I'll compile the the .PDF and possibly upload some videos from when I visited Air Gas. The store manager showed me some great tips.

Sorry for the delay, it slipped my mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12