Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Asrock 775Dual-VSTA Volt Mods

Xtreme Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ibby View Post
    DOes any one have information on the modded BIOS's?
    thanks
    Modded Bios
    1.70A for the 4CoreDual-VSTA

http://www.pc-treiber.net/download_kategorie_108.html

2.70A for the 775Dual-VSTA

http://www.pc-treiber.net/datei_download_1149.html

Last edited by Alchemist; 05-06-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Little taster of what I've been able to achieve so far

Has anyone confirmed that you can or cannot flash between the DUAL and QUAD core BIOS versions. At the minute both are still supported but I wonder if this will be true in the future...

It seems as has been commneted on before that this board is more stable with DDR rather than DDRII. I've been able to get up to 330FSB with DDR fully stable but only 3000FSB with DDRII. It would also seem that the DDRII slot furtherest from the CPU is weaker, and will be the limiting factor in your overclock. Also as anyone with DDRII noticed that your overclock improves with a lower voltage ?

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-06-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I have read about a guy in NCIX forums that was running 4Core bios on 775 board with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    this mod comprises also the ddr? or only the ddr2?

Xtreme Member
    Little taster of what I've been able to achieve so far

Has anyone confirmed that you can or cannot flash between the DUAL and QUAD core BIOS versions. At the minute both are still supported but I wonder if this will be true in the future...

It seems as has been commneted on before that this board is more stable with DDR rather than DDRII. I've been able to get up to 330FSB with DDR fully stable but only 3000FSB with DDRII. It would also seem that the DDRII slot furtherest from the CPU is weaker, and will be the limiting factor in your overclock. Also as anyone with DDRII noticed that your overclock improves with a lower voltage ?

Although I haven't tried it myself (mind you I don't own a 775dual-vsta), there shouldn't be a problem flashing a 775Dual with a 4CoreDual bios since apart from one using a "pro" chipset (1066 overclocked capability) and the other using a "ultra" chipset (1066 default capability) they are the same mobo. I own a early 4coredual-vsta where you can clearly see that all new identifications specific to 4coredual-vsta are just labels which have been stuck-on over previous 775dual-vsta direct pcb markings.

Also, so far haven't noticed any overclocking advantage between using DDR or DDR2. And believe only reason for overclocking advantage with lower mem volts would be that mem volts too high in first place?

However, I am interested to know the make/type of DDR you are using since you show it being run at 247.8MHz with latencies of 2-2-2-5?

My Geil DDR550 has no broblems with such speeds, but only when at 2.5-3-3-6 !

And just for interest, what levels of Vagp and Vtt did you need to set to achieve these overclocks ??

Last edited by jimmor; 05-07-2007 at 01:30 AM.
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know !

Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz
    Asus P5Q-E
    Kingston 2x2Gb PC2-8500
    Evga 8800GTS 512Mb

Xtreme Addict
    stalker170 - that mod will take care of both DDR and DDRII

jimmor - thanks for the heads up on the BIOS issue, I expected that would be the case anyway just wanted it confirmed.

As for the memory questions, I know that my DDRII likes the volts as the sticks currently in it are Mircon fatbodys which really take off over 2.4Volts, strange thing is that on this board you have to keep them under 2volts or they start to rapidly error in memtest. As for the DDR I'm using BH-5 chips hence the tight latencies - these were running at 3.4-3.5volts via the vddr mod.

It would seem that I personally seem ot have problems with large memory sizes on this board - 1 GB of either DDR or DDRII posed no problem but upgrading to 2GB of DDRII created all sorts of problems.

As for voltages vagp -2v and VTT is 1.5volts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmor View Post
    Although I haven't tried it myself (mind you I don't own a 775dual-vsta), there shouldn't be a problem flashing a 775Dual with a 4CoreDual bios since apart from one using a "pro" chipset (1066 overclocked capability) and the other using a "ultra" chipset (1066 default capability) they are the same mobo. I own a early 4coredual-vsta where you can clearly see that all new identifications specific to 4coredual-vsta are just labels which have been stuck-on over previous 775dual-vsta direct pcb markings.

Also, so far haven't noticed any overclocking advantage between using DDR or DDR2. And believe only reason for overclocking advantage with lower mem volts would be that mem volts too high in first place?

However, I am interested to know the make/type of DDR you are using since you show it being run at 247.8MHz with latencies of 2-2-2-5?

My Geil DDR550 has no broblems with such speeds, but only when at 2.5-3-3-6 !

And just for interest, what levels of Vagp and Vtt did you need to set to achieve these overclocks ??

There are 2 versions of the 775-Dual-VSTA board! One with a VIA ultra chipset and one with the VIA pro chipset. I have heard of some people that they have flashed their 775-Dual-VSTA board with VIA ultra chipset succesfully to a 4CoreDual.

I do not yet know of any 775-Dual-VSTA owners with the Pro chipset on-board that have flashed to a 4CoreDual.

Mr Fantasic
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Modded Bios
    1.70A for the 4CoreDual-VSTA

http://www.pc-treiber.net/download_kategorie_108.html

2.70A for the 775Dual-VSTA

http://www.pc-treiber.net/datei_download_1149.html

Thoese links work
    but no info on the BIOS
    RIP GrandDad , I'll miss you -15/07/1985
    RIP GrandMother, I'll miss you -08/08/2007

Dave is the man!

Xtreme Member
    Thoese links work
    but no info on the BIOS
    Of course there is info on the linked bioses. And for those that don't understand german ---> use a web translator !

However, to keep it simple, the update descriptions for all standard bioses is readily available at Asrock's website. And the further changes of the "A" designated bioses cover the re-enabling of "Speedstep" and "Thermal Throttling" options, plus changes to make the Fan control function work more effectively!

Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz
    Asus P5Q-E
    Kingston 2x2Gb PC2-8500
    Evga 8800GTS 512Mb

Mr Fantasic
    Of course there is info on the linked bioses. And for those that don't understand german ---> use a web translator !

However, to keep it simple, the update descriptions for all standard bioses is readily available at Asrock's website. And the further changes of the "A" designated bioses cover the re-enabling of "Speedstep" and "Thermal Throttling" options, plus changes to make the Fan control function work more effectively!

Thanks alot

Dave is the man!

You forgot a little bit..."Achtung, hierdurch kann es unter Umständen zur Überhitzung der Northbridge kommen." Warning, because of this (fan-control) the northbridge can overheat under certain circumstances.
    Last edited by Noobie; 05-11-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobie View Post
    You forgot a little bit..."Achtung, hierdurch kann es unter Umständen zur Überhitzung der Northbridge kommen." Warning, because of this (fan-control) the northbridge can overheat under certain circumstances.

This warning is unique with regards to BIOS 2.70a.
    Been using version 1.70, then 1.70a, since they were posted on the internet and all I have to say is that 1.70a is a much better choice than 1.70. And there are definately no northbridge problems on my mobo !

And I doubt there is anything wrong with version 2.70a that wasn't already wrong with version 2.70. Which means if I happend to own a 775dual-vsta I would probably just try it anyway because of potential benefits to be gained. However, people who feel very concerned about a northbridge heating warning which may not actually apply to their particular setups, should simply stick with version 2.60a, or wait for 2.80a !

Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz
    Asus P5Q-E
    Kingston 2x2Gb PC2-8500
    Evga 8800GTS 512Mb

Been using version 1.70, then 1.70a, since they were posted on the internet and all I have to say is that 1.70a is a much better choice than 1.70. And there are definately no northbridge problems on my mobo !

And I doubt there is anything wrong with version 2.70a that wasn't already wrong with version 2.70. Which means if I happend to own a 775dual-vsta I would probably just try it anyway because of potential benefits to be gained. However, people who feel very concerned about a northbridge heating warning which may not actually apply to their particular setups, should simply stick with version 2.60a, or wait for 2.80a !

Ow the problem occurs with 2.60a too. It's just that they forgot to put that warning there the first time they released their BIOS readme notes (or maybe the mirror-site I get my BIOS from forgot).

I believe they that they are saying is that you need to be careful with fan control because the CPU fan also cools the northbridge, and if you put the fan RPM too low the NB dies. I guess this is also why ASRock stopped allowing fan control. But that is just a theory on my part.

I run my 775-Dual-VSTA with a lot of quiet case-fans anyways. Silence doesn't have to come at the cost of airflow if you know what your doing.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobie View Post
    Ow the problem occurs with 2.60a too. It's just that they forgot to put that warning there the first time they released their BIOS readme notes (or maybe the mirror-site I get my BIOS from forgot).

I believe they that they are saying is that you need to be careful with fan control because the CPU fan also cools the northbridge, and if you put the fan RPM too low the NB dies. I guess this is also why ASRock stopped allowing fan control. But that is just a theory on my part.

I run my 775-Dual-VSTA with a lot of quiet case-fans anyways. Silence doesn't have to come at the cost of airflow if you know what your doing.
    Must be something fragile about a 880pro chipset then?

The overvolted 880ultra on my overclocked 4coredual-vsta never gets hot, so lack of shared CPU fan cooling is not a problem!

However, for people with 880pro versions of 775dual-vsta who are concerned by the warning ---> the simple answer would be to fit a 40mm fan onto your northbridge heatsink?

Last edited by jimmor; 05-11-2007 at 06:57 AM.

Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz
    Asus P5Q-E
    Kingston 2x2Gb PC2-8500
    Evga 8800GTS 512Mb

c[_]
    I flashed my 775Dual-VSTA and my MAC addresses are buggered up now (bios gives error on post, have to press f1 to continue), any way to fix that?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Mr Fantasic
    Load defaults on BIOS,
    check time and other settings

as for the networkcard mac address
    have a look at couple of posts above it mentions how to fix it.

Dave is the man!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I flashed my 775Dual-VSTA and my MAC addresses are buggered up now (bios gives error on post, have to press f1 to continue), any way to fix that?
    Asrock emailed me with a MACtool program for fixing MAC address problems I had with a 4coredual-vsta.

See linked thread below!

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread...=93127&page=30

EDIT:,

Added MACtool to this post because the link at Vr-zone is not always available?

However due to upload size and file naming restrictions enforced by this forum, compressed MACtool program into 2 ".rar" files, then renamed them as ".zip".

If using Winrar to uncompress files, then doesn't matter that "rar" extension has been renamed to "zip". However, for other "unzipper" programs, it may be best to rename the files back to their original ".rar" extension first !

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jimmor; 07-03-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz
    Asus P5Q-E
    Kingston 2x2Gb PC2-8500
    Evga 8800GTS 512Mb

c[_]
    Thanks. Now I need a floppy drive.. d'oh!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can anyone show me a picture of all vmods?

Regards

c[_]
    go back a page.

Xtreme Member

Smile voltage measure points for the Vagp and Vtt pencil mods??

I've cleaned up the others for reference - hope you don't mind -

Hey JohnnyBravo I'm having a bit of trouble finding the voltage measure points for the Vagp and Vtt pencil mods.

The pics on the thread dont show where you put BOTH probes.

Could you or someone enlighten me...?

Thanks

c[_]
    ground probe goes to ground (case, motherboard mounting screw hole, etc).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    ground probe goes to ground (case, motherboard mounting screw hole, etc).
    Exactly right - it'll be awhile before I could get the photos up but they are basically the the same as those at the beginning.

Mr Fantasic
    Does that vcore work with the 4 core vsta?
    where are the diffrent messure point on the mobo for the individual mods.
    Please high light.

thanks

Dave is the man!

Xtreme Addict
    Does that vcore work with the 4 core vsta?
    where are the diffrent messure point on the mobo for the individual mods.
    Please high light.

thanks
    From what i remember there is no difference between the duel and quadcore motherboards except for a few small alterations to resistors. The voltmods should be transparent between the two.

For vcore use any of the empty capacitor sites (white side) around the socket
    For DDR use the empty capacitor site (white side) to the left edge of the board (i think)
    For Vagp the empty capacitor site (white side) in between the PCI-E and AGP
    For VTT the 2 MOSFETS near the northbridge heatsink (large flat side)

these are from memory and could be wrong (especially the ddr one) check and if the voltages look right they probably are right.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast