Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 162324252627282936 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Bobcat and Bulldozer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    Why all the fascination with integer instructions? Real code uses a mix of int, fp, logical, and memory instructions.
    The integer pipeline. That includes the loads & stores. With fp resources being widened, fp performance is taking a large jump-- what's left is the integer pipeline.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin_waffles View Post
    What difference does it make, either way? I'm starting to wonder if you and your buddies are'nt just sitting around your mothers basement drinking pop, laughing at all the sh1t you're stirring up in various AMD threads.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    its obvious that he his scared that bulldozer will become the 2010 pentium killer ... so his stock will likely plunge ... poor him
    he still has plenty of time to sell his stock; he only thinks that trolling the crap out of a forum is going to give him another 1-2 months of rising stock prices (but it's extremely unlikely that some nerds like us posting on this forum are going to affext stock prices )
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Mentor
    This is interesting bit from Question's Set no 2 @ AMD blog:

“Is there any”programmable-tangible” improvement in synchronization between cores in the same module? In other words, will I get tangible performance improvement if I can partition my multi-threaded algorithm to pairs of closely interacting threads, and schedule each pair to a module?” – Edward Yang

That is a very interesting question.

For the majority of software, the OS will work in concert with the processor to manage the thread to core relationships. We are collaborating with Microsoft and the open source software community to ensure that future versions of Windows and Linux operating systems will understand how to enumerate and effectively schedule the Bulldozer core pairs. The OS will understand if your machine is setup for maximum performance or for maximum performance/watt which takes advantage of Core Performance Boost.

However, let’s say you want to explore if you can get a performance advantage if your threads were scheduled on different modules. The benefit you can gain really depends on how much sharing the two threads are going to do.

Since the two integer cores are completely separate and have their own execution clusters (pipelines) you get no sharing of data in the L1 – and there is no specific optimizations needed at the software level. However, at the L2 cache level there could be some benefits. A shared L2 cache means that both cores have access to read the same cache lines – but obviously only one can write any cache line at any time. This means that if you have a workload with a main focus of querying data and your two threads are sharing a data set that fits in our L2, then having them execute in the same module could have some advantages. The main advantage we expect to see is an increase in the power efficiency of the cores that are idle. The more idle other cores are, the better chance the busy cores will have to boost.

However, there is another consideration to this which is how available other cores are. You need to weigh the benefits of data sharing with the benefit of starting the thread on the next available core. Stacking up threads to execute in proximity means that a thread might be waiting in line while an open core is available for immediate execution. If your multi-threaded application isn’t optimized to target the L2 (or possibly the L3 cache), or you have distinctly separate applications to run, and you don’t need to conserve power, then you’ll likely get better performance by having them scheduled on separate modules. So it is important to weigh both options to determine the best execution.
    Coming Soon

Banned
    It doesn't?
    Not when a marketing guy says it about "Bulldozer". Think of those 33% more cores, all processing instructions.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by terrace215 View Post
    The integer pipeline. That includes the loads & stores. With fp resources being widened, fp performance is taking a large jump-- what's left is the integer pipeline.
    load/store performance is increased from K10...

just take your time and really think about it if you don't know it already

just stop trolling this forum if the only point in your posts is creating chaos

just stop hiding your real employer if you get paid by intel for spreading completely wrong information on this forum
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Terrace, seriously, just give it a rest. If people don't want to listen to your view (whether it be wrong or right), saying it incessantly over and over isn't going to do much. You should know this, since people have been saying the same thing over and over to you, and you don't listen either, so, goes both ways

Integer performance isn't all there is to a CPU's overall performance. There is a lot more to it than that. Come on...
    Why not wait until the thing is closer to release and we have some harder numbers instead of this "he said she said they said" game that gives random tidbits for people to grab onto and wave around frantically insisting they have all the answers?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Not when a marketing guy says it about "Bulldozer". Think of those 33% more cores, all processing instructions.
    So you are saying that he invented a new definition for the term IPC because he's from AMD and can't possibly be using it the way everyone else does?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I think you've overstayed your welcome in the News section.
    I'm removing your access to News and the AMD section for the benefit of all.
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    It's done. now lets move on..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    That was a bit of a corporal punishment ammm its ok to express ones view, if the other person does not like it he should ignore the other guy.

News section is one of the most happening section in XS but i am not one in charge or one who can judge. But i do think that now that he is gone the thread will turn boring with less people digging up technical jargon and what not....
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by random now banned due
    The guy above somehow forgets that 2 integer pipelines are now "dislodged" from the integer core and placed inside the FP cluster.Those are integer SIMD units.So if you want to properly count, count all the integer resources .2 ALUs,2Agens(we really have no idea if these can do more than Adress Generation) + 2 or 1 integer simd pipeline.

Xtreme Addict
    A good function to calc terrasse IQ :

short int terrasse(void);
    terrasse{
    return 0;
    }

Ok this is a troll sry .

About definitions we all should know :

Performance on one thread = IPC x Frequency
    CPU Performance in heavy multithread load= IPC x Frequency x multithread speed up.

I guess i'm right
    Edited: Lets keep this friendly huh? My typing fingers are getting tired.
    Last edited by Movieman; 08-30-2010 at 10:24 AM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    That was a bit of a corporal punishment ammm its ok to express ones view, if the other person does not like it he should ignore the other guy.

News section is one of the most happening section in XS but i am not one in charge or one who can judge. But i do think that now that he is gone the thread will turn boring with less people digging up technical jargon and what not....
    Yes it was but had you seen my PM box you'd understand.
    There comes a point where one needs tounderstand that they've made their point and move on.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I for one think that Movieman was more than patient with that due.Actually that is an understatement

Xtreme Addict
    I'm really sick of people posting in a thread only to comment about how someone else is a troll. So what if they are? Ad hominems still don't make for valid arguments or civilized discussion. These threads would be so much cleaner if people only remembered "attack the argument, not the person".

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Terrace, seriously, just give it a rest. If people don't want to listen to your view (whether it be wrong or right), saying it incessantly over and over isn't going to do much. You should know this, since people have been saying the same thing over and over to you, and you don't listen either, so, goes both ways

Integer performance isn't all there is to a CPU's overall performance. There is a lot more to it than that. Come on...
    Why not wait until the thing is closer to release and we have some harder numbers instead of this "he said she said they said" game that gives random tidbits for people to grab onto and wave around frantically insisting they have all the answers?
    just put him on your ignore list, that's what I did
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Hooray!!! Thats the best thing I've read all day. It was funny in the beginning but he started to get a little annoying after a while.

Hopefully the discussion will stay on what is known about BD and not what people dream up in thier minds.

But i do think that now that he is gone the thread will turn boring with less people digging up technical jargon and what not....
    I think once more info is released this thread will stay plenty active

Xtreme Guru
    Just wondering, what with all the chatter about bulldozer being 2+2 (alu+agu), aren't all intel cpus from core 2 and on 3+1? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case and the grand majority of consumer applications don't use more than 2 alus at a time, then I don't really what the issue is.

Now what I can see being an issue is Sandy Bridge performing considerably better than expected (I recall many rumors saying it was just an efficiency platform, and minimal if no ipc improvements would be seen), however that really isn't a discussion for this thread anyways.

.....}

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    I'm really sick of people posting in a thread only to comment about how someone else is a troll. So what if they are? Ad hominems still don't make for valid arguments or civilized discussion. These threads would be so much cleaner if people only remembered "attack the argument, not the person".
    Wise words, but people resort to personal attacks if they have no or limited understading whats going on...

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Just wondering, what with all the chatter about bulldozer being 2+2 (alu+agu), aren't all intel cpus from core 2 and on 3+1? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case and the grand majority of consumer applications don't use more than 2 alus at a time, then I don't really what the issue is.

Now what I can see being an issue is Sandy Bridge performing considerably better than expected (I recall many rumors saying it was just an efficiency platform, and minimal if no ipc improvements would be seen), however that really isn't a discussion for this thread anyways.
    While its true that they are only 3+1 conroe introduced a 4(+1) for the decoding stage, just as BD did now. So the utilisation of the alus is/was higher.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 08-30-2010 at 10:45 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    This is interesting bit from Question's Set no 2 @ AMD blog:
    thanks for the update from round 2, i was waiting for this, he posts a thread in the AMD section, but im too busy here to check it out every 5 minutes.

the round of questions do provide some more fun info, and the comments are where the real goodies show up across the next few days

It may not refute the argument, but if someone is genuinely a "troll" they don't really deserve to be able to participate in a civil discussion. Thread crapping when a person can't prove an argument or disprove one they dislike does nothing but detract from the quality of the overall debate.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Nothing personal against "terrace215", or anyone else... Opinions are just that, opinions! Everybody has one, just like they have an a$$#0L3... Facts, we will only find out when someone perhaps will leak some numbers... I did read in forums here only that somewhere in a cave in my own damned country, there's a system running this piece of hardware in question... A whole 16-pack (for as many cores) :P will be given to you dear fella... find out more please! You know who you are...

Movieman, if you come to New Delhi, India, do sound me off, i'll buy you a beer.

I just wish that it would be here soon... :P More pleasurable than owning the chip itself would be knowing what black magic went into making it

EDIT:
    1) Ok, i had to apologize for my language...
    2) Seriously getting harder to decide which would be more fun, owning one... or knowing about it more... :P Both, would be better
    Last edited by tifosi; 08-30-2010 at 10:52 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    It may not refute the argument, but if someone is genuinely a "troll" they don't really deserve to be able to participate in a civil discussion. Thread crapping when a person can't prove an argument or disprove one they dislike does nothing but detract from the quality of the overall debate.
    Quite interesting, by that definition he wasn't a trol lat all. He provided a logical argument/question with some facts (even when they where old), yet people had no real facts to counter his spesific question (ST IPC). The only facts that where available where increased ST performance and increased IPC (not specifed if its ST or not).

Anyway personally I prefer hard numbers, so all this theoretical mindgames arn't my cup of tea.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post

Prefetching and branch prediction plays a major role for high utilization of ALU / FPUs.

As stated before, most programs have IPC of < 1.0.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by qcmadness View Post
    Prefetching and branch prediction plays a major role for high utilization of ALU / FPUs.

As stated before, most programs have IPC of < 1.0.
    right that's what I thought, because otherwise we would be seeing zero increase from core 2 to sandy bridge as primarily only the logic and prefetchers were changed

.....}

Regards, Hans

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 162324252627282936 ... LastLast