Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FINALLY! Barcelona(s) + Asus L1N64......

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I dont think sisoft works correctly with barcelona..
    It's a HIGHLY synthetic bench, so depending on what characteristics of the CPU it "presumes" the results can be flawed from 0-100% for any CPU.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by alucasa View Post
    Here is a Cpu-z screenshot from a retail cpu.
    Is this taken on final BIOS for L1N64 or the one brought by TicTac/Metro??

Any OC results yet?
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

AMD delays Phenom 2.4 GHz due to TLB errata

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...om-ghz-due-tlb

" While benchmark software vendors had some problems detecting how new memory controller work - both SiSoft Sandra XII and Everest 4.20 were returning single-channel results, regardless of memory controller being used in SC/DC, dual-72-bit or 144-bit- we are still shocked to learn of this situation, that will end up with dire consequences for AMD's management. "
    ________

This single piece of information clears up several questions that I had gathered recently... even if I don't like the answer...
    Last edited by twobombs; 11-18-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Poor AMD .
    Puni's rig _.->*new?D*<-._ PRIME STABLE OC - CLICK HERE: Cooler Master HAF X NVIDIA EDITION Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 + AMD FX-8350 @210x21=4,42Ghz blue voltages (NB/HT @2320Mhz/2730Mhz) + Asus/Zotac GTX580 SLI @851-1702/4204Mhz 1,063V + 8GB of Samsung 30nm DDR3 @1966Mhz 9-9-9-27 1,5V | Caviar Black 3TB SATA III RAID0 | BenQ XL2420TX NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Lightboost ready | Win7x64 | 3DMark11 - CLICK HERE | 3DMark Vantage - CLICK HERE

Since when is the Inquirer a reputable source of info.. I've seen loads of BS from them before to my recollection. At any rate, this is bad news for AMD's market share to be sure, to quote AMD they can be slower and cheaper, but not slower and more expensive. Price cuts just might make AMD the better deal again, if they can afford it. The low cost and high performance of 690G boards and the Brisbane 4000+ made me choose AMD's 690G platform, maybe they can make their next generation a good deal too.

What I'm really hoping for is a cheap Phenom X4 "black edition" chip. I just missed that one buying my 4000+, but I do still love this little bastard. It's marvelously fast, especially at 2887 MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter View Post
    Since when is the Inquirer a reputable source of info..
    They are a lot more reliable then the official propaganda BS that's being produced into the many official channels.

I wanted to build an Octo-Core system since I first heard about it. But now that I see that AMD has pretty much abandoned the QuadFx platform it seams that has gone out the window. Unless of course they Produce a "Black edition" Unlocked Opteron with the ability to run Non-Registered Ram. I've always loved AMD but lately it seams like they are just doing everything wrong. I will still USE an AMD CPU in my next machine, just wish it would be a "4x4" Quad FX like I have been dreaming of since last march. ARe there any Recent benchmarks on running L1N64 +2x Barcelonas? What about OC results? I will be keeping a close eye on this thread until I work up the cash for building my next system.

Xtreme Member
    Welcome. I'm another one who were wishing exactly the same stuff.

A unlocked opteron for common ddr would be great. But, to the moment, what can be done seems to be just to use opterons quad with ecc-ddr on l1n... Seems to be a sad time for the great concept of the dual-socket-quad-cores with ability for oc and high powered videos...

Nevertheless, the statement left a small breech that the concept may be revived in the future. Let's hope something for the 45nm, since there are already the pre-l1a board by asus. If it comes into reallity again, it can become an option for our happiness!

Hi i recently bought an L1N64 Board with 2x Athlon 64 FX-74 im using Normal desktop Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820161183 and a GeForce 8800 GTX, now my quastion:

Would i be able to run an Opteron 2350 or 2344 with just this Memory?

EDIT: I use this system for Gaming and Homenetertainment so i need a Memory, i would be able to Play at least Crysis with!

THX i appreciate any help.
    Last edited by flash555; 12-10-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Xtreme Member
    From what I listened at 2cpu.com forums, at least for now, the answer is a sad "no".

Xtreme Member
    Last I checked, there's nothing special in the memory controllers that prevent unregistered DDR from working. Just that you can't drive as many memory slots.

Xtreme Member
    The last we all checked, was still dual-core opterons...

Don't get me wrong, you may be right (I would love if that's the case, despite that I would prefer a quad crossfire option board). But the info is too new, the bioses just released, and that's the info I got from 2cpu.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    L1N62 will not accept unregistered ram with Barcelona. It won't even post with unregistered ram and Barcelona.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Quote Originally Posted by alucasa View Post
    L1N62 will not accept unregistered ram with Barcelona. It won't even post with unregistered ram and Barcelona.
    But why is a santa roas warking with unreg. DDR2 als you can see here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=131691

Or is he using Quad Opterons in this thread?

Xtreme Rack Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by flash555 View Post
    But why is a santa roas warking with unreg. DDR2 als you can see here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=131691

Or is he using Quad Opterons in this thread?
    What are you talking about?

23xx Opteron is Bracelona. You asked if Bracelona will work on L1N. Why are you talking about Santa Rosa?
    Those two are based on two completely different cpu.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Scuttlebut is that ECC ram will work with Barcelona and L1N64 using the hacked bios.

Quote Originally Posted by THE JEW (RaVeN) View Post
    Scuttlebut is that ECC ram will work with Barcelona and L1N64 using the hacked bios.
    What do you mean? Is ECC unregistered Memory?

::EDIT:: Is anyone capable of Manipulating the Hacked Bios, so that the Quad Opterons would run with unreg. Memory??
    Last edited by flash555; 12-12-2007 at 05:16 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, ECC can be unreg. memory. It can also be reg.

ECC but not reg. example:

KVR533D2E4/2G - Part Detail

Description: 2GB 533MHz DDR2 ECC CL4 DIMM

Detailed Specifications: Standard 256M X 72 ECC 533MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL4)

Manufacturer #: N/A

Form Factor: Memory Module

Pieces/Unit: 1

Warranty: Lifetime†

Reg. and ECC:

Kingston 2GB
    reg./ECC RoHS
    KVR667D2D4P5/2G
    Elpida
    E5104AG-6E-E

Still awaiting someone to solve the problem of making this problem Octo core with the new Opty's and use unregistered DDr ram at the same time.

I'm still stunned and fel extremely shafted that AMD dropped support for the platform, I mean, they could have done a small run of some modified Quad core Opteron's for the people who paid a fortune for the privelege of owning this sytem, and to dump it like a bad smell was pretty lame from AMD, and why I won't be buying any of their product's in the near future again. The whole reason for this sytem was a stop gap between them geting their Quad's out, annd making the whole thing Octo core, with at least trile SLi, using Two High end card's and the vapourware SLI announcemet that was the third GFX card for physic's.

Absolute nonsense they dropped support for an enthusiast platform considering they are meant to be the enthusiast company, Intel just uns rings around them now, and at least Skulltrail will support everything, including SLI.

Fused
    New bios...

ASUS L1N64-SLI-WS

Version: 0401

Change Log:
    - Fixed some issue on previous barcelona bios

Download Link:
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/7692003c-e...ASUS-WS-B-0401

CAUTION : Reg Dimm only!!!
    Last edited by tictac; 12-12-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    btw thanks for the support

what was fixed??
    Last edited by msimax; 12-12-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: stupidity
    Amd Nvidia/Ati -3dmark06 scorebord revisted

asus L1N64-ws or /b depending on bios chip
    4x1gig 8500 gkill bpk
    2x opteron 8224 @ 3.8ghz
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=236
    vga= 8800gt
    winxp pro

custom chiller -31 water
    2x dtek fuzions
    bix3-with x3panaflo hi output
    antec 850 quattro

heat under msimax abitmax and dfimax

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    New bios...

ASUS L1N64-SLI-WS

Change Log:

Download Link:

What were the Changes?
    And did you try running the Bios on unreg. Memory?

Are ECC = Dimm? Are there any Ram versions with ECC?
    In my Current Bios theres n option "Disable ECC Error Correction" does that mean there are also ECC RAM?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    New bios...

ASUS L1N64-SLI-WS

Change Log:

Download Link:

Wow, that's awesome. If this fully works the platform may have just been saved.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flash555 View Post
    Are ECC = Dimm? Are there any Ram versions with ECC?
    In my Current Bios theres n option "Disable ECC Error Correction" does that mean there are also ECC RAM?
    For an example of ECC see this post.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...8&postcount=68

It's ECC but NOT reg. (in the first example)

For an explanation to ECC see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_d...orrecting_code

ECC doesn't necessarily mean that you have reg. RAM.

If TicTac added reg. support, he basically turned the enthusiast board into a workstation/server board. Either way, as long as the mobo works with the Barcs, people will be relatively happy.

Though, it would've been nice if Asus had done all this

EDIT:

What do you mean? Is ECC unregistered Memory?
    It can be both registered (reg.) or unregistered (unreg.) Memory. It's a feature.
    Last edited by THE JEW (RaVeN); 12-13-2007 at 12:20 PM.

So.... you guys have them working anyway Registered ECC and all, but do you have anything to report about overclocking them yet?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast