Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermochill Compression Fitting Preview

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thermochill Compression Fitting Preview

Thermochill Compression Fitting Preview
    1/2” – 3/4” (19/13mm)

Intro

Over the past few months the liquid cooling industry has been turned upside down with the development and progression of the compression fitting. Were we’ve seen a major overhaul in the way we connect our hoses to our cooling components and the way we use fittings.

The compression fitting has evolved dramatically since the days of 10/8mm tubing. With so many different options available from major companies like Koolance and Bitspower. While Bitspower has been the main driving force behind the developments, offering a wide range of colour styles, endless angles and adapting pieces. Has it become a victim of its own success, with cheaper fittings appearing every other month?

However it seems there is still room for new comers, EK being one of them offering a cheaper alternative to the Bitspower Matt Black Range. And now Thermochill well established in the radiator market and new comers the coolant and fitting market. The description of the fitting on the WCUK website states.

“This new Compression fitting is the smallest ½” – ¾” Nickel Plated Compression fitting on the market which also offers the highest flow.”

But can this fitting live up to this statement.

I would like to thank Thermochill for sending me over some compressions fittings to play with.

Design

Thermochill have designed the fitting with functionally in mind; however looks haven’t been swept to the side. Designed for 1/2” ID – 3/4” OD hose (1/8” walls).

The compression fitting is made out of nickel plated brass and is built in two sections, the barb and the retention nut. The barb has a hexagonal base unlike most other conventional compressions which have circular griped base which allows the use of a spanner to tighten the fitting into a thread. The barb has a 9.5 mm flanged surface area for tubing 4mm of which is flanged.

The retention nut also features a hexagonal top which allows the user to tighten the nut with a spanner; the rest of the nut is grooved to allow the user to grip the nut for tightening.

Thermochill makes the fitting in both G1/4 and G3/8 inch threads, this allows for complete compatibility with components.

Dimensions

All the dimensions are measured using an electronic digital calliper.

G1/4 Fitting
    Width: 24mm
    Thread Length: 6mm
    Height: 28mm
    Internal Bore: 12.5mm
    Thread Bore: 10mm

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4465322817_9920cfd644.jpg[/IMG]

G3/8 Fitting
    Thread Length: 6mm
    Height: 28mm
    Internal Bore: 12.5mm
    Thread Bore: 12.5mm

Comparison

With the bold statement provided with the Thermochill Compression fitting, It is important to find out how true the statement is.

“This new Compression fitting is the smallest ½” – ¾” Nickel Plated Compression fitting on the market which also offers the highest flow.”

With a range of fittings from some of the leading manufactures of Compression fittings, Bitspower, Feser and Primochill. The test is comparing overall width and and internal bore at both the thread and the barb of the fitting. Each of the fittings are measured with the same Electronic Digital Callipers as in the dimensions section above.

Bitspower (BP) Matt Black 1/2" - 3/4"
    Width: 26mm
    Height: 28.5mm
    Internal Bore: 11.5mm

Feser (TFC) 1/2" - 3/4"
    Width: 26mm
    Height: 28.5mm
    Internal Bore: 10mm

Primochill Black Plastic 1/2" - 3/4"
    Height: 26mm
    Internal Bore: 9.5mm
    Thread Bore: 9.5mm

Cost

Price is a big aspect in the fitting market, with companies at each end of the scale. Thermochill have chosen to place themselves at the cheaper side. However don’t think of this as a bad thing, there are no issues with quality and no sign of machine marks on any of the fittings I received.

Priced at £3.56 a fitting on WCUK, the same price as a generic brand fitting but nearly half the price of a Bitspower Compression. And with the average price of a normal barb at £2 this seems to be one of the cheaper and best solutions to upgrading to compression fittings.

Xtreme Mentor
    Interesting. Wonder what the U.S. cost will be and whether or not they will do other sizes.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Interesting.
    I may be the only one, but there is one thing that I still don't fully comprehend on compression fittings.
    How does the hose/tubing go in, and how are they held in place?
    Any chance you could record a small video displaying it exactly?
    I admit that the overall look of compression fittings are loads better than the norm. I still have reservations on how well they hold, even with more and more people using them.

Xtreme Member
    durability? very thin wall compared to others.
    920 @3.5ghz 1.06V
    EVGA 762
    Corsair Dominator GT 2000
    Manli GTX460 SLI
    several HDD
    corsair ax1200

Xtreme Member
    I think it would be good if you can include a pair of these compression fittings with every PA series radiator you sell.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So many nice photos and not a single one with the collar off? Would have liked to see the flare on the barb itself.

Thanks bentleya. Also nice to have comparison measurements on the contenders.

@IFMU - boy, your questions made me feel good. I struggled for weeks before ordering compression fittings when they started to become the rage - because I had no idea how they actually worked. It's a lot easier to explain with a photo - and maybe bentleya will post one. But the simple explanation is, there are two parts - the barb and the collar. The main body screws into the water block/radiator/pump G1/4 opening. The "naked" fitting now looks like a regular barb - you can see it in the middle of the first comp fitting in bentleya's photo no. 1. The tubing goes over the barb just like normal. The collar (don't know the right term) slides over the tubing and then you screw it down to hold the tubing in place.

That's why it's important to get compression fittings with the proper ID and OD.

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    @IFMU - boy, your questions made me feel good. I struggled for weeks before ordering compression fittings when they started to become the rage - because I had no idea how they actually worked.
    Not quite sure I get that, but ok. lol
    It's a lot easier to explain with a photo - and maybe bentleya will post one. But the simple explanation is, there are two parts - the barb and the collar. The main body screws into the water block/radiator/pump G1/4 opening. The "naked" fitting now looks like a regular barb - you can see it in the middle of the first comp fitting in bentleya's photo no. 1. The tubing goes over the barb just like normal. The collar (don't know the right term) slides over the tubing and then you screw it down to hold the tubing in place.
    I had kinda figured it was something like that, just wasn't sure.
    Thank you for explaining!!!
    Maybe someday I'll be able to afford these things! lol
    That's why it's important to get compression fittings with the proper ID and OD.
    Thought that would make a big difference, good to know that as well.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    Thought that would make a big difference, good to know that as well.
    Yeah, problem with compression fittings is that the tubing needs to fit very snuggly. Unlike normal barbs, which hold any OD as long as the ID is similar or smaller, if the ID and OD don't match the compression fitting, you wont get a waterproof seal, and you'll have leaking fittings.

Xtreme Member
    Hopes for 3/8"ID.

Cheap with hex-nut. Brilliant.

ASUS Rampage II Ex 1504
    Intel i7 920 D0 3850A795
    Sapphire HD5970 EK FC 1Ghz/1150Mhz 1.237v
    OS Intel X25-M RAID0
    Data 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200/32Mb
    OCZ Reaper 6GB/1800/C8
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200w
    1X 18w DDC3.2 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X 18w DDC3.25 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X XSPC Submersible Pump/Res w/RS120mm
    HW Labs GTX480 4x120mm
    TFC Monsta 6x140mm
    EK Supreme LT 3/8" Feser Tubing
    EK IOH/SB and Mosfet Blocks
    Lian Li V2110 w/EX-34
    26" Iiyama Prolite

I am Xtreme
    bentleya

why didn't you separate the set? like remove the compression ring?

no 1:1 sized picture?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    Interesting.
    I may be the only one, but there is one thing that I still don't fully comprehend on compression fittings.
    How does the hose/tubing go in, and how are they held in place?
    Any chance you could record a small video displaying it exactly?
    I admit that the overall look of compression fittings are loads better than the norm. I still have reservations on how well they hold, even with more and more people using them.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...06&postcount=2
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Very cool, thank you. ^_^

Nice Waterlogged. Now I remember that one - it helped me too!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very happy to see that, if you can get to sell them at around 5$ in the us, they would be a huge seller. I dont like the look of the bp fitting but those look nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's interesting (and sad) to me that they can't seem to ship near enough rads but they're working on other products. Can we get some pa rads in the states? How about some shrouds? Can they make a shroud for the 120.4? (or if they already have can you get it to resellers?)

Xtreme Member
    Its functionality and affordability vs. aesthetics. The hexagonal base ruined the clean lines and sleek design of most compression fittings we all fell in love with.

Phil

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeah View Post
    durability? very thin wall compared to others.
    They very solid and personally i can't see any problem with durability. As on a side note, the retention nut screwed down better on the Thermochill Fitting followed by the Bitspower. However the Primochill and TFC both jam up and are not smooth to screw down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    So many nice photos and not a single one with the collar off? Would have liked to see the flare on the barb itself.
    Give us a few hours and i'll get some uploaded .

Quote Originally Posted by affiliate13 View Post
    Hopes for 3/8"ID.

Cheap with hex-nut. Brilliant.
    I'll said an email out to Thermochill in the morning, to see if, A) What other sizes will be made, B) When they will be come available to buy in the states and the rest of Europe.

Thanks, Truly one of the best threads on XS .

Quote Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
    It's interesting (and sad) to me that they can't seem to ship near enough rads but they're working on other products. Can we get some pa rads in the states? How about some shrouds? Can they make a shroud for the 120.4? (or if they already have can you get it to resellers?)
    WOW Thermochill, use one production facility for the rads and a different for the fittings. The rads are made in a small UK Factory and are turning out as many as they possibly Can.

The 140.3 has had a shroud for a long time. I think your'll be best to get in touch with Thermochill via the contact section on they website. As i'm sure they will answer it better than i did and can.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    3/8id 5/8od and then they would have win.

The sooner that 1/2inch dies, the better we will all be. With all the testing Cathar did, I never understood why people didn't go down in size when he showed size didn't matter (almost no diff between 1/2" and 3/8").
    They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

Project Log Completed: all internal v1000

Quote Originally Posted by LogAn'sRun View Post
    ...he showed size didn't matter...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LogAn'sRun View Post
    3/8id 5/8od and then they would have win.

The sooner that 1/2inch dies, the better we will all be. With all the testing Cathar did, I never understood why people didn't go down in size when he showed size didn't matter (almost no diff between 1/2" and 3/8").
    idd, the difference is stupid, but letting 1/2" die, wouldn't be that good, 'cause the 1/2" barbs allow you to run 7/16 tubes without clamps, killer combo imho
    Duality: Q9550 - P5Q Deluxe - 8GB OCZ - HD5850 - 4,64TB WD - HX650 - X-fi - Aquaero 4 - Lian Li V1000b II Plus @Dual loops watercooling

Loop 1 => DDC18w w/ EK X-top V2 - EK Supreme HF - EK FC5850 - PA120.3 - Multires 150
    Loop 2 => DDC18w w/ EK X-top V2 - PA120.1 - MIPS mosfet 1&2 - mips NB - Mips Ramfreezer 4 - MIPS SB - Multires 150

Xtreme Member
    More options can be better, I did use 1/2"ID but I have since switched to 3/8"ID, but its horses for courses some people like that size so it needs to be catered for.
    Btw BentleyA, did TC mention about 3/8" to you at all?
    Also if you have been using these for a while, how does the plating and finish stand up?

ASUS Rampage II Ex 1504
    Intel i7 920 D0 3850A795
    Sapphire HD5970 EK FC 1Ghz/1150Mhz 1.237v
    OS Intel X25-M RAID0
    Data 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200/32Mb
    OCZ Reaper 6GB/1800/C8
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200w
    1X 18w DDC3.2 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X 18w DDC3.25 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X XSPC Submersible Pump/Res w/RS120mm
    HW Labs GTX480 4x120mm
    TFC Monsta 6x140mm
    EK Supreme LT 3/8" Feser Tubing
    EK IOH/SB and Mosfet Blocks
    Lian Li V2110 w/EX-34
    26" Iiyama Prolite

Xtreme Member
    compressions are common nowadays. nearly every company seems to have some.

Rotary compressions are the ones these companies need to move into. Pretty much dominated by bitspower. Feser has some (though they leaked on my a few days ago; heard bitspower ones leak too though). A couple more have rotary but not with compressions. (enzotech, koolance)

They are very nice but the cost to move to 3/8 would be too much. New fittings for my 2 blocks, radiator and a new top for my D5 to convert it as well as all the tubing doent make it worth it.

I wonder if they are going to make some angled ones??

So where is the black version... I need more black options
    New Rig in Development
    Current Rig: i7 950 (HK 3.0 CU Block) : ASUS WS (Koolance Blocks) : eVGA 295 GTX CO-OP (Swiftech Full card Block) : 6GB Corsair Dominator XMP memory : Highpoint 4320 raid card : 4x 128Gb SuperTalent MasterDrive SX's (Raid 0) - OS : 2x 300GB WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Caching Drive : D5 pump with Bitpower top running to 360 rad for CPU & MB : MCP355 with XPSC Res Top to 120mm rad for GPU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast